Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Foolish to think Riga takes no blame 09:14 - Feb 15 with 3458 viewsWronga

Seems to me the other board has become so obsessed with blaming everything on the Oyston's that they can't see how poor Riga's appointments were over summer. Even looking at the strikers he brought in Zenjov, Miller and Ranger - all his choices - none were anywhere near what we needed. Not saying that Clark has done any better with his scatter gun approach but I bet 9/10 of our fans if they would have been asked to put together a squad in the time that Riga was given before last season could have done a better job. His obsession with foreign players and his inability to deal with the fact we didn't have any sort of fire power up front will be his legacy for me. (oh and making McMoan captain!)

Poll: Graham Westley or Neil McDonald

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 09:25 - Feb 15 with 3456 viewsMr_Brightside

There is too much black and white with what has happened at Blackpool over the last 12 months (and beyond) and whilst your post will win you no fans, I still believe had Riga been in place when he should have been at the end of the season rather than two months later then he would have done a decent job. Oyston made the job for him, and anyone else, near on impossible because of the task in hand with just 8 players in the squad.

Poll: Next win will be against?
Blog: The Love I lost

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 15:46 - Feb 15 with 3395 viewsWizaard

He was always going to struggle once Oyston wasn't sanctioning his signing choices, but it didn't hel pthat he wouldn't countenance other options.

The battle of egos between the two of them meant we were stuffed before the season even started.

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 15:57 - Feb 15 with 3389 viewsPlumbs

Wizz:
'Struggle' isn't word-stood no flaming chance like Ollie and Appleton and looking back Hendry.

If the club thought it couldn't / wouldn't back the Riga revolution then it/they shouldn't have appointed him in the first place.

* Has the bloke who blamed the fans for letting the club down under Cartmell appeared on this excuse thread yet?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2015 10:42]

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 09:08 - Feb 16 with 3317 viewsOdinsRaven

Riga has 7 points from 9 in his new role...

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 12:22 - Feb 16 with 3265 viewsRusty2Stands

If the club thought it couldn't / wouldn't back the Riga revolution then it/they shouldn't have appointed him in the first place.

And they shouldn't have been splashing it all over the media as the Riga Revolution.
The poor bloke never stood a chance, like any manager who comes here and has to work for that utter buffoon.
We now know the reason why Koko was splashing it all over the media, yet another cynical ploy to sell season tickets. I don't believe he had any intention of backing Riga.
Just like he has no intention of backing any manager.
The only surprise is the number of people who fell for it.
He's got plenty of form for that sort of thing.

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 20:17 - Feb 16 with 3196 viewsTejas

Will we ever get a straight story about the Riga debacle? I'm struggling to understand why Riga has never legally (as far as I know) challenged Oyston's outrageous allegations about him, and frankly if Karl Oyston declared the Earth to be round then I would join the flat earth society!!

However, I simply don't blame Riga for any of it - and yes, that may be some over emotional bias on my part, but I do have some simple logic. First of all the cancer that has inflicted the Club was evident well before Jose Riga. Also, Oyston employed him and made a massive issue over the "change" - the so called revolution. He then spectacularly failed to back him and went on a grand sulk that would make a 10 year old blush. At then end of the day Oyston was supposed to have the best interests of the Club at heart (laughable I know) - Riga was just an "employee".

Karl Oyston to blame then - 100%.

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 22:37 - Feb 16 with 3156 viewsribble

Riga's attempt to play hard ball with Oyston was never going to succeed, something the manager was seemingly slow to grasp. Oyston should have backed him of course (or at least to a reasonable degree), but when all is said and done the behavior of both parties last summer was pretty reprehensible and, boy, have we paid the price. To absolve Riga of all responsibility for the outcome of that debacle is, in my view, pretty naive really.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2015 22:38]

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 08:21 - Feb 17 with 3118 viewsFountain

What should Riga have done differently?

slap me on the patio

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 09:47 - Feb 17 with 3103 viewsstraightatthewall

If we had done a Portsmouth and the club were in a state of total financial disarray, then I would completely agree that Riga would have to take some of the blame. But we are constantly told - by Karl, Owen, Mosser and TAM - that the club is in a much better place now than it has ever been. On that basis alone, it's fair to think a manager might be given a sensible budget and also be allowed to spend it in a way that gives him some chance of building up a squad to at least compete in the Championship.

The propaganda pushed out by the O's since it became clear Riga wasn't going to be a patsy, has been to suggest that Riga was all about bungs and money. We will never know just how true that is. All I can say is that when Clark took over, the only players he's been able to sign were either out of work, kids who'd never played at the level or players from the leagues below who had absolutely zero chance of adding to their inherent value.

I could find myself playing Devils Advocate and saying 'Ah, but with the terrible state Riga left the club in, it's simply not sensible to throw money at Championship players now that we are almost certainly down anyway.' The only problem with that line of thinking is that it ignores everything that happened from the West Ham game, right up until Clark took over.

I don't know why they are doing it - although i'm pretty certain it relates to the VB court action.... - but I do know who are the consistent 'offenders' in this farce.

The idea that a manager is at fault for not following a terrible plan and trying to make the best of it, is absurd. If the owners of any business create a plan that is proven several times over to be faulty and wrong, you don't keep blaming the person charged with trying to implement the plan.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 18:41 - Feb 17 with 3018 viewsPlumbs

Great post satw and it's good to see a poster of your intelligence and perception making his mark on here. It helps of course that you don't alternate between sticking your head up your arse or in the sand like some (smiles)

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 19:51 - Feb 17 with 3001 viewsMephistopheles

Great reply SATW.

My analogy for this farce holds true - 'How do you sleep at night apportioning ANY blame to the brain surgeon when he is asked to perform operations with only funds for blunt instruments?'

Think the OP title needs amending to 'Foolish to Blame Riga at all' IMVHO...

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 20:30 - Feb 17 with 2979 viewsribble

If you really want to use that analogy, Mephs, then I suggest that any self respecting surgeon would not only refuse to operate under those conditions, he would walk away; not repeatedly delay the operation until the health of his patient is in terminal demise and then go in with the substandard instruments anyway. If that was a real life scenario then damn right I would blame the surgeon.......... AND his employer.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2015 20:32]

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 21:40 - Feb 17 with 2956 viewsphil007tangerine

The o/p is either a WUM or completely clueless -take your pick.

The responsibility lies with the owners -end of story.

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 22:05 - Feb 17 with 2939 viewsMephistopheles

Ok ribble what if the surgeon was promised the funding for the right tools before signing a contract then left in a catch 22 as only AFTER signing did the truth become apparent i.e. that he wasn't getting said funding after all?

We could probably do this all night...

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 22:54 - Feb 17 with 2912 viewsribble

I think we've contorted that analogy enough as it is, Mephs, but no surgeon who valued their professional integrity would stand for it. They'd be whistle blowing to the BMA within seconds, believe me.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2015 23:05]

Foolish to think Riga takes no blame on 07:30 - Feb 18 with 2873 viewsolneyseasider

The better analogy is the Belgian taxi driver who gets a call to Claughton Hall. On arrival a man with a strange haircut comes out to greet him, pushes three strange men in tangerine into the back seat and then commands the driver "Take them to Bloomfield Road to watch a thrilling game of football".

At the same time he leans across the taxi driver and takes the keys from the ignition.

"Take them to Bloomfield Road I said" and then the man with the funny haircut jumps around, waving the keys for all to see and smirking.

The taxi driver thinks to himself "this chap is not the full Belgian Euro" but then even more bizarrely the three men in tangerine start to shout from the back of the taxi "Take us to Bloomfield Road for the thrilling football, you horrible man. We want football, we want football. We will miss the game AND IT''S ALL YOUR FAULT!".

The taxi driver sits there fuming for a while, wondering what to do, but in the end he just concludes the English are very odd, and he's better off going to a different country.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024