Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 10:52 - Jan 28 with 10501 viewstraininvain

Just catching up on yesterday's football watching the Liverpool va WBA game. What a shambles!

VAR on 13:07 - Jan 28 with 5317 viewsBromleyHoop

It’s hard to imagine a more amateurish way of implementing video technology than having the ref running off the pitch to look at a TV screen. Considering football is the worlds most popular sport is this really the best they could do?

Video technology has enhanced cricket, tennis and rugby but this is a feckin’ embarrassment.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

VAR on 13:28 - Jan 28 with 5284 viewsMedwayR

I don't think the ref goes anywhere, someone in a tv studio looks at the footage and advises the ref as far as I'm aware, I certainly didn't notice the ref looking at a screen yeaterday. Seems the best way to do it to me although the need to speed it up a bit and it also leaves the fans in limbo unsure whether to celebrate or not...

Poll: Who’s better?

VAR on 13:57 - Jan 28 with 5260 viewsHantsR

But on this occasion, the ref did run off the pitch to watch the replay!

VAR on 14:21 - Jan 28 with 5233 viewsPinnerPaul

Yep - football wanted it and now football has it.

Seen before where ref runs off pitch and looks at monitor about 6 months ago.

Liverpool pen was relatively quick, when ball doesn't go out of play after penalty shout it can take even longer.

Its nonsense to say it works in cricket, tennis, rugby so why not football - erm because they are different sports with far far far more stoppages in play than football.

It works - gets to the right decision - question is , is the change to game - stoppages, delays etc worth it? A big fat NO from me on that one.

Best bit yesterday was the debunking of the risible claim that VAR would stop players arguing - Liverpool penalty confirmed and just the 6 WBA players surround the ref!

Its used extensively in Australia and its been a disaster. FIFA want it to work so will plough on regardless - be prepared to have the sport we love changed/ruined folks.

VAR on 14:21 - Jan 28 with 5232 viewsMedwayR

Really? I must've missed that, why did he need to do that?

Poll: Who’s better?

VAR on 14:28 - Jan 28 with 5228 viewsSharpy36

It was when Salah was pulled down for the pen. I`m not sure if the actual ref gets the final say in that instance, but if so that would be why he watched it on the screen.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

VAR on 15:48 - Jan 28 with 5158 viewsPinnerPaul

Ref gets final say on everything.

Alternative is game is refereed by two people, one of whom is sat hundreds of miles away from the match.

VAR on 16:40 - Jan 28 with 5095 viewsBoston

Valid in theory, but nonsense on yesterdays performance. Embarrassing for the Ref and killed the flow of the game.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 16:40]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

VAR on 16:42 - Jan 28 with 5090 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Just when you need it most!

Still don't think anyone knows why Man City had a goal ruled out today

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

VAR on 16:44 - Jan 28 with 5083 viewsthame_hoops

But didn’t every VAR decision end up being the correct one?

VAR on 16:44 - Jan 28 with 5082 viewsNorthernr

Said it would be a shambles, and it is.

And I'm sick of reading "it works in cricket, rugby..." etc because it's not true. It's a shambles in rugby league as well.

This post has been edited by an administrator

VAR on 16:52 - Jan 28 with 5070 viewsDeepcutHoop

That won't make much of a difference to those that decided it wasn't going to work before it came in sadly.

Any positive like correct decisions being made (see the absurd disallowed goal at Cardiff without VAR) will be ignored and the negatives focussed on.

VAR on 17:15 - Jan 28 with 5033 viewssexton

If defenders know they will be penalised for holding or pulling an attacker in the penalty area by a video ref then maybe they will stop doing it. Or we could carry on with refs randomly penalising defenders once every 47 matches.

VAR on 17:27 - Jan 28 with 5024 viewsdaveB

They need to improve the communication but they are getting the decisions right which is a good start. I really don't see the problem with trying it

VAR on 17:40 - Jan 28 with 5004 viewshorshamHoop

It needs to improve in terms of procedure and speed but has to be a good thing, ultimately the decisions were correct yesterday, it is hard enough watching QPR without seeing them lose goals like the one at Bolton that had crossed the line a few years ago.
I think it has improved rugby union, cricket and tennis. There was a decision today in the one day game which was challenged by England and was out in a close game.

The big difference is that in football, you still get too many players surrounding the referee(as what happened in yesterdays match) - should be the captain only.

VAR on 17:50 - Jan 28 with 4984 viewsactonman

I'm sorry but but that was never a pen in a million years and I don't care what anybody says !
Yes brom player grabbed his arm but fcuk me salad , I've seen 80 year old grannies getting off the bus show more strength to stay on there feet.

Would be more optimistic if the ref looked at it , went over to salad and said fcuk off mate what are you ? A nine year old girl. Show some fking dignity you big cnt !

Other than that, it put right decisions that may have gone against both teams but now you see it in action it sort of takes the unknown out the game and will make it a bit sterile.

VAR on 18:41 - Jan 28 with 4941 viewsterryb

The only good think about this yesterday was that VAR reached the correct decisions.

Against that is how long it took to reach their conclusion & that time wasn't added on for the reviews:-

1) VAR reviews in the first half totalled 5 minutes. Time added on was 4 minutes. The 4 minutes included 4 goals & 2 substitutions plus West Brom arguing against the review decisions.

2) In the second half time added on was 4 minutes & that was the amount played. However, during that extra time VAR caused a 2 minute hold up but was not added to the extra time!

VAR on 19:50 - Jan 28 with 4884 viewstraininvain

I'm not convinced he did. The Salah pen decision looked soft.

Anyway, there's a complete disconnect between the decisions being made and the experience that paying fans have in a stadium.

But I suppose that's fine so long as people watchinhg on the tele at home know what's going on!

Supporters are paying to attend a live game and they don't know what's going on for major decisions. Surely this is a massive problem?!

Imagine if we got a last minute winner at Stamford Bridge (we can dream!) only for a five minute consultation to follow with the goal eventually overturned for unknown reasons. Surely at some point this will cause a riot!
[Post edited 28 Jan 2018 19:56]

VAR on 21:01 - Jan 28 with 4826 viewsVancouverHoop

They could get around your final point by having the ref mic'd and making a public announcement after the review. This is how the NFL, NHL, CFL and other leagues handle it.

Personally I loathe video review in any form. In no way has it made the any sport "better," only slower. It's least intrusive in gridiron, which consists mostly of game-breaks and time-outs anyway. It's much worse in sports that depend on constant flow and momentum shifts, such as football and ice hockey. It's horrible but I'm afraid it's with us for good because TV loves it.

VAR on 21:11 - Jan 28 with 4813 viewsBoston

....and the whiners.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

VAR on 23:45 - Jan 28 with 4724 viewsCheshireR

Most of the people I know, who actually attend matches, are strongly against VAR.
A sharp contrast to the many armchair 'experts' who seem whole-heartedly in favour of it.
It's adoption will ruin the game.

VAR on 23:49 - Jan 28 with 4719 viewsDeepcutHoop

Iron-clad statistics.

'We' don't want it.

'They' want it.

Amirite lads?
[Post edited 29 Jan 2018 0:38]

VAR on 08:49 - Jan 29 with 4617 viewsblacky200

The problem is that the people sitting at home watching the game get 10 replays from 10 different view points and can clearly see if a decision is right or wrong. Then they say that we can see it in 20 seconds so why can't the bloke making the decisions.
Hate VAR and will take away from football one of the things you discuss about in the pub afterwards. I agree that refs make wrong decisions (and when they do against us i'm one of the ones calling them s**t) but they are honest wrong decisions.

VAR on 16:11 - Jan 29 with 4498 viewsPinnerPaul

Read my post - I'm not ignoring the positives - but if you're happy to wait 4 mins plus for a penalty to be confirmed or not cheer when a goal is scored until it is 'confirmed' then fine.

In the unlikely event it reaches the Rs level in its current format, I will stop going to matches.

VAR on 16:12 - Jan 29 with 4497 viewsPinnerPaul

and India still refuse to use it in cricket I believe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024