Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
it's probably kinder this way 17:20 - Apr 6 with 1600 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Today probably sums up our season pretty well. Relegation while we aren't even playing serves to underline our general impotence all season ; meanwhile, all our local rivals are securing handsome wins. It's been a long time coming, but the bragging rights we've enjoyed for the last seven or eight years are finally gone.

There will be plenty of recriminations flying around in the next few days, and the club's owners have to accept that they will be richly deserved. The appointment of Riga and the stand-off that followed set the tone for a campaign that stumbled from one disaster to another and was by turns baffling, bewildering and ultimately shaming.

Whether the chairman feels as wretched as we all do this evening is an interesting question. He probably doesn't, but unlike us he can respond in a manner that befits a proud football club AND makes a real difference to our chances of bouncing back. That means deciding whether he is going to back Clark or sack him, to start with. It also means clear communication with supporters about how he plans to restore the status and reputation that the club have lost on his watch.

It also means that there has to be a change of thinking at the club, and that is the easiest thing to wish for, but the hardest thing to see happening. We need to see some signs of the club viewing footballing progress as not merely a means to a financial end, but an end in itself. It means taking pride in our performances and doing all the small things that contribute to our success. It means doing things for overtly footballing reasons.

All this has to come from the very top, but the chairman doesn't have to do it all on his own. He has to make some difficult decisions, and this is probably one of the few times when he'll be forgiven for taking bold ones. I'd like to see him swallow his pride, go and rescue Thompson from the hell-hole that is Elland Road and install a Director of Football who can handle recruitment and let Thommo get on with what he is best at, which is coaching. I'd like him to delegate a footballing budget to the people he appoints, and then let THEM decide how to spend it. And I'd like him to start viewing the club's supporters as the 12th man, rather than the enemy within.

WIll I get all these things? Probably not. But some things have to change - I doubt whether the club's core support could cope with another extended period in the footballing wilderness. And without them, there is no club.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

it's probably kinder this way on 17:58 - Apr 6 with 1554 viewsPNENIL

They need to sell the club and sod off.
Nothing else is acceptable.

it's probably kinder this way on 18:01 - Apr 6 with 1552 viewsAVFTTConvert

The comment about Thommo is spot on Robbie and getting Matt Williams from a Shrewsbury Town who are now top of the league would be another good step. The best thing Karl can now do is issue a statement that he is resigning as Chairman. Until then there will always be a bitter taste in the mouth for any success we may experience in the future.

Poll: Worst 'Regular' First Teamer at the moment?

it's probably kinder this way on 18:02 - Apr 6 with 1547 viewscamberwell1

Fair comment Robbie and my condolences to you as a fellow supporter and friend.

I'm afraid the only root and branch options for me and best thing KO can ever do in the rest of his life, is to get out of footie asap leaving the club keys behind tomorrow (he could even post them to you lad, with an apology for abusing our support.).

Then we need someone we trust (more) in after an EGM, yes to Thommo returning but we also need a strong experienced manager and building for next season needs to start asap too. Afraid that'll cost. Our first goal is to stabilize in the 3rd tier (forget F/wood etc) it's about what we do now.

As fans we have to be united - if we can kick this Club into shape we have a chance - if it's not in place by the end of July then we're finished and I agree I'm afraid most of us wont stand for any more than this - I've seen this Club fold once but I never expected to see it go this way again (and far worse).

I think we've stomached enough in our life time as supporters - we need a break.

best wishes
Cambers

it's probably kinder this way on 18:16 - Apr 6 with 1480 viewsWindyMiller

All very well made points and none of the vile stuff I'm reading on Twitter - some of these people need to get life in perspective!

Two lads below who clearly weren't alive when we were really bad!

Poll: Should Karl Oyston resign or be sacked?

it's probably kinder this way on 18:21 - Apr 6 with 1457 viewsKOSBowlCut

I bet the O's would quake with fear if they saw those two turning up!

Back to Robbie's post - the Oyston's have never taken the sensible, obvious approach in their lives. They will stick with Clark, am not saying that's a bad thing, deny him what he needs to take the club forward (blaming poor crowds and awful season ticket sales no doubt) and I'd agree with those who say that we will struggle next year in what is a better league than the one we left.

Poll: Would you play Nile Ranger from the start against Reading?

it's probably kinder this way on 18:32 - Apr 6 with 1401 viewsWizaard

To some extent, this relegation has not left me distraught because it's been such a long time coming with no hope of reprieve.

Talk of the Oystons changing their ways are exactly that, as deep down we all know it won't happen. Root and branch reform is essential and that starts at the top.

it's probably kinder this way on 18:44 - Apr 6 with 1360 viewscamberwell1

And I forgot to add - Clark is one of the worst manager's I have ever have had the mispleasure to come across in football -he's absolutely useless - he has got to go and the sooner the better

I'm sure most of our better halves could do a far more professional job than he's ever done at this level.

it's probably kinder this way on 01:19 - Apr 7 with 1203 viewsterminallytangerine

Fine analysis as always BRB.

The one man who can do something about this needs to eat some humble pie and begin again.

If the Os are staying - and it seems they are - they need to learn from their mistakes rather than repeating them ad nauseam.

A bad day for us all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024