Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Llandarcy murders 00:03 - May 11 with 2270 viewsbritferry

Back in 1973, we were going to visit my grandparents on a Sunday. We went down Fabian Way, came off and went thru Jersey Marine and as we turned the long straight towards BP Llandarcy sports ground we could see what looked like a mass of black figures ahead of us, we had to slow down, when we got to my grandparents we then found out there was a double murder of 2 young girls. Back then, we didnt have 24 hour rolling news or even telly in the morning plus my dads car didnt have a radio, so we didn't have a clue when we passed.

I still remember the scene and the subsequent press reports vividly.

So I will be watching this new series called Steeltown Murders starting on BBC1 at 9pm on Monday

they never caught the b@$t@rd either
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kappen

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Llandarcy murders on 08:43 - May 11 with 2188 viewsraynor94

Remember it well as a 16 year old, shocking time, people didn't think twice about hitching a lift in those days

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Llandarcy murders on 09:57 - May 11 with 2156 viewscontroversial_jack

I was in the same class as Geraldine and Pauline. A few months prior to this, one of our teachers took the girls out in front of the class, and gave them a dressing down. She told them she had seen them hitching lifts, and explained how dangerous this could be for young girls. Sadly, she was correct in this case.
Llandarcy murders on 21:12 - May 17 with 1862 viewsbritferry

Well I watched the 4 episodes on the BBC iPlayer, it was Ok but a little drawn out for my liking.

They did the front of the Odeon / Top Rank pretty good, I notice the didn't show Tesco there but I'm not sure if it was there in 1973.

A couple of scenes were filmed in the Kardomah too.

While I was on iPlayer, I noticed there was a documentary on there called Steeltown murders also, lasted an hour, used clips from the series and spoke with the real detectives, which I thought was much better, so save yourself 3 hours and just watch the documentary.

Llandarcy murders on 21:23 - May 17 with 1839 viewsonehunglow

Llandarcy murders on 21:12 - May 17 by britferry

Well I watched the 4 episodes on the BBC iPlayer, it was Ok but a little drawn out for my liking.

They did the front of the Odeon / Top Rank pretty good, I notice the didn't show Tesco there but I'm not sure if it was there in 1973.

A couple of scenes were filmed in the Kardomah too.

While I was on iPlayer, I noticed there was a documentary on there called Steeltown murders also, lasted an hour, used clips from the series and spoke with the real detectives, which I thought was much better, so save yourself 3 hours and just watch the documentary.

It was .
I worked there until getting my own store in 1971
I was a regular down the Rank and it caused much uncertainty and concern amongst the females

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Llandarcy murders on 21:59 - May 17 with 1829 viewscontroversial_jack

Llandarcy murders on 21:23 - May 17 by onehunglow

It was .
I worked there until getting my own store in 1971
I was a regular down the Rank and it caused much uncertainty and concern amongst the females

I found it quite surreal and quite unsettling to see those 2 lovely girls I knew portrayed on TV as victims of that monster.When the parents broke down when they were told Kappen did it , it was game over for me, Great acting though. Nobody can do it as well as the Welsh.
Llandarcy murders on 08:31 - May 18 with 1742 viewsonehunglow

Llandarcy murders on 21:59 - May 17 by controversial_jack

I found it quite surreal and quite unsettling to see those 2 lovely girls I knew portrayed on TV as victims of that monster.When the parents broke down when they were told Kappen did it , it was game over for me, Great acting though. Nobody can do it as well as the Welsh.

It certainly took me back 50 yrs very quickly

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Llandarcy murders on 17:48 - Jun 2 with 1464 views1983

Watched both the series & documentary and enjoyed it, I grew up not a million miles away from there and got family in LLandarcy village my Dad worked in BP LLandarcy and said the SWP were in and out of there for months and they were convinced the killer was a contractor working in there. Can't help but think the SWP dropped the ball when they knew of Kappan and just took his word for it about his car and his missus saying he was in watching tele....?? Lazy coppering

Llandarcy murders on 17:57 - Jun 2 with 1458 viewsbritferry

Llandarcy murders on 17:48 - Jun 2 by 1983

Watched both the series & documentary and enjoyed it, I grew up not a million miles away from there and got family in LLandarcy village my Dad worked in BP LLandarcy and said the SWP were in and out of there for months and they were convinced the killer was a contractor working in there. Can't help but think the SWP dropped the ball when they knew of Kappan and just took his word for it about his car and his missus saying he was in watching tele....?? Lazy coppering

Oh I don't know, his only connection was his car, they interviewed 1000s of 1100 car owners and pre-computers, they couldn't connect the ticket he got to the lies.

Login to get fewer ads

Llandarcy murders on 18:14 - Jun 2 with 1445 views1983

Llandarcy murders on 17:57 - Jun 2 by britferry

Oh I don't know, his only connection was his car, they interviewed 1000s of 1100 car owners and pre-computers, they couldn't connect the ticket he got to the lies.

Really??

Over 30 convictions, a local bully in and out of prison

Kappen was known to regularly pursue local teenage girls during the marriage, with his job as a bouncer giving him an opportunity to interact with them.[5] When working as a bus driver he was known to use his rest breaks to approach teenage girls on the village green at Llandarcy.[5] In 1964 Kappen attempted to force himself on a 15-year-old schoolgirl in his Sandfields housing estate, but she escaped.[

Llandarcy murders on 19:47 - Jun 2 with 1407 viewsTogg

Llandarcy murders on 18:14 - Jun 2 by 1983

Really??

Over 30 convictions, a local bully in and out of prison

Kappen was known to regularly pursue local teenage girls during the marriage, with his job as a bouncer giving him an opportunity to interact with them.[5] When working as a bus driver he was known to use his rest breaks to approach teenage girls on the village green at Llandarcy.[5] In 1964 Kappen attempted to force himself on a 15-year-old schoolgirl in his Sandfields housing estate, but she escaped.[

Changing the subject a little. Sutcliffe was interviewed 9 times by the police and nicknamed the Ripper by his work mates. In my opinion should have been caught earlier
Llandarcy murders on 20:08 - Jun 2 with 1389 viewscontroversial_jack

Llandarcy murders on 17:48 - Jun 2 by 1983

I can’t be certain, but I heard Fred West was working as a contractor in the refinery at that time.
Llandarcy murders on 10:34 - Jun 3 with 1324 views1983

Llandarcy murders on 19:47 - Jun 2 by Togg

Changing the subject a little. Sutcliffe was interviewed 9 times by the police and nicknamed the Ripper by his work mates. In my opinion should have been caught earlier

Yeah like you say changing the subject but Sutcliffe killings were spread out over Manchester, Leeds ,Bradford....etc and over a number of years, Neath & Port Talbot are tiny in comparison and not to link the Sandra's murder a couple of months earlier was ridiculous instead of trying to pin it on the married fella who couldn't even drive or had a car when Sandra's body was found miles away from Briton Ferry.

Llandarcy murders on 19:19 - Jun 3 with 1234 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Llandarcy murders on 20:08 - Jun 2 by controversial_jack

I can’t be certain, but I heard Fred West was working as a contractor in the refinery at that time.

Not sure if he worked there but he did briefly live in a flat in Crythan Road in the Melyn in Neath. He was linked at one time to the murders but then advances in DNA ruled him out.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 19:20]

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Llandarcy murders on 19:22 - Jun 3 with 1227 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Llandarcy murders on 19:47 - Jun 2 by Togg

He probably should have but the police put too much importance on that hoax tape that was sent in and was looking for someone with a Sunderland accent.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024