Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20MPH punishments 08:34 - Aug 3 with 97580 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well the punishment for breaking the limit,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-confirm-how-punish-drivers-

Given how many idiots are on the roads, the delivery drivers under pressure and the actual difficutly in staying below 20 (it is difficult, I do it every week when I go to Cardiff and it's harder than you'd think, specially going downhill) there will be a lot of speeding going on.

The Senedd expect the fire brigade to become a road safety unit, how stupid is that? The fire brigade have their job and it's hard enough for them to do that the way the Senedd behaves.

Then there's the pollution problem, all those cars tootling around in second gear will fill the streets with pollution, it'll rise and rise and the few accidents stopped by this madness will be replaced tenfold and more in the years to come by serious health issues, those with asthma can look out, better buy your respirators now.

I wonder if cancers will also increase?

By the time we have all gone electric, assuming we all do, thousands of lives will be blighted by illness.
The 20MPH punishments on 16:18 - Oct 22 with 1299 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 09:20 - Oct 19 by felixstowe_jack

Drakeford has told MPs on the Welsh affairs Committee that he will take a record breaking petition seriously after it called for the 20mph limits to be scrapped.
The bad news is the Senedd will not consider it until March 2024.

He was also asked for his views on the delays on emergency vehicles especially on call firefighters who have to stick to the 20mph to get to their fire stations.

His reply "there are some individuals voices on some services that have expressed concerns"

"Emergency services are able to travel above the speed limits where there is a case to do so. None of this has changed "

He conveniently omitted to say that emergency vehicles will now be restricted to 10mph lower in the new 20mph zones than the old 30mph zones.

As far as I am aware the cap of 20mph above the speed limit is not fixed in law, it’s something decided by Forces in conjunction with the NPCC and College Of Policing and applies to standard drivers only. Police officers with advanced permits different have different guidelines.
If a Force or the police wanted to, they could increase the 20 + 20 limit to 20 +30 but that would be a matter for them.

There’s a place for 20mph limits, but not as the default. One one of my commutes to work there is a 2.3 mile stretch of road with a 20mph limit, it’s infatuating. There’s another stretch where the 20mph only lasts about 80m for 4 houses, it’s ludicrous.
The 20MPH punishments on 16:31 - Oct 22 with 1286 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 10:19 - Oct 22 by Whiterockin

Due the major problems in timekeeping there is a new bus timetable coming out in the Swansea area next Sunday 29th. Routes are being changed and busses being cut by up to 50%. Some of these busses are often 75% full at certain times with people commuting to work. Often these are workers with lower paid jobs who can not afford to drive, like nursing home staff. A 50% cut will mean that not only will some people find it difficult to get to work on time but they may not even get on a bus if it is full as it will be on occasions.

A minor tweak to timetables, I think not.

We can’t blame all the bus issues on the 20mph even though it’s a factor. A massive problem for the buses is the lack of passengers since Covid, it’s the same with the trains. Most of the buses I see are nearly always empty.

I live fairly close to a bus route and was out doors nearly all of yesterday. I saw two X11 services (mentioned in an earlier post) the first was about 1/3 full while the second bus had 3 passengers, I also saw 2 other services not of which were empty.

Some people rely on the buses for work, but overall passenger numbers are falling. The problem is that without increasing the financial subsidy the service becomes unviable and it really hits the people who need the service.
The 20MPH punishments on 16:59 - Oct 22 with 1276 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 16:31 - Oct 22 by majorraglan

We can’t blame all the bus issues on the 20mph even though it’s a factor. A massive problem for the buses is the lack of passengers since Covid, it’s the same with the trains. Most of the buses I see are nearly always empty.

I live fairly close to a bus route and was out doors nearly all of yesterday. I saw two X11 services (mentioned in an earlier post) the first was about 1/3 full while the second bus had 3 passengers, I also saw 2 other services not of which were empty.

Some people rely on the buses for work, but overall passenger numbers are falling. The problem is that without increasing the financial subsidy the service becomes unviable and it really hits the people who need the service.

Just use the money spent on Cardiff Airport it would benefit more people.
The 20MPH punishments on 17:42 - Oct 22 with 1251 viewsunion_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 16:31 - Oct 22 by majorraglan

No argument there but surely if there’s a wrong time to cut services it’s now! They need to entice people onto public transport which means making it attractive and readily available.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The 20MPH punishments on 15:10 - Oct 23 with 1170 viewspencoedjack

The 20MPH punishments on 17:42 - Oct 22 by union_jack

No argument there but surely if there’s a wrong time to cut services it’s now! They need to entice people onto public transport which means making it attractive and readily available.

(As an example) I cant imagine there will be a day in my lifetime when I can travel to/from a mid week Swans match on public transport.

Instead Ill have to use roads with a speed limit of 20mph & large chucks of the motorway with a 50 mph speed limit to reduce pollution as I drive past a bloody steel works.

People in Wales are being taken for mugs & some are happy to take it.
The 20MPH punishments on 17:37 - Oct 23 with 1138 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 15:10 - Oct 23 by pencoedjack

(As an example) I cant imagine there will be a day in my lifetime when I can travel to/from a mid week Swans match on public transport.

Instead Ill have to use roads with a speed limit of 20mph & large chucks of the motorway with a 50 mph speed limit to reduce pollution as I drive past a bloody steel works.

Plans here on Wirral for this .
Very contentious here

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 20MPH punishments on 18:13 - Oct 23 with 1123 viewsbuilthjack

The 20MPH punishments on 17:37 - Oct 23 by onehunglow

Plans here on Wirral for this .
Very contentious here

It will be all over the UK within a few years.
The English seem to be taking a leaf out of Marky’s book.
You should start a petition.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The 20MPH punishments on 18:28 - Oct 23 with 1099 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 18:13 - Oct 23 by builthjack

At least in England it is applied sensibly and not a blanket throughout the country like Wales, which is slowly being rescinded.
Login to get fewer ads

The 20MPH punishments on 18:31 - Oct 23 with 1084 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 18:13 - Oct 23 by builthjack

We will see

The 20MPH punishments on 19:07 - Oct 23 with 1061 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 15:10 - Oct 23 by pencoedjack

How many 20mph roads do you have to encounter from Pencoed to the Stadium then? Once you are on the M4 you won’t have to encounter any.
As far as the 50mph limit on the M4 is concerned unless , as far as I am aware, the only section of the motorway with 50mph limits is the Port Talbot section which was extended a couple of miles recently, the majority of which has been in force for many years.
The 20MPH punishments on 19:28 - Oct 23 with 1040 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 19:07 - Oct 23 by lifelong

How many 20mph roads do you have to encounter from Pencoed to the Stadium then? Once you are on the M4 you won’t have to encounter any.
As far as the 50mph limit on the M4 is concerned unless , as far as I am aware, the only section of the motorway with 50mph limits is the Port Talbot section which was extended a couple of miles recently, the majority of which has been in force for many years.

There's a 50mph limit up by Newport too.

I'd have to know where Pencoed was travelling to in swansea to know which 20mph roads he needed to use.

The Port Talbot stretch though, the steel works is still (for now) puping out more pollution than the cars do AND the old stretch of the M4 by Baglan still has a 60 mph limit, it's makes no sense.
The 20MPH punishments on 21:00 - Oct 23 with 977 viewspencoedjack

The 20MPH punishments on 19:07 - Oct 23 by lifelong

Too many that’s all you need to know fella.

If you think there is a requirement to drive at 50 mph on a motorway I’d stick to the wonderful public transport we have.
The 20MPH punishments on 21:32 - Oct 23 with 948 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 21:00 - Oct 23 by pencoedjack

Too many that’s all you need to know fella.

If you think there is a requirement to drive at 50 mph on a motorway I’d stick to the wonderful public transport we have.

Come on mun….how many?
The 20MPH punishments on 21:36 - Oct 23 with 946 viewsmajorraglan

The elevated section of the M4 in Port Talbot has always been 50mph. When it was first built it was known as the A48(M) and was built largely on stilts. The houses are very close by and while the walls are pretty substantial after being reinforced, there was some doubt whether the walls could stop an artic traveling at 70mph.
The 20MPH punishments on 21:55 - Oct 23 with 920 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 21:36 - Oct 23 by majorraglan

The elevated section of the M4 in Port Talbot has always been 50mph. When it was first built it was known as the A48(M) and was built largely on stilts. The houses are very close by and while the walls are pretty substantial after being reinforced, there was some doubt whether the walls could stop an artic traveling at 70mph.

That's fair enough but if you are travelling west from there, there is a relatively new 50 mph zone "to reduce pollution". Although there is industry on your left pouring out more pollution than virtually anywhere in Wales. On your right and closer to housing is a duel carriageway with a higher speed limit. It makes no real sense.
The 20MPH punishments on 22:10 - Oct 23 with 900 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 21:55 - Oct 23 by Whiterockin

That's fair enough but if you are travelling west from there, there is a relatively new 50 mph zone "to reduce pollution". Although there is industry on your left pouring out more pollution than virtually anywhere in Wales. On your right and closer to housing is a duel carriageway with a higher speed limit. It makes no real sense.

The industry on the left and is much less polluting than the old BP site, but the point you make about the other roads is valid. The only observation I’d make about the old A48 is that it’s now much quieter than it used to be.

I do support efforts to reduce pollution and improve the world in which we live, but what really does my head in is the fact that if the WG, U.K. and various councils are that concerned about the effect of pollution from traffic why do they let developers build brand new housing estates a stones throw from these roads.
The 20MPH punishments on 22:21 - Oct 23 with 892 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 22:10 - Oct 23 by majorraglan

The industry on the left and is much less polluting than the old BP site, but the point you make about the other roads is valid. The only observation I’d make about the old A48 is that it’s now much quieter than it used to be.

I do support efforts to reduce pollution and improve the world in which we live, but what really does my head in is the fact that if the WG, U.K. and various councils are that concerned about the effect of pollution from traffic why do they let developers build brand new housing estates a stones throw from these roads.

In England the speed limit to reduce pollution in many areas is 60 mph which seems more practical. It also avoids the issue of HGV's driving right up your backside at 50. There has to be a sensible balance for pollution and safety.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:34 - Oct 24 with 796 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 21:36 - Oct 23 by majorraglan

Not for the length we now have , there was one camera positioned between the Baglan and Port Talbot junctions east bound , The walls were upgraded 25 years ago for the reason you stated

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 20MPH punishments on 09:49 - Oct 24 with 791 viewsDr_Winston

Does anyone (apart from Lifey I'd imagine) have any serious doubt that eventually moves will be made to add even more 50mph zones to the M4 with a view to making that the limit in its entirety in Wales?

Any stretch of the road that passes through an urban area will be a target for it. Hell, they've had temporary 50mph signs up around the Ynysforgan Roundabout stretch for years. Signs that everyone appears to ignore, but it wouldn't take them long to stick some average speed cameras up and make that permanent too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 20MPH punishments on 09:55 - Oct 24 with 786 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 09:49 - Oct 24 by Dr_Winston

Does anyone (apart from Lifey I'd imagine) have any serious doubt that eventually moves will be made to add even more 50mph zones to the M4 with a view to making that the limit in its entirety in Wales?

Any stretch of the road that passes through an urban area will be a target for it. Hell, they've had temporary 50mph signs up around the Ynysforgan Roundabout stretch for years. Signs that everyone appears to ignore, but it wouldn't take them long to stick some average speed cameras up and make that permanent too.

I don’t seem to remember ever supporting 50mph limits on motorways, please enlighten me if I have?
The 20MPH punishments on 10:12 - Oct 24 with 778 viewsDr_Winston

The 20MPH punishments on 09:55 - Oct 24 by lifelong

I don’t seem to remember ever supporting 50mph limits on motorways, please enlighten me if I have?

I didn't say that you'd support it.

I said that you'd deny that it was part of their plan, just like you continue to deny the reality that the 20mph limit was not brought in for safety reasons depite the Welsh Govt admitting as much in their own transport policy documents.

When they do bring in the 50mph blanket motorway limit, it'll be the fault of people who let them get away with it this time. I'd really rather not be included in that category. Would you?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 20MPH punishments on 11:05 - Oct 24 with 757 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 10:12 - Oct 24 by Dr_Winston

I didn't say that you'd support it.

I said that you'd deny that it was part of their plan, just like you continue to deny the reality that the 20mph limit was not brought in for safety reasons depite the Welsh Govt admitting as much in their own transport policy documents.

When they do bring in the 50mph blanket motorway limit, it'll be the fault of people who let them get away with it this time. I'd really rather not be included in that category. Would you?

Yes, I continue to deny that the 20mph limit was not brought in for safety reasons because I believe it was. You’re using that word blanket again when the 20mph is clearly not a blanket regulation and you continue to claim it is.
I remain in the category of people would like to see better road safety which includes reduced deaths, injuries and road accidents.
The 50mph blanket motorway limit is merely speculation.
The 20MPH punishments on 11:25 - Oct 24 with 744 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 11:05 - Oct 24 by lifelong

Yes, I continue to deny that the 20mph limit was not brought in for safety reasons because I believe it was. You’re using that word blanket again when the 20mph is clearly not a blanket regulation and you continue to claim it is.
I remain in the category of people would like to see better road safety which includes reduced deaths, injuries and road accidents.

What is the difference between a blanket 20mph speed limit and a default 20mph speed limit.

"Wales will be one of the first countries in the world, and the first nation in the UK, to introduce legislation to have a default 20mph speed limit on roads where cars mix with pedestrians and cyclists."

From the Senedd website.
The 20MPH punishments on 11:46 - Oct 24 with 732 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 11:05 - Oct 24 by lifelong

Not forgetting actually teaching people to drive not somply to pass a rudementary test
A car is a man's phallic accessory
Fact

The 20MPH punishments on 13:06 - Oct 24 with 701 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 11:25 - Oct 24 by Whiterockin

What is the difference between a blanket 20mph speed limit and a default 20mph speed limit.

"Wales will be one of the first countries in the world, and the first nation in the UK, to introduce legislation to have a default 20mph speed limit on roads where cars mix with pedestrians and cyclists."

From the Senedd website.

I would suggest that a default 20mph speed limit means it will be the speed limit unless traffic signs tell you otherwise. A blanket speed limit would mean all 30mph limit roads will now become 20mph which clearly hasn’t happened.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024