Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It was 20 years ago today 09:03 - Sep 10 with 4656 viewsBluebottle

Twenty years ago today some of us will have attended the most surreal and exiting Dale game some of us will have witnessed.
A game which in hindsight maybe shouldn't have gone ahead, but did producing everything from Kev Townson supergoals, last minute equaliser, and the dreaded penalties.
Of course the football never really mattered that day 20 years ago, but it was part of that day, and gave a few hours relief before we returned home to continue the horror of what had happened in New York earlier that day.
Thoughts and prayers with all those who died and have suffered from the terrible events of 9/11.

[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 9:05]
It was 20 years ago today on 09:39 - Sep 10 with 4556 viewsSandyDrum

Ah yes, the famous terrorist attack of 9/10.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

It was 20 years ago today on 09:40 - Sep 10 with 4542 viewsD_Alien

Tomorrow...

It was right that the game went ahead. During 1939-45, football matches were arranged whilst cities were being carpet-bombed, ships sunk and aircraft blasted out of the sky. A sense of life continuing was needed then, and welcome on 9/11 too

No harm came to anyone through the game going ahead, and people had the very simple option to not attend if they felt otherwise. Perhaps some didn't attend, and nothing wrong with that either
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 9:42]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

It was 20 years ago today on 09:51 - Sep 10 with 4510 viewsbig_dav3RAFC

I remember ringing the club and asking them if the game was still going ahead after the events in America.
I worked a turnstile that night and then sat in the away end ( open that night to Dale fans )
to watch a rather exciting game which the Dale were unfortunate to lose.

I think We got a Fulham keeper on loan afterwards.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2021 10:09]
It was 20 years ago today on 10:23 - Sep 10 with 4441 viewselectricblue

What a game that was, Dale game within a whisker of claiming Fulhams scalp..

Super kevins brace against Fulham had supporters in the sandy talking of if he would play at a higher level !

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

It was 20 years ago today on 12:17 - Sep 11 with 3939 viewsNigeriamark

It was 20 years ago today on 10:23 - Sep 10 by electricblue

What a game that was, Dale game within a whisker of claiming Fulhams scalp..

Super kevins brace against Fulham had supporters in the sandy talking of if he would play at a higher level !

Was it soon after he got a call up to the England U-19 squad ( not sure if he played)?

I suppose at that point he definitely looked like moving on & up. However like a lot of teenagers, they don't continue the upward progress. Certainly provided some good memories in his time here
It was 20 years ago today on 17:44 - Sep 11 with 3735 viewsfinberty

It always struck me as odd that on a day when football should not have mattered, I developed an awareness of, and a loathing for, Rufus Brevitt.
It was 20 years ago today on 09:34 - Sep 12 with 3552 viewsR17ALE

It was 20 years ago today on 17:44 - Sep 11 by finberty

It always struck me as odd that on a day when football should not have mattered, I developed an awareness of, and a loathing for, Rufus Brevitt.

And the matchday commentator of that era, hairdresser John Peers, (in the days when commentators had a personality) was heard to say of him, "what sort of haircut is that? He's got a dodgy barnet!"

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

It was 20 years ago today on 11:11 - Sep 12 with 3426 viewsTVOS1907

It was 20 years ago today on 09:34 - Sep 12 by R17ALE

And the matchday commentator of that era, hairdresser John Peers, (in the days when commentators had a personality) was heard to say of him, "what sort of haircut is that? He's got a dodgy barnet!"

"Rufus Brevett. Dodgy hair. Dodgy goal."

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

It was 20 years ago today on 15:09 - Sep 15 with 2910 viewsThacks_Rabbits

It was 20 years ago today on 11:11 - Sep 12 by TVOS1907

"Rufus Brevett. Dodgy hair. Dodgy goal."

Brevett is as a horrible player and that day he really
Excelled himself, dirty sod.

Was the keeper for them that day Marcus Hanermann (excuse spelling) who we later took on loan? I am sure he got nothing but applause that day and think there were chants of USA in support. Cracking keeper and he very much appreciated the support. The chant continued during his loan spell as he performed as well as any loan keeper we have probably ever had.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

It was 20 years ago today on 15:16 - Sep 15 with 2893 viewsAtThePeake

It was 20 years ago today on 15:09 - Sep 15 by Thacks_Rabbits

Brevett is as a horrible player and that day he really
Excelled himself, dirty sod.

Was the keeper for them that day Marcus Hanermann (excuse spelling) who we later took on loan? I am sure he got nothing but applause that day and think there were chants of USA in support. Cracking keeper and he very much appreciated the support. The chant continued during his loan spell as he performed as well as any loan keeper we have probably ever had.

It was Maik Taylor in goal for them that night:

https://www.11v11.com/matches/rochdale-v-fulham-11-september-2001-8180/

Tangled up in blue.

It was 20 years ago today on 18:15 - Sep 16 with 2483 viewsThacks_Rabbits

It was 20 years ago today on 15:16 - Sep 15 by AtThePeake

Stand correct ATP. Think we must have got him shortly afterwards and the USA chants were once he signed. Funny how you remember things that never happened.

Was that the game Flitcroft took a penalty and missed miles wide or am I wrong again 😂

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

It was 20 years ago today on 19:19 - Sep 16 with 2413 viewsTVOS1907

It was 20 years ago today on 15:16 - Sep 15 by AtThePeake

The same Maik Taylor mentioned in the YouTube link in the opening post?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

It was 20 years ago today on 20:49 - Sep 16 with 2311 viewsfermin

It was 20 years ago today on 18:15 - Sep 16 by Thacks_Rabbits

Stand correct ATP. Think we must have got him shortly afterwards and the USA chants were once he signed. Funny how you remember things that never happened.

Was that the game Flitcroft took a penalty and missed miles wide or am I wrong again 😂

I think it was more that Fulham were impressed by the way we played that night and were willing to let us have or offered us Hahnemann on loan.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024