Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road support 12:04 - Feb 25 with 5559 viewsBeckenhamhoop

I’d quite understand that a match involving any team placed 22nd in the table against the team at the bottom would be a rather depressing prospect. The fact the Loftus Road was sold out, the place was rocking and we were fully behind the team (and have been for quite some time now despite deep moments of frustration and anxiety) is pretty remarkable.
It’s support like that that lifts a team and contributes to success.

I’d say our support deserves a big pat on the back. Well done everyone.

Loftus Road support on 12:28 - Feb 25 with 3985 viewsDavieQPR

I think it as much getting behind the Manager as getting behind the team.

Loftus Road support on 12:35 - Feb 25 with 3945 viewsNorthernr

Some good celebration scenes in this...

Loftus Road support on 13:43 - Feb 25 with 3672 viewsEsox_Lucius

As I mentioned elsewhere, there were around 10-12k fans still in the ground after the game applauding the team until they left the pitch. For the most part, the fans at games are a lot more supportive of the team than you see in social media posts.

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road support on 14:08 - Feb 25 with 3558 viewsNorthernr

That's almost always the case. The chats in the Crown pre- and post games are completely different in tone, mood, topic etc than the ones you read online, particularly Twitter where the priorities are signings, signings, signings and saying the most OTT, angry and/or contrary thing you can for clout.

Sadly football increasingly feels like a sport prioritising those at home over those in the ground, and the discourse is lead and dominated by those who weren't, and never are, at the actual games.

As I said in a piece the other week, Mark Goldbridge is basically the biggest individual social media personality in the sport in this country now, turning over a small fortune, selling out theatres for live shows. A guy with an intensely annoying voice, chatting what is universally seen to be complete rubbish, about Manchester United - a team he never goes to see play, and doesn't support.

I'm not saying if you don't go you cannot/shouldn't have an opinion - I wouldn't have much of a message board in that case and one of the best things about this place is it brings together QPR fans from all over the world to share opinions and the love of the club. Football is extortionately expensive to follow in person, no longer a working class pursuit, so I'm in no way looking down on people who don't go or only go seldomly, for whatever reason. I'm more sticking up for the people who do. It just feels like, increasingly, the sport is not for those in the ground. The way VAR is executed is a great example of this.

After Stoke last week I actually saw the people who'd been at the game and were angry described as "who cares what a few hobbyists think".

This post has been edited by an administrator

Loftus Road support on 14:17 - Feb 25 with 3483 viewsE17hoop

Loads more Swiss and Germans in the crowd again this week. Some freebies in the Lower School too - a coachload of kids who seemed to be having a great time.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Loftus Road support on 14:21 - Feb 25 with 3457 viewsWatford_Ranger

Load of blokes in Sweden hats walking down Bloemfontein Road before. Looked like a stag but I thought perhaps Hammarby fans.

Loftus Road support on 15:05 - Feb 25 with 3307 viewsBoston

Watford old chap, this is a Stag...

This is a Hammarby fan

This is a business located in Watford that may be able to help.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road support on 17:00 - Feb 25 with 3060 viewsstowmarketrange

I thought the support was a lot better in the 2nd half than the 1st,and there were quite a few boos at ht.I know we didn’t play well in the 1st half,but booing the team off was a bit wrong in my eyes.
Brilliant 2nd half though.

Loftus Road support on 17:33 - Feb 25 with 2904 viewshighleverhoopL

I think the boos were for the ref?

Loftus Road support on 17:40 - Feb 25 with 2874 viewsChrisNW6

The parade of about 100 young kids walking down SAR heading to the lower school end was a thing of beauty. Hopefully a fair few of those under 8s will return again. Well done QPR.

At first I thought a school trip had taken a wrong turn 😂

Loftus Road support on 17:51 - Feb 25 with 2817 viewsessextaxiboy

Great point on VAR , that Sky and it’s viewers know the outcome of a review before the ref tell the players and fans in the ground is poor .

Loftus Road support on 17:54 - Feb 25 with 2804 viewsNorthernr

That cup final today a perfect example. A totally perverse ruling, that you'd never ever have said "this is what we need VAR for", takes them five minutes to reach, while the camera pans around bemused fans in the stand who have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Loftus Road support on 18:06 - Feb 25 with 2744 viewsPunteR

Those kids all loved sombrero man down at the school end.

Also a funny moment i saw , not that some of our fans saw the funny side, was when the ball got kicked up into B block and two young lads about 12-13 caught the ball and then went and took some selfies with the ball in their hand.. lol

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Loftus Road support on 18:15 - Feb 25 with 2711 viewsstowmarketrange

I don’t think they were as the ref wasn’t too bad in the 1st half.The team were awful in the 1st half but they turned it all around in the 2nd 45 minutes.

Loftus Road support on 18:44 - Feb 25 with 2609 viewsmart_Goblin

No I don’t think the boos were for the ref either. They were because we weren’t very good and everyone could sense that we were about to Sh*t the bed …again if we didn’t liven up .

Don’t get me wrong I’ve never booed a Rangers team or player . But you could feel the frustration around the stands.

Made me laugh listening to Steve Burke saying how wonderful we all are yet we just booed our team off 🤣.

But I get it of course . Thank god we were much better second half.

I’ll actually give kudos to Begovic for once as it was his decision it seems to call a stop to the playing around our own six yard box and actually getting the ball up the pitch and from that moment around the half hour mark we pushed on and improved.
But it wasn’t MC’s call as far as I was aware , it was Asmir’s.

Loftus Road support on 18:48 - Feb 25 with 2593 viewsLanhoop

Opinions I know, but I thought the booing was for the ref too. He wasn’t the worst we’ve seen but he was inconsistent giving Rovrum decisions that we didn’t seem to get. That riles people up.

Loftus Road support on 19:07 - Feb 25 with 2524 viewsAntti_Heinola

Yep, the VDV ruling was insane. Not a single person would've complained about that goal being given. Why are we ruloing out goals no one is even appealing over? It's crazy, this desperation to find a way to rule out every goal scored.

Bare bones.

Loftus Road support on 19:23 - Feb 25 with 2459 viewsNorthernr

Meanwhile a guy snaps that lad's ankle and we can't look at that because because because protocol.

The futures of both my favourite sports are currently being decided, dictated and ruined by a very small unelected group of complete fckwits.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Loftus Road support on 19:29 - Feb 25 with 2406 viewsLordPork

always remember in life....

there's a thin line between self congratulatory comments and brown nosing....

just sayin......

Loftus Road support on 19:51 - Feb 25 with 2305 viewsBeckenhamhoop

I recently heard an argument that footballs VAR should be run a bit more like reviews in Cricket; basically the ref runs the game with no interference from VAR unless the team Capt requests a review on a decision. Each Capt gets a max of two reviews a game. Successful reviews could be retained as per Cricket. This would introduce a tactical element to the game as to whether or not to review and leaves the rest of the game to run as normal. I think it’s not a bad idea in principle.

Loftus Road support on 20:04 - Feb 25 with 2266 viewsOldPedro

I think one of the problems with VAR is ref's sometimes don't make a decision because they think VAR will cover them but then VAR don't intervene because they don't want to make the on-field ref look stupid!

I would just get rid - we don't seem to be getting better decisions, just different decisions.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Loftus Road support on 20:43 - Feb 25 with 2153 viewsVancouverHoop

That's pretty much how VAR works in the NFL, and CFL, too. Coaches get up to two appeals on a field decision. If they're wrong based on video review they lose a time-out. No one off the field of play gets to decide whether there will be a review.

That's the biggest problem in football. If the call for a replay came from a team bench, rather than the on, or off, field officials. And there were penalties for a failed decision — like, say, losing a substitution — then we'd see less of it.

Loftus Road support on 21:26 - Feb 25 with 2026 viewslassel

And worse football is being controlled by the way Howard Webb wants the rules interpreted which would be concerning enough if Webb himself hadn’t spent the vast majority of his career applying the rules in what can kindly be described as a ‘questionable’ manner.

It could only be worse if they’d given the role to Clattenburg.

Loftus Road support on 22:24 - Feb 25 with 1898 viewsRsinWales

Definitely for the ref. He'd made a few odd decisions in the run-up to half time and it was directed at him imho.

Loftus Road support on 23:22 - Feb 25 with 1801 viewsKonk

Took my 9 year old son to Hillsborough yesterday to watch Bristol City (his team) and they were absolute dog sh it. He looked at me at the final whistle, shook his head and said, "Same old City... " and I thought, mate, this is you set for the rest of your life. You'll have 15 boring/pony seasons for every one where it all comes together and you get giddy after a 5-0 at Port Vale in October on your way to promotion via the the play-offs. We had a lovely, funny day, he got to visit one of the great remaining proper football grounds, in a great city. I loved it because it probably reminded me of days out with my Dad doing the same with me. Yeah, I'd rather have been up the road watching Fulham win at OT but fuc k me, I just love going to the football. And I love that my son genuinely loves going to the match. Whatever game, whatever level; just not interested in watching football on the telly. Appreciate that would change if I physically couldn't get to games, but I just Iove being in a ground.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024