Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV 21:49 - May 9 with 4270 viewsDrWig

Villa goal just came on advert for weekend's premier league coverage. Seems really odd watching it in Addis Ababa. Hits home how big PL is. Arsenal most popular team, then Man U and Chelsea. Day off tomorrow so Swans shirt hitting the streets. Having spent 4 days in rural Ethiopia it all (the PL hype ) seems a bit weird after all the poverty and spirit of the people. Even had a rat come out of the bog this morning whilst answering the call of nature

The only alternative to the spectacle is the spectacle of the alternative.

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 21:59 - May 9 with 3407 viewsJackoBoostardo

How big is the Cardiff following out there by the way - apparently they were huge globally.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:02 - May 9 with 3389 viewsjackportis

Bet those ethiopians think he is a right fat get.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:07 - May 9 with 3368 viewsDrWig

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 21:59 - May 9 by JackoBoostardo

How big is the Cardiff following out there by the way - apparently they were huge globally.

Not seen any. Talking to our driver and he was aware of us as we won the League Cup and said we were one of the the sides respected for football (with Everton) or having spirit (stoke and Hull). Cardiff did not register. The PL is everything here. Only Real, Barca, AC Milan and juve
are known outside it. Hundreds will pack a bar showing PL games

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:09 - May 9 with 3349 viewsDrWig

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:02 - May 9 by jackportis

Bet those ethiopians think he is a right fat get.

No. You get some big lads and lasses in the city. I am a fat get which fascinates the kids in the villages

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:10 - May 9 with 3342 viewsJackoBoostardo

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:07 - May 9 by DrWig

Not seen any. Talking to our driver and he was aware of us as we won the League Cup and said we were one of the the sides respected for football (with Everton) or having spirit (stoke and Hull). Cardiff did not register. The PL is everything here. Only Real, Barca, AC Milan and juve
are known outside it. Hundreds will pack a bar showing PL games

Aaahhh bummer! Guess Anus on the CCMB forum wasn't properly informed then when he made those comments about being recognised everywhere around the world.

Not personally been to Ethiopia in my travels. Good to see they've got a good sense for a great team out there!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:13 - May 9 with 3335 viewsLiberty

Dr Wig, hearing you out in Ethiopia. Often when I watch programmes in Africa , a few of the kids / adults have Arsenal / Man u shirts on.

I have loads of Swans shirts, hardly worn. Xl isn't as big as it used to be ! Sure theres a few between us.

Would it be worth Swansea City having a collection of fans shirts / kits / jackets etc and sending out ? I realise my shirt would be better as a tent, but generally.

If this already happens I missed it.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:21 - May 9 with 3305 viewsDrWig

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:13 - May 9 by Liberty

Dr Wig, hearing you out in Ethiopia. Often when I watch programmes in Africa , a few of the kids / adults have Arsenal / Man u shirts on.

I have loads of Swans shirts, hardly worn. Xl isn't as big as it used to be ! Sure theres a few between us.

Would it be worth Swansea City having a collection of fans shirts / kits / jackets etc and sending out ? I realise my shirt would be better as a tent, but generally.

If this already happens I missed it.

Yes it would. In fairness there is a guy on CCMb who took a load of Cardiff shirts to Ghana. I brought some of my kids clothes this time as you get 46kg luggage allowance. I don't think I am likely to out again for a few years as our project is ending, but they would go down well anywhere in Africa. All the shirts are knock offs bit still cost about fiver. To put that in context it would be about 130 quid here given I paid less than three pounds for a hotel room, it shows you how much it means

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:31 - May 9 with 3273 viewspencoedjack

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:21 - May 9 by DrWig

Yes it would. In fairness there is a guy on CCMb who took a load of Cardiff shirts to Ghana. I brought some of my kids clothes this time as you get 46kg luggage allowance. I don't think I am likely to out again for a few years as our project is ending, but they would go down well anywhere in Africa. All the shirts are knock offs bit still cost about fiver. To put that in context it would be about 130 quid here given I paid less than three pounds for a hotel room, it shows you how much it means

What you doing out there mate ?
Login to get fewer ads

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:32 - May 9 with 3265 viewsLiberty

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:21 - May 9 by DrWig

Thats great. I know Phil S obviously reads / runs/ owns this site. I don't know of any better way to flag this up. I really think fans would happily part with old kits for a great cause.

Perhaps at the testimonial or a few league matches, have a van / lorry ( dont want to say skip) where we can all bring and donate kits.

Would be great if we could completely cover liberty pitch, and some, with Swans kits.

Ok thats me done. Would love to be watching an Attenborough programme in a few years, out from the jungle / desert , pops a kid in Swans kit.

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:44 - May 9 with 3233 viewsDrWig

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:31 - May 9 by pencoedjack

What you doing out there mate ?

It may seem strange but chickens! I am an academic at Liverpool Vet school and poultry disease is my speciality. Together with two other UK unis and two research institutes in Ethiopia we are trying to reduce disease whilst
increasing productivity of village chickens. Even the poorest have a couple of birds and they are important for food and as an income source. We have been looking at the main diseases and genetics of the chickens for three years. A few of us have been back to the villages to tell them what we have found and how they can combat the main diseases. We were in Western Ethiopia, about eight hours drive from Addis Ababa. This region is hilly and temperate. In fact wet and muddy at the moment. Day off tomorrow then off to Harrar near Somalia. Not been there but our PhD students say it is very hot and have to travel through Rift Valley to get there

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:59 - May 9 with 3194 viewsLiberty

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:44 - May 9 by DrWig

It may seem strange but chickens! I am an academic at Liverpool Vet school and poultry disease is my speciality. Together with two other UK unis and two research institutes in Ethiopia we are trying to reduce disease whilst
increasing productivity of village chickens. Even the poorest have a couple of birds and they are important for food and as an income source. We have been looking at the main diseases and genetics of the chickens for three years. A few of us have been back to the villages to tell them what we have found and how they can combat the main diseases. We were in Western Ethiopia, about eight hours drive from Addis Ababa. This region is hilly and temperate. In fact wet and muddy at the moment. Day off tomorrow then off to Harrar near Somalia. Not been there but our PhD students say it is very hot and have to travel through Rift Valley to get there

That makes Swansea sound boring.

Great that you take time out to post. Cheers

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:02 - May 9 with 3184 viewspencoedjack

Not the answer I expected ........... but good on you .

Keep up the great work
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:08 - May 9 with 3175 viewsDrWig

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 22:59 - May 9 by Liberty

That makes Swansea sound boring.

Great that you take time out to post. Cheers

Thanks. Much appreciated. If you wondered where the UK aid budget goes it is on work like this-training people to help themselves, not handouts. Most of my work is UK-based on food safety. Thie work in Africa is more rewarding

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:15 - May 9 with 3158 viewsLiberty

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:08 - May 9 by DrWig

Thanks. Much appreciated. If you wondered where the UK aid budget goes it is on work like this-training people to help themselves, not handouts. Most of my work is UK-based on food safety. Thie work in Africa is more rewarding

I bet its more rewarding. I take my hat off to you. What you are teaching them is invaluable and will be passed down the generations. Fantastic work.

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:25 - May 9 with 3132 viewsDrWig

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:15 - May 9 by Liberty

I bet its more rewarding. I take my hat off to you. What you are teaching them is invaluable and will be passed down the generations. Fantastic work.

Again thanks to you and Pencoed for the positive comments. I'll try to post a picture or two sometime. The experience breaks and lifts your heart and the same time. People with so little there are so generous- an invitation for coffee comes from nearly every house.

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:29 - May 9 with 3124 viewspencoedjack

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:25 - May 9 by DrWig

Again thanks to you and Pencoed for the positive comments. I'll try to post a picture or two sometime. The experience breaks and lifts your heart and the same time. People with so little there are so generous- an invitation for coffee comes from nearly every house.

Please try to post some pics mate ....
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:40 - May 9 with 3093 viewsLiberty

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:25 - May 9 by DrWig

About 20 years ago or more, someone reminded me that vets were originally around to heal cows, pigs, chickens etc I.e. those animals that families depended on to survive.

Nowadays, most associate vets with curing dogs, cats etc ..as more pets / luxuries, than necessity to survive / eat etc.

Before anyone says, I realise people love their dogs and cats etc and the joy they bring.

Sounds to me like you are curing animals / educating others to save their lives in order to survive. Great.

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:48 - May 9 with 3080 viewsSwanzay

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 23:40 - May 9 by Liberty

About 20 years ago or more, someone reminded me that vets were originally around to heal cows, pigs, chickens etc I.e. those animals that families depended on to survive.

Nowadays, most associate vets with curing dogs, cats etc ..as more pets / luxuries, than necessity to survive / eat etc.

Before anyone says, I realise people love their dogs and cats etc and the joy they bring.

Sounds to me like you are curing animals / educating others to save their lives in order to survive. Great.

DrWig, doffs cap, superb effort!
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 04:09 - May 10 with 2988 viewsdameedna

Dr, I work across Africa, we employ security and construction teams and they live off chickens. Let me know if we can implement something simply.

I been in some great games watching Swansea in a shack with hundreds of guys and their big mammas cooking the pots and serving up beer.
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 04:21 - May 10 with 2985 viewsdameedna

We take 2 to 3 cases in each on the plane, depending on airline so that is a case load of tops. No better better way to make friends and eat good food than to give football tops,

Swansea would be recognised all over Africa but any team will do (chelsea top notch),

always take a few old tops on your hols is the best policy

a guy from Nigeria playing on the wing for a local pro team applied to Swansea this season as he thought he would fit our style, so we are known
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 09:33 - May 10 with 2863 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 04:21 - May 10 by dameedna

We take 2 to 3 cases in each on the plane, depending on airline so that is a case load of tops. No better better way to make friends and eat good food than to give football tops,

Swansea would be recognised all over Africa but any team will do (chelsea top notch),

a guy from Nigeria playing on the wing for a local pro team applied to Swansea this season as he thought he would fit our style, so we are known

I think Wilfried has helped our cause in Africa. If he has a good World Cup as well the link will be highlighted even more

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 10:04 - May 10 with 2825 viewsoldcob

What a brilliant post and some great ideas to "spread the word'. Don't own a football shirt myself, always think there's something weird about a seventy year old wearing a football shirt. I do have about twenty different tops etc purchased from the Liberty shop with the Swans logo that I wear when travelling to the continent. Every year they are becoming more recognisable.I usually come back with less than I went with though, giving one or two away to barmen.
[Post edited 10 May 2014 10:11]
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 10:05 - May 10 with 2824 viewspencoedjack

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 04:21 - May 10 by dameedna

Seems a better idea than giving a Swans top to a waiter who kept my glass topped up whilst lying in the sun on holiday.

I'm in .
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 10:12 - May 10 with 2813 viewsoldcob

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 10:05 - May 10 by pencoedjack

Seems a better idea than giving a Swans top to a waiter who kept my glass topped up whilst lying in the sun on holiday.

I'm in .

Of course it is. Agree whole heartedly.
Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 14:16 - May 10 with 2694 viewsmurph

Shelvey's goal on Ethiopian TV on 10:12 - May 10 by oldcob

Of course it is. Agree whole heartedly.

Great work you do DrW...............

I'd like to see some pix too.

I've got a few chooks up here in Townhill...........if they ever get the sniffles I'll be giving you a buzz :=]

Murph
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024