Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brilliant Welsh NHS 18:28 - Jan 6 with 6562 viewsjohnlangy

There's a perfectly good reason for the title. I know there are plenty of problems with the NHS in Wales. BUT. All I see are criticisms. So i'll give my opinion.

We have a brilliant GP practice. The 8 o'clock race for an appointment is a pain but when we get through we always get an appointment whether over the phone or in person.

We have a brilliant NHS dentist. If it's not an urgent problem then we have to wait. But if it's urgent we get an apptointment very quickly.

I've had a foot problem for a few years now so around November 22 I put in for treatment. Since then i've had two appointments in Central clinic with a podiatrist and then a few weeks ago an appointment in PT/Baglan hospital with a consultant who was brilliant. I'm now on the waiting list for a minor op. She told me I will get the op within the next 12 months. No problem as it's not exactly life or death.

She said i'd get it done within 12 months because i'd already been on the waiting list for 12 months. So being on the waiting list doesn't mean that you're not getting treated, it means the treatment isn't completed. I hadn't realised that.

My wife had a problem recently when we had to go to A&E at Morriston. It was busy but she was seen within about 40 minutes, had an ECG, back out, waited for another ten minutes or so at which point the doctor came out into A and E and spent five minutes or so speaking to her before saying she could go. Brilliant service.

I could give other examples. But my main point is that we are quick to criticise when things go wrong but don't give praise when things go right.

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:45 - Mar 22 with 940 viewsBoundy

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 09:26 - Mar 22 by controversial_jack

It would be the same in the military or police. There's far more back room staff employed to keep the few frontline personnel in active service.It's just how these establishments work

I believe the NHS also has well below the average in management to employee ratio that you would find in any private corporation.

I cant comment on the police but in the case of the armed forces that's not strictly true , in the case of the Army all new recruits have to complete basic training and once completed are designated roles within , but despite what ever role they carry out they are considered to be able to carry out the same duties as for example an infantryman albeit to defend the base or the wider TAOR.
You are always reminded that you're a soldier first and for example cook/signaller second and have to pass the ongoing fitness and weapon handling refresher courses .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 13:33 - Mar 22 with 906 viewscontroversial_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:45 - Mar 22 by Boundy

I cant comment on the police but in the case of the armed forces that's not strictly true , in the case of the Army all new recruits have to complete basic training and once completed are designated roles within , but despite what ever role they carry out they are considered to be able to carry out the same duties as for example an infantryman albeit to defend the base or the wider TAOR.
You are always reminded that you're a soldier first and for example cook/signaller second and have to pass the ongoing fitness and weapon handling refresher courses .

What i was getting at was, in any organisation there are far more staff behind the scenes than there are on the front line, and this is the case with then.

I think Felix was trying to state otherwise, and he was wrong as usual
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:53 - Mar 22 with 854 viewsmajorraglan

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 21:53 - Mar 21 by felixstowe_jack

NHS staff 1.7 million
Doctors 132,000
Nurse and midwives 305,000

Other staff 1,263,000

I asked for proof that there were 2 non medical employees to every nurse/ doctor please and you come up with the same guff answer, have you actually thought who the other 1,263,000 staff are? I’d say a fair proportion are medical when you actually sit down and take the time to think things through.

The figures you provide refer to the number of doctors and nurses who are registered medical professionals with the respective staff associations and it’s the same nonsense figures trotted out by one of the right wing think tanks when they criticise the NHS.

The figures you’ve trotted out overlook numerous key personnel involved in patient care including Health Care Assistants who do the bulk of the patient care in clinical settings and who usually match nurse numbers 1 to 1 on wards etc, then there’s the Radiographers, sonographers, audiologists, podiatrists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, pharmacists, plaster technicians, paramedics, dieticians, optometrists, dentists and all sorts of scientists who are also involved in patient care. On top of that there are porters, instrument technicians and domestics who all deal with patients.

So going back to the original point, where’s the proof there are 2 non medical staff to every doctor and nurse.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:57 - Mar 22 with 839 viewsmajorraglan

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 06:22 - Mar 22 by Whiterockin

In the other staff are you including porters, cleaners, receptionists ect which are essential to keep A&E and wards open.

He’s including everyone who isn’t a nurse or doctor, the figures are a nonsense.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:00 - Mar 22 with 828 viewsWhiterockin

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:57 - Mar 22 by majorraglan

He’s including everyone who isn’t a nurse or doctor, the figures are a nonsense.

He obviously doesn't know how important a lot of these other jobs are and how vital they are to the running of the NHS. I really hope he never needs to find out.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:01 - Mar 22 with 820 viewsmajorraglan

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 09:26 - Mar 22 by controversial_jack

It would be the same in the military or police. There's far more back room staff employed to keep the few frontline personnel in active service.It's just how these establishments work

I believe the NHS also has well below the average in management to employee ratio that you would find in any private corporation.

In terms of the police, the figures are quite easy to find and there are more cops/PCSO’s to police staff in all the Welsh forces.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 20:00 - Mar 22 with 796 viewsSullutaCreturned

It wasn't hard,

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/the-nhs-workforce-in-numbers
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 20:18 - Mar 22 with 771 viewsGwyn737

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 20:00 - Mar 22 by SullutaCreturned

It wasn't hard,

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/the-nhs-workforce-in-numbers

To understand felix’s angle, you have to start with all public services workers being over-unionised, work-shy wasters who are inept at they’re job, snuffling at the trough filled by taxpayers money who wouldn’t last a minute in the private sector.

If you come from that angle you can believe the figures show any picture you want.
Login to get fewer ads

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 20:22 - Mar 22 with 764 viewsWhiterockin

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 20:18 - Mar 22 by Gwyn737

To understand felix’s angle, you have to start with all public services workers being over-unionised, work-shy wasters who are inept at they’re job, snuffling at the trough filled by taxpayers money who wouldn’t last a minute in the private sector.

If you come from that angle you can believe the figures show any picture you want.

When someone has an agenda facts disappear into the abyss.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:24 - Mar 23 with 705 viewsmax936

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:57 - Mar 22 by majorraglan

I not sure why people are surprised, its not as if Felix hasn't got previous for supporting his right wing chums.

I've had more than enough experience of the NHS in recent years, its run by bureaucrats most of whom couldn't give a stuff for patients, Doctors, nurses etc are hamstring by these people who create positions and then try and justify those positions.

Putting staff on wards who have been in the country for a very short time and then let them loose on patients unsupervised and without the required training.
[Post edited 23 Mar 12:25]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:47 - Mar 23 with 698 viewscontroversial_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:24 - Mar 23 by max936

I not sure why people are surprised, its not as if Felix hasn't got previous for supporting his right wing chums.

I've had more than enough experience of the NHS in recent years, its run by bureaucrats most of whom couldn't give a stuff for patients, Doctors, nurses etc are hamstring by these people who create positions and then try and justify those positions.

Putting staff on wards who have been in the country for a very short time and then let them loose on patients unsupervised and without the required training.
[Post edited 23 Mar 12:25]

The NHS ratio of management to staff is 2% as against the economy average of 9.5%. It's very efficient indeed. You have no experience of working elsewhere as you are clearly incorrect
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 14:28 - Mar 23 with 676 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:47 - Mar 23 by controversial_jack

The NHS ratio of management to staff is 2% as against the economy average of 9.5%. It's very efficient indeed. You have no experience of working elsewhere as you are clearly incorrect

Those figures are correct but there is a different context to NHS management, for example, when a manager isn't in then a person of the same grade or the the next highest grade takes charge.

PS, max has no experience of working elsehwere? That's a bold statement, how well do you know him?
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 16:16 - Mar 23 with 656 viewscontroversial_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 14:28 - Mar 23 by SullutaCreturned

Those figures are correct but there is a different context to NHS management, for example, when a manager isn't in then a person of the same grade or the the next highest grade takes charge.

PS, max has no experience of working elsehwere? That's a bold statement, how well do you know him?

That's what happens in most companies. It's just a hunch going by his post.

Regardless, the NHS is very efficiently run in comparison to the average corporation
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 07:38 - Mar 24 with 619 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:47 - Mar 23 by controversial_jack

The NHS has not bern run efficiently for many years. It is badly run, badly managed. Unfortunately all the political parties know this but will not introduce the radical reforms to change this as to go against the myth of "our wonderful NHS " would cost them seats.

We are now spending record amounts on the NHS for a service that continues to get worse.

Officially the NHS has 35,500 managers which is a ratio of 3.9% not the 2% you quote. The figures do not include clinical staff who have managerial roles as part of their jobs.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 08:53 - Mar 24 with 610 viewsGwyn737

My take is that the NHS isn’t efficiently run die the lack of managers/admistraters.

The figure of 3.9% is still exceptionally low.
[Post edited 24 Mar 8:54]
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 13:06 - Mar 24 with 585 viewscontroversial_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 07:38 - Mar 24 by felixstowe_jack

The NHS has not bern run efficiently for many years. It is badly run, badly managed. Unfortunately all the political parties know this but will not introduce the radical reforms to change this as to go against the myth of "our wonderful NHS " would cost them seats.

We are now spending record amounts on the NHS for a service that continues to get worse.

Officially the NHS has 35,500 managers which is a ratio of 3.9% not the 2% you quote. The figures do not include clinical staff who have managerial roles as part of their jobs.

That's still very efficient. It's the same in all companies, staff, managers often take on other roles.

if it's run inefficiently, that's just your opinion, facts don't back it up
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:18 - Mar 26 with 525 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 13:06 - Mar 24 by controversial_jack

That's still very efficient. It's the same in all companies, staff, managers often take on other roles.

if it's run inefficiently, that's just your opinion, facts don't back it up

Fact easily back it up that out NHS is inefficient and badly run.
Ever lengthening waiting list prove it.

Our GP are claiming for 72,000,000 registered patients despite the UK having a population of only 67,000,000

Three biggest causes of these ghost patients are
Patients have died and not been removed from GP lists.
Patients have move elsewhere in Uk and are registered on two different GP practices.
Patients have returned to their own country.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of the NHS and DWP to do a data cleaning exercise comparing NI numbers and removing duplicates and those who have passed away.

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:35 - Mar 26 with 492 viewsWhiterockin

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 08:53 - Mar 24 by Gwyn737

My take is that the NHS isn’t efficiently run die the lack of managers/admistraters.

The figure of 3.9% is still exceptionally low.
[Post edited 24 Mar 8:54]

How do you judge if the NHS is run efficiently if the targets are beyond the available resources?
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 08:39 - Mar 27 with 448 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:35 - Mar 26 by Whiterockin

How do you judge if the NHS is run efficiently if the targets are beyond the available resources?

In the annual survey just 23% of people thought the NHS was satisfactory.

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 08:44 - Mar 27 with 442 viewsWhiterockin

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 08:39 - Mar 27 by felixstowe_jack

In the annual survey just 23% of people thought the NHS was satisfactory.

It's not satisfactory, mainly down to the lack of funding.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 08:56 - Mar 27 with 431 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 08:44 - Mar 27 by Whiterockin

It's not satisfactory, mainly down to the lack of funding.

Nor sure that is true.

From 2000 to 2010 an average of 7% of GDP was spend on the NHS.
From 2011 to 2019 it increase to an average of 10% of GDP
2020 12.4% covoid
2021 12.2% covoid
2022 11.3%

Seems the more money you spend on it in real terms the worse it gets.

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 09:00 - Mar 27 with 422 viewsDr_Winston

The NHS is the seventh largest employer in the World with an annual budget in excess of £160bn. One thing it is not is underfunded.

We have to move away from the idea that the only way to "fix" the NHS is to keep throwing money at it because that is clearly not a long term solution.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 11:41 - Mar 27 with 379 viewsGwyn737

Covid has definately shocked an already ailing system with a 29 point drop since 2020.

The high point was 70% satisfation in 2010,

Something must have changed then as its been in declive ever since...
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:33 - Apr 8 with 213 viewsWingstandwood

Here is the reality of "The Brilliant Welsh NHS" and looming catastrophe that awaits under the Yokels in Cardiff Bay. My previous predictions have come true, sadly.

Today's South Wales Evening Post headline “One in five G.P practices closed in past decade”

“He warns that despite calls for the Welsh Government to take action to help the profession, surgeries are “heading for the cliff edge and fast, without immediate action to reverse funding cuts the future of G.P service in Wales is bleak.”

If its like this now? What will it be like after another 10+ years of Welsh Government/ devolution. Worried? You darn well should be!!!!!
https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/deputy-chair-of-bma-cymru-concern-over-gp-surg

Argus!

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 22:31 - Apr 8 with 133 viewsmajorraglan

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:33 - Apr 8 by Wingstandwood

Here is the reality of "The Brilliant Welsh NHS" and looming catastrophe that awaits under the Yokels in Cardiff Bay. My previous predictions have come true, sadly.

Today's South Wales Evening Post headline “One in five G.P practices closed in past decade”

“He warns that despite calls for the Welsh Government to take action to help the profession, surgeries are “heading for the cliff edge and fast, without immediate action to reverse funding cuts the future of G.P service in Wales is bleak.”

If its like this now? What will it be like after another 10+ years of Welsh Government/ devolution. Worried? You darn well should be!!!!!
https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/deputy-chair-of-bma-cymru-concern-over-gp-surg

The situation in Wales mirrors what has happened in England where between 2013 and 2022 they lost around 20% of their GP practices.

Between March 2022 and March 2023 there was a decrease of 376 GP’s in NHS England, while in Wales during the period Sept 2022 to Sept 2023 (nearest comparable dates) there was an increase of 50 (3.3%) in GP’s in Wales.

The population is increasing and aging and there are capacity issues across the entire NHS.

One way to increase capacity is to increase the number of places at med school so that there’s a continued flow through the pipeline, but our government have failed to do that, done f he save suggested they don’t want to increase training provision now because it takes 5 years to complete med school and anyone starting last year would be coming in stream in 5 years time when there could potentially be a Labour Government who would reap the benefits!

We’ve been let down by both Cardiff Bay and Westminster.
[Post edited 8 Apr 22:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024