Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin on Swansea 12:39 - Jul 4 with 2815 viewsKeithHaynes

"The coaching staff, my family and myself, in terms of the place and the people it was fantastic."

He added: "So for something to come along and make us leave, it had to be right."

Martin, who guided Swansea to 10th in the Championship in 2022-23, signed a three-year deal at St Mary's until 2026.

Four former Swans, including assistant manager Matt Gill, have joined him to make up the backroom staff.

"I'm a big believer in trusting my instincts and intuition on people and opportunities and it has served me right so far," Martin said.

"After all the conversations I had with the club, thinking about the playing squad that is already here, the facility, all of the club's history and traditions, it was all just really exciting.

"When we sat down as a coaching staff and put it all together we felt like coming here to Southampton was too good an opportunity to turn down."

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Russell Martin on Swansea on 12:46 - Jul 4 with 2462 viewsnantywatcher

I would have changed the word 'guided' to 'fumbled.'
Russell Martin on Swansea on 13:54 - Jul 4 with 2260 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin on Swansea on 12:46 - Jul 4 by nantywatcher

I would have changed the word 'guided' to 'fumbled.'

I’m a great believer in my instincts too

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Russell Martin on Swansea on 13:56 - Jul 4 with 2248 viewsBoundy

Russell Martin on Swansea on 13:54 - Jul 4 by onehunglow

I’m a great believer in my instincts too

Fair play you stood your ground

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Russell Martin on Swansea on 15:06 - Jul 4 with 2111 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin on Swansea on 13:56 - Jul 4 by Boundy

You can be in a minority of one and still be right .
The man turns my stomach and did from the first month.
It is entirely possible the Soton fans will see through him much quicker .

I look around and see good people,long term fans taken in ,regretting it but looking to save face on forums. Well,don’t .
We love this club ,wherever we live in the world and it is bigger than any fan,forum or website .
It ,for me represents my early years on this earth ,my dad when he was religion free and my maternal nutcase granddad and no feker is going to tell me I am no fan because I complain,winge or diss.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 17:07 - Jul 4 with 1974 viewsSullutaCreturned

Russell Martin on Swansea on 13:56 - Jul 4 by Boundy

And I would say he was proved right.

it took me a lot longer to turn against Martin but when I did, even that 9 game run at the end wasn't enough. I'm glad he's gone.

Onwards and upwards.

AND, yes, would really enjoy it if we finish well above the "Saints"
Russell Martin on Swansea on 17:26 - Jul 4 with 1947 viewsKilkennyjack

Russell Martin on Swansea on 15:06 - Jul 4 by onehunglow

I look around and see good people,long term fans taken in ,regretting it but looking to save face on forums. Well,don’t .
We love this club ,wherever we live in the world and it is bigger than any fan,forum or website .
It ,for me represents my early years on this earth ,my dad when he was religion free and my maternal nutcase granddad and no feker is going to tell me I am no fan because I complain,winge or diss.

In fairness RM delivered the double ‘doube’, so thats something.
And when we got it right it was a joy to watch us play.

RM was arrogant and it was all about him - and the many cheap goals we gave away was hard to watch if you wanted us to win.

Hopefully the new man can improve us.

Beware of the Risen People

Russell Martin on Swansea on 19:15 - Jul 4 with 1796 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin on Swansea on 15:06 - Jul 4 by onehunglow

The people who write for this website were never taken in.

Never regret anything if it’s done in good faith, and never ever cover up your feelings ever.

Russell Martin delivered the best football I’ve seen since we were relegated.

If anyone couldn’t get excited about the Swans when it ticked for him they are no football fan.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 19:32 - Jul 4 with 1748 viewslifelong

Russell Martin on Swansea on 19:15 - Jul 4 by KeithHaynes

Never regret anything if it’s done in good faith, and never ever cover up your feelings ever.

If anyone couldn’t get excited about the Swans when it ticked for him they are no football fan.

I agree.

Already stated that I would have liked him to have had a third season and I stand by that.
Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin on Swansea on 19:39 - Jul 4 with 1711 viewsonehunglow

I didn't say they were nor did I infer so Keith
You rated him
I didn't
Quel domage

Russell Martin on Swansea on 19:53 - Jul 4 with 1689 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin on Swansea on 19:39 - Jul 4 by onehunglow

I didn't say they were nor did I infer so Keith
You rated him
I didn't
Quel domage

I did and do, but like many I hope he messes up at Southampton.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:09 - Jul 4 with 1639 viewsSullutaCreturned

Shame he only delivered that football in small patches because most of his time here was boring.

Trust the process eh.
Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:11 - Jul 4 with 1637 viewsbuilthjack

Spot on Keith. A third season would, in my opinion, have seen us easily in the play offs.
Some can’t, or don’t want to, see it.
But he has gone now. Let’s hope Duff can produce. I hope so, or he will have hell on here off the gang.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:13 - Jul 4 with 1634 viewsDr_Winston

The best football we played under Martin almost always coincided with the most we strayed from his formula.

Had he been capable of accepting that then last season would have been a lot more fun and a lot more people would be mourning his departure instead of hoping it all goes tits up for him on the South Coast.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:28 - Jul 4 with 1601 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:13 - Jul 4 by Dr_Winston

The best football we played under Martin almost always coincided with the most we strayed from his formula.

Had he been capable of accepting that then last season would have been a lot more fun and a lot more people would be mourning his departure instead of hoping it all goes tits up for him on the South Coast.

It must have been his formula because that’s the way we played.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:36 - Jul 4 with 1564 viewsDr_Winston

Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:28 - Jul 4 by KeithHaynes

It must have been his formula because that’s the way we played.

His formula was three at the back, heavy emphasis on possession and building things from the back, slowly and riskily if necessary. "You have to be brave to play the way we do" was one of his regular comments, usually after a mistake resulting from an idiotic short pass had cost us points.

The more we played that way the worse results were. The more we played with a solid defensive line, didn't f*ck about with it at the back and were not bothered if we had less than 65% of the ball the better results were.

Martin's "process" saw us fifteenth in his first season and would have resulted in an even worse finish in his second if he hadn't abandoned huge chunks of it with three months to go.

Basically all that remained was not kicking it long.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2023 20:37]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 08:49 - Jul 5 with 1274 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:11 - Jul 4 by builthjack

Spot on Keith. A third season would, in my opinion, have seen us easily in the play offs.
But he has gone now. Let’s hope Duff can produce. I hope so, or he will have hell on here off the gang.

In your opinion
Same applies to all

Russell Martin on Swansea on 08:56 - Jul 5 with 1257 viewsWhiterockin

It will be interesting to see how this season goes for him at Southampton, TBH I'm not fussed either way as long as they finish below us. That also goes for every team in the league.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Russell Martin on Swansea on 12:13 - Jul 5 with 1133 viewsDoubeDoube

poor tactics and turned up at the end of the season when it was too late. should have been playoffs could have been automatic. Fannying about at back and tippy tappy meaningless possession football. Glad he has gone tbf
Russell Martin on Swansea on 06:49 - Jul 6 with 916 viewsItchySphincter

If he couldn't achieve anything in two seasons why on earth would you think that he could suddenly deliver in the third?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 06:52 - Jul 6 with 912 viewsItchySphincter

Russell Martin on Swansea on 20:36 - Jul 4 by Dr_Winston

His formula was three at the back, heavy emphasis on possession and building things from the back, slowly and riskily if necessary. "You have to be brave to play the way we do" was one of his regular comments, usually after a mistake resulting from an idiotic short pass had cost us points.

The more we played that way the worse results were. The more we played with a solid defensive line, didn't f*ck about with it at the back and were not bothered if we had less than 65% of the ball the better results were.

Martin's "process" saw us fifteenth in his first season and would have resulted in an even worse finish in his second if he hadn't abandoned huge chunks of it with three months to go.

Basically all that remained was not kicking it long.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2023 20:37]

I struggle to see why others can't see this.

Good results generally came in spite of Russell Martin.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 07:19 - Jul 6 with 895 viewsDr_Winston

Russell Martin on Swansea on 06:49 - Jul 6 by ItchySphincter

If he couldn't achieve anything in two seasons why on earth would you think that he could suddenly deliver in the third?

It's not even about achievement. It's also about the total absence of any kind of sense or impression that what he was trying to do was working, was on the verge of working or would ever work at all.

Russell Martin on Swansea on 08:33 - Jul 6 with 800 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin on Swansea on 06:49 - Jul 6 by ItchySphincter

…which of course is and always has been my point .
It’s criminal really we still discuss him . He was an employee briefly passing through our club,one which he stated he would make “ proper”
He won nothing, developed nobody and ruined careers .
And some wanted to keep him

Please God,roll on this season

Russell Martin on Swansea on 08:39 - Jul 6 with 803 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin on Swansea on 08:33 - Jul 6 by onehunglow

…which of course is and always has been my point .
It’s criminal really we still discuss him . He was an employee briefly passing through our club,one which he stated he would make “ proper”
He won nothing, developed nobody and ruined careers .
And some wanted to keep him

Please God,roll on this season

In fairness you talk about him more than most, if you were able to stop probably so would others.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Russell Martin on Swansea on 08:44 - Jul 6 with 789 viewsDr_Winston

Now that Martin has gone do you think Perchy is going to double down on Fisher as his primary hate figure this year or will Naughton make a comeback?
[Post edited 6 Jul 2023 8:44]

Russell Martin on Swansea on 09:34 - Jul 6 with 733 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin on Swansea on 08:39 - Jul 6 by Whiterockin

In fairness you talk about him more than most, if you were able to stop probably so would others.

It's fair comment and I can accept that .
That said, I often replied to what I saw as over love

It's my right to do so

It's a shame Dr Won posts perchy as we agree on much football wise
His posting on RM was hardly complimentary
I've said before we keep it tidy Whitey so let's keep it that wAy
I hate neither Naughton nor Fisher
Fact
Fisher is a poor keeperpreceived as do by most
Naughton is simply overated

WTF is there to bitch about and keep old scores burning

Winston is one I would love to meet again but won't