Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackpool hero Keith Southern fears big clubs are under threat 07:37 - Mar 20 with 53 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool favourite Keith Southern fears the ongoing coronavirus pandemic will see clubs in the lower leagues “go to the wall”.

All fixtures have now been postponed until April 30 in light of the measures being put in place by the Government to counter the spread of the virus

Southern told The Gazette :“Everybody is talking about whether we’re going to get the season finished, the permutations, relegation, promotion, the play-offs, whatever....

“But the bigger picture is there will be football clubs in real threat at this moment in time.

“That’s not just the grassroots or non-league clubs, it’s also big Football League clubs in League One and Two — they will be hit massively.

“Hopefully the Premier League can help with some funding to help these smaller clubs survive in the short-term, just to help them get back on their feet.

“But nobody knows what will happen. It’s unbelievable really. Everything is just in doubt and everything has been cancelled.

“We’re just moving from day to day, watching the news and we don’t know what’s going to occur. Is there going to be a lockdown?

“With all the uncertainty, it’s hard to plan anything at this moment in time.

“But I do fear for chairmen of football clubs, CEOs who have to balance the books and make sure everyone gets paid. It’s going to be a really tough period for them trying to keep everybody in work.

“I fear the fallout from this will see some football clubs go to the wall, I’m afraid.”

Southern, who made over 300 appearances for the Seasiders between 2002 and 2012, is now working as an academy coach at Everton.

Like an increasing number of people, the 38-year-old has been told to work from home.

“It’s completely unprecedented, that’s the word they keep using on the TV. It’s crazy really,” Southern said.

“But it’s obviously serious enough for the Government to bring these measures into place, so we just have to get on with it and do the best we can.

“We’re working from home, which gives us coaches the chance to finally do some paperwork we normally try to put off.

“We’ve just been knuckling down with that and doing a lot of analysis work to get prepared for the players, whenever we do go back in.

“There are things we can be getting on with and working towards, but it’s obviously a strange situation that has never happened before and hopefully it will never happen again in the future.

“We’ve just got to make the best of a bad situation but I am missing it — I’m going stir crazy.

“When you’re out on the grass every day, whether you’re a player or a coach, it’s that bug and that addiction. You miss the interaction and the game you love.

“But obviously there are more important things in life, the safety of everybody is paramount. At times like this football takes a step back.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-hero-ke

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024