Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why football set-pieces need urgent reform 12:15 - Apr 2 with 1016 viewsDarran

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/02/breaking-the-law-set-pieces

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:24 - Apr 2 with 997 viewsCatullus

I agree with some of it. The rule about an injured player having to leave the pitch after treatment was meant to stop cheating, but it also punishes the innocent.
I don't really agree with taking a set piece to yourself though.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:38 - Apr 2 with 961 viewsmonmouth

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:24 - Apr 2 by Catullus

I agree with some of it. The rule about an injured player having to leave the pitch after treatment was meant to stop cheating, but it also punishes the innocent.

I do, it would speed up everything. I also like the idea of direct fee kicks in the box when it is clearly not a goalscoring opportunity. That would negate the practiced divers. A penalty is too harsh on many occassions. In that scenario our first play off pen would have been a pen and the second not. So glad the rules were as they are now at the time, but I've always thought that second pen ridiculous in logic if not in law, as Borini was running diagonally away from goal to precisely nowhere.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:43 - Apr 2 with 946 viewsLe_Swans

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:38 - Apr 2 by monmouth

I do, it would speed up everything. I also like the idea of direct fee kicks in the box when it is clearly not a goalscoring opportunity. That would negate the practiced divers. A penalty is too harsh on many occassions. In that scenario our first play off pen would have been a pen and the second not. So glad the rules were as they are now at the time, but I've always thought that second pen ridiculous in logic if not in law, as Borini was running diagonally away from goal to precisely nowhere.

Would they then have to scrap the 10 yard rule for opposing players? Otherwise ever corner / free kick they'd just nudge the ball a little to create the better angle.
Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:45 - Apr 2 with 938 viewscaerleon_jack

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:24 - Apr 2 by Catullus

I dunno, I quite like the idea of a player being able to take a quick free kick to themselves. The problem would come, as it does in rugby, when someone tries to take a quick free kick and the ref brings it back because they weren't ready, or becuase they want to talk the the opposition player. But I think teams like us would relish the opportunity to get the game started quickly without allowing the oppostion to re-set their defence.

What they do need to get rid of is the stupid rule about the ball being made stationary and properly punishing players that do not retreat. So many times we play free kicks backwards or sideways because an oppostion player is stood within 5 yards. The refs rarely ever do anything about it, and it shouldn't be up to us to force the issue by playing the ball against the player.

Insert something witty here

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:49 - Apr 2 with 919 viewsUxbridge

Aye me too on the FK issue. Not only that, it would massively stop the ridiculous posturing whenever the ref gives a decision. Works well in rugby.

The Penalty idea is quite good too. Think the red card rule needs an overhaul as well ... would change that so only given if foul was clearly deliberate. Very harsh to concede a penalty and a red card if the foul was not deliberate, but less sympathy when it was a deliberate act.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:02 - Apr 2 with 882 viewsCatullus

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 12:49 - Apr 2 by Uxbridge

Aye me too on the FK issue. Not only that, it would massively stop the ridiculous posturing whenever the ref gives a decision. Works well in rugby.

The Penalty idea is quite good too. Think the red card rule needs an overhaul as well ... would change that so only given if foul was clearly deliberate. Very harsh to concede a penalty and a red card if the foul was not deliberate, but less sympathy when it was a deliberate act.

I can agree Ux, problem is that ref's don't give clear penalties for deliberate actions right now.
Like Nolan's arm to ball against Sunderland. The ref was right there, he must have seen it, if not surely his assistant did. It was so blatant and just ignored.
If we are going to change rules, the forst thing we have to do is have closer scrutiny of refereeing and also make damn sure refs assistants actually make decisions and that referee's can't ignore them.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:04 - Apr 2 with 875 viewsSkipTheJack

I've been saying this about penalties for years! It's great to see someone else with the same opinion.

There are few things in football more unsatisfying than seeing a team score a goal from a penalty won when there was no serious goal threat. Referees should have the power to award free kicks inside the area to the attacking team if they feel that this is a more appropriate punishment (referees already make similar judgements over red cards for professional fouls). Goals should be earned, not handed out like Christmas presents.
Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:04 - Apr 2 with 873 viewsItchySphincter

They need to sort out what is an offence and what is not first. Modern footballers seem to think hitting the deck if contact is made is their entitlement, it is not not and it is ruining the game. The laws of gravity should apply to footballers. Also, if you obstruct a player in the centre circle as you would when seeing the ball out for a corner it would be an offence, yet when a defender does it to an attacker it is not and why is shirt pulling at a corner rarely given as a foul? In addition to that, goalkeepers are over protected whereas the likes of Wilfred Bony are punished for being strong.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:13 - Apr 2 with 836 viewsjaf69

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:04 - Apr 2 by SkipTheJack

I've been saying this about penalties for years! It's great to see someone else with the same opinion.

There are few things in football more unsatisfying than seeing a team score a goal from a penalty won when there was no serious goal threat. Referees should have the power to award free kicks inside the area to the attacking team if they feel that this is a more appropriate punishment (referees already make similar judgements over red cards for professional fouls). Goals should be earned, not handed out like Christmas presents.

the whole set of laws need to be looked at. in the united game last night welbeck got penalised for a high foot prior to scoring (he hardly swung a boot at it in so doing), but then later on a Bayern defender cleared the ball with an extremely high foot (and he welted it good and proper) when a united player was right behind him, but this resulted in no action, slight inconsistency imo. and what the fvck is a overhead kick if it isn't a high foot? the handball rules are also a joke which I have no idea about anymore.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 13:19]
Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:14 - Apr 2 with 827 viewsJackSomething

Good article. I'm sure I also read something a while back about an aerosol the referee could have that he would spray on the pitch to indicate ten yards from a free kick, eliminating the encroachment we see constantly. It would fade quickly and be gone in about a minute.

No chance that any of these will be introduced anytime soon, football is raking in money and the powers that be aren't going to risk changing anything they don't have to. The TV companies would have to push for changes for there to be any chance.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:15 - Apr 2 with 826 viewsUxbridge

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:02 - Apr 2 by Catullus

I can agree Ux, problem is that ref's don't give clear penalties for deliberate actions right now.
Like Nolan's arm to ball against Sunderland. The ref was right there, he must have seen it, if not surely his assistant did. It was so blatant and just ignored.
If we are going to change rules, the forst thing we have to do is have closer scrutiny of refereeing and also make damn sure refs assistants actually make decisions and that referee's can't ignore them.

Well that's just a bad call even under the current rules. I'd change the handball rule so that it applies to any deliberate handball (which applies now) and any handball where the shot was on goal. The attacking side shouldn't be penalised for the defender stopping a shot with his hand accidentally. Could have sworn this used to be the rule?

I'm a big fan of video technology and think it could make a massive difference if applied more widely. Going to the video ref actually adds to the atmosphere in other sports so I don't buy that argument against it in football. I'd apply something like the cricketing DRS for things like offside, and teams having the ability to go to the video ref twice in a match. As it stands I think the refs have an impossible job even if some are clearly not up to it and others make it difficult for themselves.

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:21 - Apr 2 with 799 viewsCatullus

And some refs do seem to favour some teams. I'd like to see the 4th official given more responsibilty.
Another thing I have considered is not having offsides in the middle third of the pitch.
If the 4th official took the middle third on and offsides were only in the last third, the assistants wouldn't have so much ground to cover and might see a lot more.
And I used to be dead against more video tech being used. But I have come around on that. Mostly because there are so many bad decisions being made.

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:24 - Apr 2 with 793 viewsjaf69

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:15 - Apr 2 by Uxbridge

Well that's just a bad call even under the current rules. I'd change the handball rule so that it applies to any deliberate handball (which applies now) and any handball where the shot was on goal. The attacking side shouldn't be penalised for the defender stopping a shot with his hand accidentally. Could have sworn this used to be the rule?

I'm a big fan of video technology and think it could make a massive difference if applied more widely. Going to the video ref actually adds to the atmosphere in other sports so I don't buy that argument against it in football. I'd apply something like the cricketing DRS for things like offside, and teams having the ability to go to the video ref twice in a match. As it stands I think the refs have an impossible job even if some are clearly not up to it and others make it difficult for themselves.

I too think its about time video technology is allowed, it works fine in every sport its used in. give a limit of 2 or 3 video timeouts per team, if its judged as the referee was correct then the team loses a vid timeout. but if the team called it correct then they keep the timeout. I think it would stamp out a lot of cheating too as teams wouldn't want to lose their timeouts on wrong calls.
Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:26 - Apr 2 with 785 viewsUxbridge

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:21 - Apr 2 by Catullus

And some refs do seem to favour some teams. I'd like to see the 4th official given more responsibilty.
Another thing I have considered is not having offsides in the middle third of the pitch.
If the 4th official took the middle third on and offsides were only in the last third, the assistants wouldn't have so much ground to cover and might see a lot more.
And I used to be dead against more video tech being used. But I have come around on that. Mostly because there are so many bad decisions being made.

I remember that experiment they had where they banned offsides. It caused a whole load of problems, but aye I can't say I'm a fan either. Think offsides is one of those areas where I have a fair bit of sympathy with a linesman ... very difficult task to take into account all the variables. Got a lot of respect for the likes of Sian Massey who never seems to get one wrong.

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:26 - Apr 2 with 785 viewsCatullus

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:24 - Apr 2 by jaf69

I too think its about time video technology is allowed, it works fine in every sport its used in. give a limit of 2 or 3 video timeouts per team, if its judged as the referee was correct then the team loses a vid timeout. but if the team called it correct then they keep the timeout. I think it would stamp out a lot of cheating too as teams wouldn't want to lose their timeouts on wrong calls.

I think a lot of teams would keep their challenges for disallowed goals. And in that respect it would probably work very well.

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 18:43 - Apr 2 with 587 viewsoldcob

Whatever set of rules you play to you"ll still need the referees not to show bias, this doesn't happen in the Premiership. Every week you see decisions made in favour of 'top' clubs to the detriment of smaller clubs.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 18:49]
Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 11:18 - Apr 3 with 436 viewsCatullus

Why football set-pieces need urgent reform on 13:04 - Apr 2 by SkipTheJack

It's a difficult call though. Routledges goal against Norwich for example, he was running diagonally away from goal but pulled off an excellent finish. had he been fouled, under your rules, he might not get a penalty. Again we have to rely on a referee's judgement. And as we keep on seeing, there is a huge inconsistency. Not just from ref to ref, but from a single ref match to match.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024