Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 20MPH punishments 08:34 - Aug 3 with 97622 viewsSullutaCreturned

Well the punishment for breaking the limit,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-confirm-how-punish-drivers-

Given how many idiots are on the roads, the delivery drivers under pressure and the actual difficutly in staying below 20 (it is difficult, I do it every week when I go to Cardiff and it's harder than you'd think, specially going downhill) there will be a lot of speeding going on.

The Senedd expect the fire brigade to become a road safety unit, how stupid is that? The fire brigade have their job and it's hard enough for them to do that the way the Senedd behaves.

Then there's the pollution problem, all those cars tootling around in second gear will fill the streets with pollution, it'll rise and rise and the few accidents stopped by this madness will be replaced tenfold and more in the years to come by serious health issues, those with asthma can look out, better buy your respirators now.

I wonder if cancers will also increase?

By the time we have all gone electric, assuming we all do, thousands of lives will be blighted by illness.
The 20MPH punishments on 17:09 - Mar 6 with 1187 viewsFlashberryjack

The 20MPH punishments on 11:23 - Mar 6 by Wingstandwood

https://www.aberdareonline.co.uk/2024/03/04/20mph-minister-to-leave-transport-ro

Any guess why he's leaving?

He'll probably leave with a big fat pay off from the Senedd, then become a highly paid director of Sustrans, the charity that's been pulling his strings whilst building up a fortune from grants.

Who said incompetence doesn't pay.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The 20MPH punishments on 22:36 - Mar 6 with 1110 viewsmajorraglan

The 20MPH punishments on 13:40 - Mar 6 by SullutaCreturned

Maybe because the vast majority and even people in his own party have come to the conclusion that he's useless?

The 20MPh is absolutely fine where it is needed but bringing it in first and saying the roads can be changed back to 30 on applying for an exemption was putting te cart before the horse.
It should have been planned properly, the 20's put in where they were needed and maybe other speed limits should have been reviewed too. Some roads have a higher speed limit and it doesn't seem safe to me. The first one on my mind is Peniel Green road from Birchgrive roandabout down to the Texaco garage, the part from the garage down into Skewen was put to 20 then changed back to 30 but the rest of it was left at 40, that seems too fast to me, it's a bus route, it's fairly busy, there is quite a lot of pedestrian movement and the road isn't straight with ther being a car sales place on one side which regularly moves vehicles. I think it should be 30.

This was the big issue for me, it was never about the slowing down of traffic it was always about the planning and implementation, it was half assed and done at a greater cost than needed to be.

Can’t comment on the actual roads, but I agree with your comments about the planning and implementation.

There are plenty of reasons (health benefits etc) for making it safer for pedestrians and cyclists to use the roads, but there needed to be common sense which seemed to have gone out the window here.
The 20MPH punishments on 20:04 - Mar 7 with 1036 viewsDr_Winston

The 20MPH punishments on 22:36 - Mar 6 by majorraglan

Can’t comment on the actual roads, but I agree with your comments about the planning and implementation.

There are plenty of reasons (health benefits etc) for making it safer for pedestrians and cyclists to use the roads, but there needed to be common sense which seemed to have gone out the window here.

There are no reasons for making the roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists. Roads are for cars and other motorised vehicles. Pavements are for pedestrians, and cycle paths are for cyclists.

Cyclists and pedestrians can of course use roads, but must do so with caution and the understanding that they are very much of a secondary consideration. Unfortunately few do.

When you see dimwit cyclists wobbling down the A4067 at 20mph holding up the traffic when there is a cycle path that runs almost parallel with it containing no cars at all it's not a surprise that so many of them end up under the wheels of a passing lorry.

It's almost Darwinian.
[Post edited 7 Mar 20:06]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 20MPH punishments on 20:09 - Mar 7 with 1024 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 20:04 - Mar 7 by Dr_Winston

There are no reasons for making the roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists. Roads are for cars and other motorised vehicles. Pavements are for pedestrians, and cycle paths are for cyclists.

Cyclists and pedestrians can of course use roads, but must do so with caution and the understanding that they are very much of a secondary consideration. Unfortunately few do.

When you see dimwit cyclists wobbling down the A4067 at 20mph holding up the traffic when there is a cycle path that runs almost parallel with it containing no cars at all it's not a surprise that so many of them end up under the wheels of a passing lorry.

It's almost Darwinian.

Seeing a loe cyclist causing chaos on the Mumbles road always annoys me, there's a perfectly good cycle path there too.

If it was Darwinian they'd be getting killed off but the lunatics are running the asylum these days.
The 20MPH punishments on 20:17 - Mar 7 with 1011 viewsDr_Winston

The 20MPH punishments on 20:09 - Mar 7 by SullutaCreturned

Seeing a loe cyclist causing chaos on the Mumbles road always annoys me, there's a perfectly good cycle path there too.

If it was Darwinian they'd be getting killed off but the lunatics are running the asylum these days.

Yep.

Cyclists like that are a lot like Welsh Language fanatics who insist on everything being in Welsh even though they speak perfect English.

They know full well that their lives and the lives of everyone that they interact with would be easier if they just go with the flow, but they will insist on what they consider to be their "rights" and make nuisances of themselves on a regular basis.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 20MPH punishments on 22:39 - Mar 7 with 966 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 20:04 - Mar 7 by Dr_Winston

It's almost Darwinian.

There are no reasons for making the roads safer for pedestrians… really?

In 2022 20 pedestrians were killed, 158 were seriously injured and 392 were slightly injured on Welsh roads. There’s 570 reasons for you.
The 20MPH punishments on 06:06 - Mar 8 with 920 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 22:39 - Mar 7 by lifelong

There are no reasons for making the roads safer for pedestrians… really?

In 2022 20 pedestrians were killed, 158 were seriously injured and 392 were slightly injured on Welsh roads. There’s 570 reasons for you.

Perhaps if pedestrians looked where they were going it would help, few are injured on the pavement. Stop looking at your phone, parents control children and basic awareness would cut down on the majority of these accidents.
[Post edited 8 Mar 6:08]
The 20MPH punishments on 06:54 - Mar 8 with 909 viewsDr_Winston

The 20MPH punishments on 06:06 - Mar 8 by Whiterockin

Perhaps if pedestrians looked where they were going it would help, few are injured on the pavement. Stop looking at your phone, parents control children and basic awareness would cut down on the majority of these accidents.
[Post edited 8 Mar 6:08]

Indeed. Undoubtedly a majority, perhaps even the vast majority of these incidents were down to the pedestrians themselves. You can wrap people in cotton wool and drop the limit to 10mph and these accidents will still happen.

You cannot, should not and it isn't even possible to remove all risk from life without causing such inconvenience to everyone else as to remove the benefit of doing so.

Besides, 570 accidents out of how many million human/road interactions in any given year? Welsh roads are already astoundingly safe.

Login to get fewer ads

The 20MPH punishments on 07:26 - Mar 8 with 897 viewsTogg

Drove to Aberystwyth on business yesterday and quite honestly some of the 20 mph restrictions were farcical. Most of the signs were vandalised to. I believe in Swansea we've got less restrictions than most.
The 20MPH punishments on 07:58 - Mar 8 with 876 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 06:54 - Mar 8 by Dr_Winston

Indeed. Undoubtedly a majority, perhaps even the vast majority of these incidents were down to the pedestrians themselves. You can wrap people in cotton wool and drop the limit to 10mph and these accidents will still happen.

You cannot, should not and it isn't even possible to remove all risk from life without causing such inconvenience to everyone else as to remove the benefit of doing so.

Besides, 570 accidents out of how many million human/road interactions in any given year? Welsh roads are already astoundingly safe.

In the same year Police in Wales recorded 3,300 road accidents involving injury, in which 4,400 people were injured. I would suggest that there are also thousands more non injury and slight injury accidents that go unreported to the Police.
Not so astoundingly safe in my opinion.
The 20MPH punishments on 08:03 - Mar 8 with 868 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 07:58 - Mar 8 by lifelong

In the same year Police in Wales recorded 3,300 road accidents involving injury, in which 4,400 people were injured. I would suggest that there are also thousands more non injury and slight injury accidents that go unreported to the Police.

How many of those accidents were caused by speed ? , if we knew that then maybe your post would be validated

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 20MPH punishments on 09:17 - Mar 8 with 854 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 07:26 - Mar 8 by Togg

Drove to Aberystwyth on business yesterday and quite honestly some of the 20 mph restrictions were farcical. Most of the signs were vandalised to. I believe in Swansea we've got less restrictions than most.

This is exactly the point. Some on here who say there are no issues seldom drive outside Swansea and when they do mostly use the M4, A477 or A40, this is not a true reflection of the impact the changes have had on Wales. Why would nearly half a million people sign the petition if nothing was wrong. I have done the run you are talking about several times, multiple speed limit changes in a very short distance and often painted out be it 20, 30, 40 and 50mph nobody knows whats going on and strangers are often doing 20 in a 50, making it more dangerous when locals try to overtake. I'm all for 20mph where it is needed but a default is just ridiculous. I will add that I stopped for a coffee on the way up one day and asked the guy behind the counter about the painted signs. He said the locals did it because it was taking too long to get to work and they were not worried about getting a speeding fine because they knew what signs were painted out and in what villages.
The 20MPH punishments on 09:36 - Mar 8 with 824 viewsonehunglow

Many collisions caused by rank bad driving
We have drivers seeing the roads are basically for cars . Anyone or anything on two wheels ,two legs,two or four feet meets with hostility .
Bugger the car,bugger the entitlement
Witness those transporting kids to schools no more than 400 yds away by 4x4 .
It is horrific
It is down to attitude ,concentration and perception and not solely a speed issue

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The 20MPH punishments on 11:09 - Mar 8 with 804 viewsBoundy

The 20MPH punishments on 09:36 - Mar 8 by onehunglow

Many collisions caused by rank bad driving
We have drivers seeing the roads are basically for cars . Anyone or anything on two wheels ,two legs,two or four feet meets with hostility .
Bugger the car,bugger the entitlement
Witness those transporting kids to schools no more than 400 yds away by 4x4 .
It is horrific
It is down to attitude ,concentration and perception and not solely a speed issue

So many generalisations on this thread but little or no detail about the numbers . I live by a comp school and believe it or not ( although I suspect this is true of many other areas) the parents start to park waiting to collect their 15 year old d about an hour before they're released back into civilisation . It seems no one has the ability to walk anymore .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 20MPH punishments on 12:07 - Mar 8 with 783 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 11:09 - Mar 8 by Boundy

So many generalisations on this thread but little or no detail about the numbers . I live by a comp school and believe it or not ( although I suspect this is true of many other areas) the parents start to park waiting to collect their 15 year old d about an hour before they're released back into civilisation . It seems no one has the ability to walk anymore .

At least 15 mins
There are several junior schools nearby us and roads are both busy and narrow .
I witness sheer laziness on the part of many many drivers with no cognisance at all of extraneous traffic.
Kids in passenger seats glued to their phones at 815 am is horrific gawd help them

The 20MPH punishments on 17:15 - Mar 8 with 724 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 07:58 - Mar 8 by lifelong

I do wonder what the statistics show since the change happened. They say there has been a drop in spped by 4mph but how many accidents and injuries have there been, how many deaths?

Maybe even more importantly, where did most of these accidents and deaths occur?
The 20MPH punishments on 17:39 - Mar 8 with 705 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 17:15 - Mar 8 by SullutaCreturned

I do wonder what the statistics show since the change happened. They say there has been a drop in spped by 4mph but how many accidents and injuries have there been, how many deaths?

Maybe even more importantly, where did most of these accidents and deaths occur?

It will take a couple of years before the desired effect, plus the Welsh government must drop the 26mph before being booked nonsense.
[Post edited 8 Mar 17:45]
The 20MPH punishments on 17:48 - Mar 8 with 682 viewsWhiterockin

The 20MPH punishments on 17:39 - Mar 8 by lifelong

It will take a couple of years before the desired effect, plus the Welsh government must drop the 26mph before being booked nonsense.

You would have thought the desired effect would have happened immediately they dropped the speed limit. Why would it take a couple of years to cut the accidents numbers.
The 20MPH punishments on 18:27 - Mar 8 with 638 viewsKilkennyjack

The 20MPH punishments on 20:17 - Mar 7 by Dr_Winston

Yep.

Cyclists like that are a lot like Welsh Language fanatics who insist on everything being in Welsh even though they speak perfect English.

They know full well that their lives and the lives of everyone that they interact with would be easier if they just go with the flow, but they will insist on what they consider to be their "rights" and make nuisances of themselves on a regular basis.

Congratulations on the worst analogy ever.

Chwarae teg i ti.

Beware of the Risen People

The 20MPH punishments on 18:38 - Mar 8 with 639 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 17:48 - Mar 8 by Whiterockin

You would have thought the desired effect would have happened immediately they dropped the speed limit. Why would it take a couple of years to cut the accidents numbers.

Gives the senedd more time to convince the public that the Senedd did not pass a silly law and were right after all.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The 20MPH punishments on 19:54 - Mar 8 with 603 viewsonehunglow

The 20MPH punishments on 18:27 - Mar 8 by Kilkennyjack

Congratulations on the worst analogy ever.

Chwarae teg i ti.

Winston sees cyclists in the same light I view Russy

The 20MPH punishments on 19:32 - Mar 10 with 496 viewsSullutaCreturned

The 20MPH punishments on 17:39 - Mar 8 by lifelong

Ah, so you can see what they've done is nonsense, of course it is. And because it is nonsense people continue to be killed on Welsh roads,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cyclist-killed-crash-car-28790531
The 20MPH punishments on 20:19 - Mar 10 with 475 viewslifelong

The 20MPH punishments on 19:32 - Mar 10 by SullutaCreturned

Ah, so you can see what they've done is nonsense, of course it is. And because it is nonsense people continue to be killed on Welsh roads,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cyclist-killed-crash-car-28790531

What has that tragic accident got to do with the 20mph limit?

As far as nonsense is concerned you need to look over your opening post about the streets being filled with pollution, thousands of people being blighted by illness and questioning whether cancer rates will be increased.what evidence is there to support those claims?
The 20MPH punishments on 21:10 - Mar 10 with 447 viewscontroversial_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 20:19 - Mar 10 by lifelong

What has that tragic accident got to do with the 20mph limit?

As far as nonsense is concerned you need to look over your opening post about the streets being filled with pollution, thousands of people being blighted by illness and questioning whether cancer rates will be increased.what evidence is there to support those claims?

Driving slower reduces the chances of fatalities and accidents
The 20MPH punishments on 08:12 - Mar 11 with 389 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The 20MPH punishments on 17:15 - Mar 8 by SullutaCreturned

All statistics show 70% of serious road accidents and deaths occur outside the 30mph zones.

The most dangerous roads are single carriageways rural roads.
They are the roads the Senedd should be investing in.

I see the Senedd transport minister Lee Walters is stepping down saying he will not be wanted by the new first minister. Wonder why?

He still arrogantly says his blanket/default 20 mph limit is right for Wales despite 469,500 Welsh Adults signing the petition to rescind the 20 mph law.

Only 5,392 people have signed the petition to keep the 20 mph law .

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024