Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 21:40 - Mar 26 with 3112 viewsdigswellhoop

match thoughts please

England on 21:50 - Mar 26 with 2182 viewsjeffranger

Played ok & good game to watch for a change, Bellingham good player but similar to our Chair as trying to do too much & not releasing it

England on 21:54 - Mar 26 with 2147 viewsPhilmyRs

Defensively I worry about us, attacking wise I think there’s a lot to like. I thought we played alright tonight, with some of the new players looking decent.

England on 21:57 - Mar 26 with 2122 viewsaston_hoop

Yeah decent enough, I think England go into the Euros very strong now. Mainoo had an utterly superb debut, played well above his years. Jarrod Bowen was excellent and Ivan Toney has probably played himself ahead of Watkins on that. Defensively it was ropey, Lewis Dunk especially looking really far out of place in an international team. But with Stones, Maguire, Walker, Shaw missing for the majority, we have better options

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

England on 22:20 - Mar 26 with 2020 viewsLblock

My thoughts are that the lad Bellingham continues to make me look stupid (not hard)

I doubted him when he was getting caps as a raw teenager
Absolute quality now though

Safegate HAS to take Mainoo
If Phillips and Henderson are in ahead of him then it’s sackable!!!
Sadly it seems Eze will never feature for England as others way ahead of him now

Christ we are pony at the back

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

England on 22:21 - Mar 26 with 2019 viewstraininvain

Yeah it was positive overall with Mainoo, Bowen and Toney all impressive.

My only criticism is why didn’t Branthwaite get any minutes. We look weak defensively and Dunk isn’t the answer imo. A missed opportunity to give Branthwaite a chance.

England on 22:23 - Mar 26 with 2005 viewsSydneyRs

Maguire gets a lot of criticism but would much rather have him there than Dunk.

In a way its not a bad thing we didn't win either game in terms of tempering expectations. Two 4-0 wins wouldn't prove anything either. If the top players are fit we can go close but defensively we are a little vulnerable, but then again who isn't at times.

England on 22:37 - Mar 26 with 1949 viewsdaveB

thought England played quite well, 2 bad mistakes for the goals and doubt that back 4 will play in the summer when Walker, Shaw, Maguire and co are all back. Konsa did quite well though and Gomez should get in due to his versatility. Shame Branthwate didn't play but Dunk been very good in recent years and deserved a chance, sadly for him didn't really take it although did better second half

Mainoo and Toney both excellent, Bowen did well, Foden was better second half when he came inside, looking forward to the summer, thought Belgium looked alright as well

England on 22:42 - Mar 26 with 1911 viewsToast_R

Think Southgate has probably learnt quite a lot from the last two matches. Dunk and Chillwell not good enough and Foden still unconvincing. Toney looks far more a threat than the lightweight Watkins but neither on Kane's level.

Needs to get Rice further forward somehow.
Can England get Trent Alexander-Arnold in the team?
I think we need to play the Brazil 82 philosophy, attack with all the flair available and sod the defence because we're scare the opponents to death. Who knows?
Probably go out on penalties.

England on 22:58 - Mar 26 with 1852 viewsconnell10

I don't watch prem football so I don't know if Foden plays well for his club but I think he is really overrated as a England player. The commentators are always blowing smoke up his arse and I'm sitting there waiting for him to do something, which he never does. Not quite as bad as the milky bar kid Grealish who just seems to fall over every time I see him play for England. They must both rip it up for their clubs.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

England on 23:11 - Mar 26 with 1814 viewsPhilmyRs

Foden is the real deal - a top player and will be in our starting 11. Grealish, I agree he’s overrated, a decent player but certainly wouldn’t make my starting 11.

England on 23:16 - Mar 26 with 1794 viewsconnell10

I think Bellingham is the real deal and probably our only world class player at the moment.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

England on 00:10 - Mar 27 with 1688 viewsdaveB

all subjective but I think Kane, Walker and Stones are all world class as well

England on 00:14 - Mar 27 with 1679 viewsnumptydumpty

i had never seen Mainoo play but was brilliant tonight. Into the first team immediately at United and straight into the England team also. Hopefully he fulfils this very early promise.

Bellingham and Foden top players too. Toney looked a threat and Rice is a top player. Bowen did enough to justify his inclusion also.

If Eze had started at a top club would he be a regular in the England fold already - perhaps.

But he didn't.

From a Rangers viewpoint it would be to our advantage, if Eze had some part to play in the Euros but with the development of Mainoo and Palmer amongst others, I cannot see how he gets in the squad. And his injuries count against him also. Maybe its time for his agent to push for that big club move and to see if he is consistently around better players if he can life his game to the next level required.

Like many others though despite being enthused by all our attacking talent going forwards, our defensive resources are extremely limited and lacking. Our defence might not be in the top forty nations but our attack most definitely in the top five in the world.
[Post edited 27 Mar 0:19]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

England on 00:17 - Mar 27 with 1677 viewsRed_Ranger

Just back.
I thought we played really well a lot of the time.
Best squad ever I reckon.
I reckon this summer could be silverware.

England on 06:27 - Mar 27 with 1479 viewspaulparker

Foden was the best player on the pitch imo
Always looking to move forward and make something happen apart from the pen I thought Toney was poor
Mainoo , Bowen have played themselves onto the plane but it’s a big call to see if Southgate drops Gallagher & Henderson
Dunk reminded me of the days when we had Upson at the back at 32 he offers nothing for the future again you have Quansha ,Colwill Tomori who should be ahead of him and I would have wan bissaka a head of Gomez

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England on 07:16 - Mar 27 with 1423 viewsdaveB

I don't rate Wan Bissaka at all. Gomez was basically 5th choice right back last night due to the injuries

England on 07:25 - Mar 27 with 1393 viewslondonscottish

I went. Expected to be bored, was entertained most of the time instead. Mainoo was impressive, always trying to do something.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

England on 08:28 - Mar 27 with 1259 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Maybe GS' front six are determined now. Saka, Kane, Foden, Rice, Bellingham, and the United kid. I agree that Stones, Walker on their day are nailed on, and Pickford too, and probably Shaw - if fit. That leaves one CH spot. Maguire always has one in him, but you got to admire his character not shirking when everyone thinks he's pony.

That's a bloody strong Starting XI, and to GS' credit, he's got a club side mentality installed within the squad. However, if he tries to play too cautiously, then we'll definitely fall short. If he actually gives it a right effing good go, then we just might...

I just hope I'm not seeing the likes of Chilwell, Mount, Grealish, and Philipps getting unwarranted game time.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

England on 08:41 - Mar 27 with 1236 viewsTheChef

Actually thought Foden was a bit Chair-esque: always wanting the ball and trying to make things happen but last night his decision making was off. Still a great asset for England.

Bowen also looked busy, lots of energy which really helps this team.

I only caught the end of the Brazil game but it seems last night we looked a lot better playing on the front foot with a bit more pace (funnily enough).

I suppose we have a chance if our first choice defence are all fit - but anyway lots of reasons to be cheerful. I was flicking between England and the Wales game, the quality in that was far worse.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England on 08:59 - Mar 27 with 1201 viewsdaveB

I can't see Mount or Phillips getting in the squad, if Grealish finishes the season well he might get in but not at the moment

Maguire gets a lot of stick but he's probably the best we have at the moment, last tournament for him as imagine Colwill or the young Liverpool kid will replace him in the next few years

England on 09:15 - Mar 27 with 1149 viewsEastR

We can put our spending plans on hold for the Eze England money
Just need to focus on what we’ll do with the Man City £80m

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

England on 09:38 - Mar 27 with 1095 viewstraininvain

For all the talk of this Euros being ‘must win’ for England, we look weak in terms of defensive options and you don’t win major tournaments without a solid defence.

Stones and Walker are both good enough, albeit the latter is ageing. Shaw can’t stay fit and then you have the Maguire conundrum. There are no obvious solutions aside from sticking with the tried and tested with a solid midfield shield in front of them.

I would’ve liked to see Branthwaite get some minutes but realistically, we’re not going to throw a young inexperienced centre back into the first team at a major tournament as that’s a recipe for disaster.

England on 10:02 - Mar 27 with 1036 viewsJimboqpr

We obviously started very poorly, the back 5 looked very edgy, but I thought we grew into the game well and created a lot of chances so that was good. Mainoo was probably the biggest positive of the night for me. I really like the way he tries to play forward at all times from deep in midfield and in crowded areas and joins attacks too. As much as I like Rice, I think he struggles sometimes with that aspect of the game so the tempo slows down. If they could build up a partnership in the middle that would potentially strike a really good balance. We missed far too many chances without Kane there and the defense looked so vulnerable on the counter attack against the pace of Doku. Desperately need Stones, Walker and Shaw fit to make it look half decent but even then we look susceptible to conceding in a back 4. Kind of reminds me of a higher class version of when Warbs had an attack of Eze, Bright, Chair and Wells but couldn't trust Hall, Barbet etc to play in a back 4. Big decisions for Southgate ahead, but as long as Bellingham and Kane are fit we've got a chance against anyone.

England on 10:12 - Mar 27 with 998 viewsdaveB

defensive problems came partly from midfield as we left big gaps with so many going forward and open to counter attack, If we go far and face a top side I can't see him playing a midfield that attacking again. Walkers pace does make a big difference and bails us out.

England on 10:23 - Mar 27 with 952 viewsParkRoyalR

The Maguire conundrum is a simple fix for me,

When I played football vast majority of players seem to be Right-Footed, so when you had two Right-Footed Centre Halves in your team you played the more athletic and the better of the two on his weaker side as he had the balance, ball skills and footballing ability to compensate for not playing on his preferred side, maybe similar reason Dunne was played on the left of the two for us as is a better footballer than given credit for by many of our fans,

Playing Maguire on his left for United against top class players is an act of cruelty to him and for England is an act of national self-harm as you just know come key moments against top-level players when pressured on the ball, he will make those key mistakes we've seen so often at club level. If you want to play him he has to be on his more comfortable side as when pressured can just play long down his preferred side.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024