Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TALK TV 12:48 - Apr 14 with 934 viewsjohnlangy

Opinions please from people who listen/watch ?
TALK TV on 14:01 - Apr 14 with 907 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Only watch it for Alex Phillips, shes my dream lady. Don’t know why they have to stick Edward from the league of gentlemen next to her though.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

TALK TV on 19:06 - Apr 15 with 754 viewsKeithHaynes

Has its place, it’s no good anymore just going with the BBC. Same as GB news and all the rest.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

TALK TV on 18:32 - Apr 17 with 611 viewsjohnlangy

The reason for my question is this.

There have been many threads where the BBC has been criticized with most people accusing them of a left wing bias. I don't know it for a fact but i'd imagine that the setting up of Talk TV and others was to provide some sort of balance. The left wing accusation may be fair in many people's eyes but what I see and hear with the BBC is a reasonably balanced attitude.

If you think about the political programmes - Newsnight, Question Time, Daily Politics - the guests they have are evenly balanced between left and right. And each are given a roughly equal time to put forward their views. Not only that but the presenter corrects what is said if factually incorrect. Fiona Bruce on QT is not exactly lauded for her efforts but one thing she does regularly is put people right when they say something simply incorrect. She has the facts to hand in front of her and quotes the correct figures or statement to balance the incorrect comment just made.

Contrast that with Talk TV. Not all the presenters are the same but i've found Mike Graham to be particularly useless in providing any sense of fairness similar to my QT comments above.

Example. A woman rang in from Yorkshire to talk about immigration. She villified the Tories but then said Labour would be even worse. She said that Labour would have a completely open door approach to immigration and that all those immigrants would go to the top of the list for housing ahead of British people. Both of those statements are complete lies but Mike Graham said nothing.

Then the other day a man name of Trevor Kavanagh, political reporter from the Sun talking again about immigration said that it was all the fault of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. Seriously. That's what he said even though they left office 14 years ago. This time the brains of Britain running the show for Talk TV were none other than JON's favourite Alex Phillips and Kevin O'Sullivan. Not a comment from either of them about that statement.

During the noughties under Labour net migration varied around 200/250/350 K. That was maintained from 2010 to 2019 under the Conservatives with a drop during COVID and then shot up in 2022 to 750,000. So 14 years after they left office that 750,000 figure for 2022 is the fault of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.

Neither Alex or Kevin thought they should say anything to contradict the utterly incorrect statement from this Kavanagh bloke. And he's got form for this because whatever he utters is completely anti Labour.

This sort of thing is the reason for my original question.

Keith said Talk TV has it's place but what's the point of it even having a place when there's absolutely no attempt at balance by many of their presenters.
TALK TV on 23:08 - Apr 17 with 561 viewsmajorraglan

Talk TV is part of the Murdoch empire (much like Fox in the US), the Talk TV channel is closing this summer. GB News is another channel on the right, it’s under scrutiny at the moment having allegedly breached all sorts of impartiality rules and in many quarters there’s unease about the lack of oversight of the channel by Ofcom. If Labour win the next GE, I’d expect a change at Ofcom where perceived bias will be investigated and firmer action taken.

Edit clarify a point.
[Post edited 19 Apr 0:37]
TALK TV on 09:25 - Apr 18 with 515 viewsjohnlangy

TALK TV on 23:08 - Apr 17 by majorraglan

Talk TV is part of the Murdoch empire (much like Fox in the US), the Talk TV channel is closing this summer. GB News is another channel on the right, it’s under scrutiny at the moment having allegedly breached all sorts of impartiality rules and in many quarters there’s unease about the lack of oversight of the channel by Ofcom. If Labour win the next GE, I’d expect a change at Ofcom where perceived bias will be investigated and firmer action taken.

Edit clarify a point.

Talk TV is closing ? The way you've phrased it it could be Fox.

As I say, not all the presenters are as bad as the ones I mentioned. And even they aren't bad all the time. But there are many glaring examples of complete bias. And there's no harm in having a number of news channels, not just BBC and ITV. But they definitely need proper scrutiny.
TALK TV on 10:28 - Apr 18 with 505 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

TALK TV on 23:08 - Apr 17 by majorraglan

Edit clarify a point.

Gbnews has been criticised by Ofcom because they have had sitting MPs presenting and giving their opinions on live news which is against broadcasting standards. The GBnews counter argument is that other stations do exactly the same thing without the same level of scrutiny, David Lammy for example has presented shows on LBC and has delivered breaking news live on air and given his political opinion on the subject without feeling the wrath of Ofcom. The allegation is that Ofcom are going against certain broadcasters more aggressively than others because Ofcom themselves are not impartial.

TALK TV on 19:45 - Apr 18 with 456 viewsGwyn737

TALK TV on 10:28 - Apr 18 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Gbnews has been criticised by Ofcom because they have had sitting MPs presenting and giving their opinions on live news which is against broadcasting standards. The GBnews counter argument is that other stations do exactly the same thing without the same level of scrutiny, David Lammy for example has presented shows on LBC and has delivered breaking news live on air and given his political opinion on the subject without feeling the wrath of Ofcom. The allegation is that Ofcom are going against certain broadcasters more aggressively than others because Ofcom themselves are not impartial.

I reckon the issue GB News has is that it has ‘news’ in the title which gives the impression of certain standards.

If it was called GB Insight or GB Opinions or something, I don’t think it would have so many issues.
TALK TV on 19:51 - Apr 18 with 441 viewshowenjack

James Whale is good for a laugh on talk tv .
Login to get fewer ads

TALK TV on 00:38 - Apr 19 with 396 viewsmajorraglan

TALK TV on 09:25 - Apr 18 by johnlangy

Talk TV is closing ? The way you've phrased it it could be Fox.

As I say, not all the presenters are as bad as the ones I mentioned. And even they aren't bad all the time. But there are many glaring examples of complete bias. And there's no harm in having a number of news channels, not just BBC and ITV. But they definitely need proper scrutiny.

Apologies, I’ve corrected it. Talk TV is closing, not Fox.
TALK TV on 18:08 - Apr 19 with 293 viewsjohnlangy

TALK TV on 00:38 - Apr 19 by majorraglan

Thank you Major. Salute.

I hadn't heard this but can't say i'm disappointed with the news.
TALK TV on 19:08 - Apr 19 with 283 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

TALK TV on 00:38 - Apr 19 by majorraglan

I believe they are going online only.

TALK TV on 12:49 - Apr 20 with 213 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

TALK TV on 19:45 - Apr 18 by Gwyn737

I reckon the issue GB News has is that it has ‘news’ in the title which gives the impression of certain standards.

If it was called GB Insight or GB Opinions or something, I don’t think it would have so many issues.

There are lots of newspapers and channels that are openly and unashamedly biased. As long as they stay to acceptable broadcasting standards (they didn’t with the Laurence fox incident for example) and aren’t libelling anyone then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Nobody is calling for the morning star to be cancelled or shut down for being too left wing. Possibly because nobody ever reads it but that’s beside the point.

TALK TV on 12:58 - Apr 20 with 211 viewsGwyn737

TALK TV on 12:49 - Apr 20 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

There are lots of newspapers and channels that are openly and unashamedly biased. As long as they stay to acceptable broadcasting standards (they didn’t with the Laurence fox incident for example) and aren’t libelling anyone then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Nobody is calling for the morning star to be cancelled or shut down for being too left wing. Possibly because nobody ever reads it but that’s beside the point.

There must be different rules.

GB News keeps falling foul of OFCOM yet the Star seems to not suffer the same way with the IPSO.

We don’t have a far left TV station (at least not like the US) to compare it to.

When I see Talk TV and GB News failing in the UK in their attempt to be Fox, it makes me proud to British.

Our TV news isn’t perfect, but it’s a darn sight better than what’s been dumped on Americans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024