Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. 05:09 - Apr 19 with 3257 viewsSwans9

Gutted we not going to have rush worth next season he has been player of the season by a mile. We losing money every season even with massive wage and squad cuts. How will we continue to hold our own in the championship. If we did go down the money we would lose through TV deal would make it very hard to get back up. I hope he turns out to be Dr Watson with the signings this summer or Sherlock Holmes will have to investigate.
[Post edited 19 Apr 5:12]
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 13:10 - Apr 19 with 2237 viewssw02sea

It’s elementary.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 16:18 - Apr 19 with 2165 viewsSwans9

Let's hope it's not a Barron summer and we get Conner in early in the window midfield needs strengthening.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:38 - Apr 20 with 2024 viewsSullutaCreturned

The most worrying thing is he says we need so many players, it's at least 8-9 from what he said. Our owners won't stump up for so many deent players so we'll have to find the diamonds in the rough and everyone else is looking for them too.

If we did go down at least we would be one of the bigger fish whereas in the Championship we are a relative tiddler, in the bottom third for attendances.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:42 - Apr 20 with 2014 viewsonehunglow

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:38 - Apr 20 by SullutaCreturned

The most worrying thing is he says we need so many players, it's at least 8-9 from what he said. Our owners won't stump up for so many deent players so we'll have to find the diamonds in the rough and everyone else is looking for them too.

If we did go down at least we would be one of the bigger fish whereas in the Championship we are a relative tiddler, in the bottom third for attendances.

I’d just be happy to see the summer with us still in the Championship

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:52 - Apr 20 with 2006 viewsDr_Winston

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:38 - Apr 20 by SullutaCreturned

Our owners have been stumping up for players since they got here. Just last Summer we easily cleared £8m worth of spending. It's one of the criticisms that I simply can't understand. They're not chucking in eight figures worth of "equity" each season because the club are cutting corners.

They've got plenty of other things wrong, but a lack of "investment" in the playing squad isn't one of them. If anything we're spending way too much and should have been looking for the "diamonds in the rough" far harder than we appear to have been.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 11:14 - Apr 20 with 1987 viewsSwans9

18th in the league for spends on agents every year we seem to get a squad with less quality. Should not have to defend loving the club we all want the best for it. Hopefully best case scenario we start to build a squad but we said that since 2016 hasn't happened. We live in hope stid.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 11:48 - Apr 20 with 1960 viewsSullutaCreturned

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:52 - Apr 20 by Dr_Winston

Our owners have been stumping up for players since they got here. Just last Summer we easily cleared £8m worth of spending. It's one of the criticisms that I simply can't understand. They're not chucking in eight figures worth of "equity" each season because the club are cutting corners.

They've got plenty of other things wrong, but a lack of "investment" in the playing squad isn't one of them. If anything we're spending way too much and should have been looking for the "diamonds in the rough" far harder than we appear to have been.

And every year the spend on players who are worse than the year before, since they took over the squad has gotten progressively worse because they keep buying the cheaper options. This year we've had a brief flirt with relegation, next year we may go down if the trend continues.

This season we got quantity over quality, next year they need to bring in roughly the same number of players again.

That 8 million, how many player dod it bring, including loans it was 19. In terms of what the squad needs that IS cutting corners because we get the cheap options. That we spent 4 million plus on just 2 of those players makes it much worse, specially when you take into account the return we got on Yates and Kuhareyvich. What will their resale values be now?
It is a gradual downgrading, a managed decline of our club. We have gone from the Premier league to play off contenders to fighting relegation. Next season could be even tougher.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 14:53 - Apr 20 with 1895 viewsQJumpingJack

the admission that we need a rebuild all but claims the work done in the last two transfer windows was nowhere near good enought.

Highly paid executives need to take responsibility.

Worrying times ahead. I rate Luke but there has to be some concern that our squad next season will be even weaker than this season.
Login to get fewer ads

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 19:59 - Apr 20 with 1802 viewsDr_Winston

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 11:48 - Apr 20 by SullutaCreturned

And every year the spend on players who are worse than the year before, since they took over the squad has gotten progressively worse because they keep buying the cheaper options. This year we've had a brief flirt with relegation, next year we may go down if the trend continues.

This season we got quantity over quality, next year they need to bring in roughly the same number of players again.

That 8 million, how many player dod it bring, including loans it was 19. In terms of what the squad needs that IS cutting corners because we get the cheap options. That we spent 4 million plus on just 2 of those players makes it much worse, specially when you take into account the return we got on Yates and Kuhareyvich. What will their resale values be now?
It is a gradual downgrading, a managed decline of our club. We have gone from the Premier league to play off contenders to fighting relegation. Next season could be even tougher.

Not sure that you can argue that we're cutting corners whilst simultaneously bemoaning the sell on values of certain players. There is no way on Earth that either Yates or Big Myk can be described as "cheap options", unless you're seriously advocating us spending the total sum for both on one player. Spending £5m+ on one player in our current situation would be bonkers.

We've spent plenty. We've not often spent it wisely. Piroe for £1.5m was a wise purchase. Likewise Downes for £1m. Hell, even Obafemi left for double what we paid. We need to see a lot more of that than an increase in the number of more expensive acquisitions.
[Post edited 20 Apr 20:03]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 20:44 - Apr 20 with 1771 viewsSullutaCreturned

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 19:59 - Apr 20 by Dr_Winston

Not sure that you can argue that we're cutting corners whilst simultaneously bemoaning the sell on values of certain players. There is no way on Earth that either Yates or Big Myk can be described as "cheap options", unless you're seriously advocating us spending the total sum for both on one player. Spending £5m+ on one player in our current situation would be bonkers.

We've spent plenty. We've not often spent it wisely. Piroe for £1.5m was a wise purchase. Likewise Downes for £1m. Hell, even Obafemi left for double what we paid. We need to see a lot more of that than an increase in the number of more expensive acquisitions.

Surely moaning that we're buying cheap then moaning they also have no sell on value is logical? We paid peanuts so we can't expect more than even fewer peanuts in return.

As it goes spending 4-5 million on one striker might have been a far better idea if he was a success but spending that money on two strikers, one barely gets a look in and the other is latgely a failure, it's hardly a glowing review of our transfers.

I have said before that we should have brought in fewer players of better quality, that we had quantity over quality and you just back that up. I've not advocated spending bigger sums on even more players but spending bigger sums on fewer players, better uality players is, to myself at least, a better idea.

Why have a 2 million player on the bench on matchday and never use him? Why is he there, to make Williams coffee? Piroe and Dones were great signings but sinc then we have signed too many flops, including Duff.

We can only hope lessons have indeed been learned.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 20:49 - Apr 20 with 1756 viewsDr_Winston

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 20:44 - Apr 20 by SullutaCreturned

Surely moaning that we're buying cheap then moaning they also have no sell on value is logical? We paid peanuts so we can't expect more than even fewer peanuts in return.

As it goes spending 4-5 million on one striker might have been a far better idea if he was a success but spending that money on two strikers, one barely gets a look in and the other is latgely a failure, it's hardly a glowing review of our transfers.

I have said before that we should have brought in fewer players of better quality, that we had quantity over quality and you just back that up. I've not advocated spending bigger sums on even more players but spending bigger sums on fewer players, better uality players is, to myself at least, a better idea.

Why have a 2 million player on the bench on matchday and never use him? Why is he there, to make Williams coffee? Piroe and Dones were great signings but sinc then we have signed too many flops, including Duff.

We can only hope lessons have indeed been learned.

On what planet is a club in our financial position spending £2m+ each on at least three players last Summer peanuts? If we'd bought a £5m striker to suit Duff and then sacked Duff do we think the striker is likely to have done any better than Yates has?

There are absolutely no guarantees that bigger fees = better players. Jason Scotland cost £25000 and was perfect for us. Eder cost £5m and wasn't.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 21:05 - Apr 20 with 1740 viewsSullutaCreturned

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 20:49 - Apr 20 by Dr_Winston

On what planet is a club in our financial position spending £2m+ each on at least three players last Summer peanuts? If we'd bought a £5m striker to suit Duff and then sacked Duff do we think the striker is likely to have done any better than Yates has?

There are absolutely no guarantees that bigger fees = better players. Jason Scotland cost £25000 and was perfect for us. Eder cost £5m and wasn't.

It wasn't what we spent on those two players I meant was peanuts, it was what we spent altogether on so many players, the figures being relatively worse because we spent over half of it on 2 players who turned out to be failures.

And I agree, a bigger fee desn't guarantee anything but having brought a manager in who is supposed to be the answer they deserve supporting. They have told our last 4 managers they will be supported, one was sacked but 3 decided to leave, 2 of them because the board shafted them so what it comes down to is poor decision making by the person or peope responsible.

I havent seen much to suggest any hope that things have changed. In fact what a club employee told me about Coleman made things worse.

Time will tell but any faith I had in our ownership is gone. I've just stopped going because I now see it as a waste of my money, something that Im not prepared to keep doing.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 21:10 - Apr 20 with 1720 viewsDr_Winston

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 21:05 - Apr 20 by SullutaCreturned

It wasn't what we spent on those two players I meant was peanuts, it was what we spent altogether on so many players, the figures being relatively worse because we spent over half of it on 2 players who turned out to be failures.

And I agree, a bigger fee desn't guarantee anything but having brought a manager in who is supposed to be the answer they deserve supporting. They have told our last 4 managers they will be supported, one was sacked but 3 decided to leave, 2 of them because the board shafted them so what it comes down to is poor decision making by the person or peope responsible.

I havent seen much to suggest any hope that things have changed. In fact what a club employee told me about Coleman made things worse.

Time will tell but any faith I had in our ownership is gone. I've just stopped going because I now see it as a waste of my money, something that Im not prepared to keep doing.

The club didn't sack Russell Martin despite him presiding over our worst run of form for 20 years even though he had a squad clearly capable of more. If that's not support, I don't know what is. We really need to stop pretending as a club that he wasn't indulged and given every opportunity to do better than he did for two years.

Cooper too was backed. He just wasn't backed with the exact players he wanted. He stropped because we didn't sign enough England u17's for him. A better manager would have just got on with it.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. (n/t) on 22:29 - Apr 20 with 1662 viewsbuilthjack

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 21:10 - Apr 20 by Dr_Winston

The club didn't sack Russell Martin despite him presiding over our worst run of form for 20 years even though he had a squad clearly capable of more. If that's not support, I don't know what is. We really need to stop pretending as a club that he wasn't indulged and given every opportunity to do better than he did for two years.

Cooper too was backed. He just wasn't backed with the exact players he wanted. He stropped because we didn't sign enough England u17's for him. A better manager would have just got on with it.

[Post edited 20 Apr 22:31]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 23:01 - Apr 20 with 1607 viewsReslovenSwan1

Recruitment is a tricky business and luck is involved. I remember Steve Walsh a genius at Leicester but almost bankrupted Everton.

The fact is if you buy

a) A bad player for £2m you can usually move him on for a loss of say £1m resulting in a £1m loss. Asoro was one of these. Swansea declined to develop this player who has improved a bit since he left.

b) A good player for £2m there is no upper limit to the money you could recieve. Guyorkeses was sold for £20m and now worth £80m. Piroe was like this.

This means if you buy 6 players 3 good and 3 bad you are still in profit

To qute MoTD2

Three good - Tymon, Key and Ronald Spent £3.5m. Valuation £12m. (?)
Three bad - Kukharevych, Pedersen and Yates Spent £6m. Valuation £4.5m

Balance £16. 5m value from £9.5m spent.

WATSON # IN

Wise sage since Toshack era

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 08:27 - Apr 21 with 1494 viewsWhiterockin

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 23:01 - Apr 20 by ReslovenSwan1

Recruitment is a tricky business and luck is involved. I remember Steve Walsh a genius at Leicester but almost bankrupted Everton.

The fact is if you buy

a) A bad player for £2m you can usually move him on for a loss of say £1m resulting in a £1m loss. Asoro was one of these. Swansea declined to develop this player who has improved a bit since he left.

b) A good player for £2m there is no upper limit to the money you could recieve. Guyorkeses was sold for £20m and now worth £80m. Piroe was like this.

This means if you buy 6 players 3 good and 3 bad you are still in profit

To qute MoTD2

Three good - Tymon, Key and Ronald Spent £3.5m. Valuation £12m. (?)
Three bad - Kukharevych, Pedersen and Yates Spent £6m. Valuation £4.5m

Balance £16. 5m value from £9.5m spent.

WATSON # IN

It's never as simple as that, you have to concider agents and signing on fees, wages for the season ect. Then there are hidden fees like the charges lodged at Companies House, were they to cover staged payments of transfers? Tjoe-A-On and some of the loans have cost and not been successful. I get your point but it really isn't as simple as transfer money in and transfer out.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 08:35 - Apr 21 with 1480 viewsDr_Winston

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 08:27 - Apr 21 by Whiterockin

It's never as simple as that, you have to concider agents and signing on fees, wages for the season ect. Then there are hidden fees like the charges lodged at Companies House, were they to cover staged payments of transfers? Tjoe-A-On and some of the loans have cost and not been successful. I get your point but it really isn't as simple as transfer money in and transfer out.

Indeed. Running a Championship football club is murderously expensive. Most football supporters understand this about as well as my cat understands particle physics, which is why you can hardly find a team anywhere whose supporters aren't continually screaming for more and more players. More and more spending.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:26 - Apr 21 with 1395 viewsonehunglow

Fans have every right to demand the best
That this is impractical or not possible is irrekevant as it’s part of fan ship.
Without dreams ,football is pointless .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:33 - Apr 21 with 1383 viewsDr_Winston

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 10:26 - Apr 21 by onehunglow

Fans have every right to demand the best
That this is impractical or not possible is irrekevant as it’s part of fan ship.
Without dreams ,football is pointless .

And these same fans "demanding the best" are the exact same fans who inevitably end up slinging mud at ownerships who bankrupt their clubs trying to deliver it whilst pretending that they bear no responsibility themselves whatsoever.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 11:33 - Apr 21 with 1339 viewsSullutaCreturned

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 21:10 - Apr 20 by Dr_Winston

Martin, like Cooper was made promises that weren't lived up to. In Cooper's case he told them he needed a striker and what he got was 2 American players he didn't want. When it became clear to him he wsn't getting near what he wanted he gave up and had decided to leave long before he went, it was one of the strangest and silliest drawn out endings I have seen.
Cooper was backed to a point but with too many loan signings. Then he was given what he didn't want, that wasn't backing.

Martin not being sacked was just another massive cock up, they didnt buy what he wanted but when we went on a 21 game run with just 3 wins they didn't sack him, it was neither one thing nor the other and was bad for the club as a whle, the fanbase split over it. Martin shoud have done better with the squad he had but his stubborness cost the club dear, we should have made the play offs.
The big problem there really was we couldn't afford what Martin wanted because to succeed with his style needed the kind of money Southampton have but we don't.

It seems that some managers these days believe in one style of play and cannot think another thought outside that box. Good managers use what they have to its best effect.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 14:06 - Apr 21 with 1260 viewsDr_Winston

Cooper may well have told them he needed a striker. He got given Gyokeres and two other forwards and refused to use any of them. That's on him, not the club.

Martin isn't really succeeding at Southampton because he's got better players for his system either. He's not playing the same way there as he tried to here. They're benefitting from what he (finally) learned at our expense.

Your last paragraph is perfect and basically the point I'm trying to make. It's extremely rare at our level and with our budget for a manager to get everything he wants. It's down to them to get the best out of what they have. Neither of them even tried to and both have done their level best to lay the blame for that elsewhere.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 21:52 - Apr 21 with 1112 viewsLuther27

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 19:59 - Apr 20 by Dr_Winston

We’re spending money on donkeys not thoroughbreds.
Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 00:20 - Apr 22 with 1059 viewsReslovenSwan1

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 21:52 - Apr 21 by Luther27

We’re spending money on donkeys not thoroughbreds.

Martin in his first season

Ntcham Piroe Patterson Obafemi Whittaker, Manning. My God that is some firepower for the Championship . Later added too by Wolf and Christie

Wise sage since Toshack era

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 04:46 - Apr 22 with 1021 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 00:20 - Apr 22 by ReslovenSwan1

Martin in his first season

Ntcham Piroe Patterson Obafemi Whittaker, Manning. My God that is some firepower for the Championship . Later added too by Wolf and Christie

Unfortunately under Martin we seldom attacked quickly enough to use our fire power.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 09:36 - Apr 22 with 940 viewsmajorraglan

Williams says major rebuild is needed in the summer. on 04:46 - Apr 22 by felixstowe_jack

Unfortunately under Martin we seldom attacked quickly enough to use our fire power.

And that’s an issue that the Southampton fans are whinging about.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024