Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grauniad 08:55 - Feb 5 with 2853 viewsDrWig

Well written piece in "The Guardian'. Most balanced, fact-based report I have seen so far:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/04/michael-laudrup-sacked-by-swanse

The only alternative to the spectacle is the spectacle of the alternative.

Grauniad on 09:09 - Feb 5 with 2723 viewsPrivate_Partz

A good read but no one mention of our horrendous injury list or the fact we played the top teams in two batches rather than spread over the season.
ML was right with regards to leagues within leagues. The current finance of the Prem dictates that and the current points total in the league clearly shows that with all the 'poorer' clubs are struggling.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Grauniad on 09:18 - Feb 5 with 2665 viewsthedrownedman

The injury list excuse is as bad as the Europa league one. We were well below par even with our injured players playing at the start of the season and the tail end of last season.
Grauniad on 09:20 - Feb 5 with 2648 viewsPrivate_Partz

Don't agree- check back on how many players we have had injured. Who is this Michu guy?

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Grauniad on 09:26 - Feb 5 with 2610 viewsLeonisGod

Grauniad on 09:20 - Feb 5 by Private_Partz

Don't agree- check back on how many players we have had injured. Who is this Michu guy?

The point being is that those key players weren't missing at the end of last season and the start of this one, and we were not doing well then either. We haven't been 'right' for some time, with only the occasional flashes of promise.

This is also an interesting read, more from ML's perspective:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-hairdryer/laudrup-sacking-huw-jenkins-fi

Personally, I still think Huw has been a bit hasty - I can't help feeling that the timing is shocking and we would have been better getting through to the summer. Let's not forget we've 2 important cup competitions we're involved in and I reckon the biggest fallout from the sacking will be that our chances to progress in Europe especially have been served a massive blow.

In that article above, I think the last paragraph sums things up quite well:
"But to offload a coach who brought the club unprecedented success, without arranging for a clear, strong replacement (sorry Garry), strikes me as even shorter-term than Laudrup's wandering eye."
Grauniad on 09:27 - Feb 5 with 2606 viewsDarran

I don't see the article as being anything other than a rehash of all the other stories,I can't imagine Huw has given an exclusive interview to that paper myself but everyone else is entitled to think what they want too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Grauniad on 09:30 - Feb 5 with 2583 viewsShaky

As far as I am concerned, the most interesting thing about that link is the comments underneath.

I haven't the time to read anywhere near all of them all, but a quick glance shows supporters of an awful lot of top clubs salivating at the prospect of recruiting Laudrup.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Grauniad on 09:41 - Feb 5 with 2513 viewsthedrownedman

Grauniad on 09:30 - Feb 5 by Shaky

As far as I am concerned, the most interesting thing about that link is the comments underneath.

I haven't the time to read anywhere near all of them all, but a quick glance shows supporters of an awful lot of top clubs salivating at the prospect of recruiting Laudrup.

And so they should - he's a good manager. I just don't believe he's someone you'd want long-term, as is evident throughout his managerial career.

Also, these supporters looking in are only seeing the good he's done. They haven't really got a clear picture of the scene here. Most I've talked to say they are surprised he's gone because he was "doing a good job" etc, but was he really in the end? Eight wins since the cup final is not a good job. And more worrying is the performances have dropped considerably, which doesn't even give us a base to get the results. You can fluke a result or two, but long-term you need solid performances to get the results.
Grauniad on 11:31 - Feb 5 with 2308 viewsCatullus

Grauniad on 09:26 - Feb 5 by LeonisGod

The point being is that those key players weren't missing at the end of last season and the start of this one, and we were not doing well then either. We haven't been 'right' for some time, with only the occasional flashes of promise.

This is also an interesting read, more from ML's perspective:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-hairdryer/laudrup-sacking-huw-jenkins-fi

Personally, I still think Huw has been a bit hasty - I can't help feeling that the timing is shocking and we would have been better getting through to the summer. Let's not forget we've 2 important cup competitions we're involved in and I reckon the biggest fallout from the sacking will be that our chances to progress in Europe especially have been served a massive blow.

In that article above, I think the last paragraph sums things up quite well:
"But to offload a coach who brought the club unprecedented success, without arranging for a clear, strong replacement (sorry Garry), strikes me as even shorter-term than Laudrup's wandering eye."

Things behind the scenes must have been positively awful for this to happen. If HJ hadn't sacked ML then I'm sure we would have been relegated, (we still might be but now I think we have more chance) With Laudrup still in place things would have continued to decline, how far could it have gone, and how far would you have allowed it to go?
I think HJ did what had to be done, when it had to be done. And I agree with Darran on the rehash.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Grauniad on 11:33 - Feb 5 with 2283 viewswaynekerr55

Grauniad on 09:09 - Feb 5 by Private_Partz

A good read but no one mention of our horrendous injury list or the fact we played the top teams in two batches rather than spread over the season.
ML was right with regards to leagues within leagues. The current finance of the Prem dictates that and the current points total in the league clearly shows that with all the 'poorer' clubs are struggling.

A horrendous injury list which could have in part been prevented. Let's flog the players to death and get them fatigued 2 weeks into pre season even though they have a heavier work load this year.

For that the clown Garcia should have had his P45 back then

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Grauniad on 11:41 - Feb 5 with 2229 viewsLohengrin

" He does have fantastic hair though. There is very little chance Swansea will be able to improve on that hair."

That comment to the article gave me a chuckle.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Grauniad on 11:47 - Feb 5 with 2193 viewswaynekerr55

Grauniad on 11:41 - Feb 5 by Lohengrin

" He does have fantastic hair though. There is very little chance Swansea will be able to improve on that hair."

That comment to the article gave me a chuckle.

Amazing.

"That's what happens when you don't have Joe Kinnear as director of football"

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024