Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
01:00 - Jan 1 with views

What is a full house At St Mary's on 10:57 - Dec 30 with 1288 viewsdirk_doone

It was the same when we were at the Dell. Seats left empty for fan segregation and club employees plus a certain number of season ticket holders and away fans who can't attend because they are ill or away at work or on holiday, account for the missing few hundred. There always seem to be quite a few empty seats in the away section. I guess some always change their mind about making the long trip after they've bought tickets.

Some clubs, like Portsmouth, count the season ticket holders whether they attend or not. I think perhaps in the past Saints used to do that too. Maybe the policy on counting freebies, like club employees and players' families, has changed too, for tax reasons. It's clear that the number of seats available for sale is less than the official capacity, which is the major reason why our average gate will only be around 95% of it.

It's my belief that if the capacity were 28,000, the average would only be around 27,000 and if it were 38,000, it would be around 37,000.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2014 11:21]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

What is a full house At St Mary's on 11:20 - Dec 30 with 1219 viewsTheKraken

As Nick says, against Chelsea there were quite a few boxes empty. Also there were surprisingly quite a few empty seats around me (Itchen/Chapel corner) and I could see a few very small pockets of empty seats around the Chapel and Kinglsand corner.

The segregation area looked fairly small against Chelsea though, so I was surprised to see the total attendance quite that low. We do seem to typically use quite a lot of seats as a barrier between home and away compared to some other PL clubs you see.

What is a full house At St Mary's on 11:24 - Dec 30 with 1203 viewsdirk_doone

That's very true about the large segregation area. I don't know if that is on police advice. Most other clubs don't seem to need so much. Having a large empty section behind one of the goals always looks terrible on TV and in newspaper photos of goals scored at that end.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2014 11:26]

What is a full house At St Mary's on 11:24 - Dec 30 with 1195 viewssfc1971

I think as it used to be done on tickets ripped at turnstiles the attendance was done on actual tickets sold. nowadays with the new electronic system its actually showing exact amounts that attend games.

Plus we will never ever get a full Stadium due to segregation rules. why cant a concrete wall of some kind be constructed between opposing fans as we see at plenty of other grounds?

Poll: Have we reached our peak as a 6th - 10th placed club?

What is a full house At St Mary's on 11:28 - Dec 30 with 1184 viewsdirk_doone

You have probably hit the nail on the head, sfc1971: the new electronic counting system vs the old ticket system would make a difference to the official attendance figures, especially as quite a few people who attend, like fans in wheelchairs and their carers, club officials and players families don't get counted now. I saw a gate opened and a few people being let in without having to use the electronic scanner at the Chelsea game.

A moveable fence would be a good solution, as numbers of away fans fluctuate. Better still would be an upper tier on the Northam for the away fans.

If we are still around 4th at the end of the season, the demand for season tickets next season is going to be sky high and the club is going to have to look at how to squeeze seats into every available nook and cranny.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2014 11:38]

What is a full house At St Mary's on 11:32 - Dec 30 with 1168 viewsSaintNick

few of points Dirk

Firstly the segregation netting in the Northam is the same size as its always been, they do sometimes put a smaller one in the Itchen corner but not that many seats are taken up

Secondly they do include season ticket holders who dont turn up in the total attendance, but even if they didnt it doesnt make sense that 400 or so are ill etc nowadays, but this wasnt the case ten years ago and everyone turned up

Thirdly perhaps the odd one or two away fans cant make it after having bought tickets but this would be a few, as i said st marys has around 500 seats more than it is licensed for, this allows for segregation netting and leaving spare seats in the away end to allow for overcrowding etc

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

What is a full house At St Mary's on 11:41 - Dec 30 with 1152 viewsdirk_doone

I think sfc1971 has explained the main reason for the difference: the new electronic counting system used, which doesn't count everybody who has bought tickets or even everybody who attends.

What is a full house At St Mary's on 12:12 - Dec 30 with 1097 viewsTheMoog

The high attendance against Liverpool a couple of years ago was because Rickie's family were down.

Standby to standby

What is a full house At St Mary's on 12:23 - Dec 30 with 1078 viewsSaintNick

Perhaps that could explain it but plenty of other clubs have similar systems yet still get full houses to their stated capacity, so are Saints fans prone to getting ill or not turning up more than their counterparts ?

Given that the full house this season was 500 short of the old full house figure, I cant see where we could have got in an extra 500

Ok maybe 6 -8 boxes empty so that would be 60-80 off the capacity

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

What is a full house At St Mary's on 15:26 - Dec 30 with 972 viewsdirk_doone

1 in 60 from those who've bought tickets, who would have been included in the attendance figure in the past but aren't counted by the electronic scanners now, not attending, would explain it. Assuming most season ticket holders and away fans who purchase advance tickets are going to miss at least one match every 3 years, through illness, work commitments, holidays etc, that seems a reasonable ratio.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2014 15:34]

What is a full house At St Mary's on 16:32 - Dec 30 with 897 viewskingolaf

3 of a kind and a pair, just like it is everywhere else.

What is a full house At St Mary's on 10:53 - Dec 31 with 787 viewstrotsky

Maybe the fuzz can help...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/12/manchester-united-attendances-po
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024