Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview 08:07 - Aug 8 with 1992 viewsOneDaveBamber

At the usual place. Comments welcome as always.

http://measuredprogress.co.uk/opinion/conversation-201415-season-preview/

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 09:24 - Aug 8 with 1967 viewsPoolman

Agreed a lot more with you ODB than I did with JK - I never saw Matt Gilks as being an outstanding keeper and if he makes the number one spot at Burnley his own I'll eat BasilRobbie's fish supper!

Poll: What did you do with Fonz?

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 12:51 - Aug 8 with 1926 viewsOneDaveBamber

Lunchtime bump.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 12:55 - Aug 8 with 1921 viewsdaveclayt

Interesting read, largely agree with the thoughts of both of you. I generally agree with your assessment of the players more than the other bloke's, for example the suggestions that Ian Evatt could come back and play for us and that Gilks will get into Burnley's team...

Overall a balanced and realistic assessment of our chances this season.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 12:57 - Aug 8 with 1921 viewsWizaard

Agree with much of what you say, although maybe I'm looking at the recruitment from last year, and see an overall better standard of player coming in now. For that reason, I'm less focused on the potential downsides of them.

Obviously, it's been a shambles, and many are signing too late, but in many cases, those players have been with us for a number of weeks, so maybe tactically we won't be strangers. What we are lacking is match practice, despite a couple of behind closed doors games this week. Rochdale today, I believe.

I'm not going to have a pop at Gilks either, but last season wasn't his best, as I said on a number of occasions.

Think he'll only get game time at Burnley if Heaton has a disastrous run or gets injured, and even then, they might go down the loan route.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 13:15 - Aug 8 with 1911 viewstde74

Excellent blog as usual.

Top stuff.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 13:17 - Aug 8 with 1908 viewsrealistic

Yes, what tde74 said.

Always a good read.

''quod saveris metes''

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 15:08 - Aug 8 with 1876 viewsseasider13

ODB, do me a favour and stick to the match analysis/tactics etc which you do an excellent job at,

This "conversation" if i had overheard it in a pub, i would have shot the pair of you down in flames, what a negative load of old rubbish,

Relegation fodder before a ball has been kicked, ffs,

You dont have to be Einstein to realise we have had no pre-season, but come kick-off we will have 11 men out on the pitch with something to prove, plus for once we have a manager who can look Karl in the eye and not back down, or take the easy route and flounce off to pastures new.

Rant over, COME ON YOU POOL.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 15:24 - Aug 8 with 1864 viewsGrayth

I think you'd have had a job shooting them down in flames, given their opinions are based in fact. Three teams have to go down. Why shouldn't Blackpool be one? We have the smallest and least prepared squad of players. If we stay up it will be against the odds.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 15:25 - Aug 8 with 1862 viewsOneDaveBamber

Totally entitled to your view seasider13. We'll see what happens, won't we? None of us know for sure and I'd rather be pleasantly surprised by overperforming expectation than having blind faith when it's been a complete mess of a summer.

Regardless, I'll be there tomorrow lending my support.

Cheers for all the comments everyone.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 15:44 - Aug 8 with 1836 viewsseasider13

I think "blind faith" has come in very handy over the years supporting BFC,

Maybe its because ive always been a "glass half full" type of supporter and im putting a lot of faith behind Jose Riga, but i think we will be a mid-table team this season.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 15:48 - Aug 8 with 1829 viewsOneDaveBamber

I'm not quite sure how being "glass half full" ties in with your signature...

I'm impressed with what I've seen of Riga too, but in truth that's very little. What we know about his footballing ethos is virtually nothing, and he's been dealt a poor hand.

Anyway, opinions are posted for people to agree or disagree with and you're quite entitled to disagree. I hope you're right.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 15:57 - Aug 8 with 1820 viewsseasider13

Dont read too much into my signature odb, i was just mucking around with all the bells and whistles on this site, i will change it to something else when im in the mood.

COYP.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 16:43 - Aug 8 with 1798 viewsTangerinePeteFY8

Good stuff as usual Chris.

Not sure about quality of input from JK ???
I know its all about opinions but ......

Gilks to replace Tom Heaton as Clarets No1.?
- very unlikely. TH was prob best GK in our league last season.

Not a big deal letting Harrison McG go ?
- a very big deal. Undermines the whole purpose of having a Youth set up.

Evatt could still do a job at CB for us ?
- He wasnt fit enough to get a contract in Aug 2013. Played in fits and starts at Chesterfield. Would not do a job back at BFC.

Jose Riga not a good fit for BFC ?
- JR is exactly what we need. Good rep for decent football, not desperate, and seems not to be putting up with usual KO nonsense on funds agreed.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 18:52 - Aug 8 with 1754 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

ODB

thanks to you both (once again) for taking the time and trouble to do this.

There are some things in there I agree with ; the first being that Ferguson is better serving his managerial apprenticeship in Scotland's lower leagues than in the rarified atmosphere of the Championship.

I also agree that the handling of the McGahey situation has been perplexing, although a lot of people are getting a bit giddy about him on the basis of very little. I think it's in part because we desperately want one of our home grown players to succeed.

On the squad as a whole, I think it is very hard to evaluate them. Players like Cubero, Lewis, Oriol and Orlandi look like very good acquisitions. Mellis could be either an new Ince or a new Bruna. I've always liked Miller, and like Delfuoneso a lot IF he plays down the middle.

The rest look solid, rather than spectacular. The only one I wouldn't have signed under any circumstances would have been Clarke, because I think he will struggle against time and his own personal history with us.

Overall - I think bottom half, as things stand. I can't agree with your conclusion that we will go down for a number of reasons. For one, I think that the manager's recent experience at Charlton will help him, and his acumen as a coach is well respected and acknowledged. For another (and most people have overlooked this), there are still three weeks to go in this window and others will come in.

Good read though. You might have split it in two, I think. Although where the split would be I'm not sure.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 19:06 - Aug 8 with 1746 viewsbottle

I quite like the conversational approach in the blog and as we know the game of football - for those not playing - is all about opinions ( and those who can't do .... Etc) I would bet that you could have the same topics of conversation with anyone and they wouldn't ever match what was said in the blog.

A great deal made of mcgaheys release but I suspect it's more from the principle of letting potential slip through our fingers than the actual player who was very raw. When you consider just how good Colin Greenhall was when he suddenly found himself in the team all those years back, there is absolutely no comparison with his quality and the young lad just gone.

As for Gilks, I would say keepers are very much of a muchness really, occasionally an outstanding one appears on the scene - joe hart for instance - but in general there really aren't many poor keepers about, just the defence in front of them or the sheer quality of the opposition. I would say any keeper that doesn't flap, commands his area and organises his defence, can kick strongly and is quick off the line and inspires some confidence would be considered a good un. Gilks might be missed, but he wasn't irreplaceable.

Good stuff anyway and look forward to more through the season, cheers.

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 10:28 - Aug 9 with 1709 viewsWindyMiller

ODB - agree with the comment below - your analysis is absolutely spot on and a credit to you but this was a bit embarrassing

ODB, do me a favour and stick to the match analysis/tactics etc which you do an excellent job at, This "conversation" if i had overheard it in a pub, i would have shot the pair of you down in flames, what a negative load of old rubbish,

Poll: Should Karl Oyston resign or be sacked?

BLOG: In Conversation — 2014/15 Season Preview on 10:30 - Aug 9 with 1707 viewsOneDaveBamber

Each to their own I guess. We can't all agree all of the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024