Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alcoholic 12:12 - Dec 16 with 4090 views1983

The old man died way too young because he was an alcoholic and we also lost our house because of this, a man who I adored as a child and hated as an adult.

Now we are watching our good friends going through the same thing, he is a very smart man, not short of a few bob, a great wife, nice kids finically sorted for life and as straight as they come and most probably never even had a parking ticket in his life but now he's destroying it all and will down a bottle of wine in seconds and doesn't give two flucks for anyone so very sad!

Alcoholic on 12:30 - Dec 16 with 3019 viewsBoundy

So sorry to hear an bout your history , I truly emphasis with you , I have a relative who doesn't (I take his word that its true) drink in the week but really hits the bottle over the weekend drinks himself s sober then goes again , we've tried to help because we can only see it getting worse if at all it gets better but to no avail. Some people are predisposed to an addiction and despite all the kind words and help from professionals it's not enough. I hope in your friends case he can conquer and overcome his problem , as you say the knock on effect on close friends & family creates a whole lot of issues for everyone.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Alcoholic on 12:39 - Dec 16 with 2998 viewsonehunglow

An awful but necessary read

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Alcoholic on 13:37 - Dec 16 with 2976 views1983

Alcoholic on 12:30 - Dec 16 by Boundy

So sorry to hear an bout your history , I truly emphasis with you , I have a relative who doesn't (I take his word that its true) drink in the week but really hits the bottle over the weekend drinks himself s sober then goes again , we've tried to help because we can only see it getting worse if at all it gets better but to no avail. Some people are predisposed to an addiction and despite all the kind words and help from professionals it's not enough. I hope in your friends case he can conquer and overcome his problem , as you say the knock on effect on close friends & family creates a whole lot of issues for everyone.

It's wicked this man is the one of the smartest men I know. No1 on the list for phone a friend a very caring, funny, straight bordering boring if you like. It's totally bizarre I suppose he's been living a lie for years and just glad everyone knows he's an alcoholic but will do absolutely nothing about it

Alcoholic on 21:35 - Dec 16 with 2859 viewsSullutaCreturned

My mother was alcoholic and my father drank heavily. Alcohol ripped our family apart before my 6th birthday so I know where you are coming from. Once it gets a grip on you it is hard to take back control just any heavy addiction.

All you can do is be a friend to him and hope for the best, maybe he will listen or maybe the catastrophe will hit before he wakes up. I sincerely hope he wises up before the worst happens.
Alcoholic on 00:09 - Dec 17 with 2794 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 12:30 - Dec 16 by Boundy

Sorry to hear this and hope you get a satisfactory resolution, but there is no predisposition to alcohol. A drug or chemical is the same to everyone. Every addict or alcoholic indulges to forget or try to distance themselves from some underlying issue
Alcoholic on 10:05 - Dec 17 with 2704 viewsFireboy2

I had a good mate who died because he was an alcoholic, he was a maths teacher, very very clever and the funniest person I have ever known.

A few of us tried our best to get him off it, I took him to a rehabilitation centre for addictions but he took one look at it and said f@#£ that, watching him die was excruciating especially as he had 3 sons who doted on him, I still keep in touch with his eldest as I felt it my duty to look after him.

One thing I can say about my experience is your friend is the only one who can help himself, he has to make to decision to stop, no one else but I know you won't stop trying to help him, i will be praying for him mate 🙏
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 10:06]
Alcoholic on 10:40 - Dec 17 with 2665 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 10:05 - Dec 17 by Fireboy2

I had a good mate who died because he was an alcoholic, he was a maths teacher, very very clever and the funniest person I have ever known.

A few of us tried our best to get him off it, I took him to a rehabilitation centre for addictions but he took one look at it and said f@#£ that, watching him die was excruciating especially as he had 3 sons who doted on him, I still keep in touch with his eldest as I felt it my duty to look after him.

One thing I can say about my experience is your friend is the only one who can help himself, he has to make to decision to stop, no one else but I know you won't stop trying to help him, i will be praying for him mate 🙏

Alcoholism is worse than drug addiction. It's a terrible death too
Alcoholic on 11:05 - Dec 17 with 2646 viewsonehunglow

Alcoholic on 10:40 - Dec 17 by controversial_jack

Alcoholism is worse than drug addiction. It's a terrible death too

That is debatable .
Only good thing about heroin overdose is you fall into death quicker
Merry Christmas

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Alcoholic on 13:24 - Dec 17 with 2610 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 11:05 - Dec 17 by onehunglow

That is debatable .
Only good thing about heroin overdose is you fall into death quicker
Merry Christmas

Addicts don't die when they withdraw from heroin, but alcoholics most certainly can if they stop drinking without careful management of the withdrawal process. It's a horrible way to go too
Alcoholic on 17:06 - Dec 17 with 2561 viewsTogg

Alcoholic on 10:05 - Dec 17 by Fireboy2

Absolutely. There is only one person who can make the descion. Yes help and support is important but everything in life comes down to you. Wether it's addiction , losing weight, changing lifestyle. Not easy..some succeed a lot don't.
Alcoholic on 19:15 - Dec 18 with 2399 views1983

The oldman was skin and bone 12 months before he died I could have lifted up above my head this from a man about 15yrs before that would have me and my sister hanging off his arms. The GP said if you don't stop drinking you'll be dead in 12 months if you do you will get maybe 5+ yrs and the GP was bang on the money 12 months later he ambled into the hospital into a room for 3 days with blood poisoning I gave him a kiss one night and he just about said my name I knew then that would be the last time I would speak to him, he then went up into intensive care the next day for 4 days then gone. I hate that man for what he did to mam (who's still alive 25+ years) and the rest of us but I think about him and talk to him most days how can you love and hate someone at the same time alcoholism is a vile b@stard

Alcoholic on 19:27 - Dec 18 with 2394 viewsSullutaCreturned

Alcoholic on 19:15 - Dec 18 by 1983

The oldman was skin and bone 12 months before he died I could have lifted up above my head this from a man about 15yrs before that would have me and my sister hanging off his arms. The GP said if you don't stop drinking you'll be dead in 12 months if you do you will get maybe 5+ yrs and the GP was bang on the money 12 months later he ambled into the hospital into a room for 3 days with blood poisoning I gave him a kiss one night and he just about said my name I knew then that would be the last time I would speak to him, he then went up into intensive care the next day for 4 days then gone. I hate that man for what he did to mam (who's still alive 25+ years) and the rest of us but I think about him and talk to him most days how can you love and hate someone at the same time alcoholism is a vile b@stard

Maybe you love the person he used to be but hate what he becane? That is exactly how I feel about my father. I stopped talking to him about 8 years before he died.

We are told we should love our parents but should we love someone who doesn't deserve it OR, maybe more pertinently does something to destroy your love?
Alcoholic on 19:50 - Dec 18 with 2375 viewsBoundy

Alcoholic on 00:09 - Dec 17 by controversial_jack

Sorry to hear this and hope you get a satisfactory resolution, but there is no predisposition to alcohol. A drug or chemical is the same to everyone. Every addict or alcoholic indulges to forget or try to distance themselves from some underlying issue

I have no intention of diverting this thread , but I do wish you would do a little research before bumping your gums, no need to respond .

Rutgers study.

"Although many people try illicit drugs like cocaine or heroin, only a small proportion develop an addiction," said lead author Morgan James, a member of the Rutgers Brain Health Institute and an assistant professor in the department of psychiatry at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

"The interaction found between sensation-seeking traits and the drug-taking experience show that predisposition to addiction has a genetic basis, and that this interacts with environmental factors such as patterns of drug use. The sensation-seeking trait was predictive of rats' likelihood to exhibit stronger motivation for drugs when we gave them the opportunity to take cocaine."

The findings, published in the journal Neuropharmacology, shed light on what predisposes people to addiction and may help with substance use screening and treatment.

The lab study found that high sensation-seeking rats -- those with a strong desire for new experiences and a willingness to take risks to be stimulated -- were more prone to developing behaviour that reflects human addiction.

The findings suggest that high sensation-seeking people have a greater risk of losing control over their drug intake, which makes them more vulnerable to drug addiction.

A major goal of addiction research is to identify behavioural biomarkers that predict addiction vulnerability. Future studies can build on these findings to determine what is different in the brains of those who are high sensation-seeking to see what predisposes them to addiction.

Alcoholic on 08:50 - Dec 19 with 2301 viewsScotia

The main difference between alcoholism and drug addiction is that alcohol is available to all and socially encouraged. Alcoholism is a very easy trap to fall in to. If you're feeling good - have a drink, tough day at work - have a glass of wine, it's a glorious day - have a cider in the garden, celebrating a wedding - have a glass of bubbly, mouring a death - hold a wake in the pub.

It's too easy in our soceity at the moment. I like a drink on a weekend, but I'm concious to keep a lid on it a bit.

During the summer of 2019 I saw a guy dressed in a smart business suit sitting on the wall by the bridge in Sainsburys. He looked like he was off to work in a responsible job. As I ran passed I could see he was finihing off a bottle of gin / vodka. It was about 8:30am. I often wonder what happened to him.
Alcoholic on 10:15 - Dec 19 with 2259 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 19:50 - Dec 18 by Boundy

I have no intention of diverting this thread , but I do wish you would do a little research before bumping your gums, no need to respond .

Rutgers study.

"Although many people try illicit drugs like cocaine or heroin, only a small proportion develop an addiction," said lead author Morgan James, a member of the Rutgers Brain Health Institute and an assistant professor in the department of psychiatry at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

"The interaction found between sensation-seeking traits and the drug-taking experience show that predisposition to addiction has a genetic basis, and that this interacts with environmental factors such as patterns of drug use. The sensation-seeking trait was predictive of rats' likelihood to exhibit stronger motivation for drugs when we gave them the opportunity to take cocaine."

The findings, published in the journal Neuropharmacology, shed light on what predisposes people to addiction and may help with substance use screening and treatment.

The lab study found that high sensation-seeking rats -- those with a strong desire for new experiences and a willingness to take risks to be stimulated -- were more prone to developing behaviour that reflects human addiction.

The findings suggest that high sensation-seeking people have a greater risk of losing control over their drug intake, which makes them more vulnerable to drug addiction.

A major goal of addiction research is to identify behavioural biomarkers that predict addiction vulnerability. Future studies can build on these findings to determine what is different in the brains of those who are high sensation-seeking to see what predisposes them to addiction.

I've done a lot more research than you. i've actually rad a book all the way through on this topic - imagine that?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chasing-Scream-Search-Truth-Addiction/dp/1526608367/ref

Mrs CJ has also worked with addicts and alchies, and alcoholism is far worse to withdraw from
[Post edited 19 Dec 2023 10:17]
Alcoholic on 19:41 - Dec 19 with 2185 viewsSullutaCreturned

Alcoholic on 00:09 - Dec 17 by controversial_jack

According to the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, children of alcoholics are four times more likely than other children to become alcoholics. Yet, environmental factors could also be a factor in many of those cases. Family, twin, and adoption studies have shown that alcoholism definitely has a genetic component.

taken from...

https://www.verywellmind.com/alcoholism-is-it-inherited-63171
Alcoholic on 19:50 - Dec 19 with 2168 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 19:41 - Dec 19 by SullutaCreturned

According to the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, children of alcoholics are four times more likely than other children to become alcoholics. Yet, environmental factors could also be a factor in many of those cases. Family, twin, and adoption studies have shown that alcoholism definitely has a genetic component.

taken from...

https://www.verywellmind.com/alcoholism-is-it-inherited-63171

If their parents were alchies or addicts, they would probably have had a traumatic childhood and would carry that burden into adulthood and at some stage, turn to substances themselves to forget
Alcoholic on 23:07 - Dec 19 with 2129 viewsBoundy

Alcoholic on 10:15 - Dec 19 by controversial_jack

I've done a lot more research than you. i've actually rad a book all the way through on this topic - imagine that?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chasing-Scream-Search-Truth-Addiction/dp/1526608367/ref

Mrs CJ has also worked with addicts and alchies, and alcoholism is far worse to withdraw from
[Post edited 19 Dec 2023 10:17]

So you're saying that some people cannot be predisposed to an addiction , despite much research being caried out by experts in the field stating the opposite. ?
I can Imagine you reading a Janet & John book or Putin's biography but little else.

My apologies to the OP for allowing myself to go off topic

Alcoholic on 10:51 - Dec 20 with 2058 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 23:07 - Dec 19 by Boundy

So you're saying that some people cannot be predisposed to an addiction , despite much research being caried out by experts in the field stating the opposite. ?
I can Imagine you reading a Janet & John book or Putin's biography but little else.

My apologies to the OP for allowing myself to go off topic

That's correct, ppl are not pre disposed to addiction. Addiction relies on environmental matters, past history and problems etc. Every addict is trying to get away or forget their problems.

An example for you. During the Vietnam war, thousands of US troops were on some kind of hard substances. Authorities fared that after de mob, the streets would be flooded with addicts.It didn't happen, the vast majority , when away from the stress and fear of the battlefield, simply gave up. Some didn't of course, as they had other problems

I do read quite a bit, I read books, not just clips off google or wiki as you do
Alcoholic on 11:01 - Dec 20 with 2056 viewsScotia

Alcoholic on 10:51 - Dec 20 by controversial_jack

That's correct, ppl are not pre disposed to addiction. Addiction relies on environmental matters, past history and problems etc. Every addict is trying to get away or forget their problems.

An example for you. During the Vietnam war, thousands of US troops were on some kind of hard substances. Authorities fared that after de mob, the streets would be flooded with addicts.It didn't happen, the vast majority , when away from the stress and fear of the battlefield, simply gave up. Some didn't of course, as they had other problems

I do read quite a bit, I read books, not just clips off google or wiki as you do

Some people are predisposed to addiction. There's a genetic component to addiction as well as environmental and behavioral.
Alcoholic on 13:06 - Dec 20 with 2019 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 11:01 - Dec 20 by Scotia

Some people are predisposed to addiction. There's a genetic component to addiction as well as environmental and behavioral.

No there's not.An addiction is mental; not physical. Gambling is an addiction, it's not physical.
Alcoholic on 13:22 - Dec 20 with 2012 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Alcoholic on 11:01 - Dec 20 by Scotia

Just an excuse for lack of self control. It is not my fault I take drugs, prescribed or illegal, smoke, drink too much gamble my money away.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Alcoholic on 13:48 - Dec 20 with 1991 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 13:22 - Dec 20 by felixstowe_jack

Just an excuse for lack of self control. It is not my fault I take drugs, prescribed or illegal, smoke, drink too much gamble my money away.

This forum, and other social media is an addiction, but it's not physical , and nobody is pre disposed to it
Alcoholic on 14:01 - Dec 20 with 1986 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholic on 13:22 - Dec 20 by felixstowe_jack

Drinking and smoking to excess is not the same as an addiction
Alcoholic on 14:17 - Dec 20 with 1977 viewsScotia

Alcoholic on 13:06 - Dec 20 by controversial_jack

No there's not.An addiction is mental; not physical. Gambling is an addiction, it's not physical.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3506170/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2715956/

https://www.spandidos-publications.com/10.3892/etm.2021.9976

https://www.nature.com/articles/522S48a

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03629-8

https://focus.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/foc.4.3.401

I could go on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024