Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. 14:37 - Apr 14 with 4709 viewsNOTRAC

Leighton James said a couple of weeks ago that we are sleepwalking to disaster.Since then we have lost another two games and play Newcastle away next week
Can anyone say with confidence that we'll get a point at Newcastle next week?
As we saw on Saturday teams around us are now winning games and the seriousness of our situation could become critical in a weeks time.
We then have two home games which we should expect to win.But we have only won five home matches all season.
We keep blaming referees and telling ourselves that we are too good to go down, but apart from Norwich we have come nowhere near winning a game since Cardiff.
To my mind we have a goalkeeper crisis and an inexperienced manager who has got no idea how to change a game if the need arises. Too many managers are exposing that inexperience.
The fact that this will go down to the wire makes me feel so critical of our laxness in not appreciating the danger signals in January and subsequent events.
We could end up being relegated as the best team ever to have done so.We could end up being relegated as the only team to make a profit in the same year.
I hope to damn we won't, but I also feel damn mad that it should have come down to this.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 14:51 - Apr 14 with 2687 viewsPegojack

Couldn't disagree with any of that.

And you can add to it some inexplicable decisions behind the scenes, including failure to capitalise on Ki's standing in Sunderland in January, when we could have demanded 'big cash or he's coming back', and our complete failure to strengthen in the same window. N'Gog is now doing the impossible, by making Vasquez look good.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 14:58 - Apr 14 with 2661 viewsMrSwerve

I think too many bought into the whole 'Swanselona' thing. We have a decent XI but we really need to fight for survival now.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 14:59 - Apr 14 with 2659 viewsDrizzy

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 14:58 - Apr 14 by MrSwerve

I think too many bought into the whole 'Swanselona' thing. We have a decent XI but we really need to fight for survival now.

Spot on.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:02 - Apr 14 with 2649 viewsmonmouth

It is frankly mental that we are anywhere near this position. Many factors have conspired including, I think, some degree of complacency throughout the club.

It would need to be the perfect storm for us to go down and now there can clearly be no complacency left. It remains clear though that if we can't get three or four more points from the games left then we will get exactly what we deserve and there can be no whining. Problem is of course, as we saw yesterday, the less games you have left, the more you are playing russian roulette with lady fortune.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:08 - Apr 14 with 2630 viewsperchrockjack

and this kind of talk would have be hammered at the time we were "10th in the premier league and in last 32 in Europe.
Its been a long time coming and now we need somehow to front up ;it should have been done long since and Europe for me not the reason

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:11 - Apr 14 with 2611 viewsQuakerJack

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:02 - Apr 14 by monmouth

It is frankly mental that we are anywhere near this position. Many factors have conspired including, I think, some degree of complacency throughout the club.

It would need to be the perfect storm for us to go down and now there can clearly be no complacency left. It remains clear though that if we can't get three or four more points from the games left then we will get exactly what we deserve and there can be no whining. Problem is of course, as we saw yesterday, the less games you have left, the more you are playing russian roulette with lady fortune.

Most goals in the bottom half, -5 goals when Fulham have -44 but are just 3 pts below. I'd say Leighton is spot on. It'll be the shock of the season if we go down but it'll be entirely our own making.

The board must take the majority of the blame, some unbelievably naive decisions, ameteurish even.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:16 - Apr 14 with 2588 viewsperchrockjack

Bit premature but if worst happens I wont be posting so I ll get it in now.
1. Board should have sacked LAUDRUP at start of season when it became apparent there could be no working relationship between him and Board.
2.LAUDRUP for bringing in flaky players who can be good, look pretty but lack 100% concentration. Also for his languid couldn't give a shuite look on the bench. No matter what some say, it counts.
3PLAYERS for not learning from mistakes and doing basics right at crucial times.
4 FANS for being too concerned with nobbing off from ground early ,getting a pint or a pie and for not being loud enough. Yesterday was as it should have been all season. We re small in prem terms and its us against the rest and we should have had a siege mentality

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:27 - Apr 14 with 2546 viewstomdickharry

There needs to be a big clear out in the summer,Ngog No54 that's 54 players being on the pay roll including those out on loan who's salaries I would wager are being supplemented by the Swans. The chill wind of relegation is blowing and league positions don't lie,it could have been and should have been very different,it has all been said about the Jan window but I will add that the criminal fact that Caulker was available and we let him go to Cardiff with not the mearest of effort to get him was unforgivable,again in January a very good centre back Scott Dan was snapped up by Palace on the last day of the window,been a rock at the heart of their resurgence,okay we know opinions differ about players but the two named had proved beyond any shadow of doubt that they have what it takes in the PL,unlike Emnes and NGog add to that Lita and we have 3 players who I am sure no other PL club would touch with a barge pole and in addition costing us big bucks. Sleepwalking with our eyes open.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:30 - Apr 14 with 2530 viewsApeShit

Can people please use paragraphs.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:14 - Apr 14 with 2410 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:11 - Apr 14 by QuakerJack

Most goals in the bottom half, -5 goals when Fulham have -44 but are just 3 pts below. I'd say Leighton is spot on. It'll be the shock of the season if we go down but it'll be entirely our own making.

The board must take the majority of the blame, some unbelievably naive decisions, ameteurish even.

There is definite blame to be taken by the board, but the majority has to be taken by Laudrup and the players.

The summer recruitment in hindsight was really poor. The likes of Pozuelo, Amat,Vasquez and Canas were very poor acquisitions in what was always going to be a tough season with such a small first team squad, particularly adding to a squad that already lacked physicality and an ability to turn a game. The squad has been left with no real competition in key areas - wings, Centre forward and centre half.

Monk may not be the right person, but that is not his fault, more a fault of the position he finds himself in, caused mainly the previous manager and the board that allowed it.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:19 - Apr 14 with 2393 viewsApeShit

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:14 - Apr 14 by IAN05

There is definite blame to be taken by the board, but the majority has to be taken by Laudrup and the players.

The summer recruitment in hindsight was really poor. The likes of Pozuelo, Amat,Vasquez and Canas were very poor acquisitions in what was always going to be a tough season with such a small first team squad, particularly adding to a squad that already lacked physicality and an ability to turn a game. The squad has been left with no real competition in key areas - wings, Centre forward and centre half.

Monk may not be the right person, but that is not his fault, more a fault of the position he finds himself in, caused mainly the previous manager and the board that allowed it.

If Pozuelo, Amat and Canas are poor acquistions (I'll allow Vasquez) what in the f*ck were Ngog and Emnes?
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:24 - Apr 14 with 2375 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:19 - Apr 14 by ApeShit

If Pozuelo, Amat and Canas are poor acquistions (I'll allow Vasquez) what in the f*ck were Ngog and Emnes?

Very very poor. Most of damage was done by that time though. 99% of business needs to be done in Summer and we got it wrong .
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:27 - Apr 14 with 2367 viewsDr_Winston

Laudrup can take a significant share of the blame.

We needed decent cover for Bony. Instead he chose to go with an out pf position midfielder and Vasquez. We needed better cover out wide. Instead we stuck with Lamah. We needed decent cover at RB. Instead we got Tiendalli. We needed management of the team and the club to be pulling in one direction. Instead his mate tried to take over our transfer department (without his knowledge? Yeah, right!) and drove a wedge between him and the board. The players were clearly lacking in motivation and fitness, and our form over the last calendar year simply hadn't been good enough considering the investment in the squad.

The board are not innocent in this either. Replacing Laudrup was inevitable at some point, but to do it and then replace him with a complete novice to even youth coaching never mind Premier League management, let alone someone considered a "faction leader" was an arrogant, idiotic and completely unnecessary gamble. They've failed to get a grip on an obviously underperforming scouting dept, and mediocrity and a"jobs for the boys" attitude seems to stalk the coaching staff.

Complacency has set in, and arses need to be kicked.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:27 - Apr 14 with 2367 viewsLeonisGod

Crazy innit? Pozuelo and Amat both young, both show they've got something a bit special. Canas an experienced pro adding much-needed depth to the midfield. Amat's been one of the success stories of the season too... After the first couple of games he's looked pretty comfortable and we'd have been stuffed without him.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:28 - Apr 14 with 2365 viewsApeShit

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:24 - Apr 14 by IAN05

Very very poor. Most of damage was done by that time though. 99% of business needs to be done in Summer and we got it wrong .

I disagree, we weren't in a relegation battle before the January transfer window.

There were signs that we needed to strengthen the squad, but instead we had a board member bragging about signing Emnes on Twitter?

How anyone can defend that is beyond me.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 17:08 - Apr 14 with 2295 viewsOdgaard

I dont understand, that people cant recognize, that sacking ML before the Cardiff game was a big mistake. If there were issues between the board and him, then sack him at the start of the season or wait to after the season! we was not in a big relegation threat jet, because we did have a easy schedule ahead. The West Ham game was awfull, but we are not a team, who can go to West ham, and get three easy - not even Chelsea can do that.. And think we can mange FA, Euro + PL and have succes in all three is impossible. especially when we are the smallest club in the PL!

People who think we should have a better, goalkeeper, better Backups, better Second striker, is not aware that those cost money and alot! If you got skills, u wanna get paid! ML did manage to get a 22 people Squad, with qulity and a few without. Canas and Amat is good signings.. Vasquez is not, but we dont have 5m £ pund + salery to offer a second string striker.. And with a Michu in shape, he will do a fabulous striker - but hes season was a total blow due to injury.

The board, did not do there job good this time. A board have to empower the manager, within reason, but i did not once this season see that happening. The board fired ML, without a decent plan, that just stupid - they panicked, because they want to go back to what they know and get the power back to the boardroom.

A board always have to backup the manager 100% until they partways (sack, retire or whatever) but when players get a hunch that the board dos not support the manager totally, then when things dont go the players way, they tends to start trouble..

[Post edited 14 Apr 2014 17:10]
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 17:11 - Apr 14 with 2278 viewsApeShit

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:27 - Apr 14 by Dr_Winston

Laudrup can take a significant share of the blame.

We needed decent cover for Bony. Instead he chose to go with an out pf position midfielder and Vasquez. We needed better cover out wide. Instead we stuck with Lamah. We needed decent cover at RB. Instead we got Tiendalli. We needed management of the team and the club to be pulling in one direction. Instead his mate tried to take over our transfer department (without his knowledge? Yeah, right!) and drove a wedge between him and the board. The players were clearly lacking in motivation and fitness, and our form over the last calendar year simply hadn't been good enough considering the investment in the squad.

The board are not innocent in this either. Replacing Laudrup was inevitable at some point, but to do it and then replace him with a complete novice to even youth coaching never mind Premier League management, let alone someone considered a "faction leader" was an arrogant, idiotic and completely unnecessary gamble. They've failed to get a grip on an obviously underperforming scouting dept, and mediocrity and a"jobs for the boys" attitude seems to stalk the coaching staff.

Complacency has set in, and arses need to be kicked.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I can't argue with any of that.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 17:14 - Apr 14 with 2271 viewsLeonisGod

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 17:08 - Apr 14 by Odgaard

I dont understand, that people cant recognize, that sacking ML before the Cardiff game was a big mistake. If there were issues between the board and him, then sack him at the start of the season or wait to after the season! we was not in a big relegation threat jet, because we did have a easy schedule ahead. The West Ham game was awfull, but we are not a team, who can go to West ham, and get three easy - not even Chelsea can do that.. And think we can mange FA, Euro + PL and have succes in all three is impossible. especially when we are the smallest club in the PL!

People who think we should have a better, goalkeeper, better Backups, better Second striker, is not aware that those cost money and alot! If you got skills, u wanna get paid! ML did manage to get a 22 people Squad, with qulity and a few without. Canas and Amat is good signings.. Vasquez is not, but we dont have 5m £ pund + salery to offer a second string striker.. And with a Michu in shape, he will do a fabulous striker - but hes season was a total blow due to injury.

The board, did not do there job good this time. A board have to empower the manager, within reason, but i did not once this season see that happening. The board fired ML, without a decent plan, that just stupid - they panicked, because they want to go back to what they know and get the power back to the boardroom.

A board always have to backup the manager 100% until they partways (sack, retire or whatever) but when players get a hunch that the board dos not support the manager totally, then when things dont go the players way, they tends to start trouble..

[Post edited 14 Apr 2014 17:10]

Although the suggestion was that it was not about results, which is the main thrust of your 1st paragraph, but more to do with the approach/methods.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:02 - Apr 14 with 2170 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:28 - Apr 14 by ApeShit

I disagree, we weren't in a relegation battle before the January transfer window.

There were signs that we needed to strengthen the squad, but instead we had a board member bragging about signing Emnes on Twitter?

How anyone can defend that is beyond me.

Who's defending anything ? January signings were not great, but we were in huge trouble before that. We just all assumed it would get better when players were fit.Plus we have been in a relegation battle all season, particularly since November when we have been really poor.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:06 - Apr 14 with 2148 viewsDyfnant

On the upside, all the teams we have left are also in terrible form. Keep Bony fit and we'll be fine

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:07 - Apr 14 with 2143 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:06 - Apr 14 by Dyfnant

On the upside, all the teams we have left are also in terrible form. Keep Bony fit and we'll be fine

I dread to imagine him getting injured. Would be as good as down
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:11 - Apr 14 with 2134 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Amat was an excellent signing. The boy has stepped up on numerous occasions this season and has frequently looked better than the two senior centre backs. Considering his youth and the position he plays he is only behind Bony as our buy of the season.
I said to the bloke next to me just before the sending off that it's criminal that this team is in the position they are. We were giving Chelsea more than a difficult time of it as we have many times against top sides for the last year. Then we're poor against lesser teams and it results in us being in our current mess.
I think the club has become lazy from top to bottom. We seem to think we've cracked it and stopped the work ethic that we had for our first season and a half in the Premier League. Whether we stay up or not there are some massive decisions to be taken in the Summer.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:15 - Apr 14 with 2112 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:11 - Apr 14 by Joe_bradshaw

Amat was an excellent signing. The boy has stepped up on numerous occasions this season and has frequently looked better than the two senior centre backs. Considering his youth and the position he plays he is only behind Bony as our buy of the season.
I said to the bloke next to me just before the sending off that it's criminal that this team is in the position they are. We were giving Chelsea more than a difficult time of it as we have many times against top sides for the last year. Then we're poor against lesser teams and it results in us being in our current mess.
I think the club has become lazy from top to bottom. We seem to think we've cracked it and stopped the work ethic that we had for our first season and a half in the Premier League. Whether we stay up or not there are some massive decisions to be taken in the Summer.

Amat has potential no doubt, as does Pozuelo but they were not what we needed this season. When you have such a small 1st team squad that ML insisted on you need real quality back up who can step in when needed. Amat has done Ok for the best part but we should have been looking for someone to challenge Williams and Chico and that hasn't happened.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:19 - Apr 14 with 2102 viewsJackFish

By the time we kicked off against Cardiff we were a point above the relegation zone.

ML had 24 points from 24 games and Monk has 9 from 10.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:20 - Apr 14 with 2102 viewsDyfnant

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:15 - Apr 14 by IAN05

Amat has potential no doubt, as does Pozuelo but they were not what we needed this season. When you have such a small 1st team squad that ML insisted on you need real quality back up who can step in when needed. Amat has done Ok for the best part but we should have been looking for someone to challenge Williams and Chico and that hasn't happened.

Have to disagree on Amat. He's done a fine job when required, often out of his natural position

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024