Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Prince2 courses 19:49 - Feb 10 with 2882 viewsSwanzay

Anyone been on one? I'm considering doing both the foundation and practitioner soon locally here in Bristol.
For those that have done it, did you find it beneficial and help your career path?

Ta
Prince2 courses on 19:57 - Feb 10 with 2870 viewsexiledclaseboy

Prince is so passe. Agile methodology is where it's at these days so I'm told. It's a whole new way of f*cking things up really badly and apparently you can f*ck things up really badly cheaper than you can with Prince.

Poll: Tory leader

Prince2 courses on 20:03 - Feb 10 with 2859 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Some organisations continue to ask for it, there are some less expensive distance learning options these days.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Prince2 courses on 21:05 - Feb 10 with 2815 viewsLeonisGod

Going down the APM route is another (poss better) option if you have PM experience already. Worth checking out before you decide.
Prince2 courses on 21:09 - Feb 10 with 2814 viewsSwanzay

Thanks for the feedback thus far gents, had a look at the agile agile alternative, but I don't have £1800 disposable cash atm at the moment, as this would be self funding.
Prince2 courses on 18:02 - Feb 12 with 2727 viewsjandyt

Prince gives you some great basics. It isn't incompatible with Agile and I use elements of both on a daily basis but don't think that Prince gives you everything either. The training does (or at least should) tell you that you pick the bits you need for your own organisation or needs. The agile principles allow you to speed up the process and deliver faster.

Using Agile doesn't mean you can ignore things like Risk or Planning. If you do, you'll wind up with problems.

Proudly plastic since 1978! www.pbase.com/andrew_thomas

Prince2 courses on 18:44 - Feb 12 with 2704 viewsjackolantern

Together with ITIL the two most painfully useless training courses for practical implementations.

Still all the Dilberts seem to love them but very inflexible and overly dogmatic in the real world.

Looks good on a CV but complete toss.

Do it, if it's all that's on offer. You'll be brain dead for several days after mind.
Prince2 courses on 18:48 - Feb 12 with 2702 viewsSwanzay

Prince2 courses on 18:44 - Feb 12 by jackolantern

Together with ITIL the two most painfully useless training courses for practical implementations.

Still all the Dilberts seem to love them but very inflexible and overly dogmatic in the real world.

Looks good on a CV but complete toss.

Do it, if it's all that's on offer. You'll be brain dead for several days after mind.

As I said this is self funding, so what would you suggest as an alternative?
Prince2 courses on 18:59 - Feb 12 with 2693 viewsSwanzay

Prince2 courses on 18:02 - Feb 12 by jandyt

Prince gives you some great basics. It isn't incompatible with Agile and I use elements of both on a daily basis but don't think that Prince gives you everything either. The training does (or at least should) tell you that you pick the bits you need for your own organisation or needs. The agile principles allow you to speed up the process and deliver faster.

Using Agile doesn't mean you can ignore things like Risk or Planning. If you do, you'll wind up with problems.

Thanks for the info, they did suggest that most do Prince then progress to the Agile after, but thats just a sales pitch to me and atm I don't have £1800 cash down the side of the sofa.
Have I have done Internal Project Management courses in previous roles, but it hasn't been part of my role in recent years (a bit left field).
Im looking for a qualification that is a quick gain, as in can be done over a short time frame.
It seems that when I have chatted to prospective recruitment consultants the feedback has been that even though I have good experience, I dont have any credentials to back up.
Hence my game plan.
Login to get fewer ads

Prince2 courses on 20:13 - Feb 12 with 2663 viewsgyrjack

Did a NEBOSH course last year, no jobs cos you need experience too. interesting, but pointless. Dont know if thats related to your situation?
Prince2 courses on 20:27 - Feb 12 with 2655 viewsjandyt

Prince2 courses on 18:59 - Feb 12 by Swanzay

Thanks for the info, they did suggest that most do Prince then progress to the Agile after, but thats just a sales pitch to me and atm I don't have £1800 cash down the side of the sofa.
Have I have done Internal Project Management courses in previous roles, but it hasn't been part of my role in recent years (a bit left field).
Im looking for a qualification that is a quick gain, as in can be done over a short time frame.
It seems that when I have chatted to prospective recruitment consultants the feedback has been that even though I have good experience, I dont have any credentials to back up.
Hence my game plan.

£1800 is an awful lot just to take a punt on. Your problem is that a lot of people think that Prince2 qualification means you can manage projects. It doesn't and unless you have the experience to back it up, it's nothing more than window dressing.

I've been a Prince 2 practitioner for about 12 years but it doesn't mean I can manage a project better than many other PMs with no qualification. Employers who understand projects know that the qualification is an enhancement rather than a sound basis to employ.

I don't mean to sound negative but if my employer hadn't funded the training, I suspect I wouldn't have done it. Almost 2k is a big gamble if you don't have the other skills and experience as a basis.

Proudly plastic since 1978! www.pbase.com/andrew_thomas

Prince2 courses on 16:06 - Mar 26 with 2516 viewsScrum_Leo

"For those that have done it, did you find it beneficial and help your career path? "

Hello Swanzay,

Being certified is always more an asset than a liability.

Some people may say that "Prince2" is past story and the future is "Agile". But i would love to see these people trying to build a Hospital in an Agile way. You just can´t build a Hospital by increments, you need almost everything planned before start building it.

This is the reason because having a Prince2 certification is not a bad idea, because not every project can be taken in an Agile way. But Prince2 can be more Agile than people think.

If you want to get certified on Prince2 or Agile I would like to recommend this FREE Books:

Here you´ll find almost everything you need to know about Prince2
http://mplaza.pm/product/prince2-foundation-training-manual/

Here you´ll find almost everything you need to know about Agile/Scrum
http://mplaza.pm/product/scrum-master-training-manual/

Those books helped me a lot and I hope they can help you too.

Regards
Leonardo
Prince2 courses on 11:41 - Mar 27 with 2445 viewsBrynmill_Jack

"Take me with you"

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Prince2 courses on 12:02 - Mar 27 with 2437 viewsmattjenkins1990

Prince2 courses on 19:57 - Feb 10 by exiledclaseboy

Prince is so passe. Agile methodology is where it's at these days so I'm told. It's a whole new way of f*cking things up really badly and apparently you can f*ck things up really badly cheaper than you can with Prince.

Just done the istqb agile two weeks ago, good to hear it is the new thing ha

Poll: Would you welcome Investment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024