Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Act three – Report 18:10 - Mar 10 with 4138 viewsNorthernr

Meh.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62117
Act three – Report on 19:16 - Mar 10 with 3847 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks Clive.

Agree with pretty much all of that, and certainly agree with the tone of it. We could have won that game with the early surge, but even early on it looked less controlled than of late - a touch Warburtonian through the wide-open middle - and certainly less controlled than the games against Leicester or West Brom. As the game went on we looked up against it mentally and physically. Passes were not as snappy, touches were a bit heavy, shoulders were a bit closed. We were on our heels, not on our toes.

A recovery day today, and maybe even a recovery day tomorrow, then a full week preparing for Sunderland, and - again, a touch Warburtonian - we'll hopefully see our better form and fitness return.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Act three – Report on 19:47 - Mar 10 with 3692 viewsAndybrat

Perfect balance Clive. I had a sore throat after Wednesday, yesterday not even a tickle, so like a lot of those round me I was also guilty of not bringing my A game. Reset and start again
Act three – Report on 20:13 - Mar 10 with 3588 viewsDorse

Can't argue with any of that. For me, the first half felt pretty darn good but the second? (Insert Marge Simpson groan here).

Still with the Marti Party. 'What an atmosphere, I love a Marti with a happy atmosphere...' (needs work)

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Act three – Report on 20:18 - Mar 10 with 3551 viewsnix

Yep, guilty as charged, I do briefly think I'm Ron Manager after a loss.

Then I get a grip and realise Marti knows waaayyyy more than I do. But it does help to get the disappointment out of my system.

Huddersfield and Swansea both losing helped a bit.
Act three – Report on 20:23 - Mar 10 with 3528 viewsQPsyR

It's always always the fkn fkn same
Since 1976 FFS
Cnts
Great report Clive.

I really need to get back to Goa lol

[Post edited 15 Mar 23:32]

FKA AcidPixie

Act three – Report on 20:43 - Mar 10 with 3440 viewsParkRoyalR

Act three – Report on 20:18 - Mar 10 by nix

Yep, guilty as charged, I do briefly think I'm Ron Manager after a loss.

Then I get a grip and realise Marti knows waaayyyy more than I do. But it does help to get the disappointment out of my system.

Huddersfield and Swansea both losing helped a bit.

Nix you might be on a caution whereas I'm rightly guilty as charged,

So best I save why we should just go straight to a 3-5-2 when chasing a game rather than what seems a 20 minutes 4-1-4-1 and then a last 10 minute 3-5-2 for another time,

Hopefully after a win at Sunderland (by the way do rate Marti highly but it's a crazy season at the bottom and we're running out of games to get clear before our head2head cup finals with the likes of Birmingham + Plymouth which none of us fancy)
Act three – Report on 21:20 - Mar 10 with 3309 viewsManinBlack

I appreciate West Brom had an extra day of rest but they were impressive in the second half today. Oddly they looked spent in the first half but got stronger the longer it went on. In comparison our delicate flowers wilted in the second half. Using cliche's, it is often said that if you have to run around chasing the ball it is more energy sapping than having the ball. We ran them ragged in the second half so they should have been even more tired than us if you believe that claim about not having the ball. Over the last two seasons we have questioned the fitness levels of our
boys compared to other clubs.

We have seen how Neil Harris has transformed Millwall winning 1-0 twice at home against fellow strugglers Stoke and Birmingham, something we find hard to do ie winning at home, keeping clean sheets, beating teams around us. Throw in a 2-1 win at Southampton too and that is only one goal conceded. By contrast our strikers are still struggling to score which puts pressure on our defence and we are regularly shipping two goals at Loftus Road.

I accept we have played very well and ok at home this week in the two games but the harsh reality is we have dropped 5 more points at our place and conceded another four goals. I won't be betting on us keeping clean sheets against Birmingham and Wednesday if the hopelessly marooned Rotherham can score at our place. Since their visit the Millers have played two more away games and lost both 5-0. And yes I am a hard taskmaster and I won't go soft on our team for the suffering they have inflicted on us for the past two years.
Act three – Report on 21:42 - Mar 10 with 3204 viewsParkRoyalR

Act three – Report on 21:20 - Mar 10 by ManinBlack

I appreciate West Brom had an extra day of rest but they were impressive in the second half today. Oddly they looked spent in the first half but got stronger the longer it went on. In comparison our delicate flowers wilted in the second half. Using cliche's, it is often said that if you have to run around chasing the ball it is more energy sapping than having the ball. We ran them ragged in the second half so they should have been even more tired than us if you believe that claim about not having the ball. Over the last two seasons we have questioned the fitness levels of our

We have seen how Neil Harris has transformed Millwall winning 1-0 twice at home against fellow strugglers Stoke and Birmingham, something we find hard to do ie winning at home, keeping clean sheets, beating teams around us. Throw in a 2-1 win at Southampton too and that is only one goal conceded. By contrast our strikers are still struggling to score which puts pressure on our defence and we are regularly shipping two goals at Loftus Road.

I accept we have played very well and ok at home this week in the two games but the harsh reality is we have dropped 5 more points at our place and conceded another four goals. I won't be betting on us keeping clean sheets against Birmingham and Wednesday if the hopelessly marooned Rotherham can score at our place. Since their visit the Millers have played two more away games and lost both 5-0. And yes I am a hard taskmaster and I won't go soft on our team for the suffering they have inflicted on us for the past two years.

Fair points but I didn't think we ran out of energy and as Millwall have proved twice recently 1-0 is still worth 3 points as much as 2-1 is,

We were a low-scoring team before return of a match-fit Willock and signing Andersen who has 3 proper assists in maybe 4 or 5 games, so we can score 2 goals a game and hopefully keep it tight at the back to get the 3 points we need in coming games.
Login to get fewer ads

Act three – Report on 22:27 - Mar 10 with 3008 viewsnix

Act three – Report on 20:43 - Mar 10 by ParkRoyalR

Nix you might be on a caution whereas I'm rightly guilty as charged,

So best I save why we should just go straight to a 3-5-2 when chasing a game rather than what seems a 20 minutes 4-1-4-1 and then a last 10 minute 3-5-2 for another time,

Hopefully after a win at Sunderland (by the way do rate Marti highly but it's a crazy season at the bottom and we're running out of games to get clear before our head2head cup finals with the likes of Birmingham + Plymouth which none of us fancy)

I don't even pretend to know about formations, so I'll leave that to you Park. But you're right about Sunderland. Apart from anything else, I can't take the stress of a last match must-win to stay up.

Gawd blimey fellas, can you just win FFS? My ticker can't take it.
Act three – Report on 23:21 - Mar 10 with 2842 viewscolinallcars

Agree with report & above comments. I felt like bangin' me ‘ead against the wall on leaving.

Why does it have to be like this ?

My wife thinks I've lost it.
Act three – Report on 01:09 - Mar 11 with 2740 viewsHooparoo

Act three – Report on 19:16 - Mar 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks Clive.

Agree with pretty much all of that, and certainly agree with the tone of it. We could have won that game with the early surge, but even early on it looked less controlled than of late - a touch Warburtonian through the wide-open middle - and certainly less controlled than the games against Leicester or West Brom. As the game went on we looked up against it mentally and physically. Passes were not as snappy, touches were a bit heavy, shoulders were a bit closed. We were on our heels, not on our toes.

A recovery day today, and maybe even a recovery day tomorrow, then a full week preparing for Sunderland, and - again, a touch Warburtonian - we'll hopefully see our better form and fitness return.

Sorry Brian, just accidentally downvoted you. Trying to do the opposite (obviously). One of my best mates is a Cork man and he once said to me when we were discussing Roy Keane “Never piss off a Cork man” I’ve somehow managed to do it to you twice in 24 hours which was never my intention.

Sorry mate 🙋🏻‍♂️

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Act three – Report on 09:50 - Mar 11 with 2291 viewsEastR

They were there for the taking in the first 20 mins but we failed to take advantage. After that Chair, Frey, Field looked shot and we lost the midfield space completely. They were by far the worst team we played in this 3 will be pinching themselves that they left with 3 points.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Act three – Report on 10:17 - Mar 11 with 2213 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Act three – Report on 01:09 - Mar 11 by Hooparoo

Sorry Brian, just accidentally downvoted you. Trying to do the opposite (obviously). One of my best mates is a Cork man and he once said to me when we were discussing Roy Keane “Never piss off a Cork man” I’ve somehow managed to do it to you twice in 24 hours which was never my intention.

Sorry mate 🙋🏻‍♂️

No hassle at all Hooparoo. Peace out!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Act three – Report on 10:18 - Mar 11 with 2205 viewsNorthernr

Act three – Report on 09:50 - Mar 11 by EastR

They were there for the taking in the first 20 mins but we failed to take advantage. After that Chair, Frey, Field looked shot and we lost the midfield space completely. They were by far the worst team we played in this 3 will be pinching themselves that they left with 3 points.

The more I've thought about it the more I've wondered if that was the plan, as Brian says. We know we're knackered but let's just go all out first 30 mins, try and get in front, because that then changes Carrick's standard game plan entirely, they have to come out, and it's then ripe for Smyth, Armstrong etc.
Act three – Report on 11:05 - Mar 11 with 2035 viewsngbqpr

After that unexpected end to the transfer window, it's clear MC now has his core group; and seems to have opted for 4231.

GK - Begovic
As discussed - we're not in a position to do anything else.

Defence
Dunne Cook JCS Paal now looks pretty set in stone if available, and he has mentioned that he'll rotate less at the back.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cannon only missed Bristol as sick - a permanent fixture on the bench, so presumably still in the core.
Fox & Larkeche - cameos only.

CDM
Field Colback Hayden
Rotate 2 from 3.

CAM / wingers
3 from Chair Willock Smyth Hodge Andersen

Striker
Dykes Frey Armstrong

Kakay, Drewe, Adomah, Richards and it seems now EDB all jettisoned as he sticks to that group of 19...arguably it's 17 really given Fox & Larkeche's limited minutes.

So 16 outfield players which includes 3 strikers none of whom are remotely prolific, Willock where we all know about the injury and contract situation, Andersen with very limited game time for a good couple of years, Hodge who is very young and himself lacking minutes after a serious injury, Dunne learning a new position, Cannon who has blown pretty hot & cold, and Smyth in what is really his first full season at this level.

So the spine is whichever 2 from the 3 CDMs aren't suspended / knackered...hoping Cook and JCS stay fit...hoping Chair can keep going and not be overly distracted by the very serious off field issues hanging over him...with arguably Paal literally the only player with no question mark hanging over one or more of his fitness / attitude / experience / positional knowledge / temperament / off field issues.

That Marti has achieved what he has in those circumstances is seriously impressive - as he is in every single interview.

But it means games like this one will come along a fair bit.

As Clive has often said, we regularly seem to play at the level of the opposition - well if you split the division into 3 x 8, we have 3 from the top & bottom 8s and 2 from the middle in the remaining fixtures.

I haven't really got a clue what to expect - but I'd rather be us than Huddersfield, Birmingham, Stoke, Blackburn or Plymouth right now.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Act three – Report on 11:48 - Mar 11 with 1914 viewsCateLeBonR

Thanks Clive. I liked the look of the Andersen/Smyth partnership with some nice interplays on the right second half. One move in particular where great play by Smyth put Andersen through and he drilled in a perfect cross but only Dunne got close to it I think. I’ve not seen it on any of the replays yet but it deserved a goal I thought.
Act three – Report on 13:06 - Mar 11 with 1704 viewswestberksr

nailed it Clive....

i thought the first half hour we looked great but just didn't get the breakthrough; after that it all started to get a bit tired and suited Boro, who primarily seemed determined to not lose.

the rest all fell into place for them
Act three – Report on 13:42 - Mar 11 with 1588 viewsTheChef

Act three – Report on 11:05 - Mar 11 by ngbqpr

After that unexpected end to the transfer window, it's clear MC now has his core group; and seems to have opted for 4231.

GK - Begovic
As discussed - we're not in a position to do anything else.

Defence
Dunne Cook JCS Paal now looks pretty set in stone if available, and he has mentioned that he'll rotate less at the back.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cannon only missed Bristol as sick - a permanent fixture on the bench, so presumably still in the core.
Fox & Larkeche - cameos only.

CDM
Field Colback Hayden
Rotate 2 from 3.

CAM / wingers
3 from Chair Willock Smyth Hodge Andersen

Striker
Dykes Frey Armstrong

Kakay, Drewe, Adomah, Richards and it seems now EDB all jettisoned as he sticks to that group of 19...arguably it's 17 really given Fox & Larkeche's limited minutes.

So 16 outfield players which includes 3 strikers none of whom are remotely prolific, Willock where we all know about the injury and contract situation, Andersen with very limited game time for a good couple of years, Hodge who is very young and himself lacking minutes after a serious injury, Dunne learning a new position, Cannon who has blown pretty hot & cold, and Smyth in what is really his first full season at this level.

So the spine is whichever 2 from the 3 CDMs aren't suspended / knackered...hoping Cook and JCS stay fit...hoping Chair can keep going and not be overly distracted by the very serious off field issues hanging over him...with arguably Paal literally the only player with no question mark hanging over one or more of his fitness / attitude / experience / positional knowledge / temperament / off field issues.

That Marti has achieved what he has in those circumstances is seriously impressive - as he is in every single interview.

But it means games like this one will come along a fair bit.

As Clive has often said, we regularly seem to play at the level of the opposition - well if you split the division into 3 x 8, we have 3 from the top & bottom 8s and 2 from the middle in the remaining fixtures.

I haven't really got a clue what to expect - but I'd rather be us than Huddersfield, Birmingham, Stoke, Blackburn or Plymouth right now.

Four games, four weeks. Not absolutely critical but of course at least a couple of wins from those four games will help. Although this QPR side is currently very good at bringing themselves down to the level of their opposition.

Interesting on the squad rotation you mention, my feeling is Chair's minutes could be managed better now (aside from Ramadan/court case), he's already played a huge amount this season, is he starting to the hit the wall?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Act three – Report on 14:04 - Mar 11 with 1534 viewsAntti_Heinola

Act three – Report on 21:20 - Mar 10 by ManinBlack

Rotherham is just cherry picking.
They scored 3 at potential champions Ipswich just before they played us. That defeat, and our one, clearly knocked the stuffing out of them.

Bare bones.

Act three – Report on 14:38 - Mar 11 with 1418 viewsQPR_Jim

Act three – Report on 14:04 - Mar 11 by Antti_Heinola

Rotherham is just cherry picking.
They scored 3 at potential champions Ipswich just before they played us. That defeat, and our one, clearly knocked the stuffing out of them.

Sheffield Wednesday didn't have an easy time against them either.

The championship always seems to have a side that's cut adrift at the bottom/already relegated that just starts wining matches for seemingly no reason at all. So I wouldn't be surprised if Rotherham cause some upsets before the end of the season.
Act three – Report on 21:04 - Mar 11 with 1045 viewsManinBlack

Act three – Report on 14:38 - Mar 11 by QPR_Jim

Sheffield Wednesday didn't have an easy time against them either.

The championship always seems to have a side that's cut adrift at the bottom/already relegated that just starts wining matches for seemingly no reason at all. So I wouldn't be surprised if Rotherham cause some upsets before the end of the season.

Yes but I was talking about Rotherham playing away and our sub standard home form. By and large Rotherham do better on their own pitch hence why Sheffield Wednesday were tested in a South Yorkshire derby. If people want to say I am cherry picking with Rotherham it is because they are the only team in the Championship with a worse home record than us. Where we differ with them is our vastly superior away record.

Marti has done wonders with the playing style and our away performances and is to be congratulated. However what he hasn't been able to do yet is get more goals from our strikers, more home wins or stop the continuous flow of goals into our net at home.

I cherry picked Millwall as well because their new manager in four games has shored up their defence where they have only conceded two goals. He has made an instant impact and somehow got them to keep clean sheets in his first two home games when they looked terrible at our place only a few weeks ago. Of course I mistakenly said they won 1-0 against Stoke and Birmingham when it was actually Watford and Birmingham. I am still waiting for Marti to find a cure for our home defensive woes.

We are at the stage of the season where it is results, not performances, that now matter. We were brilliant against West Brom but we didn't win. Millwall have won four home games 1-0. We have not won any home game 1-0 which is highly unusual as it is one of the more common results.

I have picked out Millwall as a comparison because they struggle scoring like we do as both of us have scored 36 goals this season. When you are not prolific scorers than grinding out 1-0 wins is vital but because we keep leaking goals at home it is very difficult for us to score two or more to win with strikers who rarely score. Are we capable of grinding out one goal victories over Birmingham and Sheffield at home in what could be very scrappy and tense games? On what I have seen from us this season the answer is no. I don't trust our keeper for a start to not gift a goal or two in the run in...
Act three – Report on 09:06 - Mar 12 with 814 viewsTheChef

Act three – Report on 21:04 - Mar 11 by ManinBlack

Yes but I was talking about Rotherham playing away and our sub standard home form. By and large Rotherham do better on their own pitch hence why Sheffield Wednesday were tested in a South Yorkshire derby. If people want to say I am cherry picking with Rotherham it is because they are the only team in the Championship with a worse home record than us. Where we differ with them is our vastly superior away record.

Marti has done wonders with the playing style and our away performances and is to be congratulated. However what he hasn't been able to do yet is get more goals from our strikers, more home wins or stop the continuous flow of goals into our net at home.

I cherry picked Millwall as well because their new manager in four games has shored up their defence where they have only conceded two goals. He has made an instant impact and somehow got them to keep clean sheets in his first two home games when they looked terrible at our place only a few weeks ago. Of course I mistakenly said they won 1-0 against Stoke and Birmingham when it was actually Watford and Birmingham. I am still waiting for Marti to find a cure for our home defensive woes.

We are at the stage of the season where it is results, not performances, that now matter. We were brilliant against West Brom but we didn't win. Millwall have won four home games 1-0. We have not won any home game 1-0 which is highly unusual as it is one of the more common results.

I have picked out Millwall as a comparison because they struggle scoring like we do as both of us have scored 36 goals this season. When you are not prolific scorers than grinding out 1-0 wins is vital but because we keep leaking goals at home it is very difficult for us to score two or more to win with strikers who rarely score. Are we capable of grinding out one goal victories over Birmingham and Sheffield at home in what could be very scrappy and tense games? On what I have seen from us this season the answer is no. I don't trust our keeper for a start to not gift a goal or two in the run in...

Well you look at the table for results/form since Marti came in and we are comfortably mid table so kudos to him for the turnaround.

But of course we're still at the sharp end and we are stymied by the quality of our strikers (although Frey has improved this) and our goalkeeper (where we don't have any better option unfortunately).

A few more goals from midfield would help.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Act three – Report on 09:38 - Mar 12 with 723 viewsAntti_Heinola

Act three – Report on 21:04 - Mar 11 by ManinBlack

Good luck to Millwall, they should stay up now, annoyingly. but if anyone thinks Harris, who has been appalling everywhere, is anything other than a stickingh plaster, they're deluding themselves. another season of struggle next season for them.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024