Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Conservative Party - what is the point ? 10:05 - Feb 19 with 1786 viewsjohnlangy

Over the last few days, while Rishi is trying to renegotiate the NI Protocol, there has been much talk on the news platforms that the ERG are up in arms about the new settlement (even though we don't know what it may be) and are threatening a rebellion against it when it's brought to the HOC. In other words they are threatening the government because what they think may be happening doesn't fit with what they want to happen

They (the news platforms) are also reporting that Rishi's position is under threat and that some Tories are looking to bring Boris back.

In a so called democracy it' s a disgrace that these things are happening. And the Conservative party has evolved into a joke. They are actually a bunch of factions knitted together (not very well) each arguing that things should go the way they want but not willing to split away and form their own party because that would mean, heaven forfend, giving up power.

Roll on a GE and their removal.
The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 12:28 - Feb 19 with 1741 viewsKilkennyjack

An absolute self-serving disgrace John.

If anyone thinks the Johnson wing of tbe Tory party actually cares about any of the good people who live in the north of Ireland, then i have a bridge to sell you….

Mind you he could be toast soon ….

Beware of the Risen People

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 16:37 - Feb 19 with 1684 viewsmajorraglan

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 12:28 - Feb 19 by Kilkennyjack

An absolute self-serving disgrace John.

If anyone thinks the Johnson wing of tbe Tory party actually cares about any of the good people who live in the north of Ireland, then i have a bridge to sell you….

Mind you he could be toast soon ….

I’m not convinced this enquiry will prove his guilt, there has been lots of speculation that some of the people involved won’t give evidence.

Politics is a dirty game. I’ve said this for a while, but the easiest way for Sunak and some of the other Conservatives to address the Boris situation is to feed him to the wolves. If the Standards Committee probe has the evidence and find him guilty, it’s likely he’ll get a suspension which could lead to his removal. Game over - at least for the short to medium term.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 17:24]
The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 16:58 - Feb 19 with 1672 viewsKilkennyjack

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 16:37 - Feb 19 by majorraglan

I’m not convinced this enquiry will prove his guilt, there has been lots of speculation that some of the people involved won’t give evidence.

Politics is a dirty game. I’ve said this for a while, but the easiest way for Sunak and some of the other Conservatives to address the Boris situation is to feed him to the wolves. If the Standards Committee probe has the evidence and find him guilty, it’s likely he’ll get a suspension which could lead to his removal. Game over - at least for the short to medium term.

Very interesting post.

You make a very valid point.

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 17:36 - Feb 19 with 1633 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 16:37 - Feb 19 by majorraglan

The problem Sunak has is he was fined for exactly the same thing and was probably at some of these parties himself.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 19:09 - Feb 19 with 1602 viewsSullutaCreturned

In answer to the OP, there is no point!

In my opinion we need to end party politics and have the HoC filled with independents who all have free votes on whatever comes up.

We can elect MP's and we can have a presidential style election for PM, the Pm then picks his cabinet. Of course, you still have to get around a PM picking everyone who agrees with him/her be they left or right.

Party politics is killing this country. If that suggestion can never work we need to find something different that does!
The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 19:34 - Feb 19 with 1591 viewsDr_Winston

At the time the law of the land stated that such parties were verboten and anyone who attended one, especially those in charge of implementing such laws should face the penalty.

I'm more interested in an investigation into how it was decided that such laws were necessary to begin with. Much of the response to Covid is looking like kneejerk crap with every passing month.

Vaccinations? Yes. An initial lockdown to prevent spread? Yes. Measures such as social distancing and masks to retard spread until vaccinations? Yes. Everything else is suspect, especially any and all restrictions on outdoors activity.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 20:00 - Feb 19 with 1577 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 19:34 - Feb 19 by Dr_Winston

At the time the law of the land stated that such parties were verboten and anyone who attended one, especially those in charge of implementing such laws should face the penalty.

I'm more interested in an investigation into how it was decided that such laws were necessary to begin with. Much of the response to Covid is looking like kneejerk crap with every passing month.

Vaccinations? Yes. An initial lockdown to prevent spread? Yes. Measures such as social distancing and masks to retard spread until vaccinations? Yes. Everything else is suspect, especially any and all restrictions on outdoors activity.

I disagreed with the outdoor stuff at the time. Here in Skewen they closed the park so when we were only allowed out for an hour for exercise and were supposed to stay 2 metres away from people, they closed a big green space and made us use the pavements where you had to get very close to people.

It was crazy.
The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 20:16 - Feb 19 with 1570 viewsDr_Winston

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 20:00 - Feb 19 by SullutaCreturned

I disagreed with the outdoor stuff at the time. Here in Skewen they closed the park so when we were only allowed out for an hour for exercise and were supposed to stay 2 metres away from people, they closed a big green space and made us use the pavements where you had to get very close to people.

It was crazy.

You and me both. Restricting outdoors activity was always insanity given what was known about respiratory viruses. If anything they should have been encouraging people to go outdoors, not restricting the time that they could.

Far too much credence was given to kneejerk nonsense and wildly pessimistic projections by proven numpties like Neil Ferguson.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 21:29 - Feb 19 with 1534 viewsmajorraglan

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 17:36 - Feb 19 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

The problem Sunak has is he was fined for exactly the same thing and was probably at some of these parties himself.

Indeed, but the enquiry is probing the allegation that Boris deliberately lied to Parliament. We all know there were times Boris was economical with the truth, but the crux is did he deliberately lie. If they can get some What’s App messages, or emails Boris could be in bother.
The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 10:37 - Feb 21 with 1433 viewscontroversial_jack

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 19:34 - Feb 19 by Dr_Winston

Hindsight is wonderful! The world hadn't seen anything like this before, and didn't know how to deal with it. The first two waves were horrendous, with many fatalities - I knew of at least 10, plus many more who have been seriously affected by this.It wasn't helped by some calling it the flu.

The authorities were absolutely correct with the lockdown and other restrictions - a bit late in my opinion. We weren't tough enough on those who deliberately broke the restrictions. I would have liked to have seen a few jail sentences
The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 12:16 - Feb 21 with 1400 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 21:29 - Feb 19 by majorraglan

Indeed, but the enquiry is probing the allegation that Boris deliberately lied to Parliament. We all know there were times Boris was economical with the truth, but the crux is did he deliberately lie. If they can get some What’s App messages, or emails Boris could be in bother.

He won’t be in any trouble. Lying to the house will usually result in a sacking or resignation but he’s not a minister anymore, he’s already resigned. He’ll get a bit of negative PR (which he gets every day anyway) and that’s it.

Same thing happened with Blair and the “sexing up” of the dossier. He was found to have lied to the house and deliberately exaggerating the capability and intent of Iraq to strike us within 45 minutes but he was long gone from office at that point and therefore faced no real punishment.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 13:27 - Feb 21 with 1378 viewsKilkennyjack

The Conservative Party - what is the point ? on 12:16 - Feb 21 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

He won’t be in any trouble. Lying to the house will usually result in a sacking or resignation but he’s not a minister anymore, he’s already resigned. He’ll get a bit of negative PR (which he gets every day anyway) and that’s it.

Same thing happened with Blair and the “sexing up” of the dossier. He was found to have lied to the house and deliberately exaggerating the capability and intent of Iraq to strike us within 45 minutes but he was long gone from office at that point and therefore faced no real punishment.

Not really ……

The committee said Sir Lindsay ruled that “any suspension of the requisite length (ten sitting days or fourteen calendar days) following on from a report from that committee will attract the provisions of the Recall of MPs Act”.

A recall petition would mean Mr Johnson’s constituents in Uxbridge and South Ruislip could trigger a special election to remove him before the next general election.

The privileges committee unanimously backed Labour grandee Harriet Harman to chair the investigation that could determine Mr Johnson’s legacy.

He is in trouble .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024