Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow 09:28 - Sep 17 with 5488 viewsBAWHoops

Well, time to pass the sickness on to the next generation! (Also my wife has said if I want o go as much this season he has to come with)
He's 4 and a half so anyone with any advice on how to get through the game with a kid that age please feel free to share!

Hopefully we score a goal so he at least has something to shout about!

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 13:59 - Sep 17 with 1867 viewsstowmarketrange

That’s a Friday night sky game so he will be able to sit in every seat in the lower loft I think.Assuming he’ll be sitting there?

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 14:01 - Sep 17 with 1867 viewsQPRSteve

He was well embarrassed by his Uncle Bill.

It must be at least 20 years ago.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 14:01]

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 14:16 - Sep 17 with 1840 viewsPinnerPaul

Taking my son to his first game.................................................... since his 2 year old daughter was born!

Looking forward to it.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 15:58 - Sep 17 with 1778 viewsMick_S

I love badges. I haven’t been in Uxbridge Cricket Club for a while; the last time I was there they had a frame on the wall, and mounted behind the glass, on some green snooker baize, were badges supplied by all the visiting teams ( possibly, mainly, Crown Green bowling teams). The pins were placed into the cloth and it looked bloody superb.

I’m going to do that one day. Not a cats chance in hell that will be allowed on the hall wall, mind.

Edit: Good Luck BAW and little BAW.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 16:13]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 01:17 - Sep 18 with 1694 viewsBoston

aw, that's lovely..reminds me of a day in 1978(?) when I lay down and fell asleep on the away terrace at Ashton Gate..awoke to find myself in the arms of the Bristol constabulary.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 01:38 - Sep 18 with 1680 viewsBoston

Crikey, who'd vote that down!!!?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 03:43 - Sep 18 with 1663 viewsNW5Hoop

Apologies for self-promoting, and to those who have read it before, but I wrote about taking my boy to the game a few years back. We started coming when he was six, and it was often the luck of the draw if he’d be engaged or bored. Sometimes he just didn’t want to stay and we’d leave early. Sometimes when it was time to set off for the ground he couldn’t decide if he wanted to come or not, and he’d break down in tears of frustration. I got us seats in the front row of the West Paddock: awful view of the match tactically, and open to the elements, but - it put a little kid right up next to the players (and the QPR bench; he’s got so many autographed programmes), and it had legroom for me.

He turns 18 the week after next. He still sits next to me in the Paddock nearly every game. Proud to be a Ranger in an Arsenal part of town.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/24/my-son-football-fan-qpr

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 04:46 - Sep 18 with 1646 viewsstowmarketrange

I often used to take my daughter to away matches,and she enjoyed them much more than sitting in the lower loft every other week.
She is now 19 and with work and the boyfriend she has given up coming to games.We had some good trips as well as some bad ones.
Two that stand for the wrong reasons were Yeovil and the cattle truck train,with people laying on the luggage racks.Also the away coach to Burnley wasn’t the best idea,especially when they put on the Inbetweeners dvd.Not ideal viewing for a 12 year old girl.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 06:53 - Sep 18 with 1623 viewsRBlock

Thank you for posting that, really enjoyed it. Absolutely bang on about the experiences of the day being more important than the football itself.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 07:34 - Sep 18 with 1617 viewsdavman

Happy Days. Taking my son to the game when he was 6 was the best decision. He was getting into football and I told him that I wouldn't stop him if he wanted to support anyone else, but I'd probably end up not talking to him about football. Also, I would not take him to see any game live and would not let him go by himself 'til he was 18.

Did the trick. He is a proper fan and great company during the games now that he is 15. Being honest, he' s re-kindled my love for it all which waned when Briatore and Ecclestone were in charge. Totally different experience from the past - no missing kick off because we need *one more pint* and I actually remember some of the games - I spent the 90# and early 00s so hammered I barely remembered the first halves!

Hopefully the start of a beautiful story. Keep them Rs!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 08:08 - Sep 18 with 1603 viewsnix

Agreed. Love the article NW5.

Except in our house, it's the mum that shouts a bit too enthusiastically. As for the swearing, we just said that it's allowed at football but not elsewhere, and I didn't ever hear them using the colourful language, so that seemed to work. It's been great to keep the bond going with my lads. How else would I really identify with hormonal, wanting to be independent teenage boys? I can't imagine the 17 year old wanting to hang out with us anywhere other than the football, but he comes to see the Rs as long as he's not actually playing himself. And the 20 year old is coming back from Sussex uni to the match today. His dad's taking him out for a drink afterwards, so there's some proper male bonding too.

And if you can afford it one day, being a mascot is a great birthday present. It's expensive but my younger boy will never forget being the mascot for a QPR Man City game. He was on Match of the Day, beaming, held Richard Dunne's hand on the way out, and got to run around the pitch. It's literally the only birthday present he remembers regularly.

Away games are also brilliant when they're a bit older. It's an excuse to visit places you might never go to across the country and we've had some really memorable trips.

Hope you have a great day out OP.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 08:17 - Sep 18 with 1598 viewsHantsR

Just another thought, both times I took my young grandchildren, we had our photo taken outside the ground in SAR in front of the picture of Rodney, Stan, Les & Gerry & co '100 years'. Super record for the family archive.

I hope you all have a great, memorable day.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 20:34 - Sep 18 with 1525 viewsWesley2Hoops

My dynamite tip for getting kids through football is a variation on a drinking game. Put 2p or 5p in a pot for every throw in, corner, goal kick etc. Obviously you can do it on your phone at live games.
If QPR score at any point they get to keep whatever's in there. Other team scores it goes back to zero. They'll be paying attention and my two were cheering us on like instant die hards!

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 12:26 - Sep 19 with 1394 viewshovehoop

Loved the article NW5 and everyone's reflections on bringing youngsters to R's games, home and away.

We did the mascot thing too and because of the occasion my mum and wife decided to come and it was possibly the first time both had been to see the R's. It was against Scunthorpe I think. Our group was bigger than usual and we got seats together near the away supporters. I was settling in to watch the game and my wife has taken offence at something Scunthorpe were singing and got on her feet and started shouting in their direction. She was really getting into her stride when I gave her a nudge and told her they are currently working out a song to sing just to her and it won't be nice so she had better sit down. So she did. I thought that was the end of it. But once the game got underway she then wasn't best pleased about the refereeing decisions and turned to my mum and asked her if they should both start calling the ref a 'banker' and my mum agreed that they should! Haven't taken either of them to a game since.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 12:39 - Sep 19 with 1376 viewsthame_hoops

Didn’t know you were Michael Hann. This is amazing. I love your music articles

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 15:18 - Sep 19 with 1295 viewsPinnerPaul

He enjoyed it, 1st 15 minutes he was asking what all the fuss was about - eg me telling him how good we are, every time I see him!

After that he got it!

He was especially impressed with SJ, Willock and Dykes.

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 15:46 - Sep 19 with 1273 viewsParkRoyalR

He was especially impressed with SJ, Willock and Dykes........as we all are, you're lad obviously knows his football!

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 15:57 - Sep 19 with 1251 viewsPinnerPaul

He used to play for a local club - loves his football, but family, kids, life all get in the way.

He'll be back regularly I'm sure - especially once his daughter is old enough to be dragged along!

His mate (Upper Loft ST) DID text him at half time, two words ...."Go home!"

Taking my Son to his first game tomorrow on 10:15 - Sep 20 with 1089 viewsrobith

...can I shock you?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024