Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview 23:36 - Nov 2 with 16682 viewsSwansforever

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/02/swansea-chairman-huw-jenkins-car Very interesting to read.
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:43 - Nov 2 with 8805 viewsWatchman

Superb read and a fantastic thinly veiled side swipe even at the manager and staff.

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:44 - Nov 2 with 8796 viewsNeathJack

"The biggest thing you need — I've been thinking about this for the last month — and I think we [the board] have got it as people who have been with the club for a long time, is belief that you can compete, because we've encountered reasons why we couldn't compete right throughout each division we were in," he says. "We have to make sure whoever comes in to manage, coach and play for us in the future, they can't be talking about different levels of leagues within a league. To me, that is complete failure.

"When I hear some of our players and staff talking [about getting to 40 points] now it really upsets me that they can actually think like that, because you are more or less conceding a third of the games you play in before you start. I find that the hardest thing to take, that we have actually got staff and players that struggle at this point in time to see where we can compete. And that's the biggest challenge I've got, to make sure that turns around and that everybody working with the club believes if we keep doing things differently, we can compete, irrespective of the size of the club or budgets."

Well either it's me or that seems to be a dig at Laudrup's mentality against the bigger sides.
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:48 - Nov 2 with 8722 viewsWatchman

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:44 - Nov 2 by NeathJack

"The biggest thing you need — I've been thinking about this for the last month — and I think we [the board] have got it as people who have been with the club for a long time, is belief that you can compete, because we've encountered reasons why we couldn't compete right throughout each division we were in," he says. "We have to make sure whoever comes in to manage, coach and play for us in the future, they can't be talking about different levels of leagues within a league. To me, that is complete failure.

"When I hear some of our players and staff talking [about getting to 40 points] now it really upsets me that they can actually think like that, because you are more or less conceding a third of the games you play in before you start. I find that the hardest thing to take, that we have actually got staff and players that struggle at this point in time to see where we can compete. And that's the biggest challenge I've got, to make sure that turns around and that everybody working with the club believes if we keep doing things differently, we can compete, irrespective of the size of the club or budgets."

Well either it's me or that seems to be a dig at Laudrup's mentality against the bigger sides.

HJ bang on the money. I reckon he already has the next manager lined up

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:51 - Nov 2 with 8692 viewshooplehead

very interesting indeed

couldn't agree more with his clear criticism

the only thing that has ever rubbed me up the wrong way about laudrup is his defeatism before the big games
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:51 - Nov 2 with 8692 viewsNeathJack

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:48 - Nov 2 by Watchman

Yep.

There's no getting away from the fact that although Laudrup has been excellent as manager, there is a real defeatist attitude when it comes to playing the big clubs.

That said of course we beat Arsenal away last year and of course beat Chelsea over two legs.
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:53 - Nov 2 with 8675 viewshooplehead

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:51 - Nov 2 by NeathJack

Yep.

There's no getting away from the fact that although Laudrup has been excellent as manager, there is a real defeatist attitude when it comes to playing the big clubs.

That said of course we beat Arsenal away last year and of course beat Chelsea over two legs.

all the more reason to stop telling everyone we aren't going to beat them

be interesting to see if laudrup takes heed
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:54 - Nov 2 with 8669 viewsjruss1

Huw's got a clear vision for the club and the ambition to keep improving is clearly there.

We haven't got a great record under ML against the top sides, but it's not a huge concern for me when we are finishing mid table.
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:58 - Nov 2 with 8643 viewsPozuelosSideys

Well done Huw. Just the words you want to hear from the Chairmans mouth. None of this "lets get to 40 points" small time pessimistic mentality. We are here on merit and are capable of further improvement.

Not normally one to blow smoke up the Boards' arses, but this article made me smile. We are not yet finished..

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Login to get fewer ads

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:04 - Nov 3 with 8617 viewslifelong

Yes, it does seem as if is a dig at Laudrup and it is a very good interview, but in defence of Laudrup what he has said has proved to be correct.

It was correct last season and already this season the table is taking a similar shape, with the exception of Southampton.

I don't believe that Laudrup is being defeatist, but realistic.
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:04 - Nov 3 with 8610 viewsskippyjack

When I hear some of our players and staff talking [about getting to 40 points]

This shouldn't be the staffs aim..

47+ should be our target.

To be the greatest Swans team in history.. They'll have to beat the 1981-82 teams 6th position.

Curtis should be drilling it into them (or on the dressing room wall).. Wouldn't it be nice to start it against those tits tomorrow. Get a f*cking speech in Curtis!

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:13 - Nov 3 with 8581 viewsPozuelosSideys

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:04 - Nov 3 by lifelong

Yes, it does seem as if is a dig at Laudrup and it is a very good interview, but in defence of Laudrup what he has said has proved to be correct.

It was correct last season and already this season the table is taking a similar shape, with the exception of Southampton.

I don't believe that Laudrup is being defeatist, but realistic.

Laudrup may have been proven correct, but how much of it is self-fulfilling prophecy? If you go out with a mindset to defend and contain the big clubs, then thats the best you can do without a huge slice of luck. Aim high and stand a chance. I think we are one of the few that can upset the pecking order, and its mainly to do with belief.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:26 - Nov 3 with 8540 viewsWarwickHunt

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:04 - Nov 3 by skippyjack

When I hear some of our players and staff talking [about getting to 40 points]

This shouldn't be the staffs aim..

47+ should be our target.

To be the greatest Swans team in history.. They'll have to beat the 1981-82 teams 6th position.

Curtis should be drilling it into them (or on the dressing room wall).. Wouldn't it be nice to start it against those tits tomorrow. Get a f*cking speech in Curtis!

Aye - because the old Division One was the best league in the world in 1981...
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:34 - Nov 3 with 8448 viewsWarwickHunt

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/01/cardiff-city-swansea-premier-lea
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:39 - Nov 3 with 8377 viewsskippyjack

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:26 - Nov 3 by WarwickHunt

Still our best league finish ever.. doesn't matter how much you dismiss the league. The 1981-82 team still hold it.. it should be an incentive for the team.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:41 - Nov 3 with 8364 viewsWarwickHunt

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:39 - Nov 3 by skippyjack

Still our best league finish ever.. doesn't matter how much you dismiss the league. The 1981-82 team still hold it.. it should be an incentive for the team.

Best finish, yes. Greatest ever team, no.
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:56 - Nov 3 with 8202 viewsdeanscfc

Good ambition from Huw Jenkins but to publicly criticize Laudrup like that is not wise.

Laudrup knows more about the game than Jenkins ever will and it's just a fact that there are leagues within this league...just as it is a fact that unless we do have players on 100k a week then we can't be in that top league within the league.
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:56 - Nov 3 with 8197 viewsskippyjack

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:41 - Nov 3 by WarwickHunt

Best finish, yes. Greatest ever team, no.

Well now is the chance to prove it. The chairman wants it.. the fans want it.. do you want it? doesn't sound like.. happy with 40 points? aiming for that 40 point mark doesn't sound like a great team to me.

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:59 - Nov 3 with 8182 viewshobo

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:39 - Nov 3 by skippyjack

Agreed - that would keep the motivation going right to the end of the season. Otherwise we get to 40+ pts and then, like last season, our intensity will drop
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 01:05 - Nov 3 with 8146 viewsdeanscfc

I'd like to see us get 55 points this season. Should have happened last season but we had a big dip in form. But Laudrup is right to talk about the 40 first.
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 01:29 - Nov 3 with 8092 viewsPrivate_Partz

Huw may think it but he should discuss it with ML first. only if talks have reached breakdown point should he consider running to the press with his ideas. Particularly when an important match is imminent. ML said every match is winnable as a one off but to compete with the best you have to pay top dollar. I agree with that and I suspect every other manager outside the top six feels the same way. ML just
says it as it is.
Huw needs to be careful. If ML walks the next one in could be a turkey and we are on a slippery slope in no time.
I hope it is comments taken out of context as these seem to be direct quotes and therefore unwise IMHO.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 01:39 - Nov 3 with 8033 viewsdeanscfc

Yep. ^^^
[Post edited 3 Nov 2013 1:40]
Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 06:35 - Nov 3 with 7596 viewsSwansNZ

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 00:26 - Nov 3 by WarwickHunt

What this team has achieved has surpassed the achievements of the 81 team, regardless of the position finished. Saying that, the div 1 in that period was probably the strongest it has been compared to other leagues - Liverpool, Forest and Villa winning the European cup.

What Huw said about certain people (Laudrup) is true - he almost tries to set out to get a scoreless draw each time, and it rarely works.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 07:08 - Nov 3 with 7562 viewsShaky

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 01:29 - Nov 3 by Private_Partz

Huw may think it but he should discuss it with ML first. only if talks have reached breakdown point should he consider running to the press with his ideas. Particularly when an important match is imminent. ML said every match is winnable as a one off but to compete with the best you have to pay top dollar. I agree with that and I suspect every other manager outside the top six feels the same way. ML just
says it as it is.
Huw needs to be careful. If ML walks the next one in could be a turkey and we are on a slippery slope in no time.
I hope it is comments taken out of context as these seem to be direct quotes and therefore unwise IMHO.

Word.

Inexplicable and unfortunately demonstrating questionable judgement, plus a hint of delusion as regards his proposed faith based approach to premier league competitiveness.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 07:33 - Nov 3 with 7477 viewsrazorjack

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 23:48 - Nov 2 by Watchman

Ryan Giggs.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2013 7:35]

Forgive your enemies,but never forget their names.

Huw Jenkins Guardian interview on 07:40 - Nov 3 with 7407 viewsDr_Winston

Excellent words from Huwbert there. Nice to see that the best chairman in the Premier League is also fed up of seeing Laudrup bottle it and put Michu upfront too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024