Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question 08:47 - Jul 18 with 2890 viewskropotkin41

I met a big Scottish guy yesterday - his size is not really relevant - and asked him his name. He said "people call me Y-i-d." I was a little bit taken aback and not wanting to just look dumbstruck, said "Like a Spurs fan?" He didn't get the reference but told me that his name is "short for Hamish". Was he winding me up, is this a thing, or is he uniquely blessed with a name which is also considered hateful and unacceptable by lots of people these days?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 09:18 - Jul 18 with 2815 viewskarl

Never heard it but Hamish used to be a nickname for James.
There's a lot born now who are named Hamish.
I work with a man named James and he has always been call Hamish.
Could be a city thing, Dod or Doddie is the Edinburgh area name for George for instance

Edit to James!
Don't tell Hamish I got his name wrong😁
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 9:34]

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 09:21 - Jul 18 with 2801 viewshantssi

My wife’s grand father was born John but was always known as Jock.
Surname, Scotland!!

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 09:29 - Jul 18 with 2780 viewsLythamR

are you sure you hear him right?

My guess is he said "yin". a scotts term for a big bloke

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 09:41 - Jul 18 with 2750 viewshertshoops

Billy Connolly is often referred to as 'The Big Yin'

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 09:51 - Jul 18 with 2726 viewsMick_S

Scottish bloke we used to see at Harrow Borough was simply called Mick the noo. Never got his surname.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 09:54 - Jul 18 with 2725 viewseastside_r

Yes, this is what I think.

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 11:31 - Jul 18 with 2645 viewsAirtomoreira

Yin is a Scottish word for one, not big. Hence Billy Connolly being "The Big Yin" - The Big One. If yin meant big, then "The Big Yin" would mean "The Big Big"

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 15:35 - Jul 18 with 2454 viewsTacticalR

He is The One.

Air hostess clique

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 16:04 - Jul 18 with 2403 viewslightwaterhoop

Was his name Hamish Cohen?

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 18:10 - Jul 18 with 2273 viewsjohncharles

Every other dog in Scotland is called Hamish

Strong and stable my arse.

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 18:26 - Jul 18 with 2243 viewsmikeygunn

Fun fact: My cats called Haggis

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 20:51 - Jul 18 with 2073 viewsBoston

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers? Hmm, take your pict really.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 16:05 - Jul 19 with 1804 viewslondonscottish

That's a new one for me.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 17:50 - Jul 19 with 1735 viewsCiderwithRsie

As in "heid yin" = Head One i.e. bloke in charge, boss.

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 17:54 - Jul 19 with 1730 viewsCiderwithRsie

If it's short for Hamish and Hamish = James (same as Seamus in Irish, I believe) maybe it is some form of Jim?

Scottish people or Scotland dwellers... Question on 20:27 - Jul 19 with 1669 viewsBoston

Not forgetting Jaime in the Spanish lingo...Himeyz (sorta).

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024