Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Few Observations About Yesterday 08:34 - Sep 21 with 1137 viewsjacksinceever

1 - With hindsight Wilf was stupid and deserve what he got. He let the team down.
2 - We did well to hold it to half time, but at that point Monk should have changed it, either sacrificing Gylfi or one of the wingers for Gomez at the start of the second half.
3 - Garry's comments were naive yesterday. In the second half we defended well and Fabianski handling was superb. However we had no real attacks or shots in second half and invited them to keep the pressure on us. We weren't as he said the best side for most of the game.
4 - The ref was one of the worst we've had down here in a long time, although he called it right with Wilf.
5 - I think overall Monk has done brilliantly, but IMO he needs an experienced assistant to help with tactical changes when things aren't going so well
6 -Overall I thought the 10 that stayed on the pitch did well yesterday
7 - Southampton's style of football was for the most part very ugly yesterday - more reminiscent of Stoke than the Southampton we expected
A Few Observations About Yesterday on 08:44 - Sep 21 with 1110 viewsshandyjack

I agree, thought Wilf should never if arena first yellow but having been on a yellow the2nd challenge was stupid.
What worried me was Monks view if the 2nd half. His view that they didn't have a shot on goal till they scored baffled me. Felt he left it to long before changing anything, and bringing Emnes in before Gomis was mental. Gomis should if been on ht or around 60th min. We needed someone who could hold the ball up to give our players a breather, take a little pressure off the team. Siggy was pointless in his role 2nd half and was a non entity in terms of playing as the 1,Gomis would of been a focal point for GK's and the long punts up field we were making

Poll: Expectation for the season

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 08:53 - Sep 21 with 1087 viewsMattG

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 08:44 - Sep 21 by shandyjack

I agree, thought Wilf should never if arena first yellow but having been on a yellow the2nd challenge was stupid.
What worried me was Monks view if the 2nd half. His view that they didn't have a shot on goal till they scored baffled me. Felt he left it to long before changing anything, and bringing Emnes in before Gomis was mental. Gomis should if been on ht or around 60th min. We needed someone who could hold the ball up to give our players a breather, take a little pressure off the team. Siggy was pointless in his role 2nd half and was a non entity in terms of playing as the 1,Gomis would of been a focal point for GK's and the long punts up field we were making

I assumed, when Gomis was doing his separate warm-up at half time, that we'd be seeing him pretty early in the second half and was surprised when we didn't as we clearly needed an "out ball" option. The alternative, I thought, might be to put Montero on for Gylfi and switch Routledge into the centre to give us more pace on the break. I wouldn't even have minded him using Emnes as a sort of halfway house between the two but it did seem a bit strange to do nothing.

It also seemed a bit odd to see Fabianski sending so many goal kicks long towards either Dyer or Montero, after he came on - neither of them are what you would call an aerial colossus and, as a result, the ball just kept coming straight back. I assume the logic was to make Southampton attack us from deep but, with the speed the ball was coming back at us, it would probably have killed just as much time playing the ball out from the back.
A Few Observations About Yesterday on 09:27 - Sep 21 with 1003 viewsWarwickHunt

It was blatantly obvious we needed to change five minutes into the second half. We invited the goal.
Doubt if we had 30% possession the second half.

Wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when Emnes came on.
A Few Observations About Yesterday on 09:58 - Sep 21 with 932 viewsJoe_bradshaw

There was little point bringing Montero on without a forward who could hold it up and bring him into the game. As a result he was anonymous and when he did get it he was surrounded with little support.

Gomis and Montero at the hour mark would have made sense to me.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 10:09 - Sep 21 with 895 viewsLeonisGod

Most of our creative play and goals this season has come through siggy and our wingers, so the way we were set up and bringing on two quick players was entirely logical. As was keeping siggy on after half time. I thought it was bleeding obvious that we were set to try and hit them on the break. But maybe i was watching a different game?
A Few Observations About Yesterday on 10:10 - Sep 21 with 892 viewsC_jack

"Gylfi, I want you to play off the striker second half"

"Who's the striker, boss?"

"You"

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 12:21 - Sep 21 with 722 viewsChief

totally agree. the team did perform brilliantly and we would have won comfortably if Bony had stayed on. on his sending off, Bony was silly, if you,re going in for a tackle from behind while on a yellow right in front of the ref, you have to be spot on. he wasn't. having said that, it wasn't dangerous or malicious, the ref could easily have given Bony a ticking off and said this is your last chance (especially considering how soft his 1st yellow was). if the refs going to be strict and unleniant, he has to do it to both sides, Southampton, taking the refs take on the game, should have had 2 sent off.
the decision to bring on an unfit Emnes ahead of Gomis was baffling

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 15:04 - Sep 21 with 632 viewsjacksinceever

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 10:09 - Sep 21 by LeonisGod

Most of our creative play and goals this season has come through siggy and our wingers, so the way we were set up and bringing on two quick players was entirely logical. As was keeping siggy on after half time. I thought it was bleeding obvious that we were set to try and hit them on the break. But maybe i was watching a different game?

But after things went pear-shaped with bony's sending off we can't just play the way we are set up - ie to play off the lone striker as he wasn't there. So maybe you were watching a different game.
The way Fabianski was booting the ball long, i thing he thought Bony was still on as well.
Login to get fewer ads

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 15:32 - Sep 21 with 600 viewsVetchitBack

I'm surprised someone that has played under Martinez has so little understanding of the concept of attack being the best form of defence and the psychosological effect of conceding the game and just waiting for them to score.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 15:45 - Sep 21 with 579 viewsmonmouth

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 15:32 - Sep 21 by VetchitBack

I'm surprised someone that has played under Martinez has so little understanding of the concept of attack being the best form of defence and the psychosological effect of conceding the game and just waiting for them to score.

Martinez approach did wonders for wigwam. If we'd attacked them and allowed them to play on the counter they would have scored 3 or 4, as they could have done after they scored, and we did exactly that.

We could certainly have moved up a couple of yards and shown more intent though. We were over obsessed with keeping it tight no matter what and that gave them an easy tactical decision and set the shape of the game in concrete, which, with our available pace, did us no favours.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 15:55 - Sep 21 with 565 viewsVetchitBack

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 15:45 - Sep 21 by monmouth

Martinez approach did wonders for wigwam. If we'd attacked them and allowed them to play on the counter they would have scored 3 or 4, as they could have done after they scored, and we did exactly that.

We could certainly have moved up a couple of yards and shown more intent though. We were over obsessed with keeping it tight no matter what and that gave them an easy tactical decision and set the shape of the game in concrete, which, with our available pace, did us no favours.

I don't mean throw caution to the wind and jump to the other extreme but a possession-based attacking game though difficult would have been logical in my opinion.

Our defence simply isn't good enough to play like we did anyway.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 16:17 - Sep 21 with 524 viewsmonmouth

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 15:55 - Sep 21 by VetchitBack

I don't mean throw caution to the wind and jump to the other extreme but a possession-based attacking game though difficult would have been logical in my opinion.

Our defence simply isn't good enough to play like we did anyway.

Aye for sure, when we look to just defend we need a massive dollop of luck to hold out. We rarely get away with it. Everton away under Laudrup, Newcastle away under Rodgers and Burnley home are the only ones I can remember. There must be more but we definitely seem to always concede one.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 16:24 - Sep 21 with 515 viewsJoe_bradshaw

To be fair to Fab whenever he had the ball our defence and midfield took a breather and didn't look for space. Southampton also closed off the obvious outlets and Fab had little option but to go long.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

A Few Observations About Yesterday on 16:31 - Sep 21 with 497 viewsmagicdaps10

Second half we should have brought on Bartley and Gomis and played the foolowing

FABIANSKI

FERNANDEZ-ASH-BARTLEY

DYER-KI-SHELVEY-RANGEL

SIGGY

GOMIS

3-5-1................Im not saying it would have worked infact it could have ended up being worse than 1-0 but atleast that formation gives us defensive protection and an outlet to attack from and a central target up top to aim for.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024