Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ched Evans - comment 17:04 - Jan 11 with 1193 viewsOsbourne

The Sunday Newspapers' are trying to say that it is unlikely that Ched Evans will return to football now for a further 14 months, say for the beginning of the 2016-17 season.

They are trying to put forward the notion that having his conviction quashed is now his only hope of playing professional football in England again.

Ched Evans has already been denied an appeal.
Currently an application for his case to be heard by the Court of Appeal is being considered by the Criminal Cases Review Commission. The Commission is expected to take months to decide on this right.

The Observer Newspaper comments on Steve Bruce, the Hull City manager, daring to say anything, by writing this :
"Who knew as well that Steve Bruce had trained as a defence lawyer and understood more about the intricacies of the Evans case than the 12 jurors who sat through the trial, saw the witnesses take the stand and devoted themselves to 8 days of evidence and cross-examination in court? Steve Bruce has said the following :

'I might be upsetting people but there is a question of the rape and how he's been convicted,' Steve Bruce also volunteered :
'When you look in detail - and I don't think most people have really, because they have just seen Ched Evans as a convicted rapist - Ched has got a case.'

And there we have it : the manager of Hull putting a jury right on the basis of some newspaper reports, a bit of fiddling around on Google and a few clicks on a highly dubious campaign website".

The Observer Newspaper also criticises Gordon Taylor, the Chief Executive of The Professional Footballers' Association, for daring to say anything. It also criticises Eric Hall (I'm not sure who he is - as far as I can see he is someone who use to appear with Harry Enfield in loadsamoney and now works for Phoenix FM which is a radio station in Romford, Essex) who apparently argued with Ms Charlie Webster (a former Sky Sports presenter) on Channel 4 / ITV news. Exactly what these 3 people said I do not know.

Anyway, there you have it.
The Observer Newspaper claiming that Ched Evans will not be back playing professional football in England until the beginning of the 2016-17 football season.
Steve Bruce, Gordon Taylor, Eric Hall and Charlie Webster all airing their views on the subject.

My comment? There was me initially thinking about Ched Evans's fitness and whether or not it is possible to keep fit in prison?
I still think that our Chairman should sign Ched Evans to the end of the 2014-15 season and see if he can bang in some goals for us. I'm worried about having to watch Division 1 football at Bloomfield Road in 2015-16. If Ched Evans can score goals, and his strike rate for Sheffield United was good, I say sign him. There are enough journalists hanging around Bloomfield Road anyway this season, what difference will one or two more make?

Just my subjective opinion. How do other AVFTT posters see it?
This chap can score goals. He needs a shop window.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 22:22]

Ched Evans - comment on 17:17 - Jan 11 with 1175 viewsWizaard

He might need a shop window. There's no chance of it being us, given the current media spotlight on the club and the owner's previous for the same offence.

I do think that there is an argument to say that someone who has served his time should be allowed to return to play football.

I don't buy into this role model nonsense. It's not for footballers to set an off field example.

Having said that, I wouldn't want us to be the club.

Ched Evans - comment on 17:18 - Jan 11 with 1174 viewsmoney_money_money

Osbourne, you seem a little obsessed with this guy, my opinion, for what its worth is there are far more important things going on at our club at the moment to be bothering about than Ched Evans.
He is not coming here anyway so let it go, is my opinion.

Ched Evans - comment on 18:05 - Jan 11 with 1153 viewsTejas

Football Clubs and their players represent the Town they are named after. That's what makes it so wrong with how "some" club owners treat the fan base. I was living in Lincoln when they became the first club to be thrown out of the professional league. The Mayor wrote a piece in the local rag saying how embarrassing it was for the City and how everyone should pull together to get Lincoln back in the league.

Society has come a long way in the last 20 years demonising rape and making sure rape victims can come forward and "safely" report the crime. If Evans was teacher, a politician, a policeman, in the armed forces or any other public institution he would never be allowed back in, given the conviction.

If he's innocent and "has a case" as Bruce says, he needs to get his backside back to court and convince a jury - that's how the system works. In the mean time I wouldn't want a convicted rapist anywhere near my Club.

Ched Evans - comment on 18:06 - Jan 11 with 1152 viewsOsbourne

money money money,

Blimey, I thought that was an informative piece!

The media seemed a trifle obsessed with this story too.

I too, am bored with it. However, I don't think that it is going to go away in a hurry unfortunately. Steve Bruce has given the sunday Newspapers their story. I must say, Steve Bruce really does fall into the "classic" football manager role. I like him. Always have!
[Post edited 11 Jan 2015 18:07]

Ched Evans - comment on 18:25 - Jan 11 with 1135 viewsmoney_money_money

O K Osbourne fair enough, you're certainly not the only one but you did ask how others see it and I'm afraid that's how I see it,

Ched Evans - comment on 18:30 - Jan 11 with 1126 viewsjosuah98

Ched Evans has his reputation to think about, he will never sign for us
[Post edited 11 Jan 2015 18:30]

Ched Evans - comment on 14:45 - Jan 12 with 1008 viewsLala

Whether you agree with this 'role model' argument or not, my take is that if you ask 200 UK boys between the ages of 8 to 14 in this country who theIR hero is.....footballer's would come out on top, or thereabouts.

They are role models whether we think they should be or not, look at Beckham, the nation has catapulted him into Number 1 male role model in England.....and all because of football and his on-pitch/off-pitch behaviour......speaks volumes.

So no - I don't want a convicted rapist who has not shown remorse ever to be applauded by me and my children, on or off a football pitch.

If he shows serious remorse or has his conviction over-turned then my opinion will change, but not until then.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Ched Evans - comment on 21:41 - Jan 12 with 920 viewsOsbourne

I guess that this story will go quiet for a while now. Both Sheffield United and Oldham Athletic have tested the water. It is clear where public opinion lies.

Still, it is an interesting story. A very disturbing story too, for many reasons.

Subjectively, like Harry Redknapp and Steve Bruce, I think that Ched Evans should be allowed back. I haven't met with much support on AVFTT, but I don't mind saying, that I would be quite comfortable with Pool giving him a shop window until the end of the season, in the hope of goals. Pool really are not scoring enough goals at all. I would not mind the media scrum that it would all bring either. I still am strongly of the opinion that if Pool are going to go down this season, then they must go down with a serious fight. I am really convinced that Pool can get that 21st Championship place. Remember, once in Division 1, it is not going to be easy to return.

Just a thought, but as 'Wizaard', 'money money money' and others have said, I guess the Ched Evans signing isn't going to happen.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2015 21:43]

Ched Evans - comment on 22:24 - Jan 12 with 899 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I think he should be able to resume his football career too. He is as entitled to earn a living as anyone else.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Ched Evans - comment on 22:36 - Jan 12 with 893 viewsArchibaldKnox

So, the NFL and the Chedwyn saga teases him out...

Edit to add: Not forgetting the French baby giraffe on ice as well.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2015 22:41]

Ched Evans - comment on 09:09 - Jan 13 with 842 viewsscratchingshed

He should be able to continue with his career to make a living yes but as a footballer no.

Let's not forget even Owen could not continue as the chairman of this club so his wife had to take over.

Anyway Cheds girlfriends father is a millionaire so I am sure he won't be going without a meal.

Ched Evans - comment on 15:31 - Jan 13 with 784 viewsOsbourne

scratchingshed,

Take a look on page 11 of the Gazette today (Tuesday 13.1.15).

There is a letter printed there and the view point is at a tangent from yours!

Ched Evans is a footballer, a modern day gladiator.

This is a message board encouraging debate.

I, as a Pool fan, would have no trouble about Ched Evans leading Pool's line in the hope of goals. Pool do not score enough goals by a country mile. If he cannot score goals for Pool, then good bye Ched! I am concerned about sitting in the West Stand next season, playing against Fleetwood and if Pool are lucky, Preston. I am not interested in the morality of the issue. Evans has been in prison for 2 and a half years. That was his tariff. Someone is going to give him a shop window, and he is going to score a lot of goals.

It's how I see it. I don't mind putting it out there. Steve Bruce and Harry Redknapp say, "give the guy a chance".
Ms Charlie Webster (ex Sky sports) says, put him in the stocks and throw rotten eggs and tomatoes at him for time eternal. She has been popping up everywhere. Who is she? Ched Evans is simply a professional footballer, that is all. Ms Charlie Webster should channel the media attention she attracts, by going for someone who deserves it. I would suggest .......... and .......... and..........and..........and..........ad nauseam!

I side with Harry and Brucey!
So there you have it scratcher! A little bit of humour thrown in. I truly respect your opinion, I just do not agree with it. I don't mind a retort. Don't be too hard with me! nb Steve Bruce was lampooned by the Sunday Newspapers!
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 8:24]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024