Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is our support so poor? 18:12 - Oct 28 with 8313 viewsPlankton

Ipswich, population 136000 had almost 30000 watching them today.
Huddersfield, similar sized small town surrounded by buffet clubs, regularly get better support.
Why aren't we sold out every home game?
Why is our support so poor? on 23:23 - Oct 28 with 1225 viewsKeithHaynes

Why is our support so poor? on 22:55 - Oct 28 by builthjack

We have big followings from Llandovery, Brecon, Builth, Llandrindod, Rhayader, Llanidloes, Aberystwyth to name but a few.

Go to any town or city and you will find jacks. The Midlands Avon & Gloucester Swans when the team were pants had over 200 members. Some games we took two buses.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Why is our support so poor? on 07:31 - Oct 29 with 1127 viewsSgorioFruit

Ipswich are chasing back to back promotions from league one to the premier league.
Swansea play excellent one week and then totally clueless the next week.

End of discussion.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Why is our support so poor? on 07:39 - Oct 29 with 1120 viewsjack247

I’m not sure being the only team for miles is a massive advantage numbers wise. Every team has its core support, I’d imagine the likes of Birmingham, Coventry, West Brom, QPR, Milwall, Watford have fuller away ends than us most games.

Ipswich and Norwich have always punched above their weight attendance wise, so have Sunderland.

Plymouth is a fair comparison. Similar sized city, similar distance from most teams.
Why is our support so poor? on 07:43 - Oct 29 with 1112 viewsKeithHaynes

Why is our support so poor? on 07:39 - Oct 29 by jack247

I’m not sure being the only team for miles is a massive advantage numbers wise. Every team has its core support, I’d imagine the likes of Birmingham, Coventry, West Brom, QPR, Milwall, Watford have fuller away ends than us most games.

Ipswich and Norwich have always punched above their weight attendance wise, so have Sunderland.

Plymouth is a fair comparison. Similar sized city, similar distance from most teams.

Based on the Plymouth comparison Swansea is far better supported.
Millwall, QPR, Birmingham City far smaller supports.

I think we do ok.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Why is our support so poor? on 07:49 - Oct 29 with 1109 viewsjack247

Why is our support so poor? on 07:43 - Oct 29 by KeithHaynes

Based on the Plymouth comparison Swansea is far better supported.
Millwall, QPR, Birmingham City far smaller supports.

I think we do ok.

And yet those three are all far easier for away fans to get to.

We’ve also got one of the biggest senior leagues in the country. Some clubs have three teams out on a Saturday.

I agree with you.
Why is our support so poor? on 08:02 - Oct 29 with 1099 viewstrefelinjack

When I was younger, I used to work behind the food stalls in the east stand and was there from 3 hours before kick off. Never forget the constant loud cheering and celebrating when either man u, Liverpool would score on the TV. I remember arguing (unprofessionally) with a "Swansea fan" on break saying how can anyone support a team in a different country roughly 200 miles away and he said he has supported them since he was a child.

For the population around both Swansea and Cardiff, we should be both selling out home and away but unfortunately more people are supporting the top 4 clubs than us.

Main argument I get from these people is "people came out of woodwork when Swansea got to Premier league" and I always say that is exactly what your great great grandparents did with regards to the top 4 teams and look at what that as resulted in, you supporting man u!
Why is our support so poor? on 08:04 - Oct 29 with 1096 viewsBoundy

I know this may not be a reason but when you look at the demise of the Swansea Senior league and rise in obesity then there has to be a link in there somewhere , Looking around Swansea and the amount of fat youngsters is astonishing . The demise of the Swansea league really came to a head when we first went up into the PL ,then players were lost to the Swans but then drifted away finding other things to do outside football altogether . IMO its a generation thing

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Why is our support so poor? on 08:12 - Oct 29 with 1088 viewsSwans9

Hopefully us being in the prem has made alot of youngsters support Swansea first and not follow glory teams in the prem. When we went up to the prem I'd never seen the new 6000 fans that appeared from nowhere and said they been there all the way. Followed by I only bought a season for the Liverpool or man u game sickening.
Login to get fewer ads

Why is our support so poor? on 08:15 - Oct 29 with 1083 viewsBoundy

Why is our support so poor? on 08:12 - Oct 29 by Swans9

Hopefully us being in the prem has made alot of youngsters support Swansea first and not follow glory teams in the prem. When we went up to the prem I'd never seen the new 6000 fans that appeared from nowhere and said they been there all the way. Followed by I only bought a season for the Liverpool or man u game sickening.

There's plenty I know who went to the Play off finals and cup final , had season tickets throughout the PL days but now back supporting the likes of Liverpool etc from afar ,

Why is our support so poor? on 09:34 - Oct 29 with 1051 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 08:15 - Oct 29 by Boundy

There's plenty I know who went to the Play off finals and cup final , had season tickets throughout the PL days but now back supporting the likes of Liverpool etc from afar ,

It’s simple glory hunting.
I cannot fathom any Swansea man supporting Liverpool when playing against us .
This happened for six seasons

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Why is our support so poor? on 11:23 - Oct 29 with 1011 viewsJJJack

Why is our support so poor? on 23:23 - Oct 28 by KeithHaynes

Go to any town or city and you will find jacks. The Midlands Avon & Gloucester Swans when the team were pants had over 200 members. Some games we took two buses.

Agreed Keith. We have thousands of supporters across the West Country. Strangely you're as likely to see a Swans top as a prem club's top when you're out and about in Bristol.
Why is our support so poor? on 11:38 - Oct 29 with 1001 viewsjack247

Why is our support so poor? on 08:02 - Oct 29 by trefelinjack

When I was younger, I used to work behind the food stalls in the east stand and was there from 3 hours before kick off. Never forget the constant loud cheering and celebrating when either man u, Liverpool would score on the TV. I remember arguing (unprofessionally) with a "Swansea fan" on break saying how can anyone support a team in a different country roughly 200 miles away and he said he has supported them since he was a child.

For the population around both Swansea and Cardiff, we should be both selling out home and away but unfortunately more people are supporting the top 4 clubs than us.

Main argument I get from these people is "people came out of woodwork when Swansea got to Premier league" and I always say that is exactly what your great great grandparents did with regards to the top 4 teams and look at what that as resulted in, you supporting man u!

‘My dad/grandad/etc supported them’ is invariably a way of covering ‘they were the most successful team when I was a kid and I never grew out of it’.
Why is our support so poor? on 11:42 - Oct 29 with 997 viewsbennytheblue

Reckon if both clubs cemented themselves in the PL for a good period we might rid south wales of the glory hunter culture, it’s just too rife unfortunately aswell as being not such a wealthy area. Sky sports no doubt do very well in south wales.
Why is our support so poor? on 11:45 - Oct 29 with 995 viewsFireboy2

Why is our support so poor? on 11:38 - Oct 29 by jack247

‘My dad/grandad/etc supported them’ is invariably a way of covering ‘they were the most successful team when I was a kid and I never grew out of it’.

My dad was a plastic scouser.

His brother got in before he had time to try and covert me, my uncle took me to every home game from 78, I absolutely loved going to watch on the NB.

I have always had disdain for plastic liverpool and yernited 'fans' since i started watching in 78, give me bolton, blackburn or preston fan anyday, they will have my respect.
Why is our support so poor? on 12:28 - Oct 29 with 959 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 11:45 - Oct 29 by Fireboy2

My dad was a plastic scouser.

His brother got in before he had time to try and covert me, my uncle took me to every home game from 78, I absolutely loved going to watch on the NB.

I have always had disdain for plastic liverpool and yernited 'fans' since i started watching in 78, give me bolton, blackburn or preston fan anyday, they will have my respect.

Kids, I can understand
When I was a kid it was bags me Ivor,Cliff,Dwyer , Charlton Greaves and Law
It was because they were seen as ethereal beauties of players
Then, you grow up

We've had a period in the Prem that should have sated the hunger for glory in the home town team
Distain is an aposite word

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Why is our support so poor? on 12:40 - Oct 29 with 953 viewsPlankton

Why is our support so poor? on 07:49 - Oct 29 by jack247

And yet those three are all far easier for away fans to get to.

We’ve also got one of the biggest senior leagues in the country. Some clubs have three teams out on a Saturday.

I agree with you.

Not anymore we don't.
It's miniscule compared to ten years ago.
Also, there used to be 6 Sunday leagues.
Now it doesn't exist
Why is our support so poor? on 12:58 - Oct 29 with 936 viewsjack247

Why is our support so poor? on 12:40 - Oct 29 by Plankton

Not anymore we don't.
It's miniscule compared to ten years ago.
Also, there used to be 6 Sunday leagues.
Now it doesn't exist

Yes, smaller than it was, but still bigger than most cities equivalents. There are still 6 or 7 divisions including reserves, plus local teams playing in the West Wales Premier league.

The Swans play once or twice a season on a Sunday. It’s a shame that it’s gone, but irrelevant in terms of our attendances.
Why is our support so poor? on 13:43 - Oct 29 with 896 viewsmajorraglan

Despite my endeavours, one of my kids started supporting Cardiff, his mates were all Cardiff fans on account of one of the parents was involved in their academy structure. I’d have preferred him to support the Swans, but I’d rather see him support Cardiff than be a glory hunter supporting the likes of United or Liverpool.
Why is our support so poor? on 13:55 - Oct 29 with 890 viewsBillyChong

Why is our support so poor? on 19:35 - Oct 28 by SullutaCreturned

And what are the attendances at Huddersfield? Around 17k average aren't they? Where are all those missing thousands eh? Just like Nothampton who took 42k to Wembley against us, where are all those fans at Sixfields?

Or, closer to home, where are the missing thousands from the EPL days or frm the play off final?

As for fickle, Hudders had 20k at hoem to Ipswich but 8,057 at home to Boro, sounds quite fickle to me.
Birmingham is massive but brum get smaller crowds than us. Football fans at most clubs are fickle.
Bournemouth has a population of over 400k yet they get around 11k.

Again, it's not compulsory to support your local football team and very many football fans in Swansea support EPL teams and don't go to our games.

The Bournemouth stadium only holds 11,000 spectators
Why is our support so poor? on 14:07 - Oct 29 with 883 viewsangryjack

Why is our support so poor? on 13:43 - Oct 29 by majorraglan

Despite my endeavours, one of my kids started supporting Cardiff, his mates were all Cardiff fans on account of one of the parents was involved in their academy structure. I’d have preferred him to support the Swans, but I’d rather see him support Cardiff than be a glory hunter supporting the likes of United or Liverpool.

"You'd rather him support cardiff"....I'd be filling him in everyday
Why is our support so poor? on 14:23 - Oct 29 with 863 viewsSullutaCreturned

Why is our support so poor? on 08:04 - Oct 29 by Boundy

I know this may not be a reason but when you look at the demise of the Swansea Senior league and rise in obesity then there has to be a link in there somewhere , Looking around Swansea and the amount of fat youngsters is astonishing . The demise of the Swansea league really came to a head when we first went up into the PL ,then players were lost to the Swans but then drifted away finding other things to do outside football altogether . IMO its a generation thing

Swansea senior league was falling away long before we got to the EPL, it had been getting smaller year on year from around 1998. There's no sunday league at all now and just 3 senior and 3 reserve divisions. kids prefer to pay FIFA on consoles and still think they are Lionel messi despite not being able to kick a ball on the park.
Why is our support so poor? on 14:32 - Oct 29 with 860 viewsSullutaCreturned

The number of times I asked people why they supported Liverpool, Manure etc and was told because the Swans are shite.
I always used to say if every football fan in Swansea supported the Swans we wouldn't be shite but it never worked because they were all just glory hunters.
I wonder how many "new" supporters Man City have acquired these last years of oil ownership?

The size of the poulation isn't a proper barometer, not for me, places with smaller populations get bigger crowds, it's not compulsory to like football or follow your local team.

Success and getting to the EPl is what increases crowds, unfortunately in not extendingthe stadium the then owners missed a trick because if we had a 25-27k stadium and had reduced prices to get bums on seats we may have tied more people in to being Jacks. Without our EPL time we may not even be getting the 16-17k (before away fans) we may be down to 12-13k?
As another measure, look at the family stand these days, it used to be full but as people got older and moved to other areas there have been very few new parents with young kids coming in, they will grow up to be top 4-6 supporters again.
Why is our support so poor? on 15:34 - Oct 29 with 838 viewsBoundy

Why is our support so poor? on 14:23 - Oct 29 by SullutaCreturned

Swansea senior league was falling away long before we got to the EPL, it had been getting smaller year on year from around 1998. There's no sunday league at all now and just 3 senior and 3 reserve divisions. kids prefer to pay FIFA on consoles and still think they are Lionel messi despite not being able to kick a ball on the park.

Yes the league was falling away but it accelerated during the PL days with no respite until we have what we have now .I used to play on a Satuurday and Sunday (not to a high standard admittedly) .It is sad to see how its fallen away with many old Clubs now gone

Why is our support so poor? on 15:58 - Oct 29 with 833 viewsWingstandwood

Other teams have had the advantage of growing their home support, because they had larger stadiums.

When the Swans were in the Premier League the Liberty Stadium had an extremely small capacity especially after the away ticket allocation was factored in. What was it now? 18,000 -19,000-ish?

So the club was at a major disadvantage when it came to attracting new supporters who could have turned up to watch Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc to get introduced to something that could have ended up with decades of future support.

Argus!

Why is our support so poor? on 16:27 - Oct 29 with 815 viewsangryjack

Why is our support so poor? on 15:34 - Oct 29 by Boundy

Yes the league was falling away but it accelerated during the PL days with no respite until we have what we have now .I used to play on a Satuurday and Sunday (not to a high standard admittedly) .It is sad to see how its fallen away with many old Clubs now gone

A lot of it is down to pubs closing as well the amount of teams that were run from pubs that have now gone and not had a base to run from
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024