Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What sort of country are we? 22:22 - Apr 30 with 671 viewslifelong

Considering the way we treat our elderly.

Many having to sell their homes to fund the £600 a week it will cost them for their care for them to be then treated in a disgusting manner as shown on today's news bulletins.

Disgraceful.
What sort of country are we? on 23:30 - Apr 30 with 639 viewsthe_oracle

Like you I was appalled by tonight's panorama on this. It seems to be driven by profit, funds buying out the homes and making millions. They do it by cutting costs, staff , management and so on.

Costs are extreme. I would love to see a breakdown of the cost of caring for one person. Food, heat light, care etc.

We need to go back to a non profit system where the care for the patient came first without the pressure of profits.
What sort of country are we? on 00:10 - May 1 with 610 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

How do we compare to other 'first world' countries in terms of care of the elderly?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

What sort of country are we? on 09:07 - May 1 with 549 viewsBrockley_Jack

I'm sure old peoples homes used to be run by local authorities?
You don't think it's the foreign owned, or foreign staffing of these homes that drives standards down do you?
What sort of country are we? on 09:55 - May 1 with 528 viewspansypants

It's an awful state of affairs. We should be ashamed.

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

What sort of country are we? on 11:52 - May 1 with 503 viewsLeonisGod

What sort of country - the selfish sort. End of. There wouldn't be a need for half as much state and private elderly care if people looked after their own family (myself included).
What sort of country are we? on 19:54 - May 1 with 438 viewsperchrockjack

Agreed totally.we all are responsible for this.we have shat on those who fought for our land for years.this while youngish unite prosper and waste their lives

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

What sort of country are we? on 20:00 - May 1 with 429 viewsexiledclaseboy

My father sadly ended his days in a home. My mother and one of us kids visited twice a day, every day. We had a bad experience with the first one he was in where he was ill and when we left in the evening we asked the staff to keep an eye on him. We went back the following morning and he was still in the same place, his sandwich from the night before untouched and he'd clearly not been looked at in the 12 hours since we left. That led to him spending his last Christmas in hospital. I would have happily done time for some of the staff there that day we found him.

He never went back there after the hospital stay. We found him another place which was brilliant and treated all its residents superbly. I'd recommend it to anyone who has to make the frankly impossible decision to do this. My point I suppose is that like everything else in life there are good and bad in this industry.

Poll: Tory leader

What sort of country are we? on 20:03 - May 1 with 427 viewsperchrockjack

I pray that mine go quickly and without losing their dignity.no person in a home should have anything other than total respect.nice post andrew

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

What sort of country are we? on 21:50 - May 1 with 401 viewsthe_oracle

What sort of country are we? on 11:52 - May 1 by LeonisGod

What sort of country - the selfish sort. End of. There wouldn't be a need for half as much state and private elderly care if people looked after their own family (myself included).

My mother in law has dementia. For the last two years my wife and her dad have looked after her. She became incontinent , took to wandering at night, tried to use the cooker leaving it on, she had falls. My wife works she took on the care when she came home. He father looked after her during the day he is 80 and has just been diagnosed with kidney disease. He no longer had the strength to pick her up, clean up her shit and bather her and was having very little sleep because of her night time wanderings. We had carers who came twice a day.

She has now been taken into care as she needs 24 hour care. my wife and father in law are devastated that they can no longer care for her, they are guilt ridden even though the had done all they could for her, and her care had taken over their lives.

Would you say my wife and her dad are selfish?
What sort of country are we? on 22:09 - May 1 with 395 viewsSandfieldshellsangel

My Dad was 75 when he died He was dignosed with MND a few years ago his health went downhill so fast I watched my mother get ill just looking after him with our help ,god knows what she would have been like without the family .
I was so afraid that he would end up in a home and feel guilty that after he passed away I felt a a bit of relief that he did not end up in one . The decision to do so for some familys must be awful.
Dad died at home with his family and that was a blessing.

:Til I Die,and Beyond. Oi !! It's A Way Of Life.

What sort of country are we? on 03:54 - May 2 with 349 viewsCatullus

What sort of country are we? on 21:50 - May 1 by the_oracle

My mother in law has dementia. For the last two years my wife and her dad have looked after her. She became incontinent , took to wandering at night, tried to use the cooker leaving it on, she had falls. My wife works she took on the care when she came home. He father looked after her during the day he is 80 and has just been diagnosed with kidney disease. He no longer had the strength to pick her up, clean up her shit and bather her and was having very little sleep because of her night time wanderings. We had carers who came twice a day.

She has now been taken into care as she needs 24 hour care. my wife and father in law are devastated that they can no longer care for her, they are guilt ridden even though the had done all they could for her, and her care had taken over their lives.

Absolutely not, they did their best in a truly difficult and heart braking situation.

But there are elderly people who are abandoned by family, if not for friends and charities they would die sad, lonely and broken.

Not everyone can be tarred with the same brush. And some elderly people need the care that a home can provide.
But as a society, too many will happily ship relatives off to a home because it's the easy option.
It won't happen to my dad, not unless it is a medical necessity.

Watching that program, some of those (in the loosest sense of the word) carers should be locked up.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

What sort of country are we? on 14:13 - May 2 with 313 viewsLeonisGod

What sort of country are we? on 21:50 - May 1 by the_oracle

Nope, of course not. There will always be cases where medical requirements are too great for care to be carried out at home. But for every genuine case like yours I could show you several people in nursing homes that don't really need to be there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024