Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY 00:17 - Aug 30 with 2961 viewsNotLoyal

It’s a friendly game between two countries who have agreed to play each other in a friendly manner. Yes, it’s the absolutely bloody useless international break where ridiculous games like this are played. Russell is happy though, the cleaners are in Fairwood with a block of soap on overtime, so let’s pretend we give two of those F’s about this game. Don’t expect this Matchday thread to be anything other than dog food.

Finland v Wales
Hellsinki Kitchen
Weds 1st September 2021
KO 5pm ( proving what a bag of pants this game is )

As we all know all Wales games are important apparently ... and only the people who rarely smile find time to criticise. But sod that, if we can’t laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at ? Sheepshagging idiots.

Finland facts
Finland is the happiest country in the world, so a few board members on here should give it a huge swerve. They also have some very decent extreme sports. Wife-carrying championships, Mosquito hunting competition, Mobile phone throwing, Swamp Football and Air Guitar. They love a laugh in Finland.

Wales history v Finland
Games won: 6
Games drawn: 4
Games lost: 4

First game : 26 May 1971: Finland v Wales won 0-1 UEFA European Championship
Last game : 18 Nov 2020: Wales v Finland won 3-1 UEFA Nations League
Both wins for Wales.

Match Report from FA Cymru

FINLAND 0-0 CYMRU
International Challenge Match
Wednesday, 1 September 2021

Cymru were held to a 0-0 draw against Finland in Helsinki on a night where Rob Page's side were left frustrated having created the much better chances on goal while Harry Wilson was denied from the penalty spot in the opening half.
Cymru made a positive start to the match and inside the opening few minutes Ethan Ampadu headed a free-kick from Dylan Levitt over the bar. Wilson then showed his confidence on the ball as he made darting run through the Finnish defence before his shot was blocked after seven minutes.

Finland soon settled into the game, and as they retained the ball for longer periods, so Cymru retreated to two deeper defensive lines but remained dangerous on the counter-attack. Fredrik Jensen had an effort from range blocked for the home side in what was a rare chance on goal, but captain Danny Ward remained untroubled as Cymru remained disciplined and organised at the back.

The big talking point of the opening half arrived on 24 minutes when Brennan Johnson was brought down in the area by Niko Hämäläinen after beating the defender for pace. Wilson stepped up to take the resulting spot-kick, but goalkeeper Carljohan Eriksson palmed away his effort on his international debut as the game remained goalless at half-time.

Finland made a strong start to the second half, with substitute Urho Nissilä making a positive impression on his international debut in the early exchanges as his effort was deflected for a corner on 50 minutes. It marked the start of a period of pressure for the home side, but it was Cymru who came close to opening the scoring on 55 minutes when Wilson was again denied by Eriksson as the keeper turned away his free-kick.

An impressive run from Matthew Smith from the left on the hour mark almost brought the first goal of the game but the midfielder's shot went narrowly wide of the post. Substitute Rubin Colwill also tried his luck on 78 minutes after he replaced the impressive Johnson, and almost converted a cross from Wilson on 81 minutes but his effort went narrowly wide.

Gareth Bale replaced Roberts for the final few minutes to make his 97th international appearance and had a couple of half-chances to find the decisive goal, but it remained goalless as referee Kristo Tohver brought matters to a close, leaving Cymru the more frustrated of the two teams having created the better chances over the course of the match.

Match fitness — With Ethan Ampadu and Tyler Roberts two of the players unable to travel to Kazan for the match against Belarus due to visa issues, Rob Page used the opportunity to start both players and with it give them some much-needed minutes on the field ahead of the World Cup qualifier against Estonia next Wednesday. The requirement to play a friendly ahead of two important qualifiers has been criticised, but Page has used it to his advantage in the case of Ampadu and Roberts at least.

The new attacking trio — The experimental starting line-up provided a new attacking trio in the shape of Tyler Roberts, Harry Wilson and Brennan Johnson, who made his first start for his country. The 20-year old made a positive impression with his pace earning Cymru their opening half penalty. In addition, Roberts and Wilson combined well in the final third, and both played with an attacking confidence that suggested that they were embracing the rare opportunity to play together in their respective roles.

Experimental experience — During the course of the last twelve months Cymru have regularly switched between playing with a back three and a back four, while other tactical variations further up the field have been made to accommodate players and to react to the unavailability of others. This necessity to adapt from game to game has made the side incredibly versatile and there is an ability within the group to react easily to such change. But there are as many benefits in the personnel changes to the tactical alterations, and the excellent performance from midfielder Matthew Smith on his 15th cap was a good example of how these opportunities can really be taken advantage of.

No more to follow, BORING !

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 10:23 - Aug 30 with 1706 viewsChief

Could do without this game, but of course it's a UEFA date that has to be fulfilled.

If given the choice I doubt the FAW would have chosen to have a friendly.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 10:39 - Aug 30 with 1699 viewsjackrmee

Cooper now been called up to the full squad! Well done lad. Great experience for him.
Margytson replaces him in u21.
https://www.swanseacity.com/news/brandon-cooper-called-wales-senior-squad

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:14 - Aug 30 with 1685 viewsChief

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 10:39 - Aug 30 by jackrmee

Cooper now been called up to the full squad! Well done lad. Great experience for him.
Margytson replaces him in u21.
https://www.swanseacity.com/news/brandon-cooper-called-wales-senior-squad

Just seen a tweet from Phil Blanche saying Cooper can't go due to visa issues, but that'll only apply to the Belarus game which ridiculously is being played in Kazan, Russia.

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:29 - Aug 30 with 1676 viewsBadlands

Congratulations to Cooper on his call up … but really!

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:30 - Aug 30 with 1676 viewsjackrmee

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:14 - Aug 30 by Chief

Just seen a tweet from Phil Blanche saying Cooper can't go due to visa issues, but that'll only apply to the Belarus game which ridiculously is being played in Kazan, Russia.

Yeah looks like it. Article says he will only be available for the second game.
Not sure he will get minutes anyway. Still good experience for the lad. Chuffed for him.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:34 - Aug 30 with 1672 viewsjasper_T

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:30 - Aug 30 by jackrmee

Yeah looks like it. Article says he will only be available for the second game.
Not sure he will get minutes anyway. Still good experience for the lad. Chuffed for him.

Needs a rest.

Good to see Sheehan included, started really well in League One this season. Mark Harris is Cardiff's Cullen, looks a bit short of Championship level.
Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:45 - Aug 30 with 1663 viewsjasper_T

Dan Williams and Ben Margetson added to the u21s squad.

Kai Ludvigsen withdrawn from the u18s.
Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:46 - Aug 30 with 1662 viewsjackrmee

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:34 - Aug 30 by jasper_T

Needs a rest.

Good to see Sheehan included, started really well in League One this season. Mark Harris is Cardiff's Cullen, looks a bit short of Championship level.

Yeah I agree he needs a rest, but he was in the u21 squad anyway, so would be away. At least he's getting better experience now with the big boys.

Chuffed for Sheehan as well. See his free kick the other day? Cracker!

Login to get fewer ads

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 12:07 - Aug 30 with 1652 viewsChief

Cooper I'd say considering the other withdrawals (such as Neco / Roberts means Gunter will probably need to play in the competitive games) will get minutes in my opinion.

We're a bit short at the back.

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 12:40 - Aug 30 with 1633 viewsbuilthjack

You never see English club fans complaining that their players have been called up by their national team. I find it odd that people moan that a player has been called up by Wales.
As a player that's what you want.
Congratulations to anyone called up.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 13:47 - Aug 30 with 1600 viewsKeithHaynes

I fear a more colourful NL thread for this one.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 13:54 - Aug 30 with 1597 viewsjasper_T

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 12:40 - Aug 30 by builthjack

You never see English club fans complaining that their players have been called up by their national team. I find it odd that people moan that a player has been called up by Wales.

Have you really never seen it? Find that hard to believe.
Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:20 - Aug 30 with 1578 viewsReslovenSwan1

Playing football is a job of work. If my boss sends me t Cornwall I go to Cornwall and I do not complain about it. These guys are well rewarded. Wales matches are always important and Bale turns up every time if fit. Ampadu and Tyler Roberts have some expalining to do I suspect.

Tyler Roberts and Ethan Amadu cannot go to Russia as they have no Visa. Page should be absolutely furious with them as they "could not attend" their visa meeting.

I assume this is attending the Russian Consulate probably in London at a prescribed time. Perhaps the could not be arsed for a 5 hour flight to Kazan. I would sack them. Roberts has already falling foul of discipline issues.

The scourge of lack of commitment cannot be allowed to come back into Welsh football.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:29 - Aug 30 with 1573 viewsReslovenSwan1

Do not bother posting your negativity Not Loyal. All Wales games count. Footballer are paid to work and not cherry pick their tasks. If you do not want to play for Wales retire from international footbsll and stopl wasting peoples time.

Ampadu and T Roberts failed to attend the visa application meeting. Do not blame the Russians. Ampadu lives in London.

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:47 - Aug 30 with 1559 viewsNotLoyal

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:29 - Aug 30 by ReslovenSwan1

Do not bother posting your negativity Not Loyal. All Wales games count. Footballer are paid to work and not cherry pick their tasks. If you do not want to play for Wales retire from international footbsll and stopl wasting peoples time.

Ampadu and T Roberts failed to attend the visa application meeting. Do not blame the Russians. Ampadu lives in London.

I think maybe a cup of laughing tea and a sense of humour is required.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 15:16 - Aug 30 with 1527 viewsReslovenSwan1

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:47 - Aug 30 by NotLoyal

I think maybe a cup of laughing tea and a sense of humour is required.

Ok keep it light hearted. A few good gags are always welcome in my book.

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 08:11 - Aug 31 with 1312 viewsangryjack

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 11:46 - Aug 30 by jackrmee

Yeah I agree he needs a rest, but he was in the u21 squad anyway, so would be away. At least he's getting better experience now with the big boys.

Chuffed for Sheehan as well. See his free kick the other day? Cracker!

Can't understand how Tom Lawrence keeps getting overlooked by page better than some 5he options
Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 09:18 - Aug 31 with 1283 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 12:40 - Aug 30 by builthjack

Or course you do. There were even complaints that players had been called up to the European Championship Finals. Rashford is a notorious example. Manchester United fans were outraged that he was called up despite needing an operation.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 09:49 - Aug 31 with 1277 viewsonehunglow

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 09:18 - Aug 31 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Or course you do. There were even complaints that players had been called up to the European Championship Finals. Rashford is a notorious example. Manchester United fans were outraged that he was called up despite needing an operation.

Players perform for their employers-our club.They are the ones in whom our hopes and dreams lie.
Internationals just come and go as far as Im concerned and mean little really compared to the Swans.

Im sure many get off on away trips with Wales and good for them but I would rather NO player of ours plays for Wales and risk injury that puts him out of the game.

Purely my opinion.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 13:25 - Aug 31 with 1230 viewsReslovenSwan1

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 09:49 - Aug 31 by onehunglow

Players perform for their employers-our club.They are the ones in whom our hopes and dreams lie.
Internationals just come and go as far as Im concerned and mean little really compared to the Swans.

Im sure many get off on away trips with Wales and good for them but I would rather NO player of ours plays for Wales and risk injury that puts him out of the game.

Purely my opinion.

Posters should give their opinions and not impose their view on other people. You do not speak for the average fan.

I love the Welsh team and so do many Swansea fans. I have no interest in other international teams but like to See Swansea players do well. Connor Roberts has earned a Premier league opportunity based on his Euro 2020 performance and Swansea will get their cut. Rodon was sold as an international footballer.

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 13:50 - Aug 31 with 1218 viewsChief

Kieffer Moore out for the 3 games as he's been in close contact with Covid positive Adam Davies.

The ridiculous notion of only having 1 out and out striker in the squads is backfiring.

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:03 - Aug 31 with 1204 viewsKeithHaynes

The ridiculous notion Robert Page is competent to manage Wales is also backfiring.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:04 - Aug 31 with 1198 viewsjackrmee

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:03 - Aug 31 by KeithHaynes

The ridiculous notion Robert Page is competent to manage Wales is also backfiring.

I agree, but isn't Giggs still officially in post?

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:05 - Aug 31 with 1198 viewsChief

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:03 - Aug 31 by KeithHaynes

A bit harsh, it's not his fault. His record his very good, but he isn't the long term answer. We all know why he's there though and who's fault it is.

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 14:05 - Aug 31 with 1195 viewsReslovenSwan1

Finland v Wales : Matchday Thread FRIENDLY on 13:50 - Aug 31 by Chief

Kieffer Moore out for the 3 games as he's been in close contact with Covid positive Adam Davies.

The ridiculous notion of only having 1 out and out striker in the squads is backfiring.

Tyler Roberts has let Cymru down again. Why did Ampadu and Roberts T not get their Visas?. It easy to let that appointment slip you mind when there is a 6 hour plane flight to deepest Russia. Both of them cannot be allowed to cherry pick.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024