Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Brilliant Welsh NHS 18:28 - Jan 6 with 6559 viewsjohnlangy

There's a perfectly good reason for the title. I know there are plenty of problems with the NHS in Wales. BUT. All I see are criticisms. So i'll give my opinion.

We have a brilliant GP practice. The 8 o'clock race for an appointment is a pain but when we get through we always get an appointment whether over the phone or in person.

We have a brilliant NHS dentist. If it's not an urgent problem then we have to wait. But if it's urgent we get an apptointment very quickly.

I've had a foot problem for a few years now so around November 22 I put in for treatment. Since then i've had two appointments in Central clinic with a podiatrist and then a few weeks ago an appointment in PT/Baglan hospital with a consultant who was brilliant. I'm now on the waiting list for a minor op. She told me I will get the op within the next 12 months. No problem as it's not exactly life or death.

She said i'd get it done within 12 months because i'd already been on the waiting list for 12 months. So being on the waiting list doesn't mean that you're not getting treated, it means the treatment isn't completed. I hadn't realised that.

My wife had a problem recently when we had to go to A&E at Morriston. It was busy but she was seen within about 40 minutes, had an ECG, back out, waited for another ten minutes or so at which point the doctor came out into A and E and spent five minutes or so speaking to her before saying she could go. Brilliant service.

I could give other examples. But my main point is that we are quick to criticise when things go wrong but don't give praise when things go right.

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:10 - Jan 8 with 928 viewsWingstandwood

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 08:28 - Jan 8 by SullutaCreturned

No cuts eh, then how come so many A&E depts in Wales were cut? beaue of inflation, as you well know, there have been real terms cuts because of not increasing the budgets. There are fewer beds, fewer doctors and nurses, there are tens of thousands of vacancies across the UK,

Dr Olwen Williams OBE, vice president for Wales, Royal College of Physicians said:

We know the NHS workforce is under a great deal of pressure. In our most recent membership survey in December 2022, the Royal College of Physicians found that staff shortages are the biggest challenge facing the NHS, with 64% of respondents in Wales saying they were being asked to fill rota gaps at short notice and 49% saying that reducing staff vacancies in their team would make the biggest difference to their wellbeing.

Also, part of the Welsh NHS problems are the lack of resources in social care that means patients fit to be discharged cannot be discharged and end up bed blocking, some patients are in hospital beds for months when they could have been at home,

Dr Olwen Williams OBE, vice president for Wales, Royal College of Physicians said:

We know the NHS workforce is under a great deal of pressure. In our most recent membership survey in December 2022, the Royal College of Physicians found that staff shortages are the biggest challenge facing the NHS, with 64% of respondents in Wales saying they were being asked to fill rota gaps at short notice and 49% saying that reducing staff vacancies in their team would make the biggest difference to their wellbeing.

I’m delighted to see this plan published. We’ve previously joined with other royal colleges and professional bodies to call for action, and this is an important first step in the process. We also welcome recent engagement with the royal colleges over this workforce plan and hope to continue these conversations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor management definitely which is also why there is a lack of resources in some areas and short staffing. Money gets wasted on things that aren't needed for treatement, like the former CEO of Swansea bay trust who spent thousands on a massive LGBT+ flag to fly on the main entrance to Morriston and later on, a massive glass cube that was meant to be advertising something, I think.

I have to add, there are things I know that I shouldn't know and if I posted them, people who told me would get into trouble, I suspect there are plenty like me who know how bad things are in some places.
[Post edited 8 Jan 8:34]

Argus!

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:20 - Jan 8 with 921 viewsWingstandwood

Still waiting on johnlangy's reply about his wife's amazing Morriston A+E expereince which took vastly less time for heart attack/irregular heartbeat electrolyte/Troponin blood testing to be done, tested and evaluated.

And that is not including the initial triage and long waits between ECG/blood tests and doctor examination that is done in the main examination area to the right of the emergency police hotline phone.
[Post edited 8 Jan 17:22]

Argus!

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:59 - Jan 8 with 882 viewsGwyn737

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:10 - Jan 8 by Wingstandwood

What to think that role entails?
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:02 - Jan 8 with 880 viewsWingstandwood

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:59 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

What to think that role entails?

Diversion of money and resources!

Argus!

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:05 - Jan 8 with 871 viewsGwyn737

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:02 - Jan 8 by Wingstandwood

Nope.

I see lots of comments on the twitter thread saying things like “that would pay for two nurses” or “that would pay for a senior social worker part of”. Those arguments miss the point.

I’ll ask again. What would that role entail day to day. What would success look like?
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:06 - Jan 8 with 869 viewsWingstandwood

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:05 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Nope.

I see lots of comments on the twitter thread saying things like “that would pay for two nurses” or “that would pay for a senior social worker part of”. Those arguments miss the point.

I’ll ask again. What would that role entail day to day. What would success look like?

Argus!

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:08 - Jan 8 with 862 viewsGwyn737

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:06 - Jan 8 by Wingstandwood

That clears it up 👍
[Post edited 8 Jan 18:08]
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:12 - Jan 8 with 858 viewsWingstandwood

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:08 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

That clears it up 👍
[Post edited 8 Jan 18:08]

Well obviously it does especially amongst A+E proffesionals in Morriston A+E that have to beg, steal and borrow blood pressure monitors to see to the next patient.

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:16 - Jan 8 with 852 viewsjohnlangy

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:20 - Jan 8 by Wingstandwood

Still waiting on johnlangy's reply about his wife's amazing Morriston A+E expereince which took vastly less time for heart attack/irregular heartbeat electrolyte/Troponin blood testing to be done, tested and evaluated.

And that is not including the initial triage and long waits between ECG/blood tests and doctor examination that is done in the main examination area to the right of the emergency police hotline phone.
[Post edited 8 Jan 17:22]

I didn't reply because I didn't want to discuss the reasons for the visit. Simple as that.

I can't explain why it may have been quicker than what others have experienced, whatever their reason for needing attention. All I could do is tell it as it was for us.

There may well be many people who waited longer for more serious problems. And people are right to complain if they do end up waiting a long time. And they do complain.

But that was the reason for creating the thread giving the positives. The Welsh NHS experience is not always negative.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:20 - Jan 8 with 845 viewsGwyn737

And that’s in no way ok.

However, another massive problem is lack of staffing - getting people to go into the profession and take up roles.

Where there are barriers to certain sections of society entering the profession,it makes sense to proactively remove them. That’s the job of an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion officer.

No point in having plenty of equipment if there’s no one there to use it.

That whole thread seems to based on believing the role is to make sure someone gets a job over someone else due to a particular characteristic. Not true.

If it were, where are all these able bodied, white, straight males being turned away from the NHS?

Shines a light on prejudice, mind.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:06 - Jan 8 with 817 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:05 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Nope.

What would be a success to me wuld be that every applicant through the door was treated exactly the same as in equality f opportunity taking into account any personal needs or disability AND that every candidate who succeeded and was offered a job was offered it becaue they were the best person for that job.

Nobody should get any better or worse treatment because of disability, sexual orientation or skin colour.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:23 - Jan 8 with 804 viewsGwyn737

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:06 - Jan 8 by SullutaCreturned

What would be a success to me wuld be that every applicant through the door was treated exactly the same as in equality f opportunity taking into account any personal needs or disability AND that every candidate who succeeded and was offered a job was offered it becaue they were the best person for that job.

Nobody should get any better or worse treatment because of disability, sexual orientation or skin colour.

That’s not what it’s about Cat. It’s about getting more people through the door whatever their personal circumstances.

Some (not you) immediately see the terms used and jump to quotas etc but that’s just not it.

Whoever gets the role will be looking at ensuring (to name a few):

1. Sites have suitable accessibility for disabled people
2. Language isn’t a barrier (including sign language)
3. Policies take into account flexible working (vital for young parents, usually mothers)
4. No age discrimination
5. Promotion of roles in multi-ethnic communities (if you can’t see it you can’t be it)
6. Working with social care to attract those with caring commitments.

The list goes on.

The whole point is that if you’re disabled, or have a different first language, or have young children, or are older in the workforce, and you know what you want to and a path to do it AND are the best person for the job, there aren’t additional, uneccesary barriers that stop you doing it.

Success would be filling all the vacancies with good staff, I agree.
[Post edited 8 Jan 19:24]
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:44 - Jan 8 with 785 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:23 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

That’s not what it’s about Cat. It’s about getting more people through the door whatever their personal circumstances.

Some (not you) immediately see the terms used and jump to quotas etc but that’s just not it.

3. Policies take into account flexible working (vital for young parents, usually mothers)
4. No age discrimination
5. Promotion of roles in multi-ethnic communities (if you can’t see it you can’t be it)

The list goes on.

The whole point is that if you’re disabled, or have a different first language, or have young children, or are older in the workforce, and you know what you want to and a path to do it AND are the best person for the job, there aren’t additional, uneccesary barriers that stop you doing it.

I'm sure all of those points would come under equality of opportunity
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 20:57 - Jan 8 with 760 viewsGwyn737

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:44 - Jan 8 by SullutaCreturned

I'm sure all of those points would come under equality of opportunity

Quite right.

And to make sure there’s equality of opportunity you get roles such as the one advertised.

As I said it’s not positive discrimination, it’s removing barriers; I mentioned a few earlier.

I read the job spec. Nothing in there about favouritism, quotas, discrimination against white, able bodied, uk national, straight men.

The NHS is crying out for these too.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 13:26 - Jan 9 with 719 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 20:57 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Quite right.

And to make sure there’s equality of opportunity you get roles such as the one advertised.

As I said it’s not positive discrimination, it’s removing barriers; I mentioned a few earlier.

I read the job spec. Nothing in there about favouritism, quotas, discrimination against white, able bodied, uk national, straight men.

The NHS is crying out for these too.

I have said several times, I don't care if any NHS worker is gay or straight ornanywhere in between, I don't care about the colour of their skin, their religion or which football team they support.

All I care about is that they are good at their job AND trying to do a good job.

For the vast majority of NHS staff I have come into contact with, the preceding line has been true, they have been trying to do a good job, all too often in extremely difficult circumstances.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:01 - Jan 9 with 699 viewsAnotherJohn

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:20 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

And that’s in no way ok.

However, another massive problem is lack of staffing - getting people to go into the profession and take up roles.

Where there are barriers to certain sections of society entering the profession,it makes sense to proactively remove them. That’s the job of an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion officer.

No point in having plenty of equipment if there’s no one there to use it.

That whole thread seems to based on believing the role is to make sure someone gets a job over someone else due to a particular characteristic. Not true.

If it were, where are all these able bodied, white, straight males being turned away from the NHS?

Shines a light on prejudice, mind.

I'm not sure that is entirely correct that inclusive recruitment is the core of the job Gwyn. although it may be part of the role. As far as I can see, and based on a recent communication about nurse recruitment, the one who handles much of this in Swansea Bay UHB is the Head of Nurse Education and Recruitment. In fact, SBUHB appears to have been pretty successful in international recruitment with several cohorts of overseas-trained nurses coming through to complete the necessary qualifications/training to practice in the UK.
[Post edited 9 Jan 17:23]
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:34 - Jan 9 with 654 viewsGwyn737

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 17:01 - Jan 9 by AnotherJohn

I'm not sure that is entirely correct that inclusive recruitment is the core of the job Gwyn. although it may be part of the role. As far as I can see, and based on a recent communication about nurse recruitment, the one who handles much of this in Swansea Bay UHB is the Head of Nurse Education and Recruitment. In fact, SBUHB appears to have been pretty successful in international recruitment with several cohorts of overseas-trained nurses coming through to complete the necessary qualifications/training to practice in the UK.
[Post edited 9 Jan 17:23]

No doubt that’s an overlap.

Really important roles across the board in getting the best candidates in.

My point really is the spin put on the advertisement was NHS jobs were being stolen away from some candidates and preferential treatment given to others. Not true.

Admittedly my experience with people with similar job titles is within education, children’s services and adult social care so I’ve made some assumptions.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:36 - Jan 9 with 652 viewsmajorraglan

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 18:02 - Jan 8 by Wingstandwood

Actually the role may even save money and resources for being diverted out of the NHS, it’s a very broad role.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 21:42 - Jan 9 with 619 viewsmajorraglan

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 19:23 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

4. No age discrimination

The list goes on.

Several comments questioning the requirement for the job, but there’s a big issue which you’ve touched up on which has been missed by some.

We often hear the term “institutionally racist” being used to describe the services provided by many organisations and there are times when organisations are sued and haemorrhage large amounts of money in settlement claims. One of the responsibilities the post holder has is to ensure health boards comply with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 which replaced 4 distinct pieces of legislation including The Race Relations Act 1976 and the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and stop them getting it wrong. Every policy, every service needs to be assessed to make sure it doesn’t discriminate and this post holder would oversee that and the policies around oversight. I’ve got a family member that’s partially deaf and I know a few other people who are deaf, their ability to use phones etc to communicate is severely limited, anybody thought about how easy it is for them to book a doctors appointment at 8.30am when the phone lines open? By the time the surgery opens to visitors at 9.00am the appointments have long gone! It’s the same for people who are partially sighted and those who have learning difficulties. Not everyone is able to easily access services which is why roles like this to exist - they are there to ensure action action is taken to prevent discrimination.

Aspects of the role will of course relate to staff recruiting and retention, but the role is far from being a pink and fluffy woke type role as has been implied.

I often find myself agreeing with Jac O’North, but in my opinion he’s wrong on this.
[Post edited 9 Jan 23:38]
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 22:02 - Jan 9 with 612 viewsGwyn737

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 21:42 - Jan 9 by majorraglan

Several comments questioning the requirement for the job, but there’s a big issue which you’ve touched up on which has been missed by some.

We often hear the term “institutionally racist” being used to describe the services provided by many organisations and there are times when organisations are sued and haemorrhage large amounts of money in settlement claims. One of the responsibilities the post holder has is to ensure health boards comply with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 which replaced 4 distinct pieces of legislation including The Race Relations Act 1976 and the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and stop them getting it wrong. Every policy, every service needs to be assessed to make sure it doesn’t discriminate and this post holder would oversee that and the policies around oversight. I’ve got a family member that’s partially deaf and I know a few other people who are deaf, their ability to use phones etc to communicate is severely limited, anybody thought about how easy it is for them to book a doctors appointment at 8.30am when the phone lines open? By the time the surgery opens to visitors at 9.00am the appointments have long gone! It’s the same for people who are partially sighted and those who have learning difficulties. Not everyone is able to easily access services which is why roles like this to exist - they are there to ensure action action is taken to prevent discrimination.

Aspects of the role will of course relate to staff recruiting and retention, but the role is far from being a pink and fluffy woke type role as has been implied.

I often find myself agreeing with Jac O’North, but in my opinion he’s wrong on this.
[Post edited 9 Jan 23:38]

Absolutely.

I should have included compliance which is a key part of the role 👍
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 10:55 - Jan 10 with 569 viewscontroversial_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 07:53 - Jan 8 by AnotherJohn

And very different mixes of public and private provision, as well as different rules determining access to services, patient entitlements, and required co-payments. Actually Nye Bevan had strong views about the difference between the NHS system he envisaged and existing social health insurance schemes (such as the ones Beveridge had studied and which shaped the Beveridge Report). That is why the UK municipal and voluntary hospitals were nationalised and NICs are not what the term suggests. Ireland is an interesting case of an in-between system, with the highest uptake of private health insurance in Western Europe.

Why not just have a read of some of the stuff at the link I suggested?

I’m just going by what i have been told by my Dutch friend
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 10:59 - Jan 10 with 569 viewscontroversial_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 09:22 - Jan 7 by felixstowe_jack

It is still badly run and managed and money poured down the drain.

There are 72 million patients registered at GPS yet the UK only has a population of 67 million. The doctors are paid £142 for each of these 5 million ghost patients. Another £710 million wasted.

It’s not badly run, quite the opposite. It’s undermanaged at about 2% of managers compared to the average for private companies at 9.5%
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 11:09 - Jan 10 with 564 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 10:59 - Jan 10 by controversial_jack

It’s not badly run, quite the opposite. It’s undermanaged at about 2% of managers compared to the average for private companies at 9.5%

Here's an example that shows how the NHS is carrying huge amounts of waste in just two categories of waste.
Inventory - Operating theatres lying idle for large parts of the week.
Misused Resources - Surgeons doing non surgical work.
Basic efficiency issues that a commercial organisation would not tolerate.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:40 - Jan 10 with 544 viewscontroversial_jack

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 11:09 - Jan 10 by JACKMANANDBOY

Here's an example that shows how the NHS is carrying huge amounts of waste in just two categories of waste.
Inventory - Operating theatres lying idle for large parts of the week.
Misused Resources - Surgeons doing non surgical work.
Basic efficiency issues that a commercial organisation would not tolerate.

You obviously haven't worked in one then.
The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 13:08 - Jan 10 with 536 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The Brilliant Welsh NHS on 12:40 - Jan 10 by controversial_jack

You obviously haven't worked in one then.

No never worked in a hospital.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024