Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20MPH punishments 08:34 - Aug 3 with 97623 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well the punishment for breaking the limit,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-confirm-how-punish-drivers-

Given how many idiots are on the roads, the delivery drivers under pressure and the actual difficutly in staying below 20 (it is difficult, I do it every week when I go to Cardiff and it's harder than you'd think, specially going downhill) there will be a lot of speeding going on.

The Senedd expect the fire brigade to become a road safety unit, how stupid is that? The fire brigade have their job and it's hard enough for them to do that the way the Senedd behaves.

Then there's the pollution problem, all those cars tootling around in second gear will fill the streets with pollution, it'll rise and rise and the few accidents stopped by this madness will be replaced tenfold and more in the years to come by serious health issues, those with asthma can look out, better buy your respirators now.

I wonder if cancers will also increase?

By the time we have all gone electric, assuming we all do, thousands of lives will be blighted by illness.
The 20MPH punishments on 18:34 - Jan 19 with 1577 viewsAnotherJohn

The 20MPH punishments on 17:57 - Jan 19 by majorraglan

Nope.

You’ve it wrong about Swansea City council getting additional income from a camera car and the new 20mph speed limit, enforcement of speed limits is the responsibility of the police and Go Safe and the revenues generated go in to road safety initiatives or the government in Westminster.

The camera car is used to target decriminalised offences, parking on double yellow lines, stopping in bus bays/ lanes, parking in disabled bays etc.

Okay, I hold my hands up re speeding fines, but what about my last sentence? It seems bizarre that our Council can predict higher revenue from fines, without any basis for thinking that the number of actual offences committed is increasing.
The 20MPH punishments on 18:43 - Jan 19 with 1561 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 18:34 - Jan 19 by AnotherJohn

Okay, I hold my hands up re speeding fines, but what about my last sentence? It seems bizarre that our Council can predict higher revenue from fines, without any basis for thinking that the number of actual offences committed is increasing.

They’ve probably looked at how much 1 car is pulling in and then just doubled it. These cars can generate huge amounts of revenue, they can just drive round, capture images of cars “breaking the law”, take the film back to the office and send out the penalty notices.
The 20MPH punishments on 10:19 - Jan 20 with 1494 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The 20MPH punishments on 17:36 - Jan 19 by AnotherJohn

Extract from Wales online story about budget pressures affecting Swansea Council.

"The council also plans to step up its enforcement of traffic offences and operate another camera enforcement car, bringing in an extra £193,000."

It looks like the new speed limit may indeed be connected to revenue generation. What do people think about the idea that a council can predict an increase in income from fines without any data to indicate a real-world increase in the incidence of unlawful behaviour?

Pity they can't focus on improving their service delivery performance.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The 20MPH punishments on 14:38 - Jan 20 with 1455 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 18:43 - Jan 19 by majorraglan

They’ve probably looked at how much 1 car is pulling in and then just doubled it. These cars can generate huge amounts of revenue, they can just drive round, capture images of cars “breaking the law”, take the film back to the office and send out the penalty notices.

Therei sdodgy parking everywhere, if they put another 2 cars out I'm sure they'd pay for themselves easily in th first year and then make over 500k per year between them. There's people parking on yellow lines, in disabled or loading bays and on pavements all over town.

A car will atch more people than the traffic wardens too and culd replace them, 4 cars friving around Swansea is cheaper than 10 traffic wardens in the long run and probably more profitable.
The 20MPH punishments on 20:31 - Jan 20 with 1414 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 14:38 - Jan 20 by SullutaCreturned

Therei sdodgy parking everywhere, if they put another 2 cars out I'm sure they'd pay for themselves easily in th first year and then make over 500k per year between them. There's people parking on yellow lines, in disabled or loading bays and on pavements all over town.

A car will atch more people than the traffic wardens too and culd replace them, 4 cars friving around Swansea is cheaper than 10 traffic wardens in the long run and probably more profitable.

Down our way I think it’s the council’s civilian traffic wardens who are crewing the camera car, but you’re right about the money generation. By the time they’ve patrolled Oxford Street and and issued maybe 1 ticket, they could have riven from the from Swansea to Uplands and captured a dozen parking offences on camera.
[Post edited 20 Jan 20:35]
The 20MPH punishments on 20:58 - Jan 20 with 1384 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 20:31 - Jan 20 by majorraglan

Down our way I think it’s the council’s civilian traffic wardens who are crewing the camera car, but you’re right about the money generation. By the time they’ve patrolled Oxford Street and and issued maybe 1 ticket, they could have riven from the from Swansea to Uplands and captured a dozen parking offences on camera.
[Post edited 20 Jan 20:35]

When I was working in the town centre and I walked up and down the Kingsway 5/6 times a day I would see 10-12 offences every time. There were often 3-4 cars parked with 4 whees on the pavement outisde the barbers (Ace of Shades is it?) Then the disabled bays were ften full but with no blue badges on show, people stopped on loading only or yellow lines everywhere in the side streets. If a car just went around the city centre all day it'd pick up loads.
The 20MPH punishments on 21:38 - Jan 20 with 1357 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 20:58 - Jan 20 by SullutaCreturned

When I was working in the town centre and I walked up and down the Kingsway 5/6 times a day I would see 10-12 offences every time. There were often 3-4 cars parked with 4 whees on the pavement outisde the barbers (Ace of Shades is it?) Then the disabled bays were ften full but with no blue badges on show, people stopped on loading only or yellow lines everywhere in the side streets. If a car just went around the city centre all day it'd pick up loads.

Biggest bugbear for me is people parking in bus stops, making it impossible for busses to pull up to the kerb for wheelchair access onto the bus. Put an app out there where we can just take a photo for an automatic fine, it would stop immediately.
The 20MPH punishments on 17:36 - Jan 21 with 1258 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 21:38 - Jan 20 by Whiterockin

Biggest bugbear for me is people parking in bus stops, making it impossible for busses to pull up to the kerb for wheelchair access onto the bus. Put an app out there where we can just take a photo for an automatic fine, it would stop immediately.

You can take a picture and send it in on the police website, the same place you can send cctv and dashcam footgae to.

If you're luckythe police may even do something about it.
Login to get fewer ads

The 20MPH punishments on 17:57 - Jan 21 with 1231 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 17:36 - Jan 21 by SullutaCreturned

You can take a picture and send it in on the police website, the same place you can send cctv and dashcam footgae to.

If you're luckythe police may even do something about it.

Parking in bus stops etc is the responsibility of the council as it was “decriminalised” several years ago, the full breakdown of who does what can be found below.

https://www.swansea.gov.uk/civilparkingenforcement
The 20MPH punishments on 19:22 - Jan 24 with 1116 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Interesting data on the 20 mph blanket introduction which is now in force on 37% of all roads in Wales.

Average speed has been reduced by 2.1 mph and is now 22mph down from 20mph. Over 50% of motorist exceed the 27mph enforcement limit.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The 20MPH punishments on 13:37 - Jan 25 with 1032 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 19:22 - Jan 24 by felixstowe_jack

Interesting data on the 20 mph blanket introduction which is now in force on 37% of all roads in Wales.

Average speed has been reduced by 2.1 mph and is now 22mph down from 20mph. Over 50% of motorist exceed the 27mph enforcement limit.

50% of motorists would exceed the limit if it was 30mph or 70 mph. The enforcement limit i believe is 22mph not 27
The 20MPH punishments on 14:15 - Jan 25 with 1022 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 13:37 - Jan 25 by controversial_jack

50% of motorists would exceed the limit if it was 30mph or 70 mph. The enforcement limit i believe is 22mph not 27

The police have admitted they won't enforce anything that is not 10% above the speed limit plus 4 mph

20 +10% is 22 plus 4 is 26mph glad to clarify it for you.

Not sure where you get this myth that 50% of motorist drive above 70mph on a motorway. 90% seems happy to cruise between 65 and 70.

The 20MPH punishments on 12:59 - Jan 26 with 969 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 14:15 - Jan 25 by felixstowe_jack

The police have admitted they won't enforce anything that is not 10% above the speed limit plus 4 mph

20 +10% is 22 plus 4 is 26mph glad to clarify it for you.

Not sure where you get this myth that 50% of motorist drive above 70mph on a motorway. 90% seems happy to cruise between 65 and 70.

If motorists will exceed the limit at 20mph, then they have no regard for the road rules and would do the same whatever the limit is

Not sure where you drive, but a large percentage go above 70mph, some considerably quicker too.

Apparently, they have been enforcing it at 22mph, in Gorseinon as one poster has pointed out
The 20MPH punishments on 18:36 - Jan 26 with 921 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 12:59 - Jan 26 by controversial_jack

If motorists will exceed the limit at 20mph, then they have no regard for the road rules and would do the same whatever the limit is

Not sure where you drive, but a large percentage go above 70mph, some considerably quicker too.

Apparently, they have been enforcing it at 22mph, in Gorseinon as one poster has pointed out

Doubt that. Any one given a speeding ticket for 22mph can easily challenge it a court. They police would have to prove their equipment has been recently calibrated accurately and provide the calibration records. That is why they generally allow 10% plus 4mph to allow for a creditable degree of confidence in the accuracy of their equipment and allow for human error.

As has been proved in the recent post office scandel computer controlled equipment is not infallible.

The 20MPH punishments on 22:04 - Jan 26 with 890 viewsBoundy

this is the main reason why this has been imposed upon us

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/16/pro-cycling-sustrans-cash-charity-lo

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 20MPH punishments on 22:40 - Jan 26 with 869 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 18:36 - Jan 26 by felixstowe_jack

Doubt that. Any one given a speeding ticket for 22mph can easily challenge it a court. They police would have to prove their equipment has been recently calibrated accurately and provide the calibration records. That is why they generally allow 10% plus 4mph to allow for a creditable degree of confidence in the accuracy of their equipment and allow for human error.

As has been proved in the recent post office scandel computer controlled equipment is not infallible.

Agreed, not only that but it sits outside NPCC guidance.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:27 - Jan 27 with 830 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 22:40 - Jan 26 by majorraglan

Agreed, not only that but it sits outside NPCC guidance.

A guidance is not law, Police can enforce what they live above the limit, whether they want to or not is another matter
The 20MPH punishments on 17:46 - Jan 27 with 789 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 09:27 - Jan 27 by controversial_jack

A guidance is not law, Police can enforce what they live above the limit, whether they want to or not is another matter

They police are unlikely to try enforcement of 22mph.
A) They don't have the manpower to do it.
B) They have already stated that they won't do that low a limit
C) They have started anyone driving safety at 25mph will be dealt with by roadside engagement. Which means just a verbal warning.
D) They have stated that only motorist driving dangerously upto 25mph or over 26pmh will issued with a fix penalty and or speed awareness course.

E) As previously explained the police cannot prove beyond all reasonable doubt to the accuracy of their equipment at only 22mph.

The 20MPH punishments on 18:05 - Jan 27 with 781 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 09:27 - Jan 27 by controversial_jack

No it’s not the law, but it’s the rule book by which the police work. A mate of mine was pulled and reported for doing 44mph in a 40mph zone. We had a chance conversation about it a few days after he was done and I suggested he questioned the validity of the FPN. He subsequently contacted the police and the FPN was withdrawn.
The 20MPH punishments on 22:42 - Jan 31 with 686 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 22:04 - Jan 26 by Boundy

this is the main reason why this has been imposed upon us

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/16/pro-cycling-sustrans-cash-charity-lo

Sustrans gets from donations and grants? Total income includes £7,543,420 from 136 government contract(s) and £92,955,177 from 15 government grant(s)
https://register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-search/-/charity-
This organisation has had a big influence on Welsh policy , is that right that a former director (lee Waters ) of the "charity" is now the biggest exponent of that policy .
Something stinks in the Bay and it's not just the stagnant water

The 20MPH punishments on 16:16 - Feb 1 with 612 viewsSullutaCreturned

This week the evidence of wasted money has started, Baglan bay Energy park and Peniel Green Road from Birchgrove roundabout to New road had been changed to 20mph, now they have been changed back to 30 apparently.

A waste of time and money that will be replicated many times across Wales.

Pee poor planning, preparation and implementation means this will cost a lot more than it needed too, Lee Waters has driven change based on his personal ideology and now the 2 main contenders for FM are backtracking and openly saying they will review the policy. It won't go away now but hopefully sensible changes will happen.

Lee Waters, Mr 12000 miles expenses claim who has a second home less than an hours drive from his main home, the person who doesn't want the rest of us to do as he does, just as he says.
The 20MPH punishments on 16:22 - Feb 1 with 603 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 16:16 - Feb 1 by SullutaCreturned

This week the evidence of wasted money has started, Baglan bay Energy park and Peniel Green Road from Birchgrove roundabout to New road had been changed to 20mph, now they have been changed back to 30 apparently.

A waste of time and money that will be replicated many times across Wales.

Pee poor planning, preparation and implementation means this will cost a lot more than it needed too, Lee Waters has driven change based on his personal ideology and now the 2 main contenders for FM are backtracking and openly saying they will review the policy. It won't go away now but hopefully sensible changes will happen.

Lee Waters, Mr 12000 miles expenses claim who has a second home less than an hours drive from his main home, the person who doesn't want the rest of us to do as he does, just as he says.

The Senedd have refused to cover the cost changing back and have said the local council has to meet the cost. This is holding some councils back from doing what is clearly required. Senedds mistakes the Senedd should pay.
The 20MPH punishments on 19:11 - Feb 1 with 569 viewsDr_Winston

The 20MPH punishments on 16:22 - Feb 1 by Whiterockin

The Senedd have refused to cover the cost changing back and have said the local council has to meet the cost. This is holding some councils back from doing what is clearly required. Senedds mistakes the Senedd should pay.

Personally I'd make the AM's responsible for this decision pay out of their own pockets. Might make them think twice about pushing through such idiotic policies in the future.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 20MPH punishments on 20:01 - Feb 1 with 555 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 19:11 - Feb 1 by Dr_Winston

Personally I'd make the AM's responsible for this decision pay out of their own pockets. Might make them think twice about pushing through such idiotic policies in the future.

When you consider that Swansea City Council for example are over 600 million in debt ,that figure was only matched during the 1920s and finally paid off in 2002 ,then what's a miserly couple of million between community charge payers

The 20MPH punishments on 09:04 - Feb 2 with 492 viewsBoundy

I see that Charity's are m not bound by FOIs , how convenient should you wish to hide where your " donations " come from

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024