Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report 23:27 - Mar 17 with 6020 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62157
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 23:36 - Mar 17 with 4681 viewsdaveB

Thought the Anderson one early on was a better chance than Willocks, complete open goal when he gets the ball but he takes a touch waits and then hits it straight at the keeper

Willock should score as well to be honest. he seemed off balance as he hit it

Dykes played in slow motion at times, his lack of any intensity with the press was so poor especially when they looked a nervous wreck at the back when they had the ball
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 00:02 - Mar 18 with 4576 viewscolinallcars

I've got a horrible feelng this could be the Norwich away type game that typifies our season. God, I hope not.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 07:42 - Mar 18 with 4003 viewsstevec

The scary thing is, at this place, Dykes is probably only one half decent goal away from being granted another ‘four more years’.

The problem with 90 minutes playing Armstrong on his own up front is that he’s not an on his own up front type of player.

We really should be moulding him as an Armand Traore Wolves type of footballer. At the moment Chair/Willock stands full square in the way of that happening. His best work is undoubtedly bowling down the flanks and getting in behind defences. At the moment, with one up front, that means he’s always crossing to midfielders and the inevitable outcome of missed chances.

Get a CF in with an instinct for goals and teach Armstrong a wide midfield role. With two good holding central midfielders this should be achievable.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 08:18 - Mar 18 with 3876 viewsderbyhoop

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 07:42 - Mar 18 by stevec

The scary thing is, at this place, Dykes is probably only one half decent goal away from being granted another ‘four more years’.

The problem with 90 minutes playing Armstrong on his own up front is that he’s not an on his own up front type of player.

We really should be moulding him as an Armand Traore Wolves type of footballer. At the moment Chair/Willock stands full square in the way of that happening. His best work is undoubtedly bowling down the flanks and getting in behind defences. At the moment, with one up front, that means he’s always crossing to midfielders and the inevitable outcome of missed chances.

Get a CF in with an instinct for goals and teach Armstrong a wide midfield role. With two good holding central midfielders this should be achievable.

I get what you say about Armstrong but a CF with an instinct for goals we haven't got. Nor can we afford to go out and buy one - without some serious research. Tom Cannon, IMHO, 1 of 2 best strikers we played against last season, was sold to Leicester for £8m and has made 3 starts. ATM, our best option looks like Frey, if he's fit. Armstrong as an impact sub.
Kolli is injured, Kelman out on loan and not good enough and nobody else through Academy.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 08:29 - Mar 18 with 3823 viewsgazza1

Before the game a point isn't that bad although we are good enough to go to teams like Sunderland an win.....after the match you look and think we should be getting three points.

Until we sign a decent striker who are going to score some goals then we are going to struggle, saying that our midfielders had good opportunities to score goals as well and win us the game.

Very pleased with the way the 'boys' are playing and applying themselves......onward and upwards.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 09:02 - Mar 18 with 3678 viewsTheChef

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 23:36 - Mar 17 by daveB

Thought the Anderson one early on was a better chance than Willocks, complete open goal when he gets the ball but he takes a touch waits and then hits it straight at the keeper

Dykes played in slow motion at times, his lack of any intensity with the press was so poor especially when they looked a nervous wreck at the back when they had the ball

I thought the same re the Andersen chance but looking at the replay there was a defender in front of him so he did need a touch to shift the ball. But then he didn't connect well enough (put enough minge on it, I believe they say around here) or aim for inside the post, it was a pretty much straight down the middle in the end.

Also the Willock chance, Armstrong plays an OK cutback (for once) but it's at pace and slightly behind Willock so to be fair he does well to get it on target. Of course with a longer stud, he probably scores the rebound...

Nuff said about Dykes. Given the gap till the Birmingham game I don't know why Frey couldn't have started but the medical team knows best?

Feels like two points dropped but hey I suppose you take a point away...still not seen us win this season. Sorry.

On the plus side a nice pint of Samson and a Pukka balti pie before the game (don't know why LR dropped them as pie supplier )

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 09:17 - Mar 18 with 3621 viewsEastR

Frustrating result that, especially as 3-4 wins likely good enough which becomes 2-3 if we capitalise against poor opponents.

All these ‘cup finals’, we’re not losing but going to extra, extra, extra time and potentially a dreaded shoot out.
Not good for the nerves.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 09:34 - Mar 18 with 3564 viewsTeddRanger

"Mike Dodds, who looks like that sort of nightmare dad who manages the village U9s side in an initialled tracksuit. "

...Had me proper LOLIng!

PS As much as we might reflect on a miss here and and points dropped there, every other set of fans in the relegation mix will have a similar litany of missed chances/bad luck/if onlys
Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 12:12 - Mar 18 with 3109 viewskensalriser

That's three games now and the only name on the score sheet is Sam Field.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 13:18 - Mar 18 with 2909 viewsNoelmc

Thanks Clive. Let’s hope these ‘2 dropped points’ do not cost us at the end of the season.

Loved the Mrs Doyle analogy for the referee.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 13:27 - Mar 18 with 2887 viewsManinBlack

The infuriating aspect of all this is when we were dire under Ainsworth Sunderland showed no mercy in stuffing us at Loftus Road. When the boot is on the other foot with Sunderland in dire form we let them off. Armstrong did make a difference but all his shots were powder puff and straight at the keeper. He needed to shoot across the keeper but kept aiming for the near post.

Even if we face another opponent as inept as Sunderland do we have the firepower to win? Very frustrating no wins since Leicester and two blanks against Boro and Sunderland. Most opponents we face now have something to play for as things stand so this was two points dropped against a low on confidence outfit.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 13:40 - Mar 18 with 2815 views89_50

While I don't mind Dykes and appreciate his effort and running when he does do it, his lack of anticipation will always be a frustrating point.

I've mentioned it before, but I believe his coming to football later in life and lack of a proper 'football education' is something than cannot be legislated for.

No amount of coaching at this stage in his career will alter that, unfortunately.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 13:48 - Mar 18 with 2780 viewsNorthernr

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 13:40 - Mar 18 by 89_50

While I don't mind Dykes and appreciate his effort and running when he does do it, his lack of anticipation will always be a frustrating point.

I've mentioned it before, but I believe his coming to football later in life and lack of a proper 'football education' is something than cannot be legislated for.

No amount of coaching at this stage in his career will alter that, unfortunately.

The point I keep coming back to is Preston away - when all the problems with his football brain and lack of anticipation etc were still there, but he was effective because he was physical with their centre backs and he ran hard and put himself about. You don't have to be that good or confident or anything to do that, and he can do it, which makes performances like Saturday's even more difficult to work out.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 14:51 - Mar 18 with 2564 viewslassel

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 23:36 - Mar 17 by daveB

Andersen was a bit of a nothing finish really. Either you leather it at the far corner or you go back across the keeper. In the end he tried to place it and got nowhere near the corner.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:10 - Mar 18 with 2498 viewsParkRoyalR

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 13:48 - Mar 18 by Northernr

The point I keep coming back to is Preston away - when all the problems with his football brain and lack of anticipation etc were still there, but he was effective because he was physical with their centre backs and he ran hard and put himself about. You don't have to be that good or confident or anything to do that, and he can do it, which makes performances like Saturday's even more difficult to work out.

I watched Dykes twice closely when coming on as Sub in recent home games, first game was very effective in winning headers in final third etc, second game, apart from one decent defensive header at far post, offered nothing for the 15 minutes he was on the pitch..

Minimum I expect from a Sub in the last 15 minutes is to effectively press and be an out-ball for our defence, but just seemed to be lacking in energy and just does'nt seem to be as physically as strong as he was last season.

Not sure whether this is a post covid / pneumonia fatigue or being coached to be more effective with his running, as seems to be the case with Armstrong, but its not what we need.

Not sure if they (Dykes, Chair etc) are struggling with new fitness regime as we do look fitter under Cifuentes than we were previously, and just strange players who played more games last season are now suddenly looking jaded (eg Chair had AFCON rest, Dykes is being rotated, these two should'nt be looking tired)

Either way, up until Saturday, I thought he was the best option to start as can be a more effective foil for the 10's than Frey & Armstrong and the 10's are our most likely source of goals rather than our target man.

Had some decent games recently but as you say, we need him to get back to Preston away level as a minimum if he's to start and we are to stay up.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:43 - Mar 18 with 2443 viewsTheChef

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:10 - Mar 18 by ParkRoyalR

I watched Dykes twice closely when coming on as Sub in recent home games, first game was very effective in winning headers in final third etc, second game, apart from one decent defensive header at far post, offered nothing for the 15 minutes he was on the pitch..

Minimum I expect from a Sub in the last 15 minutes is to effectively press and be an out-ball for our defence, but just seemed to be lacking in energy and just does'nt seem to be as physically as strong as he was last season.

Not sure whether this is a post covid / pneumonia fatigue or being coached to be more effective with his running, as seems to be the case with Armstrong, but its not what we need.

Not sure if they (Dykes, Chair etc) are struggling with new fitness regime as we do look fitter under Cifuentes than we were previously, and just strange players who played more games last season are now suddenly looking jaded (eg Chair had AFCON rest, Dykes is being rotated, these two should'nt be looking tired)

Either way, up until Saturday, I thought he was the best option to start as can be a more effective foil for the 10's than Frey & Armstrong and the 10's are our most likely source of goals rather than our target man.

Had some decent games recently but as you say, we need him to get back to Preston away level as a minimum if he's to start and we are to stay up.

Trying to be kind to Dykes here - although I feel his time is run as an out and out striker leading the line.

What we've seen is he benefits from early crosses into the box, at pace (like, er, Kakay used to do). Now for some time he's often made early runs, looked for those balls, but they've hardly ever got to him. Largely because the likes of Willock and Chair have been unwilling to play those early balls and would rather hold the ball for longer, check back, keep working the ball to feet, than risk slinging it into the box.

We're now at the stage where he doesn't seem to know what to do, and with the addition of Andersen he is more attuned to how Chair/Willock play than Dykes. And he's not even willing to put himself about physically and give the CBs something to think about.

Maybe Cifuentes feels he can still mould him into some kind of attacking midfield playmaker, like he's played recently? Otherwise I think he'll benefit from a move and start afresh somewhere else.

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:53 - Mar 18 with 2403 viewsParkRoyalR

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:43 - Mar 18 by TheChef

Trying to be kind to Dykes here - although I feel his time is run as an out and out striker leading the line.

What we've seen is he benefits from early crosses into the box, at pace (like, er, Kakay used to do). Now for some time he's often made early runs, looked for those balls, but they've hardly ever got to him. Largely because the likes of Willock and Chair have been unwilling to play those early balls and would rather hold the ball for longer, check back, keep working the ball to feet, than risk slinging it into the box.

We're now at the stage where he doesn't seem to know what to do, and with the addition of Andersen he is more attuned to how Chair/Willock play than Dykes. And he's not even willing to put himself about physically and give the CBs something to think about.

Maybe Cifuentes feels he can still mould him into some kind of attacking midfield playmaker, like he's played recently? Otherwise I think he'll benefit from a move and start afresh somewhere else.

Was effective as recently as Leicester City & Bristol City away but we can't afford any more flat performances from him or anyone else in the run-in.

Agree with Northern (and Roy Keane) don't wait for the game to come to you, get a few of those flying Aussie Rules jumps in early in the game and set your standard for the whole game.

Reckon he's not the most confident (thought similar personality trait held Matt Philips back in his career) and probably suffers a bit from Imposter Syndrome having come to the game late and playing alongside big characters like Austin, but Austin supported and improved his movement in the box and its up to him to now benefit from Andersen's early balls and just get stuck in.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:56 - Mar 18 with 2401 viewsTheChef

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:53 - Mar 18 by ParkRoyalR

Was effective as recently as Leicester City & Bristol City away but we can't afford any more flat performances from him or anyone else in the run-in.

Agree with Northern (and Roy Keane) don't wait for the game to come to you, get a few of those flying Aussie Rules jumps in early in the game and set your standard for the whole game.

Reckon he's not the most confident (thought similar personality trait held Matt Philips back in his career) and probably suffers a bit from Imposter Syndrome having come to the game late and playing alongside big characters like Austin, but Austin supported and improved his movement in the box and its up to him to now benefit from Andersen's early balls and just get stuck in.

Hmmm yeah covering himself in all those tattoos as well - reckon a psychologist would have a field day with him.

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 16:15 - Mar 18 with 2363 viewsdaveB

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:53 - Mar 18 by ParkRoyalR

the issue I had with his Saturday was his work rate which isn't normally a problem, he was just so slow closing players down, walking most of the time. He was clearly under instructions for where to be without the ball same as previous games as he took up positions to block space rather than run around aimlessly but when it was time to press he never did it, i find him incredibly frustrating.

The plan to start him for an hour run his nuts off then bring on Armstrong exploit the space is one I agree with and would do it again for Swansea but Dykes needs to do his role a lot better
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 16:57 - Mar 18 with 2249 viewsParkRoyalR

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 16:15 - Mar 18 by daveB

the issue I had with his Saturday was his work rate which isn't normally a problem, he was just so slow closing players down, walking most of the time. He was clearly under instructions for where to be without the ball same as previous games as he took up positions to block space rather than run around aimlessly but when it was time to press he never did it, i find him incredibly frustrating.

The plan to start him for an hour run his nuts off then bring on Armstrong exploit the space is one I agree with and would do it again for Swansea but Dykes needs to do his role a lot better

Agree, before Saturday my preference was to start Dykes in a 4-2-3-1 and if we can get ahead, I'd keep him on late into the game due to his usual pressing game and presence defending set-pieces (seeing as likes of Cardiff & Millwall etc score a fairly unbelievable 40% of their goals via set-pieces!)

Agree, I'd give it another go as not sure whats happening with his (and Armstrong's) pressing of late but for it suddenly to be both of them in recent games must be an instruction from the Manager to let certain opponents have the ball in certain areas, otherwise it goes against the grain as those two normally put a shift in (but then how do you explain Frey charging around like a bull the other night, other than making up for missed penalty, all a bit confusing).

But that's just pressing, with Andersen in the team and Willock back fit we need to see more of those runs similar to 1st goal at Leicester and being a foil for the 10's.

My preference if chasing the game is to bring on Frey & Armstrong and go straight to a 3-5-2 rather than this interim 4-1-4-1 we seem to play between the 60th and 80th minutes, as just not sure it gives us the width we need to get behind teams like Boro when they get 10 men behind the ball.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 17:10 - Mar 18 with 2218 viewsTheChef

Sorry but if Frey is fully fit then he starts ahead of Dykes.

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 17:24 - Mar 18 with 2155 viewsRangersw12

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 16:15 - Mar 18 by daveB

If you actually watch him closely that's his normal work rate he does just about enough to look like he's making an effort when in reality he's at 50%
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 19:02 - Mar 18 with 1925 viewsBurnleyhoop

Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 15:43 - Mar 18 by TheChef

Chef, you are indeed being too kind.

His stats are shocking and have got worse from one season to the next. With the obvious exception of Park Royal who remains convinced he makes a positive contribution, pretty much everyone else believes it’s time for him to move on.

I’d be flabbergasted if Cifuentes starts him again this season, I think he and us have seen more than enough.
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report on 19:04 - Mar 18 with 1922 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

You folk are far more generous than me ….any patience I had with Dykes has gone completely in the last few months. He will NEVER be a championship level striker.

He is always in the wrong place. Has the first touch of a trampoline and now doesn’t even get stuck in.

You say Chair and Willock don’t pass to him - but would you? I know I wouldn’t. If by some fluke he was in the right place in the box with space he’d miss or not even get a shot away.

Marti is working miracles so I’m his biggest fan, but his picking of Dykes is a mystery. And by the way I’m not saying Sinclair is the answer because he has limited abilities too…but at least he scares defences when used at the right time.

Until we’ve seen more of Kolli, we have one proper striker and that is the old, slightly unfit, and immobile Frey. I might be a bit harsh but that is the case.

The other option is to play none of them at 9 and put someone else there?!
Dunne anyone?!
Sunderland stalemate keeps Rangers hanging – Report (n/t) on 19:23 - Mar 18 with 1890 viewsphegarty

Totally agree with Philothesuperhoop. Like the trampoline line!
[Post edited 18 Mar 19:29]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024