Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20MPH punishments 08:34 - Aug 3 with 97559 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well the punishment for breaking the limit,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-confirm-how-punish-drivers-

Given how many idiots are on the roads, the delivery drivers under pressure and the actual difficutly in staying below 20 (it is difficult, I do it every week when I go to Cardiff and it's harder than you'd think, specially going downhill) there will be a lot of speeding going on.

The Senedd expect the fire brigade to become a road safety unit, how stupid is that? The fire brigade have their job and it's hard enough for them to do that the way the Senedd behaves.

Then there's the pollution problem, all those cars tootling around in second gear will fill the streets with pollution, it'll rise and rise and the few accidents stopped by this madness will be replaced tenfold and more in the years to come by serious health issues, those with asthma can look out, better buy your respirators now.

I wonder if cancers will also increase?

By the time we have all gone electric, assuming we all do, thousands of lives will be blighted by illness.
The 20MPH punishments on 13:14 - Feb 2 with 1199 viewsAnotherJohn

I just drove along Cockett Road and passed the lay-by opposite the old Hill House Hospital site where the speed enforcement vehicle often sets up. However, rather than the usual highly- visible van, a white estate car was parked there. Coming from Uplands this just looked like a normal car and I thought somebody had just pulled over for a bit. Returning in the other direction 30 minutes later, I noticed that the tailgate was painted with the usual yellow warning pattern and that it is indeed a speed camera car. Looked a bit sneaky to me. I would be surprised if a few weren't caught out.
[Post edited 2 Feb 18:02]
The 20MPH punishments on 21:21 - Feb 2 with 1144 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 13:14 - Feb 2 by AnotherJohn

I just drove along Cockett Road and passed the lay-by opposite the old Hill House Hospital site where the speed enforcement vehicle often sets up. However, rather than the usual highly- visible van, a white estate car was parked there. Coming from Uplands this just looked like a normal car and I thought somebody had just pulled over for a bit. Returning in the other direction 30 minutes later, I noticed that the tailgate was painted with the usual yellow warning pattern and that it is indeed a speed camera car. Looked a bit sneaky to me. I would be surprised if a few weren't caught out.

This is the new norm , I thought the mark vans weer there as a visible deterrent , now they're resorting to tactics just to obtain convictions

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 20MPH punishments on 22:00 - Feb 2 with 1128 viewslifelong

Isn’t it 30 mph by there?
The 20MPH punishments on 23:09 - Feb 2 with 1123 viewsmajorraglan

I’d be surprised if it was a Safety Camera Partnership speed vehicle, it sounds like one of the DVLA ANPR car tax vehivles, it’s often down my way sitting in a lay-by pinging the car tax dodgers.
The 20MPH punishments on 23:13 - Feb 2 with 1120 viewsAnotherJohn

The 20MPH punishments on 23:09 - Feb 2 by majorraglan

I’d be surprised if it was a Safety Camera Partnership speed vehicle, it sounds like one of the DVLA ANPR car tax vehivles, it’s often down my way sitting in a lay-by pinging the car tax dodgers.

It may well have been an ANPR vehicle. There was a logo on the side which may have contained those letters. You are more familiar with the types of enforcement vehicles than I am.
The 20MPH punishments on 23:18 - Feb 2 with 1109 viewsBoundy

https://oratto.co.uk/blog/motoring-offences/unmarked-speed-camera-vans-what-uk-m

The 20MPH punishments on 10:17 - Feb 3 with 1060 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 23:18 - Feb 2 by Boundy

https://oratto.co.uk/blog/motoring-offences/unmarked-speed-camera-vans-what-uk-m

So clearly a money making exercise and not a preventive measure.
The 20MPH punishments on 17:50 - Feb 3 with 1010 viewsDr_Winston

The 20MPH punishments on 10:17 - Feb 3 by Whiterockin

So clearly a money making exercise and not a preventive measure.

It's never been about safety.

There's a mobile speed camera location around the corner from Mrs. Winston's house, ostensibly because of the nearby school. Not once have I ever seen a van there during school hours, when there are children around. Only ever at weekends, when there are none.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

The 20MPH punishments on 06:27 - Feb 9 with 919 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/number-drivers-caught-exceeding-20

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The 20MPH punishments on 06:33 - Feb 9 with 918 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 06:27 - Feb 9 by JACKMANANDBOY

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/number-drivers-caught-exceeding-20

That's amazing, just two prosecutions. Apparently according to some on here there were more than that in Gorseinon alone.
The 20MPH punishments on 10:50 - Feb 9 with 875 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 06:33 - Feb 9 by Whiterockin

That's amazing, just two prosecutions. Apparently according to some on here there were more than that in Gorseinon alone.

They say that shows that 97% of driver aren't exceeding the speed limit except, it doesn't. People slow down when they see cameras and besides, multiplying out numbers like that doesn't work, its not a relable measure.

On my street in Skewen I reckon about 30% of the cars are going too fast, above the 26 certainly and sometimes higher than 35-40. A woman nearly hit me yesterday right outside my house, I was gog to my car and she overtook someone who was obviously going too slow for her, onthe wrong side of the road as I went around my car to drivers side she missed me by inches and she flew by, if there'd been contact I'd be in hospital now.

This just reinforces my opinion that the speed limit doesnt matter when so mnay drivers ignore them.
It's the bad drivers and the dangerous drivers who cause the accidents and they are who should be targeted. Most of us do obey speed limits, most of us aren't speeding lunatics, they want to save lives, target the lunatics.
The 20MPH punishments on 11:11 - Feb 9 with 866 viewslifelong

I’ll say again, it’s bloody ridiculous that drivers are given a limit 30% above the 20mph limit before they are prosecuted.
As far as people being prosecuted in the Gorseinon area is concerned, the area referred to was Belgrave Road which has been subject to a 20mph limit for the past few years and dozens of drivers have been prosecuted for doing 22mph and above.
The 20MPH punishments on 11:19 - Feb 9 with 862 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 10:50 - Feb 9 by SullutaCreturned

They say that shows that 97% of driver aren't exceeding the speed limit except, it doesn't. People slow down when they see cameras and besides, multiplying out numbers like that doesn't work, its not a relable measure.

On my street in Skewen I reckon about 30% of the cars are going too fast, above the 26 certainly and sometimes higher than 35-40. A woman nearly hit me yesterday right outside my house, I was gog to my car and she overtook someone who was obviously going too slow for her, onthe wrong side of the road as I went around my car to drivers side she missed me by inches and she flew by, if there'd been contact I'd be in hospital now.

This just reinforces my opinion that the speed limit doesnt matter when so mnay drivers ignore them.
It's the bad drivers and the dangerous drivers who cause the accidents and they are who should be targeted. Most of us do obey speed limits, most of us aren't speeding lunatics, they want to save lives, target the lunatics.

A lunatic driver can kill at 5 mph
We have many uninsured drivers which makes it worse.
Good luck to anyone splattered by one of these cretins

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 20MPH punishments on 11:38 - Feb 9 with 854 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 06:27 - Feb 9 by JACKMANANDBOY

Some of the comments are interesting, for example.

blemaersaesneg
2 HRS AGO
As for safety, the braking distances used is from 40-year-old research so irrelevant, the accident measures are just based on within a 30mph, no other factors, especially how fast was the car going at the time, it could of being at 20mph with the pedestrian running directly in front of the car. The claim is that that accident would not have happened with the new 20mph speed limit, clearly false. If the purpose was to reduced accidents, then you need to introduce to 20mph on 50mph and above roads as this where a vast (and I mean vast) number of road injuries occur.
The 20mph is purely a tax. It will also drive up costs in Wales, as an example a bread delivery will have to reduce the number of deliveries it can make in a day so more delivery vans will be needed or vans stop delivering to more rural areas.
The 20MPH punishments on 07:56 - Feb 10 with 788 viewsbennytheblue

The 20MPH punishments on 11:38 - Feb 9 by Whiterockin

blemaersaesneg
2 HRS AGO
As for safety, the braking distances used is from 40-year-old research so irrelevant, the accident measures are just based on within a 30mph, no other factors, especially how fast was the car going at the time, it could of being at 20mph with the pedestrian running directly in front of the car. The claim is that that accident would not have happened with the new 20mph speed limit, clearly false. If the purpose was to reduced accidents, then you need to introduce to 20mph on 50mph and above roads as this where a vast (and I mean vast) number of road injuries occur.
The 20mph is purely a tax. It will also drive up costs in Wales, as an example a bread delivery will have to reduce the number of deliveries it can make in a day so more delivery vans will be needed or vans stop delivering to more rural areas.

Saw a mini the other day, roof rack and pole with a camera, I guess this is the new way to catch people as you won’t notice it as you drive along until it’s too late…..
The 20MPH punishments on 09:15 - Feb 10 with 763 viewslifelong

blemaersaesneg
2 HRS AGO

Bread deliveries..really?

Crumbs.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:32 - Feb 10 with 753 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 09:15 - Feb 10 by lifelong

Crumbs.

I hope you read the rest of the comments to have a broad cross section of opinions.
The 20MPH punishments on 12:47 - Feb 10 with 698 viewsmajorraglan

blemaersaesneg
2 HRS AGO

I agree with your comments about braking distances, they need to be revisited. I think advances in technology such as ABS, more efficient systems etc need to be acknowledged, however people’s reaction times won’t have changed nor will mobile phone usage help. Plenty of drivers can be seen holding phones to their ear, but worse for me are the people who hold their phones by their knees and are constantly looking down at the and not at the road.

Disagree with your comments about it being a tax and I believe it’s purely and simple an exercise to improve road safety and encourage cycling and walking, albeit one that’s been totally messed up.
Why would the WG introduce an initiative that’s only going to hand money to the Treasury in London, if it was for revenue generation they’d introduce something to benefit their own back pocket.

There are plenty of places the 20mph is appropriate at certain times of the day, but there’s plenty where it isn’t and that needs sorting. Trunk roads etc should never be 20mph.
The 20MPH punishments on 13:11 - Feb 10 with 676 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 12:47 - Feb 10 by majorraglan

I agree with your comments about braking distances, they need to be revisited. I think advances in technology such as ABS, more efficient systems etc need to be acknowledged, however people’s reaction times won’t have changed nor will mobile phone usage help. Plenty of drivers can be seen holding phones to their ear, but worse for me are the people who hold their phones by their knees and are constantly looking down at the and not at the road.

Disagree with your comments about it being a tax and I believe it’s purely and simple an exercise to improve road safety and encourage cycling and walking, albeit one that’s been totally messed up.
Why would the WG introduce an initiative that’s only going to hand money to the Treasury in London, if it was for revenue generation they’d introduce something to benefit their own back pocket.

There are plenty of places the 20mph is appropriate at certain times of the day, but there’s plenty where it isn’t and that needs sorting. Trunk roads etc should never be 20mph.

Not my comments mate, it was cut and pasted from one of the comments below the article. I just feel that it's true that the data used to make the comparisons are out of date in some cases and not thorough enough in others.
The 20MPH punishments on 16:28 - Feb 10 with 640 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 09:15 - Feb 10 by lifelong

Crumbs.

That's a bit obtuse because this will clearly affect ALL deliveries which means costs will go up for all firms who will in turn put their prices up.

There could also be a hgh turnover in staff because some delivery firms won't make allowances for new speed limits and staff will get into trouble and be let go putting families under financial pressure.
The 20MPH punishments on 16:44 - Feb 11 with 575 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I see both candidates for first minister have said to day that they failed to get their message across regarding the blanket 20mph.

No mention that they got the policy WRONG. They still say most people agree with 20mph blanket limit. This is despite nearly 469,000 signatures on the petition to rescind the 20mph law and only 5373 signatures supporting it.

Neither of them seem to be listening to the Welsh public.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The 20MPH punishments on 16:58 - Feb 11 with 566 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 16:44 - Feb 11 by felixstowe_jack

I see both candidates for first minister have said to day that they failed to get their message across regarding the blanket 20mph.

No mention that they got the policy WRONG. They still say most people agree with 20mph blanket limit. This is despite nearly 469,000 signatures on the petition to rescind the 20mph law and only 5373 signatures supporting it.

There you go again, blanket blanket, boring boring.
The 20MPH punishments on 17:38 - Feb 11 with 545 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 12:47 - Feb 10 by majorraglan

Most motorists have not an idea of stopping distances
They learn them for a rudimentary test then it’s forgotten

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 20MPH punishments on 21:30 - Mar 4 with 330 viewsBoundy

Cheerio , you won't be missed , now if only we could get rid of the rest.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/20mph-minister-to-leave-role-and-delete-x-

The 20MPH punishments on 03:35 - Mar 5 with 313 viewsKilkennyjack

The 20MPH punishments on 16:44 - Feb 11 by felixstowe_jack

Most people do agree with a 20 mph policy where lives can be saved. Schools, shops etc.

Just catching up with the many English cities that are already 20 mph.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024