Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"If You Dont Change Your Mind .....! 11:50 - Jan 31 with 873 viewsHoustonJack

Having read your recent article on the Leicester defeat and listened to Luke Williams post-match comments it seems to be the same after every defeat. I’ve always encompassed the belief that that if you don’t change your mind you will never change anything. When I look at Swansea City FC this no truer than here, particularly in the way the team is setup utilizing three centre-halves, with two wing-backs, rather than a more conventional back-four.

Why do I refer to this? Back in the darker days of lower division football played at the Vetch Field I was privy to a conversation between two ex-professional footballers, and coaches at the Swansea. Both of them Premier League Winners, UEFA Champions League Winners, UEFA Super Cup Winners, as well as Internationals of England and Scotland respectively. The conversation related to a suggested change in style, playing three centre-halves. One of them wanted to play this way, whilst the other, an ex-centre-halve himself was against it. He explained that in order to play this way, you needed three accomplished centre-halves, which he believed, we didn’t have at Swansea at the time.

Now you could argue that our centre-halves at Swansea right now are good enough, its all a matter of opinion. However, having watched every Swansea game this season, and taking on-board comments from this excellent site, and the head coaches comments I believe that you have to have the same opinion. Add this to the games we played in the previous two seasons under Martin, of which Williams was part of, you will remember that defensively we were better when we played a back-four. When a new management team comes in, as Williams and co did at Swansea, the first thing to be done is consolidate the defence, not compound the problem, which in my opinion has been done.

Just to repeat my earlier belief, if you don’t change your mind you will never change anything.

Blog: A Hard Decision

"If You Dont Change Your Mind .....! on 15:41 - Jan 31 with 724 viewsangryjack

I believe if you play 3 centre halves you should have one ball winning centre half and the two either side should be norepinephrine like full backs who are quick and mobile as more often than not they get dragged put in full back positions to cover the wing backs who are usually high up the pitch,recently we have seen darling getting dragged wide in these areas and getting ruined like against southampton as fraser was isolating him and skipping around him every time as he is not agile enough like a traditional full back
"If You Dont Change Your Mind .....! on 16:16 - Jan 31 with 694 viewsSullutaCreturned

I totally agree with the OP, 3 CB's hasn't worked for us, it wasn't good under Martin when we shipped a lot of silly goals and we still don't have the CB's or wing backs to play this way.

We need to go to a back 4 and start to build on that. If we persist with a back 3 and wing backs we won't get anywhere unless the owners spend big and that just aint happening.
"If You Dont Change Your Mind .....! on 17:07 - Jan 31 with 650 viewsARQS

The one point I think worth mentioning regarding the CBs is that generally speaking, the wing backs have been very poor this season too. Key has been great when he's played and Tymon is improving but having very little outside them hasn't really helped. Ashby is awful, Pederson is very limited and Darling when he plays there is out of position.

I also think that having Grimes as the only real out ball in midfield has really hampered their distribution (and confidence) and is a massive reason why we make so many mistakes in that position. Third goal last night prime example (albeit it it was Rushworth's pass). The fact that we are so used to see Grimes sprinting to receive a loose ball with a player up his backside proves this. If we want to play that way, surely there should always be 2 or 3 viable options (i.e. ball players) open to receive the pass?

Of course, the other major thing is that they're very limited players. Between them they probably make up one good player (Darling's aggression and on the ball ability, Cabango's strength, Wood's pace) - they're all massively flawed in some way or another, especially when being asked to do more than just defend... but we don't help them in the way we are set up.
[Post edited 31 Jan 17:13]
"If You Dont Change Your Mind .....! on 23:34 - Jan 31 with 492 viewsjackrmee

Good OP.
Williams is surely aware that we have been better with a back 4 under Martin and duff. But was Williams actually still here when Martin switched Iit

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

"If You Dont Change Your Mind .....! on 15:40 - Feb 1 with 349 viewsSullutaCreturned

"If You Dont Change Your Mind .....! on 17:07 - Jan 31 by ARQS

The one point I think worth mentioning regarding the CBs is that generally speaking, the wing backs have been very poor this season too. Key has been great when he's played and Tymon is improving but having very little outside them hasn't really helped. Ashby is awful, Pederson is very limited and Darling when he plays there is out of position.

I also think that having Grimes as the only real out ball in midfield has really hampered their distribution (and confidence) and is a massive reason why we make so many mistakes in that position. Third goal last night prime example (albeit it it was Rushworth's pass). The fact that we are so used to see Grimes sprinting to receive a loose ball with a player up his backside proves this. If we want to play that way, surely there should always be 2 or 3 viable options (i.e. ball players) open to receive the pass?

Of course, the other major thing is that they're very limited players. Between them they probably make up one good player (Darling's aggression and on the ball ability, Cabango's strength, Wood's pace) - they're all massively flawed in some way or another, especially when being asked to do more than just defend... but we don't help them in the way we are set up.
[Post edited 31 Jan 17:13]

I thought Key had been one of our better players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024