Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale Online coverage 12:04 - Feb 7 with 7616 viewsdawlishdale

Why is the coverage of Dale so poor on Rochdale Online?

They seem very capable of publicising sporting events in the town (particularly Hornets, for example) but seem loath to offer much in the way of positive publicity about the football.

This weekend for example, there was an excellent item (together with photos and video links) about Hornets following their fantastic win.

Dale, on the other hand, hardly warranted anything... a short item which in its first papragraph moans at the lack of quality on show and also points out the poor pitch. No photographs, and no positivity whatsoever, unless you count us losing our play off position as positive. No mention of our long list of injured players, or any other mitigating circumstances.

Do they even send someone along. After all, we are the premier professional sporting club in the Borough. It doesn't look like they can be bothered.
Rochdale Online coverage on 12:08 - Feb 7 with 5989 viewsrod_leach

I've often wondered the same thing. I wonder if its easier to get closer to the Hornets with them not being covered by agreements in the same way the football league is? Bury get great coverage from the Bury times, but I guess they are a bigger operation than RO.
Rochdale Online coverage on 13:53 - Feb 7 with 5833 viewsDySporting

It comes down to money, the Bury Times will pay for photos - the Ob since being taken over won’t.

Online used to have a photographer accredited but that has lapsed. I assume there’s a financial aspect with online as well and they won’t/can’t afford to pay.
Rochdale Online coverage on 17:21 - Feb 7 with 5581 viewsmingthemerciless

The lady who does the photography at Hornets is very enthusiastic and energetic. She puts a lot of effort into publicising the club for not much reward, it could well be she doesn't get paid at all as far as I know.
Hard work can take you a long way at the lower levels of sport.
Rochdale Online coverage on 20:42 - Feb 7 with 5382 viewsJoc1967

Rochdale Online coverage on 17:21 - Feb 7 by mingthemerciless

The lady who does the photography at Hornets is very enthusiastic and energetic. She puts a lot of effort into publicising the club for not much reward, it could well be she doesn't get paid at all as far as I know.
Hard work can take you a long way at the lower levels of sport.

Hi I'm that enthusiastic lady! Thanks for the compliment. i do work hard to promote the hornets as I feel part of the hornets family. I send my images to Rochdale online to promote the club. Rochdale football Club should pay a photographer to do the same. Thanks Sports Tog
Rochdale Online coverage on 20:55 - Feb 7 with 5364 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:42 - Feb 7 by Joc1967

Hi I'm that enthusiastic lady! Thanks for the compliment. i do work hard to promote the hornets as I feel part of the hornets family. I send my images to Rochdale online to promote the club. Rochdale football Club should pay a photographer to do the same. Thanks Sports Tog

Why?

The club's official photographer has his images posted on the club's website, Facebook and Twitter, all of which are freely available online. They are also in the match programme.

Rochdale Online and the Rochdale Observer are independent of the club and they should pay for images, if they want any, not the other way round.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:58 - Feb 7 with 5355 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:55 - Feb 7 by TVOS1907

Why?

The club's official photographer has his images posted on the club's website, Facebook and Twitter, all of which are freely available online. They are also in the match programme.

Rochdale Online and the Rochdale Observer are independent of the club and they should pay for images, if they want any, not the other way round.

Plus, there's a difference in tone adopted by Rochdale Online when referring to Dale and Hornets - as someone posted earlier, it's more positive for Hornets

That can't be accounted for purely due to someone submitting photographs

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale Online coverage on 21:05 - Feb 7 with 5340 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:58 - Feb 7 by D_Alien

Plus, there's a difference in tone adopted by Rochdale Online when referring to Dale and Hornets - as someone posted earlier, it's more positive for Hornets

I wouldn't know about that as I don't read the Hornets' stuff, but I'm sure you're right.

Rochdale Online coverage on 21:44 - Feb 7 with 5283 viewsDySporting

The Observer have photographers who have the correct paperwork to take photos. It’s their choice not to pay or send anyone. (That’s people at main office not local)

Rochdale Online used to have accreditation and have chosen not to renew it for their own reasons. They could quite easily get the correct paperwork and pay someone to attend, they choose not to.

Usually at each game there is at least 1 person from an agency attending and again both could buy from them but they choose not to.

I don’t know how many people use Rochdale Online but with all the social media etc, I’d guess that the Football Club get more hits than online. It’d be a waste of money to supply them when Online could organise someone to volunteer for them or get their own licence.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 21:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale Online coverage on 22:51 - Feb 7 with 5196 viewsrochedale

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:58 - Feb 7 by D_Alien

Not sure how you get to that conclusion, as I know Claire at Rochdale Online is a massive Dale fan.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Rochdale Online coverage on 22:59 - Feb 7 with 5178 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Online coverage on 22:51 - Feb 7 by rochedale

Not sure how you get to that conclusion, as I know Claire at Rochdale Online is a massive Dale fan.

And that makes... what difference, to the points that've been made so far in this thread?

What influence does 'Claire' have?

Rochdale Online coverage on 23:18 - Feb 7 with 5147 viewsrochedale

Rochdale Online coverage on 22:59 - Feb 7 by D_Alien

And that makes... what difference, to the points that've been made so far in this thread?

What influence does 'Claire' have?

Not sure actually, she's only a director of the company.

Rochdale Online coverage on 23:20 - Feb 7 with 5139 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Online coverage on 23:18 - Feb 7 by rochedale

Not sure actually, she's only a director of the company.

How nice for her, maybe you could direct her to this thread?

Rochdale Online coverage on 23:23 - Feb 7 with 5119 viewsrochedale

Rochdale Online coverage on 23:20 - Feb 7 by D_Alien

How nice for her, maybe you could direct her to this thread?

I intend to, be nice to hear her opinion.

Rochdale Online coverage on 23:33 - Feb 7 with 5100 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Online coverage on 23:23 - Feb 7 by rochedale

I intend to, be nice to hear her opinion.

And if Claire doesn't feel inclined to do so herself, maybe you could feed back to us what that opinion is? Including, responses to specific points about content raised in this thread?

Rochdale Online coverage on 08:40 - Feb 8 with 4939 viewsmingthemerciless

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:42 - Feb 7 by Joc1967

Thank you for delivering such high class work. The coverage you provide is extremely professional and a credit to you.
Rochdale Online coverage on 09:51 - Feb 8 with 4881 viewsjav14

Rochdale Online coverage on 12:08 - Feb 7 by rod_leach

I've often wondered the same thing. I wonder if its easier to get closer to the Hornets with them not being covered by agreements in the same way the football league is? Bury get great coverage from the Bury times, but I guess they are a bigger operation than RO.

Sports Editor at Bury Times/Bolton Evening News is a Buckets fan.
Rochdale Online coverage on 10:45 - Feb 8 with 4832 viewsKenBoon

Considering the amount of content reporting on the AFC could create and how RO make money through advertisements, it's quite surprising that they're not even rehashing stores elsewhere or doing those annoying "How twitter reacted to..." articles.
Rochdale Online coverage on 18:16 - Feb 8 with 4667 viewspioneer

Rochdale Online coverage on 08:40 - Feb 8 by mingthemerciless

Thank you for delivering such high class work. The coverage you provide is extremely professional and a credit to you.

Interesting JOC works hard to promote the interests of Hornets and that is associated with good coverage. Maybe there is a message in there. Do we believe we can leave public relations to others?
Rochdale Online coverage on 18:26 - Feb 8 with 4652 views442Dale

Rochdale Online coverage on 18:16 - Feb 8 by pioneer

Interesting JOC works hard to promote the interests of Hornets and that is associated with good coverage. Maybe there is a message in there. Do we believe we can leave public relations to others?

Dale's PR has been excellent in recent times. The Observer etc will only improve their coverage when more effort is put in on their behalf.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Rochdale Online coverage on 19:26 - Feb 8 with 4601 viewsTVOS1907

There are plenty of people who work hard to promote the interests of Dale as well, in particular the new additions to the media, marketing and admin side of the club in recent years.

Rochdale Online coverage on 19:45 - Feb 8 with 4572 viewsDySporting

Leighanne, Frances, Russ and many more work tirelessly in promoting the football club. Leighanne in particular needs praise as she does this on her own when many clubs have 3 or 4 people doing her job. If online/ob wanted to join forces and support promoting Dale on top of what they do I'm sure they'd be welcomed.

The football club have 30 thousand more followers on twitter than the rugby club. They have 37 thousand more followers on Facebook than the rugby club. This suggests that what is being done by the club is effective. I'm sure the hornets appreciate their photos and coverage by the local press but the difference in numbers on Twitter /Facebook/official site mean Rochdale AFC have global coverage via their followers and actually want to expand the club outside just the borough.
Rochdale Online coverage on 20:22 - Feb 8 with 4529 viewsfitzochris

The role of the club's media and marketing team is to promote the club, which they do very well.

The role of the local media is to report on the club's activity - and, if necessary, hold it to account. We don't have that.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:46 - Feb 8 with 4492 viewsmingthemerciless

You only have to look at the quality of her action photographs. She captures the emotions of the players in a way that someone just turning up to do a job can't do. Only somebody with real ability and a sense of personal involvement can do that.

No I'm not related. in fact I don't really know her at all, I've just seen the work she does.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 20:50]
Rochdale Online coverage on 20:49 - Feb 8 with 4484 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:46 - Feb 8 by mingthemerciless

You only have to look at the quality of her action photographs. She captures the emotions of the players in a way that someone just turning up to do a job can't do. Only somebody with real ability and a sense of personal involvement can do that.

No I'm not related. in fact I don't really know her at all, I've just seen the work she does.

... somebody who the football club also have, who has been in the role for almost 20 years.

It seems someone is trying to create problems and divisions here.

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:51 - Feb 8 with 4476 viewsmingthemerciless

Rochdale Online coverage on 20:49 - Feb 8 by TVOS1907

... somebody who the football club also have, who has been in the role for almost 20 years.

It seems someone is trying to create problems and divisions here.

That's news to me. I have no idea who the football club employ as a photographer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024