Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
01:00 - Jan 1 with views

David Camerons hypocrisy on 08:13 - May 12 with 1224 viewssaint22

Cameron in 'help my mates out' shocker
The guy is a fooking coont

David Camerons hypocrisy on 08:56 - May 12 with 1206 viewssaintjeff52

Firstly, Barlow and others like him have done NOTHING wrong. They pay millions in Tax each Year, more than everyone on TUI pay in a lifetime.
If they can legally find a way to pay as little Tax as they have to, then good luck to them. I repeat, they have done nothing wrong.
I paid the extortionate amount of £3740, plus the extra Tax on my small savings, which accrues a shit interest rate by the way.
We all have to pay Taxes, unless on Benefits etc, which the rest of us fund, and because I am PAYE, I have little or no opportunity to reduce the amount I pay.

David Camerons hypocrisy on 09:01 - May 12 with 1201 viewsbarry_sanchez

If he has done nothing wrong why does he and others have to pay some money back?

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

David Camerons hypocrisy on 09:08 - May 12 with 1191 viewssaintjeff52

He DOESN'T. People are trying to claim the moral high ground and suggest that he doesn't continue with his lawful conduct and pay even more Tax than he does already.
IT IS NOT THE DUTY OF US ALL TO PAY AS MUCH TAX AS POSSIBLE !!!

David Camerons hypocrisy on 10:17 - May 12 with 1158 viewsMytchettSaint

If you only paid nearly four grand in tax last year you're doing fairly well at not paying much anyway!

As for your point about him not doing much wrong, you're right.

Cameron suggested we were all in this together though....some animals are more equal than others.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

David Camerons hypocrisy on 10:26 - May 12 with 1142 viewsSt_Guido

"some animals are more equal than others"

Its a fact of life

Poll: What would you choose as our Football Club's official name?

David Camerons hypocrisy on 11:01 - May 12 with 1109 viewswebberg

I'll give you a (personal) view as somebody who has been involved in this sector for the last 30+ years. In that time I've worked for HMRC, an accountancy practice, big companies and a firm the designs tax planning structures.

Firstly, tax is NOT a moral or ethical issue. It is a political and legal subject. Tax laws are not based on a single person's moral code. However, lazy, incompetent or stupid politicians mainly can't be bothered to make good law that achieves what they intend. Instead they pass on incomplete descriptions to civil servants who are tasked with delivering complicated political objectives in the fastest and cheapest way they can. The Civil Service officers do a good job but most of the time trying to interpret a slippery politico's ideas in something that works is like wrestling eels in a pool of jelly.

Secondly, newspapers love to print pictures of celebrities on their front page to sell newspapers. If that celebrity has somehow fallen below some imagined standard, a standard that their readers always obtain of course, then so much the better. The Times journalist who has been writing on this subject for a few years now believes he is on some moral crusade "on behalf of the people". As I've pointed out to him on several meetings, he would be better investigating the owners of newspapers and the low amounts of tax paid by them if he wants a story.

Thirdly, rich people attract those wanting publicity. It's a means of attracting attention and that if the lifeblood of politicians in particular. Cameron came out and said that Jimmy Carr should be hung, drawn and quartered for tax avoiding so he has no choice now about St Gary of Barlow.

Lastly, good politics almost always makes for bad law. For my own experience many people who enter tax planning schemes do so because they're greedy. Some have moral justifications and some have genuine need for the cash (often to support or expand a business which in turn creates more tax for HMG). These people often cite the fact that if HMG used their taxes in ways that they found acceptable, then they would pay up. A dubious claim but a valid point that tax is a covenant. We pay and HMG spends and if we don't like what it's spent on, why should we pay?

As a parting shot a couple of thoughts.

£4k is a lot of tax if your total income is £10k. If your income is £100k then not so much. However, who is to say what a proper percentage should be?

PAYE is NOT a tax. It is an administrative method of collecting tax - if you like every employer acts as an unpaid tax collector. Many of my former clients were subject to PAYE on their incomes and it makes no difference in terms of claiming tax relief, other than perhaps a timing issue.

Happy to take questions or to accept brickbats from those who think my position is hypocritical.

David Camerons hypocrisy on 12:12 - May 12 with 1066 viewsMooCowTheThird

Are you in favour of a simple flat tax?

Scrap 100% of all taxes, tax law, tax breaks, schemes and subsidies.

Then have a simple one off tax applied to an individual's income, or a corporation's income - it might be progressive, but it would mean the tax return could be filled out on a single page of A4:

Funnily enough, most accountants are not in favour of such a simple tax system. ;)

Poll: Do we need fewer Doc threads?

David Camerons hypocrisy on 12:14 - May 12 with 1063 viewssaints__fan__73

Let's not let facts get in the way of a left-wing witch hunt.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

David Camerons hypocrisy on 12:19 - May 12 with 1049 viewsCapt_Koons

Cameron's family hide millions oversees, as does the family of Osbourne. All Tories are just out to feather their nests, and the country knows it, that is why the Tories haven't won a election for 22 years and won't win the next one.

We're all in this together remember?

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

David Camerons hypocrisy on 12:24 - May 12 with 1035 views1885_SFC

All this is nothing new of course...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/8999890/Tony-Blair-and-the-8

Old School is Cool

David Camerons hypocrisy on 14:35 - May 12 with 991 viewsdune

They're all in a tizz because UKIP are going to win the European elections. As election days nears the fits of the vapours can only intensify I'm afraid.

http://www.westmonster.com/
Poll: Given his track record should Les Reed be allowed to appoint the next manager?

David Camerons hypocrisy on 14:40 - May 12 with 985 viewsArthurHucksake

He pays a sight more than Farage who has all his money held in an offshore account in the Isle of man.
And still dinlos vote for him.

I know for sure you are he. No question about it. You are rude, agressive and angry just like doc was. You fool no one lambkins.

David Camerons hypocrisy on 15:01 - May 12 with 973 viewsdune

It could be argued that the rag worms you forage on the mud flats are your offshore account. Hypocrite.

http://www.westmonster.com/
Poll: Given his track record should Les Reed be allowed to appoint the next manager?

David Camerons hypocrisy on 15:03 - May 12 with 965 views1885_SFC

Prey tell Arthur - who do YOU think we should vote for on the 22nd... and why?

Old School is Cool

David Camerons hypocrisy on 15:07 - May 12 with 951 viewsLeslie

Are your teeth in a jar in an offshore glass?

Poll: Will you buy the new shirt(s)

David Camerons hypocrisy on 15:33 - May 12 with 941 viewswebberg

No, I'm not in favour of a flat rate personal tax.

Tax should be progressive and based on ability to pay. I would perhaps simplify and say that all income under say £12k is tax free and then have a 20% rate to £50k and a 40% rate to £1m. After £1m I'd reduce the tax rate to perhaps 30% as people in that bracket tend to spend their money in the UK creating more tax.

Corporation tax would be turnover based. Every sale in the UK would be subject to a 0.5% tax rate and I would abolish VAT.

David Camerons hypocrisy on 16:10 - May 12 with 919 viewshuelinsaint

Everybody should be on PAYE, Because he has buckets of cash why should Gary Barlow for example pay a lower percentage of his earnings in Income Tax than his cleaner?

David Camerons hypocrisy on 16:16 - May 12 with 914 viewshuelinsaint

Most of what you say there i concur with, but i would add a Tobin Tax of 0.5% to every financial sector transaction as well. They would squeal at first but they would pay, none of them want to leave London no matter how they bleat.

David Camerons hypocrisy on 16:17 - May 12 with 911 viewshuelinsaint

That's why civilised countries have progressive tax regimes, to try and make the said animals a bit more equal.

David Camerons hypocrisy on 18:05 - May 12 with 891 viewssaintjeff52

I'm not quite in my dotage, but I don't really get what you are trying to say.
I was a TOHG with the Board of Inland Revenue at Southampton 5, Overline House from 1970-1973. The method of paying Tax is much the same now as it was then.
All I was saying in my earlier posts is that we are all duty bound to pay Tax on our Income, but we are not obliged to pay more than we legally have to. There is nothing wrong to use legal means to minimise your Tax liability.
MytchettSaint, I only pay a small amount of Tax as I only get a small amount of Income ! Don't worry though, I get by ok. I exist on Cheese on Toast, and at Xmas I add Baked Beans as a present to myself !

David Camerons hypocrisy on 18:32 - May 12 with 874 viewsArthurHucksake

I pay more in tax than the wänker Farage does, but then again most people do.

I know for sure you are he. No question about it. You are rude, agressive and angry just like doc was. You fool no one lambkins.

David Camerons hypocrisy on 18:35 - May 12 with 873 viewsArthurHucksake

In the local elections I always vote for the candidates that live locally regardless of the party they belong to. In the European elections I'll vote for whoever is most pro European , what's the point in voting for an anti European in a European election , they get into the European parliament and then set about making us pariahs within that institution. Does our country no favours.

David Camerons hypocrisy on 18:37 - May 12 with 873 viewsMytchettSaint

Apologies stjeff, reading back my post it didn't come across as intended. Without wishing to speculate on what you earn I was alluding to the fact we pay tax not just on income but also value added tax, council tax, duty on fuel which is a tax etc...I'd wager you have paid a bit more than just 4 grand in tax!?!?

Hope the cheese on toast and baked beans were nice though.
[Post edited 12 May 2014 18:38]

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

David Camerons hypocrisy on 09:16 - May 13 with 824 viewswebberg

Apologies if I have offended, definitely not my intention.

"TOHG" - brings back a few memories. I was TOHG in Salisbury District (number 643) from 75 to 79 and only left because I was refused a promotion as Maggie Thatcher decided to rid the Civil Service of all vestiges of hope, pride in the job, satisfaction, adequate reward.

I agree totally that tax is a legal matter and nobody should be obliged to pay than the law says.

It is however incorrect to say that a taxpayer subject to PAYE cannot claim the same sort of tax relief as seen in the Barlow case.

It's also worth pointing out that the Barlow case runs to 146 pages of judgement and I would be very wary of a 20 line tabloid summary of that!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024