Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week 06:18 - Nov 21 with 3617 viewsWhiterockin

Its fine for the Senedd who shut for the summer break, but it will mean parents trying to all get time off at the same time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67475949

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 07:17 - Nov 21 with 2198 viewsbuilthjack

They do it in London

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 07:51 - Nov 21 with 2184 viewsmajorraglan

It’s a consultation exercise giving people the opportunity to have a say on what schools holidays look like. The extended 6 week holiday is an old concept introduced many years ago so that kids could help with the harvest.
I’m open minded on this, I’d go with a change if it’s the outcome that delivers the best duration for the kids.
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 08:17 - Nov 21 with 2161 viewsScotia

I'm pretty open minded on this. The Autumn term was long this year at 7 weeks, all others are no more than 6.

I'm already eyeing up a nice 10 day break to the canaries in October 26.
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 09:18 - Nov 21 with 2132 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 08:17 - Nov 21 by Scotia

I'm pretty open minded on this. The Autumn term was long this year at 7 weeks, all others are no more than 6.

Welsh tourism likely to suffer?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 09:23 - Nov 21 with 2122 viewsonehunglow

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 09:18 - Nov 21 by JACKMANANDBOY

Welsh tourism likely to suffer?

Might a good thing as tourists not exactly welcomed everywhere ,apart from their money that is .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 09:39 - Nov 21 with 2115 viewsWhiterockin

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 07:17 - Nov 21 by builthjack

They do it in London

Really.

https://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/schools-education-and-learning/schools-and-coll

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 09:49 - Nov 21 with 2105 viewsAnotherJohn

The main teaching union is unhappy and complains that an earlier discussion in WG on this issue had concluded that no action was necessary. When my son was still at school a four week break wouldn't have been good for us because we visited family in the far east most years and stayed six weeks. Now it would possibly help us if the summer holiday air fares spike is confined to a narrower period, but families with far away relatives probably won't like the change. I can't help feeling though that this is just one of a whole series of areas where Welsh policy makers want to change existing arrangements to show that Wales is different - another story from the last few days concerns plans for road charging, for instance. Meal deals, smacking, 20 mph are other areas where I feel an excessive nanny state mindset is manifesting itself. In this case the emphasis seems to be on helping a minority of disadvantaged families who are said to cope badly with such a long break, yet there seems to me to be a need for a balance between the wishes of the majority and needs of the minority, and there would be other ways of offering support to certain families during the vacation. Many other countries around the world also have a long break, so I am not sure the long holiday is always linked to history and harvest time. Are we heading for a time of Welsh exceptionalism, driven by a culture change agenda?
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 9:52]
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 09:54 - Nov 21 with 2090 viewsBoundy

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 09:49 - Nov 21 by AnotherJohn

The main teaching union is unhappy and complains that an earlier discussion in WG on this issue had concluded that no action was necessary. When my son was still at school a four week break wouldn't have been good for us because we visited family in the far east most years and stayed six weeks. Now it would possibly help us if the summer holiday air fares spike is confined to a narrower period, but families with far away relatives probably won't like the change. I can't help feeling though that this is just one of a whole series of areas where Welsh policy makers want to change existing arrangements to show that Wales is different - another story from the last few days concerns plans for road charging, for instance. Meal deals, smacking, 20 mph are other areas where I feel an excessive nanny state mindset is manifesting itself. In this case the emphasis seems to be on helping a minority of disadvantaged families who are said to cope badly with such a long break, yet there seems to me to be a need for a balance between the wishes of the majority and needs of the minority, and there would be other ways of offering support to certain families during the vacation. Many other countries around the world also have a long break, so I am not sure the long holiday is always linked to history and harvest time. Are we heading for a time of Welsh exceptionalism, driven by a culture change agenda?
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 9:52]

Its change for the sake of change , despite the wishes of those involved ,they'll be ignored.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Login to get fewer ads

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 10:39 - Nov 21 with 2060 viewsFireboy2

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 07:17 - Nov 21 by builthjack

They do it in London

And up north, my youngest's school has done for years.

I can see the point but all you have to do is take them out the last week of the July term as they do eff all there anyway, we have done it a few times.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 10:43]
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 10:42 - Nov 21 with 2058 viewsFireboy2

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 08:17 - Nov 21 by Scotia

We did this year, went to crete, 30 °C, lovely, would have been too hot in August.
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 11:13 - Nov 21 with 2030 viewsWhiterockin

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 10:39 - Nov 21 by Fireboy2

And up north, my youngest's school has done for years.

I can see the point but all you have to do is take them out the last week of the July term as they do eff all there anyway, we have done it a few times.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2023 10:43]

A bit difficult if you are the teacher mate.

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 11:55 - Nov 21 with 2000 viewsGwyn737

There’s not really a ‘right’ answer to this – everyone is going to have an opinion based on their circumstances.

In England the setting of term dates is not based on area, they are set by the employer (either the Local Authority, the academy trust, or in some cases the religious foundation of the school) and the only real parameter is that there are 190 school days in an academic year. In a small area, three schools could theoretically have three different term dates.

In practice, the only popular change has been to take a week off the summer and add it to October as has been suggested by the WG.

Personally, I think the summer break is too long and I’d happily see it shortened.

Actually, the dream change for me would be to take two weeks off the summer and be allowed to take 5 days as and when I’d like to.
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:25 - Nov 21 with 1979 viewscontroversial_jack

Teachers won't be happy, they will have less time off
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:26 - Nov 21 with 1989 viewsGwyn737

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:25 - Nov 21 by controversial_jack

Teachers won't be happy, they will have less time off

How'd you work that one out?

Children have to be in school for 190 days per academic year whichever way you slice it.
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:35 - Nov 21 with 1977 viewsWhiterockin

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:26 - Nov 21 by Gwyn737

How'd you work that one out?

Children have to be in school for 190 days per academic year whichever way you slice it.

Is that 190 days inclusive of the days they get off for teacher training. The summer break is normally longer because of training days added at the start of September.

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:44 - Nov 21 with 1959 viewsGwyn737

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:35 - Nov 21 by Whiterockin

Is that 190 days inclusive of the days they get off for teacher training. The summer break is normally longer because of training days added at the start of September.

The INSET Days are extra.

For a teacher it’s 190 + 5 that are contracted but 190 teaching days 👍
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:50 - Nov 21 with 1952 viewsonehunglow

Any “ fine” is well off set by the savings in taking them out of school.
The way holiday companies shaft families over school holiday times has always stunk

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:59 - Nov 21 with 1949 viewsGwyn737

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:50 - Nov 21 by onehunglow

The way holiday companies shaft families over school holiday times has always stunk

There's an ongoing joke that does the rounds that if you ever want to know the school holiday dates, just check the centre parcs website. It'll be obvious.
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:10 - Nov 21 with 1929 viewsonehunglow

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:59 - Nov 21 by Gwyn737

There's an ongoing joke that does the rounds that if you ever want to know the school holiday dates, just check the centre parcs website. It'll be obvious.

Long time ago we took our kids there.
Still feel the pain

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:13 - Nov 21 with 1919 viewscontroversial_jack

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:44 - Nov 21 by Gwyn737

The INSET Days are extra.

For a teacher it’s 190 + 5 that are contracted but 190 teaching days 👍

That doesn't sound a lot really
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:14 - Nov 21 with 1926 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I am sure the children would prefer an extra week off in cold wet gloomy October to a week in warm sunny dry July.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:16 - Nov 21 with 1926 viewsGwyn737

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:14 - Nov 21 by felixstowe_jack

I am sure the children would prefer an extra week off in cold wet gloomy October to a week in warm sunny dry July.

Maybe write to your MP?

Wales are consulting but the Tories wrote the option into law in 2013. Blame them.
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:21 - Nov 21 with 1922 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:16 - Nov 21 by Gwyn737

Maybe write to your MP?

Wales are consulting but the Tories wrote the option into law in 2013. Blame them.

This is about Drakeford's Wales not England. Remember he had a consultation about 20mph but chose to ignore everyone's opinion except the ones who agree with his. He had also ignored the oipion of the majority who oppose his Senedd reform, who want investment in new roads like M4 and rural bypasses and investment to welcome tourists.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:30 - Nov 21 with 1909 viewscontroversial_jack

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 12:50 - Nov 21 by onehunglow

My Daughter took her kids out of primary school last sept for a family holiday which i went on too. It was all approved at the time. Now, the teachers have said they were unauthorized absences. The secretary has contradicted the teachers and said they were authorized. However, the school won't give her a print out or screen shot of the data that supports this.

I'm sure that parents have a right to see any data when requested, that's held on their children. We may have to approach the governess or make a foi request. This is so unprofessional of the school and reflect's declining school standards from what i have observed over the last 30 years
Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 15:49 - Nov 21 with 1883 viewsGwyn737

Wales school summer holidays may be cut by a week on 13:21 - Nov 21 by felixstowe_jack

This is about Drakeford's Wales not England. Remember he had a consultation about 20mph but chose to ignore everyone's opinion except the ones who agree with his. He had also ignored the oipion of the majority who oppose his Senedd reform, who want investment in new roads like M4 and rural bypasses and investment to welcome tourists.

It is about school holidays though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024