Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Care home fees 23:32 - Apr 30 with 1872 viewsTNT

Can a house, placed in a Trust, be sold without incurring care home fees?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Care home fees on 09:48 - May 2 with 608 viewscontroversial_jack

Care home fees on 21:59 - May 1 by JACKMANANDBOY

As I push towards retirement I'm reflecting on my Dad's experience and looking carefully at my own financial position. Providing for yourself seems to be a mugs game and at the same time I would not want to get sick and be a burden on my family.
State provision is only going to get worse. I think there is a market for really good quality advice in planning for your later years, I think I need to look at the insurance market.

Nobody, even the best brains can see into the future. You have to take a chance
Care home fees on 10:00 - May 2 with 588 viewsraynor94

There's a lot to be said for the good old biscuit tin 😉

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Care home fees on 10:55 - May 2 with 564 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Care home fees on 09:48 - May 2 by controversial_jack

Nobody, even the best brains can see into the future. You have to take a chance

Some things are predictable the uncertain things are require flexible planning or a judgement.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Care home fees on 13:44 - May 2 with 518 viewsTogg

Care home fees on 10:55 - May 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

Some things are predictable the uncertain things are require flexible planning or a judgement.

Interesting threat this and totally agree with the scandal that are care homes and funding them.
Our situation at present is we have 91 year old father and a step mother who is 86. Up until last summer they were for their ages in very good nick...even had their last cruise in September.
Since then they have really gone down hill. My step mother had a mini stroke and although not diagnosed we think she has early on set dementia, possibly the same with my father. It's 6 months wait to have a memory test . Another bloody scandal.
Dad was in hospital for two months , going in just before Christmas. Had all sorts of delirium and there were times when we thought he wasn't coming out but he did improve enough to be discharged.
We spoke to him and my step mother about a home for my father but they wanted to be together. Anyway they are both at home with carers going in four times a day and his children also going back and forth. It's not easy but we are trying to keep them at home. They've both worked hard have good pensions and more than paid their way in life.
Now I know they want to try and leave us something when they go, it won't be a huge amount as there are seven of us including two step kids. The thought of a home and we saw what they were like with my wife's father and then the thought of all their hard earned assets bring eaten away by extortionate fees is sickening . As I said both came from humble backgrounds and worked hard for an early retirement. It's just not fair.
[Post edited 2 May 13:44]
Care home fees on 13:58 - May 2 with 496 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 13:44 - May 2 by Togg

Interesting threat this and totally agree with the scandal that are care homes and funding them.
Our situation at present is we have 91 year old father and a step mother who is 86. Up until last summer they were for their ages in very good nick...even had their last cruise in September.
Since then they have really gone down hill. My step mother had a mini stroke and although not diagnosed we think she has early on set dementia, possibly the same with my father. It's 6 months wait to have a memory test . Another bloody scandal.
Dad was in hospital for two months , going in just before Christmas. Had all sorts of delirium and there were times when we thought he wasn't coming out but he did improve enough to be discharged.
We spoke to him and my step mother about a home for my father but they wanted to be together. Anyway they are both at home with carers going in four times a day and his children also going back and forth. It's not easy but we are trying to keep them at home. They've both worked hard have good pensions and more than paid their way in life.
Now I know they want to try and leave us something when they go, it won't be a huge amount as there are seven of us including two step kids. The thought of a home and we saw what they were like with my wife's father and then the thought of all their hard earned assets bring eaten away by extortionate fees is sickening . As I said both came from humble backgrounds and worked hard for an early retirement. It's just not fair.

This country has never ever rewarded those who create ,created the wealth that made us a proud nation.
We have also dumped on them in old age .
The rich and the “ poor” have a safety net,one has family money ,the other the state . Those in the middle,ie the vast majority get shafted .
It’s always been this
Labour the workers party ? Laughable
Conservatives the party of the hard working ,aspirational ,self sufficient ,even funnier

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Care home fees on 14:38 - May 2 with 487 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I understand the difficulties of your situation, I always tried to work with my father's preferences for example finding a home near where he lived.
You do have to work day by day and you'll know if there needs to be a change of arrangements. I think things were easier when we lived in closer communities and multi generational households.
Best of luck with it all.

Care home fees on 20:02 - May 2 with 440 viewsTNT

How are the Carers funded, four times a week, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, many thanks for all advice offered throughout thread.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Care home fees on 21:52 - May 2 with 401 viewsmajorraglan

Care home fees on 20:02 - May 2 by TNT

I think it depends on the circumstances and who’s delivering the care. I’ve got a relative who was very recently diagnosed with an advanced terminal illness, they’ve been discharged from hospital and have returned home on a palliative care package, the carers are NHS community based staff, they call 3 times a day and the NHS are picking up the tab. If circumstances were different and it was local authority or private care then I suspect the individual would pick up the bill.
Login to get fewer ads

Care home fees on 07:52 - May 3 with 351 viewsTogg

Care home fees on 20:02 - May 2 by TNT

They go in four times a day. It's government funded you need to apply. It costs about £100 a week. When we were waiting we had to have private carers. If I remember rightly it was about £3000 a month!!
Care home fees on 07:57 - May 3 with 343 viewsTogg

Care home fees on 14:38 - May 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

I understand the difficulties of your situation, I always tried to work with my father's preferences for example finding a home near where he lived.
You do have to work day by day and you'll know if there needs to be a change of arrangements. I think things were easier when we lived in closer communities and multi generational households.
Best of luck with it all.

Thanks
We are just playing it day by day and doing the best for them. We had a bad day Monday. My sister had to clean my father up
Not nice. However he's been a great parent as was my late mother. Always loved to see people succeed and do well for themselves. We realize 91 is hell of an age for a man and on the whole he's had decent health.
Care home fees on 08:54 - May 3 with 338 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Care home fees on 07:57 - May 3 by Togg

Thanks
We are just playing it day by day and doing the best for them. We had a bad day Monday. My sister had to clean my father up
Not nice. However he's been a great parent as was my late mother. Always loved to see people succeed and do well for themselves. We realize 91 is hell of an age for a man and on the whole he's had decent health.

Look for the positives, your mum and dad are still at home together, you and your family are looking after them, you can still laugh with them etc.
I have a friend who has a mother with dementia, right now she still has a sense of humour when I call in we spend a lot of time laughing at what she experiences, I look forward to my visits.

Care home fees on 09:11 - May 3 with 330 viewsTogg

Care home fees on 08:54 - May 3 by JACKMANANDBOY

Look for the positives, your mum and dad are still at home together, you and your family are looking after them, you can still laugh with them etc.
I have a friend who has a mother with dementia, right now she still has a sense of humour when I call in we spend a lot of time laughing at what she experiences, I look forward to my visits.

and that's the important thing we are keeping them where at present they want to be. Until the time comes where maybe they lose corpus mentis and they are a danger to themselves or each other, we will obviously have to rethink!
It's been quite cathartic writing these posts and important that we discuss life changes rather than bottle them up.
Care home fees on 09:32 - May 3 with 319 viewsonehunglow

Care home fees on 07:52 - May 3 by Togg

They go in four times a day. It's government funded you need to apply. It costs about £100 a week. When we were waiting we had to have private carers. If I remember rightly it was about £3000 a month!!

It is.
Fella next door has private carers.
I hope I don’t become a burden like this if I hang around as I am.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Care home fees on 10:56 - May 3 with 280 viewsTogg

Care home fees on 09:32 - May 3 by onehunglow

It is.
Fella next door has private carers.
I hope I don’t become a burden like this if I hang around as I am.

If you get to your nineties invariably you will become a burden and need some sort of support. You can go downhill fast. Up until 5 months ago they were pretty much independent. As I said they had their last cruise and it will be their last in September.
Care home fees on 12:14 - May 3 with 262 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Care home fees on 09:11 - May 3 by Togg

and that's the important thing we are keeping them where at present they want to be. Until the time comes where maybe they lose corpus mentis and they are a danger to themselves or each other, we will obviously have to rethink!
It's been quite cathartic writing these posts and important that we discuss life changes rather than bottle them up.

Very true, when you start to talk about them you feel a bit of a release and you realise that everyone has similar experiences.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024