Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Madrid want Ben Davies! 10:33 - Apr 17 with 2313 viewsepaul

http://www.ftbpro.com/reader/swansea/867064/ben-davies-admits-he-can-t-believe-a

Ben Davies admits he can't believe Atletico Madrid want to sign him from Swansea
Swansea City defender Ben Davies is being tracked by a number of top European clubs
Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Atletico Madrid are all said to be interested in the 21-year-old
The Welshman says the rumours have boosted his confidence, but won't turn his head

He turns 21 next Thursday, but there’s another number that has been dominating Ben Davies’s every waking moment. With the season nearing a nail-biting finale, all the Swansea left back can think of is reaching the magical 40-point mark and ensuring his home club remain in the Barclays Premier League.
A couple of wins and a draw would do it and while the shortfall remains, nothing else matters. Not celebrating his landmark birthday, not wondering which club might eventually win the bidding for his services.
There are plenty of contenders. Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal have all followed the Wales defender’s rapid progress closely, and Atletico Madrid are now showing strong interest.
All smiles: Swansea left back Ben Davies has had a fine season and attracted interest from Atletico Madrid
+9
All smiles: Swansea left back Ben Davies has had a fine season and attracted interest from Atletico Madrid
Top form: Atletico Madrid currently top La Liga and will face Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals
+9
Top form: Atletico Madrid currently top La Liga and will face Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals

More...
NEWCASTLE UNITED vs SWANSEA CITY: All the latest team news and stats for the crunch battle in the Premier League
Swansea will avoid setting points target to beat the drop, says club captain Williams
Swansea confirm training ground bust-up prior to Chelsea defeat but tell fans not to worry
Swansea at war! Monk faces new crisis as training match ends in six-man punch-up
COMMENT: Soloists sabotage the team ethic at Swansea City
Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have all had plenty to cheer about but which club's supporters have been named football's longest-suffering fans?
Davies was as sceptical as anyone at first mention of the La Liga leaders, but confirmation has since come from Madrid as well as here that Chelsea’s Champions League semi-final opponents are taken with the composed way he has seized his chance at the Liberty Stadium.
It brings a brief smile to his face, but the serious business of staying up soon takes precedence for a sporting all-rounder who had his rugby-mad dad dreaming he might be another Barry John but was snapped up by Swansea at eight years old.
‘The first I knew about Atletico was when a pal texted me the morning the story appeared,’ he said.
‘My phone beeped and there was this message saying, “Have you seen this? Atletico Madrid?!” I went online to see what it was all about. It is nice to hear something like that because it clearly means you must be doing something right.
‘It’s got to be a boost for your confidence but it’s not going to turn my head. I don’t need something like that to make me concentrate on what’s in front of me or suddenly up my game. I’m going to do that anyway, for myself and my club. I am ambitious about playing at the highest level I can but I tend to think that if you put performances in to the best of your ability, things will take care of themselves.
‘For now, all I’m thinking about is staying up. My mum wants to organise a party for my 21st but that can wait. Once we’re safe, maybe, but not before. I’ve told her to hang on for that, then we can have a proper party.’
Focused: Despite the interest from Spain, Davies is committed to keeping the Swans in the Premier League
+9
Focused: Despite the interest from Spain, Davies is committed to keeping the Swans in the Premier League
On hold: Davies' Mum wants to organise a party for his 21st birthday but the left back says it can wait
+9
On hold: Davies' Mum wants to organise a party for his 21st birthday but the left back says it can wait
BAINES IS BEST, SAYS BEN
Ben Davies was earning £400 a week when he broke into the first team last season.
He is a fan of Everton left back Leighton Baines. Last year, Davies said: ‘He’s probably not the quickest, like me, and probably not the strongest player in the world but the runs forward he makes and the chances he makes make him far and above the best left back in the league.’
If Davies goes to Spain he will become only the third Welsh player to do so, after Mark Hughes and Gareth Bale.
Davies earned an A-star in A-level maths.
His parents are Swansea season-ticket holders.
The range of nationalities in Swansea’s dressing room has been in the news this week, with Sportsmail breaking the story that there had been training-ground punch-ups between the players.
But Davies revealed how manager Garry Monk has gone about imbuing the foreign contingent with a sense of local identity.
‘One of the first things Garry did after replacing Michael Laudrup was to bring a pile of DVDs in and hand them out,’ he said. ‘It was the BBC documentary The Fall and Rise of Swansea City, and he told each and every one of us to watch it that night.
‘We chatted about it the next day and you could tell there wasn’t one person who hadn’t watched it right through. The manager wanted us all to appreciate how much Swansea City meant to people who have been through the rough times and seen the club almost go to the wall.
The boss: Davies revealed manager Garry Monk has gone about imbuing the foreign contingent at Swansea
+9
The boss: Davies revealed manager Garry Monk has gone about imbuing the foreign contingent at Swansea
Proud of his roots: Local lad Davies says he ill be devastating if Swansea are relegated at the end of the season
+9
Proud of his roots: Local lad Davies says he ill be devastating if Swansea are relegated at the end of the season
‘You wouldn’t know it now, looking at the fantastic facilities, but even in my time coming through the ranks, the Under 18s had to train on the beach. There was nowhere else.
‘Anyway, it had an immediate effect because we put in a fantastic performance to beat Cardiff in the next game. We are still in a scrap, no mistake, but I do think we’ve shown more resilience and spirit since then.
‘We’ve just got to stay up. I’ll be absolutely devastated if we don’t. I’m from down the road at Neath and so proud of my Welsh roots. All my family, right through to grandparents on both sides, speak Welsh, and so do I. It was how I was brought up and it just seemed natural to speak English and Welsh fluently. Even at school, junior and secondary, all lessons were in Welsh.
‘If the club need to do an interview for the Welsh-speaking media, it’s always me. But I’m happy with that because the language seems to be dwindling and I’ll do anything I can to keep it to the fore.’
Patriotic: Davies is happy to do Welsh-speaking interviews and will do anything to stop the language dwindling
+9
Patriotic: Davies is happy to do Welsh-speaking interviews and will do anything to stop the language dwindling
Davies was thrown in at the deep end after a serious injury to Neil Taylor but has thrived to such an extent that he has already played well over 60 games since his debut against West Ham in August 2012. Yet it could have been the oval ball that shot him to prominence.
‘My dad is rugby through and through and took me to watch Neath when I was little,’ he said. ‘I played outside half at school and we reached the Wales Cup final two years running. Three professionals came out of that team and went on to play for Ospreys, so we weren’t bad.
‘My dad grew up watching Barry John and Phil Bennett, so I think he liked the idea of me wearing the No 10 jersey. I had a decent rugby brain but I’m not sure I would have made a professional.
Rugby mad: Davies' Dad used to take Ben to see Neath and grew up watching Barry John (right)
+9
Rugby mad: Davies' Dad used to take Ben to see Neath and grew up watching Barry John (right)
‘To be fair to Dad, he wanted me to do what I was best at and what I wanted to do, and that was football. Both my parents have been 100 per cent the biggest influence on my development. They taught me good values and are still there for me with advice and help.
‘That was so important when I was trying to make my way as a junior with Swansea. I saw so many lads come and go at the academy who were good players but got caught up in distractions like going out for a drink. I was always dedicated and focused because football was all I ever wanted to do.
‘We trained twice a week and played on a Sunday. For me, it was never a problem staying in on Saturday night and getting to bed early. I wanted to be at my best the next morning.
‘I hope that doesn’t make me sound too boring because I’m not really. I’m off to Ibiza with a couple of mates in the summer, a real lads’ holiday. I like a beer as much as the next guy. It’s just a question of choosing the right moment, and this summer will be, if we stay up.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2606299/Ben-Davies-admits-beli
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 10:39 - Apr 17 with 2282 viewsexiledinenglandjack

I don't know how much is in it, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen, we have taylor at the club already, and with the potential windfall Athletico will get from selling costa, we could demand a big price for ben and help strengthen us in other areas.
N/A. on 10:40 - Apr 17 with 2272 viewsHuw57

N/A.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 1:32]

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 10:43 - Apr 17 with 2241 viewskopperburgjack

Good lad is Ben! Always down to earth! All round sportsman

Win, draw or lose.. Jacks are on the booze

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 10:59 - Apr 17 with 2160 viewsZut_Alors

With the right coaching he could become one of the best around. Would love him to be a long term Swans player, but I wouldn't begrudge him a move away if the price was right.

It's great to see Bale doing so well in La Liga and I'm sure Ben would do well there as well.
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 12:48 - Apr 17 with 1957 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

They can't have seen him play this season.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 13:41 - Apr 17 with 1843 viewsWxmJax

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 12:48 - Apr 17 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Oh the irony

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 13:44 - Apr 17 with 1834 viewsBrockley_Jack

Good luck to the lad if he does go. Thankfully we've a tried and tested replacement dying for a game.
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 22:30 - Apr 17 with 1518 viewsjeza739

Will never make a top fullback. Far too slow and if he's not quick at 20/21 he'll never be. Gets caught out of position too often. We concede far too many down our left. But then again this yr we have conceded far too many full stop!
Just my opinion but Taylor is far and away the better player when fully fit. Ben will one day be a better centre half, ML got that bit right. He looked far more secure v Palace when he moved inside.
I would pick him now ahead of Chico, but then again I would select my mother ahead of Chico, a liability, red card waiting to happen and an embarrassment (Carroll inc this yr) but that's for another thread.
But in fairness Ben has done well when stepping in last yr and great to see a local lad do well but if he wasn't from Neath would he get the same plaudits? Personally I think not
Login to get fewer ads

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 22:39 - Apr 17 with 1486 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 22:30 - Apr 17 by jeza739

Will never make a top fullback. Far too slow and if he's not quick at 20/21 he'll never be. Gets caught out of position too often. We concede far too many down our left. But then again this yr we have conceded far too many full stop!
Just my opinion but Taylor is far and away the better player when fully fit. Ben will one day be a better centre half, ML got that bit right. He looked far more secure v Palace when he moved inside.
I would pick him now ahead of Chico, but then again I would select my mother ahead of Chico, a liability, red card waiting to happen and an embarrassment (Carroll inc this yr) but that's for another thread.
But in fairness Ben has done well when stepping in last yr and great to see a local lad do well but if he wasn't from Neath would he get the same plaudits? Personally I think not

Common sense.

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 23:01 - Apr 17 with 1421 viewsJethroJack

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 12:48 - Apr 17 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Phuck off and leave Ben alone.
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 23:02 - Apr 17 with 1416 viewsWarwickHunt

Centre-half? Too short and can't head the ball to save his life.
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 23:10 - Apr 17 with 1395 viewsDarran

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 23:02 - Apr 17 by WarwickHunt

Centre-half? Too short and can't head the ball to save his life.

I concur.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 23:18 - Apr 17 with 1380 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 23:01 - Apr 17 by JethroJack

Phuck off and leave Ben alone.

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 00:04 - Apr 18 with 1323 viewsJethroJack

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 23:18 - Apr 17 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

So, Miss DYSS, not only do you like taking the odd photographic "selfie" you're into "self videoing" too.
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 00:07 - Apr 18 with 1318 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 00:04 - Apr 18 by JethroJack

So, Miss DYSS, not only do you like taking the odd photographic "selfie" you're into "self videoing" too.

Humorous responses really are not your forte.

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 02:59 - Apr 18 with 1253 viewsJethroJack

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 00:07 - Apr 18 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Humorous responses really are not your forte.

Do you even know what the word "humourous" means?
I would have thought that....miserable, negative, pessimistic, critical....was more your bag.
FFS....lighten up...it might never happen.
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 07:25 - Apr 18 with 1172 viewsKilkennyjack

I think ben has a huge talent. A top top player in the making. None so blind as those who do not want to see. He is 20.

Beware of the Risen People

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 07:40 - Apr 18 with 1158 viewsJethroJack

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 07:25 - Apr 18 by Kilkennyjack

I think ben has a huge talent. A top top player in the making. None so blind as those who do not want to see. He is 20.

Spot on
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 07:50 - Apr 18 with 1144 viewsKulusBeatFactory

CM - a bit like Gareth Barry
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 08:40 - Apr 18 with 1094 viewsDrizzy

Sorry mate but you're talking sh*te.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2014 8:40]

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 08:43 - Apr 18 with 1085 viewsDr_Winston

Young player in "not as good as last season in a struggling side" shock.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 09:42 - Apr 18 with 1005 viewsWarwickHunt

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 08:43 - Apr 18 by Dr_Winston

Young player in "not as good as last season in a struggling side" shock.

Great talent but overplayed this season.
Has had some shockers but the potential is obvious (see also: Shelvey, J).

He really needs to work on his crossing though...
Madrid want Ben Davies! on 10:40 - Apr 18 with 965 viewswaynekerr55

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 09:42 - Apr 18 by WarwickHunt

Great talent but overplayed this season.
Has had some shockers but the potential is obvious (see also: Shelvey, J).

He really needs to work on his crossing though...

Wonder if Taylor's bertie big b*llocks attitude pre injury (allegedly storming into the club after his move to Newcastle was blocked demanding improved terms) is a factor in his continued absence.

He was decent against Arsenal - I'd have liked to have seen more of him. I'm Ben's biggest fan but as you say Mr Hunt you can see the fatigue

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 10:41 - Apr 18 with 961 viewswaynekerr55

Madrid want Ben Davies! on 07:25 - Apr 18 by Kilkennyjack

And most importantly - he has the correct mindset!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024