Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20MPH punishments 08:34 - Aug 3 with 97646 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well the punishment for breaking the limit,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-confirm-how-punish-drivers-

Given how many idiots are on the roads, the delivery drivers under pressure and the actual difficutly in staying below 20 (it is difficult, I do it every week when I go to Cardiff and it's harder than you'd think, specially going downhill) there will be a lot of speeding going on.

The Senedd expect the fire brigade to become a road safety unit, how stupid is that? The fire brigade have their job and it's hard enough for them to do that the way the Senedd behaves.

Then there's the pollution problem, all those cars tootling around in second gear will fill the streets with pollution, it'll rise and rise and the few accidents stopped by this madness will be replaced tenfold and more in the years to come by serious health issues, those with asthma can look out, better buy your respirators now.

I wonder if cancers will also increase?

By the time we have all gone electric, assuming we all do, thousands of lives will be blighted by illness.
The 20MPH punishments on 19:10 - Jan 11 with 876 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 16:31 - Jan 11 by controversial_jack

I drive a car and know that journey times are not significantly longer. Not all roads are 20 mph either

I travel through 1 village where there is a 20mph speed limit for almost 2.5 miles, it now takes 7.5 mins to travel what would have taken me 5mins at 30mph - that’s a 50% increase. Granted not all villages are like that, but it’s one that I encounter on my regular commute.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:19 - Jan 12 with 788 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 19:10 - Jan 11 by majorraglan

I travel through 1 village where there is a 20mph speed limit for almost 2.5 miles, it now takes 7.5 mins to travel what would have taken me 5mins at 30mph - that’s a 50% increase. Granted not all villages are like that, but it’s one that I encounter on my regular commute.

Even if it's the case, it's a small price to pay for saving lives
The 20MPH punishments on 09:48 - Jan 12 with 777 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 09:19 - Jan 12 by controversial_jack

Even if it's the case, it's a small price to pay for saving lives

With the 20mph speed limit now confirmed as actually 26mph before a prosecution. How much difference will it actually make. I do understand that business vehicles with trackers have to maintain the legal limit as a maximum otherwise the driver faces repercussions from the employer, but they are in the minority.
[Post edited 12 Jan 9:51]
The 20MPH punishments on 09:58 - Jan 12 with 762 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 09:48 - Jan 12 by Whiterockin

With the 20mph speed limit now confirmed as actually 26mph before a prosecution. How much difference will it actually make. I do understand that business vehicles with trackers have to maintain the legal limit as a maximum otherwise the driver faces repercussions from the employer, but they are in the minority.

It's 22 mph not 26. Regardless, drivers don't follow any speed limit. Just drive along the M4, hardly anyone keeps to 70
The 20MPH punishments on 10:04 - Jan 12 with 764 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 09:58 - Jan 12 by controversial_jack

It's 22 mph not 26. Regardless, drivers don't follow any speed limit. Just drive along the M4, hardly anyone keeps to 70

I wolud say that 95% of people drive at 70mph or under on motorways. No HGV can even get near that speed.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The 20MPH punishments on 10:36 - Jan 12 with 759 viewsWhiterockin

Not according to Lee Waters.

"His transport minister Lee Waters said on Monday that "for now" prosecutions will start at 26mph in a 20mph zone."

Plus according to Mark Drakeford it can be considerably higher if you are "genuinely confused".

A complete farce all round.
The 20MPH punishments on 12:47 - Jan 12 with 720 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 10:36 - Jan 12 by Whiterockin

Not according to Lee Waters.

"His transport minister Lee Waters said on Monday that "for now" prosecutions will start at 26mph in a 20mph zone."

Plus according to Mark Drakeford it can be considerably higher if you are "genuinely confused".

A complete farce all round.

I was told by a driving instructor that it would be 22 mph, but ultimately it's down to the police not politicians
The 20MPH punishments on 13:48 - Jan 12 with 703 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The 20MPH punishments on 12:47 - Jan 12 by controversial_jack

I was told by a driving instructor that it would be 22 mph, but ultimately it's down to the police not politicians

No it’s down to politicians because they are the ones who legislate the rules the police should be following. If the police don’t have an effing clue what the rules are because they are so vague and unfollowable then that’s down to the Senedd.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Login to get fewer ads

The 20MPH punishments on 13:52 - Jan 12 with 693 viewsJumpingJackFlash

I think it’s very unlikely that anyone would be prosecuted for doing 22mph.

How accurate is the equipment that measured the speed at 22mph? When was the equipment last calibrated?

Reasonable doubt should be easy to establish by any half decent lawyer.
The 20MPH punishments on 16:38 - Jan 12 with 668 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 10:04 - Jan 12 by felixstowe_jack

I wolud say that 95% of people drive at 70mph or under on motorways. No HGV can even get near that speed.

I wouldn't. When I was regularly on the M4 visiting my sister in Cardiff last year I was often doing just above 70 and more cars were flying past me than I was overtaking. Most cars were doing a similar speed to myself.

A lot of people break the speed limits and I reckon 30% regularly break the 70 limit by a lot.
The 20MPH punishments on 17:49 - Jan 12 with 636 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 16:38 - Jan 12 by SullutaCreturned

I wouldn't. When I was regularly on the M4 visiting my sister in Cardiff last year I was often doing just above 70 and more cars were flying past me than I was overtaking. Most cars were doing a similar speed to myself.

A lot of people break the speed limits and I reckon 30% regularly break the 70 limit by a lot.

And yet our motorways are amongst the safest in the world

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 20MPH punishments on 18:51 - Jan 12 with 617 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 13:48 - Jan 12 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

No it’s down to politicians because they are the ones who legislate the rules the police should be following. If the police don’t have an effing clue what the rules are because they are so vague and unfollowable then that’s down to the Senedd.

Politicians make the legislation, but it’s down to the police to enforce those within the framework of the law. That’s how it works in a democracy
The 20MPH punishments on 18:54 - Jan 12 with 616 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 17:49 - Jan 12 by Boundy

And yet our motorways are amongst the safest in the world

Maybe, but they still exceed the legal limits
The 20MPH punishments on 19:49 - Jan 12 with 589 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 18:51 - Jan 12 by controversial_jack

Politicians make the legislation, but it’s down to the police to enforce those within the framework of the law. That’s how it works in a democracy

Yeah and literally nobody gets punished for doing 22mph. There is a tolernce they have to allow for and then theres the small fact that most cars speedometers are not totally accurate and if you speedo shows 22mph you are very probably doing 18/19mph. Just look at ths peed signs you pass that rgister your speed, they always show less than your speedo.
The 20MPH punishments on 20:32 - Jan 12 with 566 viewsmajorraglan

Enforcing at 22mph sits outside NPCC guidance.
The 20MPH punishments on 21:42 - Jan 12 with 541 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 20:32 - Jan 12 by majorraglan

Guidance is just that. It’s not law, but who knows
The 20MPH punishments on 22:33 - Jan 12 with 526 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 20:32 - Jan 12 by majorraglan

I know quite a few local residents in The Belgrave Road, Gorseinon area who have been prosecuted via a mobile camera at 22 mph.
The 20MPH punishments on 22:35 - Jan 12 with 520 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 22:33 - Jan 12 by lifelong

I know quite a few local residents in The Belgrave Road, Gorseinon area who have been prosecuted via a mobile camera at 22 mph.

You would think that local residents would know better.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:43 - Jan 13 with 455 viewsKilkennyjack

The 20MPH punishments on 09:48 - Jan 12 by Whiterockin

I guess its all relative.

If its 26 in a 20, then its 36 in a 30.
You cant compare 26 with 30.

It will save lives for minimum inconveniance to most.

A lot of 20 zones in England for comparison.

Beware of the Risen People

The 20MPH punishments on 09:51 - Jan 13 with 450 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 09:43 - Jan 13 by Kilkennyjack

Only in areas where it has proved they will reduce accidents, outside Schools , Hospitals etc. It is not the blanket/default speed limit as it is In Urban Wales.

The 20MPH punishments on 09:58 - Jan 13 with 440 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 22:33 - Jan 12 by lifelong

Then they should complain and refer to the NPCC guidance and ask why it’s not being applied.

A few years ago a mate of mine was booked by a traffic cop for doing 44 in a 40, he wrote in, quoted the guidance and the case was dropped. The guidance was introduced because of inaccuracies in speedometers which are not calibrated.
The 20MPH punishments on 10:00 - Jan 13 with 440 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 09:43 - Jan 13 by Kilkennyjack

Then it all depends on the comparison criteria. A 20 mph zone in a inner city London would be unfair to compare to the 20 mph in Welsh villages like Pontlliw. It would need to be compared to areas with similar accident data pre speed reduction. Anyone can search the net to find data to back up their opinion even if it's wrong and clearly flawed.
The 20MPH punishments on 10:09 - Jan 13 with 425 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 22:35 - Jan 12 by Whiterockin

You would think that local residents would know better.

But if your speed is 10% out which manufacturing tolerances used to allow, then you may not know you’re over.

Lots of the old stick on the dashboard sat nav’s display the cars’s speed - if you have one give it a go. Some Speedo’s are very inaccurate which is why the police don’t reply on their speedometers to do speeders.
The 20MPH punishments on 10:19 - Jan 13 with 424 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 10:09 - Jan 13 by majorraglan

But if your speed is 10% out which manufacturing tolerances used to allow, then you may not know you’re over.

Lots of the old stick on the dashboard sat nav’s display the cars’s speed - if you have one give it a go. Some Speedo’s are very inaccurate which is why the police don’t reply on their speedometers to do speeders.

By law speedos are not allowed to under record your speed. Most over record by 5 to 10% . A fairly easy check is to drive towards the many roadside speed radar signs displays which display your speed. They are often found as you approach 30mph zones.

I think you find the police often use their speedos as well a trigger points like Bridges to calibrate their equipment. They usually record all the information on a dashboard camera and accepted as evidence in courts.

The 20MPH punishments on 13:26 - Jan 13 with 396 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Nice.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/village-without-bus-route-because-

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024