Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Misgender Madness 09:49 - Mar 12 with 1181 viewsDarran

By strange coincidence Bluey and ECB Jeremy Vine has just tweeted this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4305270/RACHEL-JOHNSON-woman-trial-rap

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Misgender Madness on 11:44 - Mar 12 with 1004 viewslondonlisa2001

I know that the first place I'd ever think of going if I wanted to read a sensible discussion on gender issues would be Rachel Jonhson in the Daily Mail...
Misgender Madness on 12:07 - Mar 12 with 989 viewsexiledclaseboy

Misgender Madness on 11:44 - Mar 12 by londonlisa2001

I know that the first place I'd ever think of going if I wanted to read a sensible discussion on gender issues would be Rachel Jonhson in the Daily Mail...

Or a Planet Swans thread with Bluey and Darran on it.

Poll: Tory leader

Misgender Madness on 12:14 - Mar 12 with 976 viewsDarran

Misgender Madness on 12:07 - Mar 12 by exiledclaseboy

Prick.

Misgender Madness on 12:50 - Mar 12 with 942 viewslondonlisa2001

Misgender Madness on 12:07 - Mar 12 by exiledclaseboy

Lol.

The funny thing about all this, is this insistence that 'it's natural' that people are strictly male, or strictly female. And yet, we all know that there are instances in nature where that's simply not true and we don't think anything of it. We all know that certain fish change gender. Temperature affects gender in some reptiles, frogs are changing gender due to herbicides (males becoming females and then able to reproduce with another male).

There's all sorts of stuff like this all over the natural world, and yet people (in western cultures - other cultures are different) are wedded to 'if you're a man you're a man and if you're a woman you're a woman' because that's 'natural' type thinking.
People mix up the whole two sex chromosomes (X and Y) stuff with there being only two genders. Medical research shows that's just not true. And it's not true for as many as a few babies in every thousand (according to the World Health Organisation).

We all want nature to be simple - we all know it's not.

Amazing how wedded to biblical stories our whole culture is when it comes down to it.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2017 12:51]
Misgender Madness on 12:56 - Mar 12 with 933 viewsexiledclaseboy

Misgender Madness on 12:50 - Mar 12 by londonlisa2001

Lol.

The funny thing about all this, is this insistence that 'it's natural' that people are strictly male, or strictly female. And yet, we all know that there are instances in nature where that's simply not true and we don't think anything of it. We all know that certain fish change gender. Temperature affects gender in some reptiles, frogs are changing gender due to herbicides (males becoming females and then able to reproduce with another male).

There's all sorts of stuff like this all over the natural world, and yet people (in western cultures - other cultures are different) are wedded to 'if you're a man you're a man and if you're a woman you're a woman' because that's 'natural' type thinking.
People mix up the whole two sex chromosomes (X and Y) stuff with there being only two genders. Medical research shows that's just not true. And it's not true for as many as a few babies in every thousand (according to the World Health Organisation).

Amazing how wedded to biblical stories our whole culture is when it comes down to it.

I agree, people get confused between the biological concept of the male and female sex and gender, which is entirely a societal construct. A number of countries have officially recognised that for some people gender isn't as simple as male or female.

Misgender Madness on 12:58 - Mar 12 with 926 viewsrock1n

Misgender Madness on 12:56 - Mar 12 by exiledclaseboy

I agree, people get confused between the biological concept of the male and female sex and gender, which is entirely a societal construct. A number of countries have officially recognised that for some people gender isn't as simple as male or female.

- no wonder we got trump and brexit

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Misgender Madness on 12:59 - Mar 12 with 918 viewsBanosswan

Lol.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Misgender Madness on 13:00 - Mar 12 with 917 viewsexiledclaseboy

Misgender Madness on 12:58 - Mar 12 by rock1n

What on earth are you babbling about?

Login to get fewer ads

Misgender Madness on 13:01 - Mar 12 with 912 viewsrock1n

Misgender Madness on 13:00 - Mar 12 by exiledclaseboy

What on earth are you babbling about?

'a societal construct'

Come on ECB you've been to too many public sector equality bs meetings.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Misgender Madness on 13:01 - Mar 12 with 910 viewslondonlisa2001

Misgender Madness on 12:58 - Mar 12 by rock1n

What, people decided that being a member of the European Union wasn't a good thing because gender is not strictly linked to sex chromosomes in the way that people, rather simplistically, believed it was until the advance of medical science?

How does that work then?
Misgender Madness on 13:02 - Mar 12 with 907 viewsexiledclaseboy

Misgender Madness on 13:01 - Mar 12 by rock1n

'a societal construct'

You don't think gender norms are dictated by society? That's weird even for you.

Misgender Madness on 13:16 - Mar 12 with 890 viewslondonlisa2001

Misgender Madness on 12:59 - Mar 12 by Banosswan

Misgender Madness on 13:23 - Mar 12 with 879 viewsWarwickHunt

Misgender Madness on 13:01 - Mar 12 by rock1n

'a societal construct'

He's moving forward organically on a granular level.
Misgender Madness on 13:26 - Mar 12 with 875 viewsexiledclaseboy

Misgender Madness on 13:23 - Mar 12 by WarwickHunt

He's moving forward organically on a granular level.

My ambition is to become Head of Better.

Misgender Madness on 13:31 - Mar 12 with 866 viewslondonlisa2001

Misgender Madness on 13:26 - Mar 12 by exiledclaseboy

My ambition is to become Head of Better.

Speaking of which, the new series is starting soon isn't it?
Misgender Madness on 13:32 - Mar 12 with 862 viewsexiledclaseboy

Misgender Madness on 13:31 - Mar 12 by londonlisa2001

Speaking of which, the new series is starting soon isn't it?

They're filming it now for broadcast later this year.

Misgender Madness on 13:34 - Mar 12 with 858 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Lol.

I think the Western cultures are by far the most accepting to this.

Of course there are some who dislike it, a minority even take things a little further with verbal or physical abuse.

However, like I said, if I was a person who changed gender etc then I'd be terrified if I lived in the Middle East, Africa or many parts of Asia.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Misgender Madness on 13:38 - Mar 12 with 849 viewsexiledclaseboy

Misgender Madness on 13:34 - Mar 12 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I think the Western cultures are by far the most accepting to this.

Of course there are some who dislike it, a minority even take things a little further with verbal or physical abuse.

However, like I said, if I was a person who changed gender etc then I'd be terrified if I lived in the Middle East, Africa or many parts of Asia.

Really? I'd suggest some research. Third genders are officially recognised in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, for example. Thailand has a wide range.

Misgender Madness on 13:40 - Mar 12 with 840 viewsblueytheblue

Misgender Madness on 13:38 - Mar 12 by exiledclaseboy

Really? I'd suggest some research. Third genders are officially recognised in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, for example. Thailand has a wide range.

Official recognition isn't the point. Government may accept and legislate on their behalf but would you seriously claim tolerance is pretty high in say Pakistan?

EDIT:

Using Pakistan as an example, transgender may be officially recognised - but only due to being forced to by the courts.

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/03/160496712/pakistans-transgenders-in-a-category-of-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36648141
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/20/pakistan-ihijrasi-communi_n_241065.html
[Post edited 12 Mar 2017 13:43]

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Misgender Madness on 13:45 - Mar 12 with 831 viewsexiledclaseboy

Misgender Madness on 13:40 - Mar 12 by blueytheblue

Official recognition isn't the point. Government may accept and legislate on their behalf but would you seriously claim tolerance is pretty high in say Pakistan?

EDIT:

Using Pakistan as an example, transgender may be officially recognised - but only due to being forced to by the courts.

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/03/160496712/pakistans-transgenders-in-a-category-of-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36648141
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/20/pakistan-ihijrasi-communi_n_241065.html
[Post edited 12 Mar 2017 13:43]

I've no idea, I've never been there. But you're thinking in strictly western terms. Third genders have been part of society in those parts if the world foe centuries.

Misgender Madness on 13:59 - Mar 12 with 810 viewsblueytheblue

Misgender Madness on 13:45 - Mar 12 by exiledclaseboy

I've no idea, I've never been there. But you're thinking in strictly western terms. Third genders have been part of society in those parts if the world foe centuries.

They've always been part of every society to be pedantic.

The issue is the degree to which they have been "free" from persecution within different societies.

Misgender Madness on 14:12 - Mar 12 with 799 viewslondonlisa2001

Misgender Madness on 13:45 - Mar 12 by exiledclaseboy

As they have in all sorts of traditional and ancient civilisations.

The Native Americans for example, have males and females and those they recognise as 'two spirit' people who are particularly revered.
They have no strict gender rules and men that dress and women or vice versa were completely accepted.
Misgender Madness on 14:17 - Mar 12 with 790 viewslondonlisa2001

Misgender Madness on 13:59 - Mar 12 by blueytheblue

They've always been part of every society to be pedantic.

The issue is the degree to which they have been "free" from persecution within different societies.

If they've always been part of every society (a statement with which I agree), it makes it all the more strange that in the 21st century some people continue to think it's 'weird' or 'unnatural' then don't you think? And since their self expression causes no harm to anyone else, then you have to wonder why anyone creates a fuss.
Misgender Madness on 14:23 - Mar 12 with 780 viewsblueytheblue

Misgender Madness on 14:17 - Mar 12 by londonlisa2001

If they've always been part of every society (a statement with which I agree), it makes it all the more strange that in the 21st century some people continue to think it's 'weird' or 'unnatural' then don't you think? And since their self expression causes no harm to anyone else, then you have to wonder why anyone creates a fuss.

Part of that would be ingrained attitudes from previous generations, surely? There's far less intolerance now in most societies, will still take generations to eradicate it if at all.

Misgender Madness on 14:24 - Mar 12 with 780 viewsDarran

Misgender Madness on 14:17 - Mar 12 by londonlisa2001

You're talking bloody nonsense but you already know that.

It's not always been part of every society in certain countries at all and it isn't today. If you're talking about underground secret society's fair enough but it's not accepted in many countries.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024