Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mr Bates and the Post Office 10:31 - Jan 2 with 8763 viewsonehunglow

My Gid,the most sickening docu drama I’ve seen in years
Toby Jones simply brilliant as the guy instrumental in exposing this national scandal which saw good people made redundant ,homeless and life savings swallowed by a Post Office so inept and arrogant it’s hard to contemplate.
People died because of this

A must watch

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 10:41 - Jan 2 with 3709 viewsThrasher6

Thought it was first class and got my stamp of approval...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 10:44 - Jan 2 with 3698 viewsonehunglow

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 10:41 - Jan 2 by Thrasher6

Thought it was first class and got my stamp of approval...

Very good.
It’s a hard watch isn’t it.

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 10:51 - Jan 2 with 3695 viewsThrasher6

Joking aside I knew one of those affected very well and it was a pretty harrowing experience that his family had. It was a shocking abuse of power by the Post Office and how they didn't connect the effing dots and realise they were in the wrong.....was simply staggeringly arrogant.

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 11:04 - Jan 2 with 3677 viewsonehunglow

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 10:51 - Jan 2 by Thrasher6

Joking aside I knew one of those affected very well and it was a pretty harrowing experience that his family had. It was a shocking abuse of power by the Post Office and how they didn't connect the effing dots and realise they were in the wrong.....was simply staggeringly arrogant.

Our local postmaster was affected .
The Lost Offuce stayed shut for 12 months.
Great people,helpful with community right behind them.
I see him around now,a broken man really.
National scandal and these peoples re the rock bed of our communities

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 11:05 - Jan 2 with 3662 viewsKilkennyjack

Well said OHL, some senior people do need to be held accountable for this dreadful situation.
Start with those at the top.

Beware of the Risen People

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 11:11 - Jan 2 with 3661 viewsonehunglow

Because these poor buggers aren’t the complaining type ,they were royally shafted.
PO acted like a national bully ,one who couldn’t be questioned .
I read interminable posts of how Johnson should be jailed.
Whoever sanctioned this grotesque coverup by PO should be locked up .
When I was Store manager,at a young age, cashing up on a Saturday defined my weekend.
Any shortages in the tills brought untold pressure from above.
Stock takes were also traumatic .
Staff collusion at the cash desks saw me lose my store but I got an assistant manager post at another store .
It was very worrying so I feel for these people ,when the bloody system was to blame

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 12:01 - Jan 2 with 3626 viewsThrasher6

My mate was Lee Castleton....

https://www.ft.com/content/f100c560-b3be-4c01-a184-d7d61bf023d8

Marshall highlighted the case of Lee Castleton, a sub-postmaster in east Yorkshire, who was left bankrupt after a judge awarded the Post Office £321,000 in costs and fees following claims he had stolen £26,000. Castleton was exonerated following the 2019 group litigation.

Castleton was forced to represent himself after he exhausted legal insurance on a counter claim. Post Office lawyers in an internal meeting discussed subjecting Castleton to an “ambush” at his trial by serving him with 15 witness statements shortly before the proceedings.

His trial was treated as a test case by senior Post Office officials, evidence to the inquiry revealed. Richard Morgan KC, the barrister instructed in Castleton’s case, denied in September that he had set out to ambush him.

However, he recognised that the case itself had been disproportionate given the disparity between the amounts Castleton was accused of stealing and the money the Post Office spent on the litigation. “I thought it was commercial madness,” he told the inquiry.

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 12:34 - Jan 2 with 3602 viewsJumpingJackFlash

I'm pretty sure that they did connect the dots but pressed on regardless and for that people at the very top should be in jail.
Login to get fewer ads

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 12:41 - Jan 2 with 3593 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 11:05 - Jan 2 by Kilkennyjack

Well said OHL, some senior people do need to be held accountable for this dreadful situation.
Start with those at the top.

Correct the horizon system was introduced in 1999 under labour. The management of the Post Office and fujitsu lnew about software problems as early 2000 but chose not to make them public.

Another failure of a nationalised company entirely owned by the UK Government. Wonder if there will be an equiry into the Labour government's introduction and handling of this miscarriage of justice.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 13:38 - Jan 2 with 3550 viewsonehunglow

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 12:41 - Jan 2 by felixstowe_jack

Correct the horizon system was introduced in 1999 under labour. The management of the Post Office and fujitsu lnew about software problems as early 2000 but chose not to make them public.

Another failure of a nationalised company entirely owned by the UK Government. Wonder if there will be an equiry into the Labour government's introduction and handling of this miscarriage of justice.

Miscarriage in its purest sense,too.

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 14:09 - Jan 2 with 3494 viewsOhyeah

To get a proper perspective of this scandal people need to read the excellent book "The great Post Office scandal" by Nick Wallis...
Its truly shocking the bare faced lies & maltreatment & contempt the Government/Fujitsu & the Post Office showed to these poor sub-postmasters...
[Post edited 2 Jan 14:10]
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 14:53 - Jan 2 with 3473 viewsGwyn737

Absolutely horrendous story.

Whoever was involved in the cover up should be held to account.
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 15:33 - Jan 2 with 3434 viewsWhiterockin

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 14:53 - Jan 2 by Gwyn737

Absolutely horrendous story.

Whoever was involved in the cover up should be held to account.

Sometimes you see something in the news and don't appreciate the story and heartache behind it. It's important that this type of program highlights these issues.
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 17:44 - Jan 2 with 3355 viewsKeithHaynes

This is interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12918565/itv-viewers-mr-bates-vs-post-o

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 18:17 - Jan 2 with 3336 viewsSullutaCreturned

I was with Royl mail at the time and spoke with several postmasters who said the same things, the"new" Horizon system was dodgy, the computers were already 5 yars old when they were bought and that the PO were doing it on the cheap. One in particular, in Wauarlwydd post office said it was crap from day one.

I also believe there were people high up who knew without a doubt the Horizon system was to blame but rather than admit their own failings chose to say nothing and prosecute, that is purely my own opinion and I have no roof but there were too many people having too many problems for somebody to not know.

Somebody should be in prison and it was never one of those innocent post office staff.
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 18:39 - Jan 2 with 3321 viewsmajorraglan

What happened is completely outrageous and unacceptable and the people who knew about the faults in the system but still left innocent people be prosecute need to be held to account. You ask about an enquiry in to Labours introduction and handling of this miscarriage of justice, but it’s worth pointing out that prosecutions continued well in to 2015 some 5 years after Cameron took over. During this time the Post Office (who were owned by the government) failed to disclose information to the Second Sight forensic review of the Horizon system, the Post Office withdrew from reviews and mediation schemes and they also town an IT working group the day before a key review was to be published.

There’s lots of people who don’t come out of this very well, but it’s hardly a 1 party matter. The senior people behind this miscarriage will of justice must be held to account. If that’s executives, civil servants or ministers then do be it. Nobody should be above the law.

Vennels the Chief Executive between 2012 and 2019 and was in charge until prosecutions stopped in 2015. In 2019 Vennels was appointed as a non executive director to the Cabinet Office by the Conservative Government of the day.

Edit, the system was originally meant to offer a seem less system do that benefits could be paid at the post office, however the DSS rejected the system early doors.
[Post edited 2 Jan 21:29]
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 18:47 - Jan 2 with 3315 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

On the face of it, the PO launched criminal proceedings when they knew that their evidence was unreliable, I think there is room for a police investigation here?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 19:17 - Jan 2 with 3275 viewsWhiterockin

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 18:47 - Jan 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

On the face of it, the PO launched criminal proceedings when they knew that their evidence was unreliable, I think there is room for a police investigation here?

Perverting the course of justice?
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 21:03 - Jan 2 with 3222 viewsmajorraglan

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 19:17 - Jan 2 by Whiterockin

Perverting the course of justice?

Possibly, another one they could potentially consider is Misconduct in Public Office.
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 21:14 - Jan 2 with 3213 viewsGwyn737

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 18:39 - Jan 2 by majorraglan

What happened is completely outrageous and unacceptable and the people who knew about the faults in the system but still left innocent people be prosecute need to be held to account. You ask about an enquiry in to Labours introduction and handling of this miscarriage of justice, but it’s worth pointing out that prosecutions continued well in to 2015 some 5 years after Cameron took over. During this time the Post Office (who were owned by the government) failed to disclose information to the Second Sight forensic review of the Horizon system, the Post Office withdrew from reviews and mediation schemes and they also town an IT working group the day before a key review was to be published.

There’s lots of people who don’t come out of this very well, but it’s hardly a 1 party matter. The senior people behind this miscarriage will of justice must be held to account. If that’s executives, civil servants or ministers then do be it. Nobody should be above the law.

Vennels the Chief Executive between 2012 and 2019 and was in charge until prosecutions stopped in 2015. In 2019 Vennels was appointed as a non executive director to the Cabinet Office by the Conservative Government of the day.

Edit, the system was originally meant to offer a seem less system do that benefits could be paid at the post office, however the DSS rejected the system early doors.
[Post edited 2 Jan 21:29]

Read around this a bit tonight.

It seems that the biggest villain was Paula Vennals. What an awful human being.
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 23:15 - Jan 2 with 3151 viewsonehunglow

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 21:14 - Jan 2 by Gwyn737

Campaign to have her stripped of her CBE.
This award to people like this turns my stomach
I would love to see our whole Honours list scrapped immediately

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 23:33 - Jan 2 with 3143 viewsBoundy

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 21:14 - Jan 2 by Gwyn737

Her a vicar as well, odoius bitch

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 09:03 - Jan 3 with 3056 viewsonehunglow

My wife is originally from a small village in south Wirral .
The local postmaster was subjected to this .
He hung himself.
His replacement took his place and he too was accused of theft of thousands .
Clearly, what is good is the fact this has now touched a nerve nationally and about time too.
Who is going to pay ?
That is what should be asked

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 09:31 - Jan 3 with 3027 viewscontroversial_jack

Why did the police and CPS take thew case forward?
Mr Bates and the Post Office on 11:16 - Jan 3 with 2998 viewsWhiterockin

Mr Bates and the Post Office on 09:31 - Jan 3 by controversial_jack

Why did the police and CPS take thew case forward?

Possibly because they believed "the establishment" who lied instead of individuals who were clearly telling the truth. The television programme has brought the detail of this to the forefront, hopefully there will be major repercussions and heads will roll. Sadly it will be too late for many and will never be able to erase the injustice.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024