Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 22:09 - Oct 20 with 2413 viewscamberwell1

I just wanted to let those that stood or sat with my dad (Denis) over the last 60 seasons at Bloomfield Road that he passed away last week.

Dad was a teacher at Millfield High School in Thornton and over the years taught people like Mickey Burns (whilst teaching in Preston) and Iain Hesford (who called out 'Hello Sir' at a Bloomfield Rd training session.

He brought us up watching Pool in the late 60's and I got to most of the home matches with him in the 1970-71 season - we (Paul, Mike and John) were hooked before we were 7 years old. My best recollection was being at the last match in '71 v Law, Best and Charlton half sat on a wall and half on his shoulder - it was jammed and half the Man U fans were up the floodlights!

Dad and his brothers got beaten up when Pool won the Cup in '53 - he was at school in Bolton and the local lads were already celebrating and didn't hear the last ten minutes or so. They actually thought Dad and his brothers were making the score line up.

He only went to Wembley once for the Cardiff Final, a journey where mum only decided to accompany him to the match on the train down. Mum had a 100% record though she'd only seen a handful of matches since the early 60's they were all notable Pool victories - we never expected to taste top flight football but mum was the lucky talisman that day and just kept repeating 'I can't believe it' all the way through the match. The heat and the drama was unbearable for all of us.

Dad loved football and most of all the Pool - the journey from the pits of the 4th Div to the Premiership in 10 years is something very special in footie and it was a privilege for us a family to witness it match by match - so many finals, so much fun.

Cambers

Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 on 22:31 - Oct 20 with 2392 viewshertfordseasider

I'm so sorry for your loss mate, terrible news and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I lost my dad 7 years ago now and his last Pool game was the play off win against Yeovil at Wembley. Never a days go by when he isn't in my thoughts and he started taking me to BR the same year your dad did.

You will have many memories to cherish and you will still think about making that phone call to speak to him about Blackpool and everything else, I still do it now. You will also have conversations with him when you are driving around, but you have shared wonderful moments together over the years and you will never forget them.

Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 on 22:50 - Oct 20 with 2366 viewsNorthantsSeasider

We were very sorry to hear this sad news. I would not be a Pool fan today if wasn't for your Dad's kindness in taking us to matches throughout the 1970's. I have very happy memories of all of us squeezing into his car for the trip from Fleetwood to Blackpool on Saturday afternoons to watch the Pool from the South Paddock. He was a fine musician as well.

Condolences to your Mum and the rest of the family.

Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 on 22:58 - Oct 20 with 2348 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Paul

so sorry to hear your bad news. At least you have these irreplaceable memories ; I hope they are a comfort to you and your family.

Robbie

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 on 23:06 - Oct 20 with 2344 viewsdodgy_surname

My old man took me 70-71 South Stand, I was 8. Burns, Hutch, Craven, great days! City at home is the game I remember most, ended up 3-3.
Thoughts for a Seasider.

Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 on 23:23 - Oct 20 with 2338 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Dodgy, we were 3-1 up with less than ten minutes to go.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 on 23:47 - Oct 20 with 2326 viewsdodgy_surname

I know that Baz, It's remembering those days and who took you and how important our club is.

Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 on 06:29 - Oct 21 with 2303 viewsstraightatthewall

Paul,

Really sorry to hear this news. Sympathies and best wishes go to you and the rest of your family.

It was only the other day that I was telling someone about your dad's way of teaching about the common agricultural policy. Odd I know, but I think you might know what i'm saying.

Best wishes, dave

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Denis Lupton RIP 1938-2014 on 16:05 - Oct 21 with 2087 viewsTejas

Sorry for your loss Cambers, your Dad taught me at Millfield and I was very sad to hear the news. Mr Lupton was a great teacher and a decent man - RIP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024