Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz Truss is the new PM 12:39 - Sep 5 with 31717 viewsJuzzie

82% of the 172,437 Conservative members voted. That's 141,000 people deciding the fate of millions.

Sunak got 60k votes (43%)
Truss got 81k votes (57%)

So it wasn't even a clear majority, the Party was fairly evenly split which says to me they're not in harmony, a divided party.

God help us.

I'd have said the same has Sunak won it, what an awful place to be in where no one seems to be anywhere near good enough for the job at hand.

And before anyone says "Well Labour wouldn't do a better job of it" a) it's not about Labour b) maybe not

What a state this country is in.

[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 12:58]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:45 - Sep 5 with 2301 viewsSydneyRs

Time for a united Ireland. Better for both sides in the north. Britain is now a basket case which doesn't seem like it will be fixed anytime soon. Clueless government and gutless opposition.

As for Truss, former lefty, former anti monarchy, former vehement remainer. Clearly a woman of conviction. I trust nobody will mind if Sadiq Khan or Jeremy Corbyn takes over as Tory leader should she not succeed in the role.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:47 - Sep 5 with 2277 viewsSydneyRs

Liz Truss is the new PM on 20:24 - Sep 5 by Clive_Anderson

It's funny the people who wanted Boris out the most are now the ones complaining the loudest now there is a replacement. Er....that's what you were demanding happened a few months ago.

Not convinced about paying for an energy price freeze. The price is going up as there is less energy available, so if everyone uses it at the same rate then we could be in for shortages when it's needed the most. Also another £100bn+ added to the national bill...

Can we have some new power stations now please?

Because we thought they might pick someone better rather than more of the same flag shagging rubbish taking people for idiots.

There were some half decent candidates, but they chose this.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:49 - Sep 5 with 2271 viewsnumptydumpty

I quite fancy her...

Is that wrong ???????

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:49 - Sep 5 with 2269 viewsSydneyRs

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:27 - Sep 5 by qpr1976

I sympathise, but the fact is, it’s done. Maybe not well, certainly with issues, but we are out. Ask the rest of Europe.

This is the problem, "we are out" is all that matters to some. The country is clearly worse off for it, none of the issues leavers wanted resolved by it are going to be resolved by it, but "we are out" so that's cool.

Worse than that is the cowardice of Labour and others to call it out.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:51 - Sep 5 with 2259 viewsnumptydumpty

Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:49 - Sep 5 by numptydumpty

I quite fancy her...

Is that wrong ???????

Can't explain why though ???

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:52 - Sep 5 with 2254 viewsSydneyRs

Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:34 - Sep 5 by monners1969

As Lycett said at the weekend we're pretty much at the bottom of the barrell. Theyre not even really tories...

But putting aside everything else - how mad is it that 81,000 people have chosen the PM for (maybe but probably not) the next 2 years...

That'll be 14 years of "conservative" govt...

I remember milling around london in 2012 and thinking how proud everyone must be to live in the UK and 10 years later were paddling in Sh%te, nothing really works, facing the worst winter ahead that anyone can remember....

But whats worse is that as an Irishman living here I have more rights than people holding British passports....

Its the first time in my adult life Im seriously contemplating moving out of the UK..

my local pub would miss me I guess (assuming it stays open)...

Hey ho!

So true about 2012, you really saw the best of Britain back then. What's happened since is an absolute crying shame.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:54 - Sep 5 with 2253 viewsSydneyRs

I quite fancy her...

Is that wrong ???????

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/
Liz Truss is the new PM on 02:05 - Sep 6 with 2183 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I quite fancy her...

Is that wrong ???????

There's an existing thread for that if you want to make it official:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/114849/page:33/#822

[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 12:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Liz Truss is the new PM on 02:11 - Sep 6 with 2180 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:02 - Sep 6 with 1995 viewsqpr1976

Liz Truss is the new PM on 19:41 - Sep 5 by themodfather

miss trust? we are fooked . the issue is labour are not an opposition anymore especially if they won't work with the unions /and or the workers.

I agree Labour are not a great opposition.
But I also disagree in that I feel the Union still pretty much own Labour. That’s why there are so many unions looking to strike atm. Yes people are struggling with inflation and energy bills etc. but who’s really benefiting from these strikes ? Labour. It’s added pressure on the existing government.

In reality, Unions rarely achieve the pay rise they ask for. There’s always an agreement in the end Much closer to the employers offer. Just how much does it hurt the union heirarchy on their 6 figure salaries when instructing ‘the workers’ to strike ?

Depressing to write. We need a major shift in politics and I don’t really know how. Others are smarter than me to create something fresh.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:21 - Sep 6 with 1950 viewsnix

Liz Truss is the new PM on 19:41 - Sep 5 by themodfather

miss trust? we are fooked . the issue is labour are not an opposition anymore especially if they won't work with the unions /and or the workers.

There's a difference between not working with the unions and the workers and not being in thrall to them. Tony Blair got that and Jeremy Corbyn didn't. Who won the most elections?

The one thing this shitty, talentless, self serving Government realises is that you have to appeal to as much of the electorate as possible. They did that brilliantly.

They are extremely underhand, massively over promising and under delivering, bordering on corrupt, and certainly inept but they get the fact you have to appeal to the electorate.

Of course Labour are hamstrung by hugely imbalanced publicity machines. The Tory budget for publicising themselves is much bigger and they also own much more of the media, they are also somehow able to accept foreign money which allows a scandalous level of meddling in our sovereign affairs. In addition they have very cleverly espoused the idea that the BBC is not to be trusted. You read criticism of the BBC time after time for the most innocuous of things in forums all the time. It's because it's become second nature to blame them for everything. It's a very clever game to hamstrung the best media outlet who can' hold you to account by making them have to show a ridiculous degree of balance.

When our public services are falling apart, our economy is wrecked, people are still saying they trust this shower of shit with the economy. Give me strength.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 9:23]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:23 - Sep 6 with 1944 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:02 - Sep 6 by qpr1976

But I also disagree in that I feel the Union still pretty much own Labour. That’s why there are so many unions looking to strike atm. Yes people are struggling with inflation and energy bills etc. but who’s really benefiting from these strikes ? Labour. It’s added pressure on the existing government.

In reality, Unions rarely achieve the pay rise they ask for. There’s always an agreement in the end Much closer to the employers offer. Just how much does it hurt the union heirarchy on their 6 figure salaries when instructing ‘the workers’ to strike ?

Depressing to write. We need a major shift in politics and I don’t really know how. Others are smarter than me to create something fresh.

I can’t ignore this, despite my best intentions.

Every single statement made in this post is false except the first one.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 9:31]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:27 - Sep 6 with 1928 viewsEsox_Lucius

Liz Truss is the new PM on 16:03 - Sep 5 by qpr1976

Thing is, last election. When Boris won (by default). The country felt Corbyn was unelectable.
Starmer may be more viable, but he has skeletons too.

Didn't stop people voting for Boris did it, I'm not even sure they could be described as skeletons either; more like blatant admissions of guilt & corruption.

The grass is always greener.

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:28 - Sep 6 with 1922 viewsEsox_Lucius

Liz Truss is the new PM on 23:27 - Sep 5 by PlanetHonneywood

You seem to have forgotten that it was 50 appointed government office holders resigned to get him out. Office holders he appointed and members of his own parliamentary party who wanted shot of him the most.

BJ was by far, the worst PM in our time. However, the ‘complainers’ as you term then, are doing so because Lizard and Sunak were all the Tori’s were able to put forward as their best alternative! Seriously, that’s all they could muster. That’s the issue here: the UK has been lumbered with a person generally seen as pretty thick to lead through these challenging times.

As with all these things, especially with Lizard, it’s who is behind her pulling the strings? I can’t believe she’s anywhere near intelligent enough to captain her own ship and suspect she’s a stooge for self-serving fat cats.

ERG & The Tax Payers Alliance.

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:34 - Sep 6 with 1900 viewsEsox_Lucius

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:02 - Sep 6 by qpr1976

There is virtually no connection now between the Labour party and the Unions and this has been happening for a couple of years now. Starmer has stated that he isn't interested in Union support any longer and many big Unions have withdrawn support for the party, Unite being the biggest so far.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-unite-union-donations-star
Labour is now the natural home for the non UKIP Tories.

Liz Truss is the new PM on 10:13 - Sep 6 with 1865 viewsqpr1976

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:34 - Sep 6 by Esox_Lucius

There is virtually no connection now between the Labour party and the Unions and this has been happening for a couple of years now. Starmer has stated that he isn't interested in Union support any longer and many big Unions have withdrawn support for the party, Unite being the biggest so far.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-unite-union-donations-star
Labour is now the natural home for the non UKIP Tories.

Fair enough Esox (& Bazza a couple of posts above). I’ll bow to you better knowledge, it was just my simplistic view. I’ll back away from this thread, it’s too depressing and I don’t want to agitate or fallout with anyone over different parties of morally corrupt deviants. Be them, Red, Blue or Yellow (or even Yellow, turned Blue !)

We’ll always have QPR ( I hope!)
Liz Truss is the new PM on 10:17 - Sep 6 with 1856 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Liz Truss is the new PM on 10:13 - Sep 6 by qpr1976

Fair enough Esox (& Bazza a couple of posts above). I’ll bow to you better knowledge, it was just my simplistic view. I’ll back away from this thread, it’s too depressing and I don’t want to agitate or fallout with anyone over different parties of morally corrupt deviants. Be them, Red, Blue or Yellow (or even Yellow, turned Blue !)

We’ll always have QPR ( I hope!)

Sorry for the abruptness.

You Rsss
Liz Truss is the new PM on 11:34 - Sep 6 with 1748 viewsSakura

Liz Truss is the new PM on 09:21 - Sep 6 by nix

There's a difference between not working with the unions and the workers and not being in thrall to them. Tony Blair got that and Jeremy Corbyn didn't. Who won the most elections?

The one thing this shitty, talentless, self serving Government realises is that you have to appeal to as much of the electorate as possible. They did that brilliantly.

They are extremely underhand, massively over promising and under delivering, bordering on corrupt, and certainly inept but they get the fact you have to appeal to the electorate.

Of course Labour are hamstrung by hugely imbalanced publicity machines. The Tory budget for publicising themselves is much bigger and they also own much more of the media, they are also somehow able to accept foreign money which allows a scandalous level of meddling in our sovereign affairs. In addition they have very cleverly espoused the idea that the BBC is not to be trusted. You read criticism of the BBC time after time for the most innocuous of things in forums all the time. It's because it's become second nature to blame them for everything. It's a very clever game to hamstrung the best media outlet who can' hold you to account by making them have to show a ridiculous degree of balance.

When our public services are falling apart, our economy is wrecked, people are still saying they trust this shower of shit with the economy. Give me strength.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 9:23]

Ironic we are in an absolute mess in this country because the Tories pursued two policies most of those on the Left would have wanted any alternative government to pursue anyway: Lockdowns and the Green agenda

Whoever we voted in this last decade or so the mess would be the same. We would still be broke and still have no energy security. Unless we fix those problems everything else is window dressing

A new party will need to emerge as none of the current lot have the answers. Posters on here kidding themselves if they think Labour would do any better. Truss will fail because the energy issue can't be sorted in next two years

We haven't got enough energy and we haven't got any money left. Interest rates rising another 0.75% this month. Would love to know the stat on how many extra billions in interest we pay as a nation on that debt now

Also the publicity machine comment I find interesting. TV media you can't be talking about. GB News and Talk TV have popped up because that side of the argument wasn't being heard elsewhere.

BBC comment could have a thread of its own but would just say I strongly hold a different viewpoint to you there.

Newspapers, The Sun moves with public sentiment. Been Tory a while. And then what are we left with Mail & Telegraph vs Mirror & Guardian really. Don't see this dominance you speak of

But really social media most influential of all. More of an issue in the US with their scandalous dealings with the Hunter Biden stuff as an example. Twitter, Google, Facebook, YouTube all skewed massively to the left. Censoring those on the right far more heavily

Loftforwords to me comes across as a good example of the Lefts dominance over social media. It's heavily a left leaning forum for comments on politics. But thats very unlikely to be truly reflective of the actual make up based on statistics

It's just the Left tend to be the most vocal and less tolerant of differing opinions. Shout down dissent. Cancel culture is a weapon of the left but not really the right. So more social cost for those speaking up from the right
Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:00 - Sep 6 with 1679 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Sir,

I would wager the Minister for the Return of the Dickensian Era, Jacob Rees-Knobcheese, has been profiting handsomely to boot as well!

Sincerely

Col. Duncan St. John-Smith DSM, CBE (Ret.)

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:15 - Sep 6 with 1613 viewssprocket

If I was a betting man I'd give her 6-9 months until she is forced to go to the people where Tories are kicked out. A winter of fuel poverty, food banks, strikes and the Tories unable to organize a p!ss up in a brewery plus in-fighting should do for her.
Liz Truss is the new PM (n/t) on 12:19 - Sep 6 with 1604 viewsdanehoop

Liz Truss is the new PM on 11:34 - Sep 6 by Sakura

Ironic we are in an absolute mess in this country because the Tories pursued two policies most of those on the Left would have wanted any alternative government to pursue anyway: Lockdowns and the Green agenda

Whoever we voted in this last decade or so the mess would be the same. We would still be broke and still have no energy security. Unless we fix those problems everything else is window dressing

A new party will need to emerge as none of the current lot have the answers. Posters on here kidding themselves if they think Labour would do any better. Truss will fail because the energy issue can't be sorted in next two years

We haven't got enough energy and we haven't got any money left. Interest rates rising another 0.75% this month. Would love to know the stat on how many extra billions in interest we pay as a nation on that debt now

Also the publicity machine comment I find interesting. TV media you can't be talking about. GB News and Talk TV have popped up because that side of the argument wasn't being heard elsewhere.

BBC comment could have a thread of its own but would just say I strongly hold a different viewpoint to you there.

Newspapers, The Sun moves with public sentiment. Been Tory a while. And then what are we left with Mail & Telegraph vs Mirror & Guardian really. Don't see this dominance you speak of

But really social media most influential of all. More of an issue in the US with their scandalous dealings with the Hunter Biden stuff as an example. Twitter, Google, Facebook, YouTube all skewed massively to the left. Censoring those on the right far more heavily

Loftforwords to me comes across as a good example of the Lefts dominance over social media. It's heavily a left leaning forum for comments on politics. But thats very unlikely to be truly reflective of the actual make up based on statistics

It's just the Left tend to be the most vocal and less tolerant of differing opinions. Shout down dissent. Cancel culture is a weapon of the left but not really the right. So more social cost for those speaking up from the right

[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 12:20]

Never knowingly understood

Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:41 - Sep 6 with 1548 viewsnix

Lockdown did not cause the run down of UK public services. I cannot remember in my lifetime the decimation of our infrastructure. Staff are leaving the NHS in their droves and I cannot remember people saying there's no point in calling the police because they're not bothering to investigate x,y and z crime any more. The appalling and probably criminal waste of public money on track and trace and the funds to support businesses, the failure to take steps early on in the pandemic like closing borders or banning visits to particular countries or testing in care homes. You can't say that the Labour Party would have done those things if in Government.

We don't know if they would have invested in Green energy because they haven't had a chance. We've had a Government that likes to tell us that private companies do everything better. And yet we still don't have a functioning rail service, water utilities or energy despite it costing much more than publicly run services on the continent.

Truss is part of a Government that's had twelve years to sort out energy. What was their priority? Getting us out of the EU, which has really gone so brilliantly. The pound is nearly equivalent to the dollar. When I was a child it was four dollars to the pound.

As for TV GB news is an very right wing agenda, more like Fox News, not just a soft right of centre. There is no left wing equivalent. The Tory party don't want the BBC to scrutinise them at all.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/mail-online-biggest-uk-news-website-july-2021/

Even if you leave out Metro news owned by the Mail, right wing papers outnumber left of centre in views by almost three times. There's no equivalency.

It's laughable to suggest Twitter, Facebook or Google is biased towards the Left. It is crammed full of right wing conspiracy theorists, anti vaxxers etc.

And don't come up with that ridiculous idea that the right is tolerant of other people's views. Go on Twitter and put something about Keir Starmer or Gordon Brown and you'll be overwhelmed with people with Union Flags on their banner. Listen to any interview with Rees Mogg and hear the contempt with which he deals with anyone who has a slightly different view to him. There is no attempt at finding consensus . They just want to ram through anything that acts in their self interest.

I am far from being a fan of the hard left, as I started in my post, they cause more problems by Labour Party unelectable.
Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:50 - Sep 6 with 1530 viewsSydneyRs

I don't know about that, seems pretty even on here and the right are certainly not hard to find on facebook, twitter etc.

As for newspapers, aside from a brief period in the 90s when it got behind Tony Blair in a populist move, The Sun has always been tory. With Murdoch at the helm, what else would it be? Mirror the only real Labour paper with Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph all tory along with The Sun.

Don't agree that the mess would be the same. Brexit probably would not have happened for a start and the fact that it has has amplified all the problems. Firstly with the inertia for years in getting anything done with it and now trying to piece the economy back together after both that and covid lockdowns.

Social media. The right are certainly not hard to find there, facebook and twitter are full of groups. A lot of the right wing stuff, like it or not, was quite nasty and racist (got really bad after the brexit vote for a while) and needed to be censored, and yes I know there's people just as extreme on the left who we also don't need to see.

Moderate right wing views are fine. I may not agree with much of it, but can see why people think that way and parts of it make good sense (the idea of free enterprise, opportunity to grow your own business etc). Far right can do one though, hate filled morons. Same on the left, moderate left wing views make a lot of sense (social justice, decent health and education for all which ironically leads to more opportunities for people to do right wing things and better themselves), far left do not.

Ideally the sides should agree on maybe 70% of things with the remainder being their differences. They should be able to support each other's policies if those policies are good ones and good for the country. But they don't, its all tribal nonsense where opposition must oppose absolutely everything and is governed by self interest, not the good of the country.

Its about time people demanded better, instead of camping behind party lines no matter what.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 23:19]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:56 - Sep 6 with 1511 viewsJuzzie

"Whoever we voted in this last decade or so the mess would be the same. We would still be broke and still have no energy security. Unless we fix those problems everything else is window dressing"

- Covid & Putin indeed would have happened regardless who was in charge ([NB: general observation not related to any persons comment] not in 'power', governments are not in power). There were successes in the covid rollout but in the early days it was an utter disaster (that has gotten whitewashed out). £billions spent on PPE and apps that didn't work. I had no problem in tender process being foregoed to speed things up but if you're going to dish out contracts directly to your buddies at least make it work. They didn't and the taxpayer is paying again for it whilst said buddies are absolutly rolling in it.

"A new party will need to emerge as none of the current lot have the answers. Posters on here kidding themselves if they think Labour would do any better. Truss will fail because the energy issue can't be sorted in next two years"

- I'm not sure many on here think Labour would do any better, most comments I've seen suggest otherwise.

"Also the publicity machine comment I find interesting. TV media you can't be talking about. GB News and Talk TV have popped up because that side of the argument wasn't being heard elsewhere."

- The likes of GB News are just a propaganda machine. People who will watch it do so because it fulfils their own narrative and further narrows their views. I've said before on here that when people on the right complain the BBC is too left and people on the left complain it's too right, maybe it is actually giving a balanced view. People don't want balanced views, they want validation.

"It's just the Left tend to be the most vocal and less tolerant of differing opinions. Shout down dissent. Cancel culture is a weapon of the left but not really the right. So more social cost for those speaking up from the right"

- you can absolutely bet your bottom dollar that should Labour win an election any time soon anyone Conservative will be just as vocal, that's the job of the opposition view.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 13:07]
Liz Truss is the new PM on 13:03 - Sep 6 with 1476 viewsQPR_John

Liz Truss is the new PM on 12:50 - Sep 6 by SydneyRs

I don't know about that, seems pretty even on here and the right are certainly not hard to find on facebook, twitter etc.

As for newspapers, aside from a brief period in the 90s when it got behind Tony Blair in a populist move, The Sun has always been tory. With Murdoch at the helm, what else would it be? Mirror the only real Labour paper with Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph all tory along with The Sun.

Don't agree that the mess would be the same. Brexit probably would not have happened for a start and the fact that it has has amplified all the problems. Firstly with the inertia for years in getting anything done with it and now trying to piece the economy back together after both that and covid lockdowns.

Social media. The right are certainly not hard to find there, facebook and twitter are full of groups. A lot of the right wing stuff, like it or not, was quite nasty and racist (got really bad after the brexit vote for a while) and needed to be censored, and yes I know there's people just as extreme on the left who we also don't need to see.

Moderate right wing views are fine. I may not agree with much of it, but can see why people think that way and parts of it make good sense (the idea of free enterprise, opportunity to grow your own business etc). Far right can do one though, hate filled morons. Same on the left, moderate left wing views make a lot of sense (social justice, decent health and education for all which ironically leads to more opportunities for people to do right wing things and better themselves), far left do not.

Ideally the sides should agree on maybe 70% of things with the remainder being their differences. They should be able to support each other's policies if those policies are good ones and good for the country. But they don't, its all tribal nonsense where opposition must oppose absolutely everything and is governed by self interest, not the good of the country.

Its about time people demanded better, instead of camping behind party lines no matter what.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 23:19]

“ Brexit probably would not have happened for a start ”.

Is that because Labour would have not have had a referendum or they would have ignored the result

Good point about the hard left and right
[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 13:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024