Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Monk as a long term option 23:48 - Feb 15 with 1061 viewsdeanscfc

Regardless of how well Monk does this season, I'm not sure I'll be 100% convinced he is the right man to lead us over the summer. Does anyone else have reservations about having a manager who will not be a name that attracts big players and doesn't have links to good players and other clubs elsewhere?

If you think of some of our previous successful managers they had links at other clubs and were able to use their links and existing knowledge of players to bring in bargain signings:

Brendan Rodgers had worked with Sinclair before and also brought in Sigurdsson, knowing full well that they could do a good job for us.

Laudrup brought in Hernandez, Chico and Michu (the bargain signing of the premier league) both because of his name and his knowledge of La Liga.

Even Martinez who hadn't managed before had contacts in Spain and could bring in players like Gomez.

As much as I'm enjoying Seeing Garry Monk motivate the players I can't help but think he would be better as a coach in future rather than a number 1. We're not a big enough club to get top quality players coming to us just for our name...and top quality signings are what we need if we are to keep progressing.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2014 1:14]
Monk as a long term option on 23:51 - Feb 15 with 1049 viewsDarran

Don't know at the moment but his name is Garry.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Monk as a long term option on 23:57 - Feb 15 with 1034 viewsdeanscfc

Monk as a long term option on 23:51 - Feb 15 by Darran

Don't know at the moment but his name is Garry.

edited for you.

But regardless of what happens now - the fact that he has so few contacts will remain the same in the summer. Surely it's not a good thing to have that weakness (and it is a big weakness) in one of the toughest leagues in the world.

Yeah, this is a big of a negative post...well actually it's just more of a cautious one - I don't want to see us struggle next year because we showed loyalty to someone who did well for us this year. The fact that Monk is talking about the job long term already concerns me a bit.
Monk as a long term option on 00:15 - Feb 16 with 1009 viewsZut_Alors

Perhaps then, if Monk does get the job long term, now's the perfect time to build up our own scouting network, thus making our transfer success less reliant on the manager. Seems like the perfect "next step" for us to take, imo. We've used the PL cash to secure our place in the league, develop the academy facilities, and hopefully the stadium, so why not use this seasons to employ a few extra local, regional and overseas scouts.
Monk as a long term option on 01:13 - Feb 16 with 952 viewsdeanscfc

Monk as a long term option on 00:15 - Feb 16 by Zut_Alors

Perhaps then, if Monk does get the job long term, now's the perfect time to build up our own scouting network, thus making our transfer success less reliant on the manager. Seems like the perfect "next step" for us to take, imo. We've used the PL cash to secure our place in the league, develop the academy facilities, and hopefully the stadium, so why not use this seasons to employ a few extra local, regional and overseas scouts.

Definitely sounds like something we should be looking to improve, and it might help mitigate the situation of having an inexperienced manager in the PL - but there's always the trouble of doing the hard work to scout good players only for them to then be nicked by other bigger clubs with bigger managers.
Monk as a long term option on 01:17 - Feb 16 with 940 views_Kieran

He has links to Liverpool + Everton, at least.

And Paulo Sousa with his extensive contact list brought us the great Jordi Lopez and Dai Cotts for 600K.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2014 1:18]

Reppin' Cwmbwrla, #SwanseaNation, south Wales. Trundleista. Lowri. ♥ - Cariad gyda fy holl galon, y dywysoges Llanelli. Almost as much as I love the Swans. It's G to the Monk. You ain't ready for this kinda technology - N Dizz. #TMT #TheMonkTeam. “I watched the West Ham game last weekend and, I can’t make stuff up, it wasn’t great at all, was it? I’ve spoken individually to all the players and I’ve told them all what I expect from them." “We’re all in this together and I want everyone to know that we’ve given our all. That’s all I can ask for.”

Monk as a long term option on 01:42 - Feb 16 with 926 viewsJackoBoostardo

Problem is - all managers have to start somewhere. Not every manager inherits a big book of contacts on their first day.

A reputation is built up.

A comprehensive and extensive scouting network is the best thing to do. It's important to remember a good manager is not just the ones to know a lot of agents, but the ones who also know their team and the way to take a club forward.

FFS - Garry has only been at the helm for a short period and deserves the opportunity he has been given. We should be fully supporting our manager.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Monk as a long term option on 03:34 - Feb 16 with 888 viewsParlay

Ive not felt in safer hands since Rodgers. He is the perfect fit.

Yes, he will have limited contacts but that is the only downside for me. Top bloke, loves swansea, demands and commands respect, understands the club and players and seems to have us playing in a way that many of us have been crying out for.

He deserves a chance.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Monk as a long term option on 05:29 - Feb 16 with 857 viewsjackportis

Could he not take a sabatical and go to a different club?

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Login to get fewer ads

Monk as a long term option on 07:07 - Feb 16 with 839 viewsDr_Winston

I suspect that an increasing part of our occasional difficulties when bringing players in is our distaste for dealing with agents. Premier League status and the ££££ that provides will be enough to attract the majority of professionals (why else would people like Caulker and Medel pitch up at a basket case like Cardiff with the legendary Mackay in charge), but the willingness to grease the wheels of the process makes it easier.

Our scouting system does need a major overhaul though. Leadbeater has been a disappointment. Our most successful deals in recent times have come via the managers or through our Dutch network. I've long been a proponent of investing heavily to set up a Udinese type system. We need to do something like that sooner or later.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Monk as a long term option on 09:44 - Feb 16 with 715 viewsjohnlangy

Monk as a long term option on 03:34 - Feb 16 by Parlay

Ive not felt in safer hands since Rodgers. He is the perfect fit.

Yes, he will have limited contacts but that is the only downside for me. Top bloke, loves swansea, demands and commands respect, understands the club and players and seems to have us playing in a way that many of us have been crying out for.

He deserves a chance.

You don't give a manager 'a chance' to manage a PL team based on a couple of games.

By the end of the season he'll have been there for 14 PL games and at least three Cup games (FA one game and EL two). By that point we and the board will have a real idea of how he'll cope.
Monk as a long term option on 10:08 - Feb 16 with 667 viewsoldcob

if he proves he can organise and motivate the team and get results, fair enough, the job should be his. Scouting new talent is other peoples responsibility. If the scouts are failing, get new scouts.
The cautious option would be to get an experienced manager for a couple of years with Garry as his assistant to pick up the finer points. IMO he'll make a top manager weather it be here or elsewhere.
Monk as a long term option on 10:51 - Feb 16 with 625 viewsSpratty

Monk as a long term option on 10:08 - Feb 16 by oldcob

if he proves he can organise and motivate the team and get results, fair enough, the job should be his. Scouting new talent is other peoples responsibility. If the scouts are failing, get new scouts.
The cautious option would be to get an experienced manager for a couple of years with Garry as his assistant to pick up the finer points. IMO he'll make a top manager weather it be here or elsewhere.

Doing this with an established team with lots of quality is fair enough and should be easier given the team at last getting up to full strength again and the toughest fixture run being past.

Continue the run in Europe and the FA would be an achievement and if we can really kick on with these would be Brilliant and really help with player recruitment.

Trick comes next year with player changes when the manager makes the team his own. Regardless of who does the scouting certainly in the near future we will be in with the pack as far as signings go and one factor will be not only the relationship with the manager but the quality of the players still there and the confidence the player has in the stability of the team and that the manager will be able to kick the team on to the next level.

I have no doubt Monk will put his heart and soul into it. It is a big ask for Monk but also the most amazing opportunity for him even if only short term.

If it works for the club or if they are already lining up the next manager only time will tell.
Monk as a long term option on 10:55 - Feb 16 with 619 viewsexiledclaseboy

Monk's here for the long haul regardless. If we stay up the job's his and in the unlikely event we go down the board will consider him the best man to take us back up. Rightly or wrongly, the board wants Monk as manager so that's what's going to happen.

Poll: Tory leader

Monk as a long term option on 10:59 - Feb 16 with 611 viewsDarran

I read an article on him somewhere else earlier entitled The Ginger Mourinho.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Monk as a long term option on 11:02 - Feb 16 with 604 viewsSpratty

Monk as a long term option on 10:55 - Feb 16 by exiledclaseboy

Monk's here for the long haul regardless. If we stay up the job's his and in the unlikely event we go down the board will consider him the best man to take us back up. Rightly or wrongly, the board wants Monk as manager so that's what's going to happen.

Perhaps should have said only time or ECB will tell
Monk as a long term option on 11:20 - Feb 16 with 574 viewspencoedjack

Possibility of Monk with Director of football above him.

GarRy does day to day stuff DOF transfers ....
Monk as a long term option on 11:34 - Feb 16 with 552 viewsDr_Winston

Monk as a long term option on 11:20 - Feb 16 by pencoedjack

Possibility of Monk with Director of football above him.

GarRy does day to day stuff DOF transfers ....

Huw is effectively DoF. Rightly or wrongly (wrongly IMO).

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Monk as a long term option on 11:44 - Feb 16 with 525 viewsScoobyWho

Monk as a long term option on 00:15 - Feb 16 by Zut_Alors

Scfc have a perfectly good scouting ability. There is no need to 'build up' anything. Its perfectly fine and developing yearly.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024