Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? 15:52 - Jan 23 with 2913 viewsattila_the_hun

are there any decent poets from Swansea other than Dylan Thomas? and apart from 'Do Not Go Gentle' is he really as legendary as hes made out to be?

"I'm Free"

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 16:15 - Jan 23 with 2899 viewsLord_Bony

The Stoned Roller...Like this guys work on sound cloud.

Also known on here as...shh you know who....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 16:53 - Jan 23 with 2860 viewsattila_the_hun

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 16:15 - Jan 23 by Lord_Bony

The Stoned Roller...Like this guys work on sound cloud.

Also known on here as...shh you know who....

enjoyed

but is he as good as .....

"I'm Free"

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 16:56 - Jan 23 with 2851 viewsdailew

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 18:34 - Jan 23 with 2792 viewsAnotherJohn

Thomas's pal Vernon Watkins, another of the Kardomah boys.
Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 19:12 - Jan 23 with 2763 viewsskippyjack

I don't really consider a drunken, cocaine snorting, dyslexic inebriate a 'poet' myself.

But the world has clearly gone insane anyway..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 19:15 - Jan 23 with 2759 viewsswansRus

Nigel Jenkins in modern era - died very suddenly a couple of years ago

lectured in swansea Uni - liked his real ale - wrote Real Swansea about undiscovered parts of the city

http://www.nigeljenkins.com/publications/poetry001.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/18/nigel-jenkins-obituary

his most memorable one was about a drunken trip around the city
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 19:17]
Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 19:15 - Jan 23 with 2757 viewsMuteswan

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 19:12 - Jan 23 by skippyjack

I don't really consider a drunken, cocaine snorting, dyslexic inebriate a 'poet' myself.

But the world has clearly gone insane anyway..

We've got a few of those posting on here !
Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 19:53 - Jan 23 with 2714 viewsLeonWasGod

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 16:53 - Jan 23 by attila_the_hun

enjoyed

but is he as good as .....

At the risk of having the p1ss taken, that a wind up or real?
Login to get fewer ads

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 20:41 - Jan 23 with 2680 viewsHighjack

That westwiltsjack is an amazing poet.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 22:55 - Jan 23 with 2627 viewsattila_the_hun

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 19:53 - Jan 23 by LeonWasGod

At the risk of having the p1ss taken, that a wind up or real?

Real and funded by University of Wales Trinity Saint David

"I'm Free"

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 22:58 - Jan 23 with 2619 viewsLord_Bony

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 22:55 - Jan 23 by attila_the_hun

Real and funded by University of Wales Trinity Saint David

Apparently she had a grant of over £5,000 for that...marvellous !

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 23:37 - Jan 23 with 2597 viewsWarwickHunt

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 22:58 - Jan 23 by Lord_Bony

Apparently she had a grant of over £5,000 for that...marvellous !

£5 for a rhyming dictionary and £4,995 to spend on fun stuff.

Hardly Sylvia Fûcking Plath was it?
Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 01:57 - Jan 24 with 2555 viewsLord_Bony

Indeed not.

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 11:30 - Jan 24 with 2485 viewsGreatBritton

People should check out "Swansea Poems" or "Mangoes on the Moon", both by Swansea poet Lloyd Rees
Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 12:33 - Jan 25 with 2404 viewsattila_the_hun

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 23:37 - Jan 23 by WarwickHunt

£5 for a rhyming dictionary and £4,995 to spend on fun stuff.

Hardly Sylvia Fûcking Plath was it?

are bras that expensive?

"I'm Free"

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 12:55 - Jan 25 with 2388 viewsWantagejack

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 18:34 - Jan 23 by AnotherJohn

Thomas's pal Vernon Watkins, another of the Kardomah boys.

Yes, Dylan looked up to Vernon Watkins, who lived on West cliff, Pennard. He described him as "the most profound and greatly accomplished Welshman writing poems in English".My great aunt lived on East cliff and knew his wife Gwen and I remember visiting them when I was about 8. He had worked at Lloyds Bank, St Helen's Road, opposite the Westbourne (now a bookie, but there's a plaque to him). There was a story about him going home once and leaving the bank unlocked. Also knew Nigel Jenkins - was at school with him and his brother, and also with two of Vernon Watkins's sons, Dylan and Tristram.
Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 13:42 - Jan 25 with 2378 viewsattila_the_hun

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 12:55 - Jan 25 by Wantagejack

Yes, Dylan looked up to Vernon Watkins, who lived on West cliff, Pennard. He described him as "the most profound and greatly accomplished Welshman writing poems in English".My great aunt lived on East cliff and knew his wife Gwen and I remember visiting them when I was about 8. He had worked at Lloyds Bank, St Helen's Road, opposite the Westbourne (now a bookie, but there's a plaque to him). There was a story about him going home once and leaving the bank unlocked. Also knew Nigel Jenkins - was at school with him and his brother, and also with two of Vernon Watkins's sons, Dylan and Tristram.

that type of poetry always seems like its only meant for certain people, as if they wouldn't want the working class to read it

"I'm Free"

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 14:45 - Feb 20 with 2226 viewsattila_the_hun

saw this mentioned by Kev Johns on twitter http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/poet-s-debut-book-tops-amazon-chart/stor
a writer from Townhill?! that place has changed since I last ran through there

"I'm Free"

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 07:57 - Feb 21 with 2161 viewssquarebear

Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 19:15 - Jan 23 by swansRus

Nigel Jenkins in modern era - died very suddenly a couple of years ago

lectured in swansea Uni - liked his real ale - wrote Real Swansea about undiscovered parts of the city

http://www.nigeljenkins.com/publications/poetry001.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/18/nigel-jenkins-obituary

his most memorable one was about a drunken trip around the city
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 19:17]

From the obituary you linked to..

His English language version of the Welsh national anthem.

"My hen laid a haddock, one hand oiled a flea
Glad farts and centurions, threw dogs in the sea
I could stew a hare here and brandish Dan's flan
Don's ruddy bog's blocked up with sand

Chorus

Dad! Dad! Why don't you oil Auntie Glad?
Can whores appear in beer bottle pies
O butter the hens as they fly!"
Does Swansea have any poets other than Dylan Thomas? on 06:33 - Feb 22 with 2083 viewsattila_the_hun

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/new-book-sheds-light-on-swansea-valley-p

"I'm Free"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024