Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who does Steve Cook Replace? 15:00 - Dec 29 with 32389 viewsHastings_Hoops

I would imagine that Steve Cook will be joining us on the assumption of first team football - in which case, who does he replace (style of play / positioning) - I must admit to being a bit ignorant on that one.

Also, I assume that this indicates that:

1) Dickie and / or Barbet will definitely be gone by next season.
Or
2) we’re planning ahead and assuming Cook’s experience could be a great help to Dickie and Dunne in settling into the prem.

…most likely hedging our bets each way.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 08:55 - Jan 3 with 3712 viewsgazza1

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 23:37 - Jan 2 by Myke

Antti I'm getting a bit pissed off with your snide remarks at every available opportunity. Remarkable to think that you once contributed regular features on this site, such is your descent to personal attacks This is not the first time I have had to pull you on this. If you can't engage in mature debate, then at least try not to resort to childish insults. Grow up good man

I agree....seen it a lot. No problems as far as I am concerned but he has become an 'aggressive nasty' from what he was, a 'passive pussy'
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 10:23 - Jan 3 with 3425 viewsloftboy

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 19:53 - Jan 1 by Northernr

I'm still not giving up on the potential that the annual "could we still get dragged into the relegation battle?" LFW staple could make its usual appearance in January.

That’s my job and it’s definitely not appearing this year 😂😂😂

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 10:56 - Jan 3 with 3232 viewsBlackCrowe

Antti I'm getting a bit pissed off with your snide remarks at every available opportunity. Remarkable to think that you once contributed regular features on this site, such is your descent to personal attacks This is not the first time I have had to pull you on this. If you can't engage in mature debate, then at least try not to resort to childish insults. Grow up good man

Passive aggression, it's all the rage i hear.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:10 - Jan 3 with 3162 viewsEsox_Lucius

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/steve-cook.2448/page-83

The grass is always greener.

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:15 - Jan 3 with 3126 viewsAntti_Heinola

You're right mate - I went too far there for my own amusement and it wasn't fair on you. Fulsome apologies.

Bare bones.

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:32 - Jan 3 with 3041 viewsstevenagehoop

Whether he was good enough or not it’s another one that for whatever reason has slipped through the net. I thought we had improved on this part of our game too but maybe not.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:40 - Jan 3 with 2992 viewsLongsufferingR

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:32 - Jan 3 by stevenagehoop

Whether he was good enough or not it’s another one that for whatever reason has slipped through the net. I thought we had improved on this part of our game too but maybe not.

But surely this is a sign of how far we HAVE improved this part of our game? We identify players that may fill a role for us, set a price/wages/contract we are willing to go for and if the player doesn't agree, we don't break the bank in our pursuit and look for alternatives. That's a good thing isn't it?
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:43 - Jan 3 with 2983 viewstraininvain

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:32 - Jan 3 by stevenagehoop

The club has strict parameters on wages, length of contact etc. If we couldn’t agree terms with Cook then so be it. I’d prefer to see the club stick to their guns and not let players dictate the terms.

Cook’s 30 years old (31 in a few months time) and Forest have handed him a two and a half year deal. Not sure about wages but probably safe to assume that Forest have offered him more money given his last minute change of heart to join them.

Can’t say I’m too gutted to have missed out on this signing.
Login to get fewer ads

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:53 - Jan 3 with 2942 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:43 - Jan 3 by traininvain

The club has strict parameters on wages, length of contact etc. If we couldn’t agree terms with Cook then so be it. I’d prefer to see the club stick to their guns and not let players dictate the terms.

Cook’s 30 years old (31 in a few months time) and Forest have handed him a two and a half year deal. Not sure about wages but probably safe to assume that Forest have offered him more money given his last minute change of heart to join them.

Looks like he was after one last pay day and Forest offered more money.

If his priority is money then I would rather we recruited people who want to be part of a successful team and develop themselves.
Since we put this strategy in place we have been much more successful than when we threw the money around.

I just hope we have some decent players on the list that have both the right characteristics and skills for our club.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:55 - Jan 3 with 2928 viewsStainrod

Its frustrating but I trust the club these days to have a back up plan. We are right to stick to our wage structure, otherwise before you know it we are back in the same financial trouble as before.

As someone on another board pointed out, all these defenders we "missed out" on and seemed crucial at the time have not pulled up too many trees (tho' think Manning would have been made for our current system):

- Grant Hall has made 19 appearances for Boro in 18 months

- Jack Robinson has made 23 appearances for Sheff Utd in 2yrs and only 6 this season in the championship.

- Todd Kane has made only 12 appearances for Coventry this season since joining

- Ryan Manning has played 17 times for Swansea since joining them 15 months ago.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:06 - Jan 3 with 2865 viewsToast_R

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:55 - Jan 3 by Stainrod

Its frustrating but I trust the club these days to have a back up plan. We are right to stick to our wage structure, otherwise before you know it we are back in the same financial trouble as before.

As someone on another board pointed out, all these defenders we "missed out" on and seemed crucial at the time have not pulled up too many trees (tho' think Manning would have been made for our current system):

- Jack Robinson has made 23 appearances for Sheff Utd in 2yrs and only 6 this season in the championship.

- Ryan Manning has played 17 times for Swansea since joining them 15 months ago.

Anyone got the stats on Luke Freeman? Seemed to go Sheff Utd under an exciting role of impact sub in Premier League to loaned out to the Trees where he disappeared?
Likely to be running down his contract at United I guess, if he was half as good as 3 years ago a cheeky loan to replace Chair wouldn't be a bad fit?
[Post edited 3 Jan 2022 12:14]
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:08 - Jan 3 with 2852 viewsPinnerPaul

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 10:22 - Dec 30 by Wegerles_Stairs

I think we need to revaluate our transfer policy of signing crocks on the cheap - it isn't working and we should be scouting lower division prospects who might actually be able to play the majority of matches. Yes, we have got better at identifying the likes of Willock but how long has it taken us to find a couple of fit, young wing backs? Several years and counting.

Well the alternative to 'crocks on the cheap' is expensive super fit ever presents.

A little simplistic, but you get my drift - these days we sign what we can afford, which has generally served us well on and off the pitch since MW arrived.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:13 - Jan 3 with 2822 viewsLongsufferingR

Good job none of these players are pulling up trees at Forest otherwise they'd have to be renamed Nottingham Field
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:15 - Jan 3 with 2807 viewsPinnerPaul

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 22:26 - Jan 2 by LongsufferingR

Isn't that 3 centre backs they have gazumped us for in the last couple of years? Hefele, McKenna and Cook. What on earth possesses these players going there to join a 35 man squad?

Money
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:46 - Jan 3 with 2721 viewsnix

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:15 - Jan 3 by PinnerPaul

Money

In fairness they've trimmed their squad since the farce of last season and only have five centre backs, two of which have been out practically the entire season with injury (including one who hasn't even played after being signed last summer with a cruciate injury), and from what their fans were saying after our last match with them, they're not that keen on Figuieredo, one of the other three centre backs. Cook could well get straight into their team.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:09 - Jan 3 with 2615 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:55 - Jan 3 by Stainrod

Whilst I agree with the key point around wage structure, the examples you cited do not compliment your argument. QPR didn't 'miss out' on any of these players, nor were they crucial at the time. They were QPR players who, for one reason or another, moved on to pastures new. Still, point taken.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:11 - Jan 3 with 2603 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:40 - Jan 3 by LongsufferingR

But surely this is a sign of how far we HAVE improved this part of our game? We identify players that may fill a role for us, set a price/wages/contract we are willing to go for and if the player doesn't agree, we don't break the bank in our pursuit and look for alternatives. That's a good thing isn't it?

If that is what has happened in this case then, yes, it's a good thing.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:12 - Jan 3 with 2600 viewsNorthernr

Charlie Goode was another we thought was coming, didn't, and we just went and got Dickie instead, which worked out quite nicely.

Once you start breaking your wage structure to get a name signing over the line you're fcked. You'll get every member of the squad banging your door down asking for a better deal, there'll be resentment, people will want to know why it was one rule for them when they were negotiating but it's a different rule for somebody else. Make them an offer, if they want to go and be the latest flavour of the month at Nottingham Forest instead then let them go and move on.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:18 - Jan 3 with 2579 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:43 - Jan 3 by traininvain

I'm inclined to agree. A solid enough player who could lend some promotion know-how but only if available on the right terms. Certainly not worth pushing the boat out for. If Forest have offered better terms then, at his age, you can't blame the player for chasing security.

The question remains as to whether QPR have identified a suitable alternative.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:50 - Jan 3 with 2466 viewskensalriser

Never mind we'll find someone like him.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 14:33 - Jan 3 with 2324 viewsDejR_vu

100% Myke. I fell out with him early this year for comments he made because I said something he disagreed with on the Anton Ferdinand thread. I pretty much haven’t posted since. A more condescending, snide poster you’ll be hard pressed to find.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2022 14:35]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 14:51 - Jan 3 with 2263 viewsstevenagehoop

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:40 - Jan 3 by LongsufferingR

I have no problem with keeping to a wage structure -if that was the reason for his going elsewhere - my comment was more about the length of time that it seems to take for us to finalise what rightly or wrongly come over as ‘done’ deals allowing the likes of Forest to muscle in who apparently are prepared to pay more.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:02 - Jan 3 with 2201 viewsdanehoop

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 14:51 - Jan 3 by stevenagehoop

I have no problem with keeping to a wage structure -if that was the reason for his going elsewhere - my comment was more about the length of time that it seems to take for us to finalise what rightly or wrongly come over as ‘done’ deals allowing the likes of Forest to muscle in who apparently are prepared to pay more.

I think that will be solely down to the agent. We had a deal on offer which had seemed to be acceptable to Cook. The agents job is to get the possible deal for his client and that looks to be what he has done here by using us as a lever to squeeze more from Florist for his services.

Inclined to think that the contract length on offer was possibly deciding factor in this, and we probably looked to do a 2 + extension options as we tend to, and Florist with their seemingly immunity to FFP felt more confident in offering longer contract. As a player over 30 he will be looking for greatest certainty of employment as well as salary level. Seems fair enough, but could equally argue that possibly not quite the fit for us, as I'd like to think we have a little more potential than Florist for premotion this year, though to be fair to them, they have improved a lot over past few months.

One that got away, but there will certainly be other options under consideration if this a priority position for Warbs.

Never knowingly understood

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:13 - Jan 3 with 2148 viewsStainrod

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:09 - Jan 3 by Benny_the_Ball

Whilst I agree with the key point around wage structure, the examples you cited do not compliment your argument. QPR didn't 'miss out' on any of these players, nor were they crucial at the time. They were QPR players who, for one reason or another, moved on to pastures new. Still, point taken.

Fair comment. I suppose then I would give the example of Naki Wells (a striker I appreciate). Most of us were gutted to miss out on him, now Bristol City couldn't give him away on a free because some other mug would have to match his vast wages. Or that Scottish defender (McKenna?) who Forest also "beat" us to. For all I know he is having a great season but you don't hear of Premier League clubs chasing him the way we do Dickie, who we went out and got instead.

Sometimes there is a player who can transform your team - Buzacky when he arrived (the first really decent player in ages) or Adel. Or you are crying out for a particular position to be filled. But not sure Cook is worth breaking the wage structure/ upsetting the camaraderie for. The very fact we had a thread of several pages trying to work out who Cook would replace suggests he wasn't that special. Yes we need a fit centre half to compete with the existing three but how many of us, hand on heart, could even picture Cook when we were first connected with him? Fair play to Forest, we wanted him, they got him, he sounds an excellent signing for them, but with the organisation we now have in place would be surprised if we didn't already have a plan b in place.

And if we don't, we just keep buggering on. Look at Brum yesterday, had to field not merely kids but players who were virtually children. I keep reading we desperately need wing backs but we have Uncle, Odubaju and Osman on the right, Wallace, Sam and Nico on the left. Yes we all know several of them have injury issues, AFCON, concerns about how good Kakay/ Nico are etc - but we are not a Champs League club, we are a Championship outfit with a smaller than average budget. If we can't get people we just have to muddle through somehow.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:23 - Jan 3 with 2111 viewsAntti_Heinola

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 14:33 - Jan 3 by DejR_vu

100% Myke. I fell out with him early this year for comments he made because I said something he disagreed with on the Anton Ferdinand thread. I pretty much haven’t posted since. A more condescending, snide poster you’ll be hard pressed to find.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2022 14:35]

I am genuinely sorry that our row stopped you from posting. The best thing to do is block me and carry on posting and contributing. This site is far more important than one self-important tw@t like me ruining your experience.

While I'm not for everyone, I think and hope I co-exist on more than friendly terms with 90% of this board (ok, 80% - shut up), but on that occasion I deeply disagreed with your post and said so. I do find Myke's recurring worries in a really good, entertaining season a bit much (but that is what a forum is for, of course - everyone has an opinion, and everyone can point out that they think they are profoundly wrong) but I have a new year's resolution to be kinder and less sarcastic on here to certain posters and make better judgements on what is a harmless ribbing (which I genuinely thought the one on this thread was, actually (while I meant every word of it, the Willock line, the only bit directed at Myke, was meant to be a joke... sort of. A harmless dig, anyway)) but clearly I misjudged and Myke was a bit PO'd - fair enough) and what is a bit snide. I've already been extremely well-behaved with paulparker, for instance. I haven't upset him in months, even liking and agreeing with some of his recent posts (which worries me) - I'm working on myself, I really am.

So - please: block me. I don't care, I really don't. Why should I? I've blocked a dozen people on here, some absolute nuggets who probably don't post here anymore anyway, and were only here for the wind-up, but still a couple who regularly post, and the board is a much happier place for it. Life's too short to be cross with me. Who the hell am I? Why are you upset by me? Block me. Move on. We like to say 'We're all Rangers' but that's a bit ridiculous. We (you and me) don't like each other (although, genuinely, that post you made was the only one I ever read that I ever had any proper issue with and always considered you a top, top poster on here as Jamie Redkapp would say), and that's fine. That is life. Come on and give your views on whether we should sign Kasey Palmer. Get involved. Clive deserves it. Don't punish the site for one row with me.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024